Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,812 members, 7,813,682 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. (492580 Views)

Canada Port of entry interview /experience / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Ramj: 3:46pm On May 01, 2017
atuagbo:

A relative I'll be staying with during my vacation, asked me to bring for her body cream in aluminum tube containers. I hope there wouldn't be problem at the POE?

it wont just check it in with your main luggage not in your hand luggage
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 8:43pm On May 01, 2017
rolly86:
I haven't picked up my passport yet. I will do that on Wednesday. I know they usually give a combined class of B1/B2. Or if it's just B1, Can I still travel to the US subsequently with same visa after the conference?

Yes
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:01pm On May 01, 2017
Michoolu:
Hello House which bank is the cheapest for PTA. Thanks
N360 is the rate.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by monistick: 2:46am On May 02, 2017
Hubby&I got visit visa June 2015, we did not use it.Gave birth In Naija 2016. I applied for my daughter Nov last year.Hubby is busy wit his post graduate program in anoda country, so my daughter and I traveled to US(Indiana) April 15th, but came in thru Chicago.
Qatar Airways.
CBP: Hi ma'am, ur passport pls
CBP: Why are u in US?
ME: To visit my bro and attend his traditional wedding
CBP: how long wud u be staying?
ME: 1 month
CBP: U got a visa 2015, and u never used it till now?
Me: discovered I was pregnant, so we had to plan for our baby
CBP: Are u expecting a baby?
Me: No
CBP: Where do u work and what is your position
CBP: Enjoy .

2nd CBP: (looking at me straight in the eye) U are 29yrs
Me: I am 30yrs
2nd CBPsadchecking again, confirmed my last birthday was march) Ur daughter looks so cute
2nd CBP: How much are you carrying ?
2nd CBP: how long are u staying ?
Do u av any documents? He came to my luggage cart, picked my hand luggage and my baby's cereal bag.
(Sees baby's birth cert and letter of consent and the wedding IV).
2nd CBP: Oh u are here for a wedding, I caught you (jokingly) . U speak good English . I don't need to go further, u are a pretty lady. Am giving you 6 months (Oct 19th) Enjoy ur stay.

All those questions were very brief(looked like we just gisting) and we were right on time for the connecting flight to Indiana

Am still wondering why I was still given 6 months while my visa would expire July 5th. Don't think it matters anyway, cos we wud return in 2weeks

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Wiseoldman: 2:54am On May 02, 2017
Can someone please enlighten me on the 2nd CPB. I was checked and stamped in by one CBP only....

For those who need the info, I came in through Turkish airline. The guy only joking asked the following questions:

1) CBP: How much u carry
Me: 1.5k
CBP: only
Me: yes
CBP: Where u dey stay
Me: YYY
CPB: Why? That's cheap
Me: Yes, but looks good online
CBP: where do you work
Me: Bleep
CBP: Big company, Next time stay in a good hotel, spend the money. Live well.
Me: Oshey

7 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by DKbarry(m): 10:22am On May 02, 2017
Good day house. i got my B1 B2 visa lastweek and am supposed to leave for North Carolina in less than a months time, please which airline is the most affordable (Cheapest) the trip to my destination? It's my first time and am travelling alone. Am travelling with a brand new empty laptop (still formatted it though it's brand new) and my brand new phone (which only has my contact and 10 of my new pictures with my Wedding pictured too). Please i hope the empty laptop and the phone wouldn't raise a red flag at the POE.. thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:38am On May 02, 2017
atuagbo:

A relative I'll be staying with during my vacation, asked me to bring for her body cream in aluminum tube containers. I hope there wouldn't be problem at the POE?
Is this your first time? if it's your first time I will like you to think it well.. To you it's an ordinary cream but to CBP officers it maybe a bomb,contraband and banned substances.. this will surely bring about delay for you at the POE just be careful sha.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:42am On May 02, 2017
Wiseoldman:
Can someone please enlighten me on the 2nd CPB. I was checked and stamped in by one CBP only....

For those who need the info, I came in through Turkish airline. The guy only joking asked the following questions:

1) CBP: How much u carry
Me: 1.5k
CBP: only
Me: yes
CBP: Where u dey stay
Me: YYY
CPB: Why? That's cheap
Me: Yes, but looks good online
CBP: where do you work
Me: Bleep
CBP: Big company, Next time stay in a good hotel, spend the money. Live well.
Me: Oshey

Maybe it's because you have nothing to declare and also you have just your hand luggage.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:46am On May 02, 2017
DKbarry:
Good day house. i got my B1 B2 visa lastweek and am supposed to leave for North Carolina in less than a months time, please which airline is the most affordable (Cheapest) the trip to my destination? It's my first time and am travelling alone. Am travelling with a brand new empty laptop (still formatted it though it's brand new) and my brand new phone (which only has my contact and 10 of my new pictures with my Wedding pictured too). Please i hope the empty laptop and the phone wouldn't raise a red flag at the POE.. thanks
I think Qatar Airline promo will end tomorrow and I see no big deal with a brand new phone and laptop they may even not check it but if they do and you have nothing to hide,you're good to go.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by DKbarry(m): 11:56am On May 02, 2017
seyewest:

I think Qatar Airline promo will end tomorrow and I see no big deal with a brand new phone and laptop they may even not check it but if they do and you have nothing to hide,you're good to go.

