Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,552 members, 7,837,119 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand (13817 Views)

This New ₦4.32 Trillion Istanbul Airport Will Be The Biggest In The World (pics) / Nigerians Who Absconded After Traveling To Russia For World Cup, Cry Out. Photos / Bayelsa Government Says Cargo Airport Will Be Complete By August (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by chekas111: 10:18am On Mar 06, 2017
Nna men those people thief my Rolex watch for my korokoro eyes like this.
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by enigma2007(m): 10:29am On Mar 06, 2017
Yarnvibes:

3. Officials asking for tips
The different officials tasked with the responsibility of ensuring the airport function without any hitches are the ones who use underhand ways to collect tips from travellers. While some greet you excessively, others ask you pointedly to offer them something.

http://www.kikiotolu.com/2017/03/5-struggles-nigerians-who-use-lagos.html

Please change the No. 3 to "ambush by officials"... angry angry
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by Nobody: 10:31am On Mar 06, 2017
The Murtala International Airport is ironically a model of Nigeria. corrupt incompetent illiterates everywhere.
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by Zamzamiu: 10:38am On Mar 06, 2017
... Osinbajo was there and he saw things for himself. Let's shout loud enough till extortion is stopped at our airports.
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by fapcrook(m): 11:16am On Mar 06, 2017
Dirty toilets and open roof
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by madridsta007(m): 11:24am On Mar 06, 2017
Yarnvibes:
The Lagos airport whether local or international is one of the busiest in Nigeria and arguably in Africa. The airport which is supposed to highlight Nigeria’s history, culture and tourism to both local and international travellers is a shadow of itself.

How? When you arrive Nigeria, there should be available information about our history, way of life, choice destinations to visit and best hotels to stay . Unfortunately nothing! The airport is a microcosm of the larger Nigerian society where government services are barely up to scratch.

Even with the concession of the airport, it hasn’t changed its fortunes. So, if you ply the Lagos airport often, Jumia Travel gathers some of the struggles you can readily relate with. This is to encourage the government to fix the Lagos airport to meet international standards because it is Nigeria’s window to the world.

1. Epileptic power supply
You can only imagine the disgust when you arrive in your country and everywhere is dark. It is a rude welcome to Nigeria. The reason for this? The power grid of the airport has shut down. Some people will not be surprised by this because beyond the airport, electricity is unstable. The intermittent power outage at the Lagos airport is the height of embarrassment to use torchlight to taxi your way through the airport. There should be nothing like power interruption at any airport in Nigeria let alone Lagos airport.

2. Fanning yourself
Due to poor ventilation and absence of enough air conditioners, you have to provide air by fanning yourself.

3. Officials asking for tips
The different officials tasked with the responsibility of ensuring the airport function without any hitches are the ones who use underhand ways to collect tips from travellers. While some greet you excessively, others ask you pointedly to offer them something.

4. Spending hours to be cleared
With recurring power outages, you have to spend hours being cleared by the different regulatory agencies at the airport. And there are many of them. Their services are very slow when there is power. You can only imagine how their services will look like when there is no power. It is worse when you still have to fan yourself through this harrowing ordeal.

5. Ambush by Taxi drivers
For travellers who have no one to pick them up at the airport, they are at the mercy of taxi drivers or individuals scavenging for persons who may need their services. As you are leaving the arrival lounge, their voices will be the next you hear. The disorderly manner they ambush travellers who have just arrived is the problem.

http://www.kikiotolu.com/2017/03/5-struggles-nigerians-who-use-lagos.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 seun Dominique

Lol. When I landed at MMIA after being away from Nigeria for an embarrassingly long time, I heard someone shouting, "my Governor!"

I turned and looked around. I had expected to see a sitting Nigerian governor, as we had just disembarked from the flight.

"Governor... Taxi? My taxi is parked outside and it has ac...."

It was then I realised he was referring to me.
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by Nobody: 12:27pm On Mar 06, 2017
charging much illegal fees on firsttimer else u loose your flight, they dont care. 50$ or loose 2k$ ticket evil officers
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by lexylexy(m): 12:41pm On Mar 06, 2017
madridsta007:

Lol. When I landed at MMIA after being away from Nigeria for an embarrassingly long time, I heard someone shouting, "my Governor!"

