Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,161 members, 7,818,532 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:07 PM

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. - Travel (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. (493534 Views)

Canada Port of entry interview /experience / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 8:07pm On Sep 27, 2017
Luuvvshola:
honestly all the question and answers in this section have an eye opener for intending first time visitor to the US. sir l would need your advice on the following;
1. we have a B1/B2 category visa for a family of four(hubby,wife and 2 kids) to visit florida for vacation and shopping but we intend to visit chicago as well. would if matter if we have our flight ticket out of florida to chicago with us at the POE since we never said we will be visiting chicago during embassy interview.
2. can we take our drivers license, medicines, atm cards, wifes jeweries along.
3. though during our interview we told the consulate we will b spending only 10days but can we change it to maybe 2wks at d POE.

THANKS
The moment you're allowed into U.S there's no point of Entry for international travelers in U.S so your flight from Florida to Chicago is a domestic flight and there's no need showing it.
Yes you're free to take those along but please declare the medicines just in case.
Sure you can change it to 2 weeks so far you have a good reason for doing that which should not be a problem.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 9:06pm On Sep 27, 2017
Bissycrown:
@seyewest and other smart guys here. Pls I need to know if anyone can help me with information on how to go about my itinerary. My intending date of travel is November 28th to be back by December 14th. I contacted wakanow agent who advised that I should go through New York for cheap fair. Meanwhile my destination is Baltimore and I intend to book Amtrak train to Baltimore but I don't know how to go about this. I don't know how to pay for the train from here. I dont want to have any issues with the CBD at the entry.Pls help a brother with valuable information or if anyone can help me out. Thanks alot guys.

Go through New york and get a plane or bus to Baltimore from New York.. Greyhound will accept Nigeria mastercard/visa same for domestic airline.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Terminator123: 7:33am On Sep 28, 2017
Good morning everyone. I have a couple of questions: I recently got b1/b2 visa to vacay with hubby. On our ds160 we filled on october 24th as expected date of arrival but around august(after application has been submitted) we got invited to a family wedding for october 28 in lagos here that we cant miss. So we decided to go earlier so we can attend tge wedding. We intend to get to DC on the 3rd. Hope we wont have issues at d POE if we showed up earlier than we stated.

2. We filled on our ds160 that we are spending 10 days but now we have decided to spend 3weeks. Our return ticket shows this. We are both self employed so we have ppl taking care of biz while we will be away. Any implications at the POE Pls reply. Thanks guys!!!
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Bissycrown(m): 7:53am On Sep 28, 2017
Thanks@Seyewest, another question in respect to the bolded. Does that mean I don't have to book for the bus from here. I can do that after arriving JFK and there won't be problems at the POE? Thanks as you clear this concern.

Go through New york and get a plane or bus to Baltimore from New York.. Greyhound will accept Nigeria mastercard/visa same for domestic airline.[/quote]
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Bigaunty4real: 9:45am On Sep 28, 2017
l am actually going to California for a conference and the flight am going with will stop at Egypt and fly to New York the following day. So l intend to pass a night at a hotel in New York ( have booked for the hotel already) just to look round been my first travelling experience and fly to California on the second day ( have booked for hotel to stay in California also) . My question is this , must l buy the ticket to travel to California before living Nigeria or l can just buy it when am in New York ? l just want to play safe so as not to miss my flight from New York to California. Thanks a lot, waiting for your reply.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by KaptainAfrika: 1:22pm On Sep 28, 2017
Please if this is your first trip to the US, don't try that, its risky, stick to the 10 days, its the safest bet.
Your profile - both self-employed, with a business that can be run by others while you are away (I don't know if you have kids, which would have served as a tie) MAY raise a red-flag.

Terminator123:
Good morning everyone. I have a couple of questions: I recently got b1/b2 visa to vacay with hubby. On our ds160 we filled on october 24th as expected date of arrival but around august(after application has been submitted) we got invited to a family wedding for october 28 in lagos here that we cant miss. So we decided to go earlier so we can attend tge wedding. We intend to get to DC on the 3rd. Hope we wont have issues at d POE if we showed up earlier than we stated.

2. We filled on our ds160 that we are spending 10 days but now we have decided to spend 3weeks. Our return ticket shows this. We are both self employed so we have ppl taking care of biz while we will be away. Any implications at the POE Pls reply. Thanks guys!!!
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by KaptainAfrika: 1:24pm On Sep 28, 2017
Book your flight before you leave, its usually cheaper. But give like a 3 hour time difference, from the time you land to give enough time for CBP and picking up your luggage.E.g you land 1pm, book for a flight of 4pm and above. So you don't miss your flight.

Bigaunty4real:
l am actually going to California for a conference and the flight am going with will stop at Egypt and fly to New York the following day. So l intend to pass a night at a hotel in New York ( have booked for the hotel already) just to look round been my first travelling experience and fly to California on the second day ( have booked for hotel to stay in California also) . My question is this , must l buy the ticket to travel to California before living Nigeria or l can just buy it when am in New York ? l just want to play safe so as not to miss my flight from New York to California. Thanks a lot, waiting for your reply.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 5:45pm On Sep 28, 2017
Bissycrown:
Thanks@Seyewest, another question in respect to the bolded. Does that mean I don't have to book for the bus from here. I can do that after arriving JFK and there won't be problems at the POE? Thanks as you clear this concern.