Thank you so much sir.. please where can i book the Qatar Airline flight? Any site that you can share with me? and how much is their promo fare?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 12:18pm On May 02, 2017
DKbarry:

Thank you so much sir.. please where can i book the Qatar Airline flight? Any site that you can share with me? and how much is their promo fare?
go to wakanow dot com or travelstart dot com and the days you choose to travel will determine if it will be cheaper or not.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by mrkayodeoludare: 3:40pm On May 02, 2017
seyewest:
go to wakanow dot com or travelstart dot com and the days you choose to travel will determine if it will be cheaper or not.

I came via Qatar weeks back. Booked on their website, and chose offline payment. I paid to their gtb bank accout with d flight details. I got my ticket confirmaton in my e-mail sameday. It was cheaper than wot i saw on wakanow n other agents. U can actually DIY. I paid an extra N200 bank charge to gtb.... It was that simple

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 3:49pm On May 02, 2017
mrkayodeoludare:

I came via Qatar weeks back. Booked on their website, and chose offline payment. I paid to their gtb bank accout with d flight details. I got my ticket confirmaton in my e-mail sameday. It was cheaper than wot i saw on wakanow n other agents. U can actually DIY. I paid an extra N200 bank charge to gtb.... It was that simple
was it calculated in $ and converted to Naira from their site.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by mrkayodeoludare: 4:58pm On May 02, 2017
seyewest:
was it calculated in $ and converted to Naira from their site.

It was in $ I called customer care n was told to multiply by 306.5 d official airline naira/dollar exchange rate.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by careerwoman(f): 7:45pm On May 02, 2017
mrkayodeoludare:

It was in $ I called customer care n was told to multiply by 306.5 d official airline naira/dollar exchange rate.
OhmiGod!! Are you for real?? Knowledge is power
To think that I paid an outrageous amount two months ago through an agent for my flight to Canada. Chai, it is well.. I can't even claim Qmiles now because it's past 30days since I made the trip. Too sad..
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 7:52pm On May 02, 2017
careerwoman:

OhmiGod!! Are you for real?? Knowledge is power
To think that I paid an outrageous amount two months ago through an agent for my flight to Canada. Chai, it is well.. I can't even claim Qmiles now because it's past 30days since I made the trip. Too sad..
The promo does not include flight to Canada and why can't you claim Qmiles?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by DKbarry(m): 8:18pm On May 02, 2017
mrkayodeoludare:

thanks for this info.. please how much did you pay for the flight? was it a round trip or was it a one way flight? i would love to know so as to book mine Asap, thanks.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 8:25pm On May 02, 2017
DKbarry:

thanks for this info.. please how much did you pay for the flight? was it a round trip or was it a one way flight? i would love to know so as to book mine Asap, thanks.
if you have a visit visa to U.S it will always be a round trip ticket.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by careerwoman(f): 9:35pm On May 02, 2017
seyewest:
The promo does not include flight to Canada and why can't you claim Qmiles?
Because I signed up on their website today and it's past 30 days since I made the trip. Terms and conditions apply..
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 9:46pm On May 02, 2017
careerwoman:

Because I signed up on their website today and it's past 30 days since I made the trip. Terms and conditions apply..
oooohhh I see... I've joined a lot of airline mileage program even though I'm yet to fly them.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by DKbarry(m): 9:51pm On May 02, 2017
seyewest:
if you have a visit visa to U.S it will always be a round trip ticket.

i know sir. i just want to know how much the round trip costs because am sponsoring myself for this trip. thanks.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:48pm On May 02, 2017
DKbarry:

i know sir. i just want to know how much the round trip costs because am sponsoring myself for this trip. thanks.
Anywhere apart from New York is N370k upward.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Michoolu(m): 11:07am On May 03, 2017
seyewest:
Anywhere apart from New York is N370k upward.

Qatar airline allows offline pay and they use the current CBN rate and same with some other airlines too. Smart decision to be honest..

Just check the site and you will see the rate for your journey

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by rolly86(m): 2:32pm On May 03, 2017
seyewest:

Yes

So I picked up the passport today. It's B1/B2 for two years and without Annotation.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 4:35pm On May 03, 2017
rolly86:

So I picked up the passport today. It's B1/B2 for two years and without Annotation.
Congrats so what's next?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by mrkayodeoludare: 6:14pm On May 03, 2017
[quote author=DKbarry post=56146237]

thanks for this info.. please how much did you pay for the flight? was it a round trip or was it a one way flight? i would love to know so as to book mine Asap, thanks.[/

Sorry for the delayed response. It was roundtrip $1200+ which amounted to N388,750. In all I paid N388,950 (inclusive of N200 bank charge in favour of gtb) let's just say N389,000. This was for Lag-Chicago roundtrip. I met folks who booked same flight through agents for 450k up. I advice u DIY. Etihad might be kool too.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by DKbarry(m): 12:24pm On May 04, 2017
[quote author=mrkayodeoludare post=56176385][/quote]
thank you so much. now i have an insight.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Imeobong(m): 2:16am On May 06, 2017
Hi all & @ Seyewest & other contributors good job

I have few questions please:

* Got our (Me, Spouse & 3 children) B1/B2 last month, going for family vacation in New Jersey and 5 days 16 years wedding Anniversary in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada after which we will return back to New Jersey to complete our family vacation before our return flight back home.