I turned and looked around. I had expected to see a sitting Nigerian governor, as we had just disembarked from the flight.

for the taxi part, just do yourself a huge favour and call an Uber. it's just one click away. u sure of your safety to an extent and comfort.
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by guychidile: 1:04pm On Mar 06, 2017
when will Nigeria learn and behave like their counterparts round the globe...I Wonder oo.!
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by madridsta007(m): 1:59pm On Mar 06, 2017
lexylexy:

for the taxi part, just do yourself a huge favour and call an Uber. it's just one click away. u sure of your safety to an extent and comfort.

Thanks. This incident happened a couple of years ago, when there were no Ubers. And no, I did not go with a taxi— I had former work colleagues ready there to pick me.
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by akigbemaru: 2:14pm On Mar 06, 2017
Lagos airport agony!
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by def111(m): 3:27pm On Mar 06, 2017
the only darkest airport I have see... no light inside airport too bad
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by chukxie(m): 3:45pm On Mar 06, 2017
Lagos International Airport is a total mess. At the arrival hall this January, an NDLEA agent who was going through one of my luggage blatantly demanded I give him one pair of jeans. I was stunned by his demand and asked him why he even thought I'd give him one of my jeans. I said a fat ''NO", shut my luggage and left.
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by davidif: 5:49pm On Mar 06, 2017
shockwave:
And this made front page?!

And what's wrong with that?

1 Like

Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by Nobody: 6:47pm On Mar 06, 2017
shockwave:
And this made front page?!
lol nawa for nja tongue
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by Nobody: 8:33pm On Mar 06, 2017
Seriously, MMA is a good airport, most staffs are courteous and helpful, I particularly liked it when GEJ was in power, keep flying our flag higher, God bless Nigeria.
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by Nobody: 8:36pm On Mar 06, 2017
chukxie:
Lagos International Airport is a total mess. At the arrival hall this January, an NDLEA agent who was going through one of my luggage blatantly demanded I give him one pair of jeans. I was stunned by his demand and asked him why he even thought I'd give him one of my jeans. I said a fat ''NO", shut my luggage and left.

Total mess because one staff asked you for a jeans, that makes the entire airport a total mess, smh
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 06, 2017
madridsta007:

Even when you go to markets sellers hail you so that you purchase their goods, it's strange to you because you don't know Nigerians as you are a stranger here
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by madridsta007(m): 11:06pm On Mar 06, 2017
Pidgin2:

Even when you go to markets sellers hail you so that you purchase their goods, it's strange to you because you don't know Nigerians as you are a stranger here

Haha! It was strange to me. Struggled a bit for the first few days, but much later, it was fine. I enjoyed my stay.

1 Like

Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by Nobody: 11:20pm On Mar 06, 2017
madridsta007:

Haha! It was strange to me. Struggled a bit for the first few days, but much later, it was fine. I enjoyed my stay.

Nice
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by chukxie(m): 12:34am On Mar 07, 2017
Pidgin2:

Total mess because one staff asked you for a jeans, that makes the entire airport a total mess, smh

Do you use the airport at all? If you do you'd understand the airport is a total mess. From security personnels to trolley handlers to even cleaners all you hear from them is "Oga, wetin you get for us?" Should it be that way?

1 Like

Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by Nobody: 7:10am On Mar 07, 2017
chukxie:

Do you use the airport at all? If you do you'd understand the airport is a total mess. From security personnels to trolley handlers to even cleaners all you hear from them is "Oga, wetin you get for us?" Should it be that way?

Of course I use the airport, you can pay and use the trolley yourself, you guys act like giving tips is just a Nigerian thing, well it's not, you give tips abroad too.
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by chukxie(m): 7:54am On Mar 07, 2017
Pidgin2:

Of course I use the airport, you can pay and use the trolley yourself, you guys act like giving tips is just a Nigerian thing, well it's not, you give tips abroad too.

Tip you call it "tip"! Your definition of tip is hilarious !
Re: 5 Struggles Nigerians Who Use The Lagos Airport Will Understand by lifedynamics: 4:23pm On Apr 14, 2019
pokipoki:

Add the smell, especially at the international arrival
You got it ooo...do you believe this useless smell is still there in 2019??

Using poopoo smell to welcome their guests
Useless country undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Air Peace Deploys Two New Aircraft On Anambra Route / Giant Of Africa (pics) / Two Fuel Tankers Collide In Benue State. 4 Dead (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.