Go through New york and get a plane or bus to Baltimore from New York.. Greyhound will accept Nigeria mastercard/visa same for domestic airline.

What if they ask for the bus ticket at the Airport?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 5:46pm On Sep 28, 2017
Terminator123:

Since it's a B1/B2 visit visa you can visit earlier but risky just explain why you decided to come earlier and as per 3 weeks all you have to do is explain it to them if they ask but risky as well.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by bigbus: 5:47pm On Sep 28, 2017
KaptainAfrika:
Book your flight before you leave, its usually cheaper. But give like a 3 hour time difference, from the time you land to give enough time for CBP and picking up your luggage.E.g you land 1pm, book for a flight of 4pm and above. So you don't miss your flight.

@OP. @KaptainAfrika.
3 hours may be too short in case of flight delay and/or POE delay. Consider at least 5 hours interval between arrival time and next departure, if same airport terminal. And a few extra hours, if you need to change airport or terminal.
Also, in the case of connecting flight; make sure you don't miss your connection in Egypt.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by bigbus: 5:49pm On Sep 28, 2017
Terminator123:

In addition to what Seyewest said, make sure your return ticket is at hand; and if you have the IV for the family wedding, you can carry it along.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 5:49pm On Sep 28, 2017
Bigaunty4real:

This is where diligent planning matters... it's advisable and cheaper to buy your ticket in Nigeria to avoid long story... Since your plan is to spend a day in New York get a flight leaving New York around 11am just make sure you leave your hotel 2 hours or more before the departure time.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by bigbus: 5:53pm On Sep 28, 2017
Bigaunty4real:

Was California the destination you stated at the visa interview?
It is a good plan to pass the night on arrival in New York and fly to California the next day. This is safe, as per not missing your NY to Ca flight.
And I agree with buying your ticket early, especially if California is your primary destination: it will be good to have it handy at NY POE.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 5:54pm On Sep 28, 2017
bigbus:

@OP. @KaptainAfrika.
3 hours may be too short in case of flight delay and/or POE delay. Consider at least 5 hours interval between arrival time and next departure, if same airport terminal. And a few extra hours, if you need to change airport or terminal.
Also, in the case of connecting flight; make sure you don't miss your connection in Egypt.

I think her plan is to spend a night in New York.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Bigaunty4real: 7:05am On Sep 29, 2017
Yes l stated California in my visa interview form. l was told by a friend that l can buy the ticket to California at the airport when am ready to live for California in New York, so l just want to know if the POE official will not ask me for the ticket on arriving New York.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by TUBLEZ(m): 7:56am On Sep 29, 2017
Plz what's the current visa fee for B1b2
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by kessel: 8:14am On Sep 29, 2017
I will be heading to this same California by God's grace in January,it appears there is no direct flight to California,how how do i do the connecting flight and whats the best airline to use,thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Ddarkguy: 8:45am On Sep 29, 2017
Since it's a B1/B2 visit visa you can visit earlier but risky just explain why you decided to come earlier and as per 3 weeks all you have to do is explain it to them if they ask but risky as well.[/quote]

I travelled to the US on B1/B2 for the first time and I had a similar situation as you. Stated to travel 15th and for 2weeks at interview, left 5th and for 3weeks. Poe was NY. Wasn't even asked how long I wld be staying or reason for going earlier. Just stamped me in for 6months. It was a breeze.
While filling ur ds160, ur time of travel is probable not certain. Changes can happen so it's not a big deal. If they ask you, look him/her in the eyes and tell your reasons. Except you are planning to elope, (which might make u panic) nobody can turn you back for such flimsy reasons. Just make sure your PURPOSE and PLACE of visit do not change.
Best of luck

3 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 9:23pm On Sep 29, 2017
Bigaunty4real:
Yes l stated California in my visa interview form. l was told by a friend that l can buy the ticket to California at the airport when am ready to live for California in New York, so l just want to know if the POE official will not ask me for the ticket on arriving New York.
They may ask for the ticket to California.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 9:25pm On Sep 29, 2017
N296500 Lagos to New York on Etihad Airways. Don't dull and don't sleep on it. try wakanow,travelstart,ajala.ng you can pay in Naira as well.

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 9:28pm On Sep 29, 2017
Ddarkguy:
Since it's a B1/B2 visit visa you can visit earlier but risky just explain why you decided to come earlier and as per 3 weeks all you have to do is explain it to them if they ask but risky as well.