* Before our interview I fill 1 week stay in US while my family fill 3 weeks as I intended going back to Nigeria from Manitoba due to work load and my wife was to fly back to New Jersey and come back with the Children later, But now, we have change of plan, I intend going back with her to New Jersey so we all come back together after three weeks of entering US, will this be an issue at the POE? Note: My return ticket is in three weeks like that of my family

* I booked (On hold) Ethiopian Airlines with 11hours 30 Minutes ( 8:30pm to 9:00 am next day) stopover at Addis Ababa, will we be offered hotel accommodation for the night or are we sleeping at the airport all night? Need answer please if you have had a night stop over at Addis Ababa

*I also have a cheaper option of flying through JFK from Lagos with a stopover at Doha (Qatar Airways) but like I said, my final destination is Newark NJ, wil it cause us so much inconveniences? Mind you Ethipian Airlines is direct from base (Enugu) while Qatar Air we have to travel to Lagos from Enugu, and also connect another flight from JFK to Newark NJ. The difference is about N600,000.

*Finally will $8000 PTA raise red flag at POE for a 3 weeks stay? taking into consideration the size of my family, my in-law will accommodate us during our stay

Thanks all, will sure share my POE Experience
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 6:45pm On May 06, 2017
Imeobong:
Hi all & @ Seyewest & other contributors good job

I have few questions please:

* Got our (Me, Spouse & 3 children) B1/B2 last month, going for family vacation in New Jersey and 5 days 16 years wedding Anniversary in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada after which we will return back to New Jersey to complete our family vacation before our return flight back home.

* Before our interview I fill 1 week stay in US while my family fill 3 weeks as I intended going back to Nigeria from Manitoba due to work load and my wife was to fly back to New Jersey and come back with the Children later, But now, we have change of plan, I intend going back with her to New Jersey so we all come back together after three weeks of entering US, will this be an issue at the POE? Note: My return ticket is in three weeks like that of my family

* I booked (On hold) Ethiopian Airlines with 11hours 30 Minutes ( 8:30pm to 9:00 am next day) stopover at Addis Ababa, will we be offered hotel accommodation for the night or are we sleeping at the airport all night? Need answer please if you have had a night stop over at Addis Ababa

*I also have a cheaper option of flying through JFK from Lagos with a stopover at Doha (Qatar Airways) but like I said, my final destination is Newark NJ, wil it cause us so much inconveniences? Mind you Ethipian Airlines is direct from base (Enugu) while Qatar Air we have to travel to Lagos from Enugu, and also connect another flight from JFK to Newark NJ. The difference is about N600,000.

*Finally will $8000 PTA raise red flag at POE for a 3 weeks stay? taking into consideration the size of my family, my in-law will accommodate us during our stay

Thanks all, will sure share my POE Experience

I see no issue with you changing your travel plan especially if the plan is to spend time with your family explain why you decided to change your plans truthfully to the CBP officer.

Planning your trip should be straightforward because JFK(New York) is like an hour drive to New Jersey so no need to fly from JFK to New york and also I will prefer if you fly to New york which I believe is cheaper because no CBP officer will raise any issue on you landing in JFK instead of New jersey.
I'm not too sure if $8000 will be enough for 3 weeks except if you plan to rent an apartment for 3 weeks which will be cheaper than hotel.
Enjoy your holiday.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cumz(m): 12:21pm On May 07, 2017
I got in through Houston yesterday, was just asked 3 questions... Why are you in the US.....
. What does your dad do?

So you wearing a suit to see your dad I just smiled...

Welcome to usa
Stamped 6months

4 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 2:10pm On May 07, 2017
cumz:
I got in through Houston yesterday, was just asked 3 questions...
Why are you in the US.....

. What does your dad do?

So you wearing a suit to see your dad
I just smiled...

Welcome to usa

Stamped 6months
Congrats bro
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Imeobong(m): 2:57pm On May 07, 2017
seyewest:

I see no issue with you changing your travel plan especially if the plan is to spend time with your family explain why you decided to change your plans truthfully to the CBP officer.

Planning your trip should be straightforward because JFK(New York) is like an hour drive to New Jersey so no need to fly from JFK to New york and also I will prefer if you fly to New york which I believe is cheaper because no CBP officer will raise any issue on you landing in JFK instead of New jersey.
I'm not too sure if $8000 will be enough for 3 weeks except if you plan to rent an apartment for 3 weeks which will be cheaper than hotel.
Enjoy your holiday.

Thanks @ Seyewest, we will not be lodging in a hotel or apartment as my in-law will accommodate us, I have confirm our flight with Qatar Air to JFK as its far more cheaper than Ethiopian Airways

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (145) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.