I travelled to the US on B1/B2 for the first time and I had a similar situation as you. Stated to travel 15th and for 2weeks at interview, left 5th and for 3weeks. Poe was NY. Wasn't even asked how long I wld be staying or reason for going earlier. Just stamped me in for 6months. It was a breeze.
While filling ur ds160, ur time of travel is probable not certain. Changes can happen so it's not a big deal. If they ask you, look him/her in the eyes and tell your reasons. Except you are planning to elope, (which might make u panic) nobody can turn you back for such flimsy reasons. Just make sure your PURPOSE and PLACE of visit do not change.
Best of luck

It's not flimsy when luck and favor is against you or you're faced with a crazy cbp officer. Our aim here is to prepared for the worst even though most time it's not always like that in most cases.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by naijarazzi: 9:39pm On Sep 29, 2017
seyewest:
N296500 Lagos to New York on Etihad Airways. Don't dull and don't sleep on it.
bro I'm interested
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Propertyeighty: 9:40pm On Sep 29, 2017
Hello Everyone!
Thanks for all your conttibutions on this thread.
I got my visa lately to attend a conference in Las-Vegas in November this year.
My question is im likely not going to be chanced to attend the conference again,can i register for another one early next year in another state and be allowed in at the POE?
Thanks!
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 9:43pm On Sep 29, 2017
post=60957482:
bro I'm interested
look for it online... try wakanow,travelstart,ajala.ng
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:09pm On Sep 29, 2017
Propertyeighty:
Hello Everyone!
My question is im likely not going to be chanced to attend the conference again,can i register for another one early next year in another state and be allowed in at the POE?
Thanks!

I think this should answer your question it's from the V.O on the USA Visit visa part 2

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by LagosNIV: 2:21pm
Hello Bmakens -

We don't issue specific conference visas. Conferences are one of the allowable activities to do on a B1/B2 business/tourist visa. Most likely, if you applied to attend a conference and your visa was approved, you were issued a B1/B2 visa. If you have that visa, you can do any activity which is allowable in B1/B2 status. You will most likely also need to apply for a B1/B2 visa for your child. If you were issued some other class of visa, you may need to apply for a different visa for your child as well.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Dynamitehimself(m): 1:11am On Sep 30, 2017
Hi guys, I booked a hotel for my trip but have decided to stay with a friend. I intend to stick to my submission at the time of interview. But i want to ask if I can cancel the hotel booking and still maintain the intial information I gave the VO. If i don't my bank card will be charged even if I don't stay there. Will the cbn confirm from the hotel at the point of entry. Has any one being in this same situation.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Propertyeighty: 3:42am On Sep 30, 2017
seyewest:

I think this should answer your question it's from the V.O on the USA Visit visa part 2

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 2 by LagosNIV: 2:21pm
Hello Bmakens -

We don't issue specific conference visas. Conferences are one of the allowable activities to do on a B1/B2 business/tourist visa. Most likely, if you applied to attend a conference and your visa was approved, you were issued a B1/B2 visa. If you have that visa, you can do any activity which is allowable in B1/B2 status. You will most likely also need to apply for a B1/B2 visa for your child. If you were issued some other class of visa, you may need to apply for a different visa for your child as well.

Thanks so much Boss!
But please im still not clear with your answer.
Do u mean if i dont go this November for the conference that the visa was purposely granted for,i can register for another one in another state and i wont be reffered to my earlier purpose at my POE?

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by KaptainAfrika: 7:49am On Sep 30, 2017
If this is your first trip to the US, I would recommend going for that conference next year, if you missed this years own. Its the safest bet against deportation because appearing there and saying you missed the conference and now you are coming for vacation is risky. That privilege is only extended to those who have travelled before, for the purpose of getting the visa.

Propertyeighty:
Hello Everyone!
Thanks!
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 6:33pm On Sep 30, 2017
Dynamitehimself:
Hi guys, I booked a hotel for my trip but have decided to stay with a friend. I intend to stick to my submission at the time of interview. But i want to ask if I can cancel the hotel booking and still maintain the intial information I gave the VO. If i don't my bank card will be charged even if I don't stay there. Will the cbn confirm from the hotel at the point of entry. Has any one being in this same situation.
Did you tell the V.O about your friend? How did your friend enter U.S?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by DRIZ: 8:01pm On Sep 30, 2017
Hello.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by yinksob002: 12:26am On Oct 01, 2017
Welldone guys for the good job you are doing. I arrived JFK airport, New York this afternoon and POE was very seamless. The CBP officer only asked me if it was my first time in the US, how long i intend to stay and what i will be doing during my stay. No single doc was requested.

Thereafter, i did the biometrics and he proceeded to stamp me in for 6 mths. Any nairalander currently on vacation in new york can PM me so we could hang out and visit places of attraction together.

Thanks to Seye West and others who have kept this thread alive till date.. God bless you all.

9 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by kessel: 1:22am On Oct 01, 2017
yinksob002:
Welldone guys for the good job you are doing. I arrived JFK airport, New York this afternoon and POE was very seamless. The CBP officer only asked me if it was my first time in the US, how long i intend to stay and what i will be doing during my stay. No single doc was requested.

Thereafter, i did the biometrics and he proceeded to stamp me in for 6 mths. Any nairalander currently on vacation in new york can PM me so we could hang out and visit places of attraction together.

Thanks to Seye West and others who have kept this thread alive till date.. God bless you all.

Nlder in NY
I just hope you knw how big NY is cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (145) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.