Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

Can I Study Geology Without Chemistry? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can I Study Geology Without Chemistry? (1832 Views)

Some Courses You Can Study In University Without Chemistry / See List Of Science Courses To Study Without Chemistry / Help Me Out, Which Subject Can I Study With My Waec Without Chemistry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Study Geology Without Chemistry? by massalati(m): 10:09am On Mar 07, 2017
color] Please am New here, sorry for the wrong English.
I want to read Geology in the university of calabar, and i have f9 in my chemistry, so what is the possibility of gaining admission and please what kind of subject am supose to register in the forth coming jamb? #EppaNigga
[/code][/font][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/color] Please am New here, sorry for the wrong English.
I want to read Geology in the university of calabar, and i have f9 in my chemistry, so what is the possibility of gaining admission and please what kind of subject am supose to register in the forth coming jamb? #EppaNigga
[code]
[/font][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][color=#000099]
Please am New here, sorry for the wrong English.
Re: Can I Study Geology Without Chemistry? by wandevincent(m): 10:25am On Mar 07, 2017
No you can't, I will advise u to check the brochure anyway

1 Like

Re: Can I Study Geology Without Chemistry? by forghon: 10:32am On Mar 07, 2017
u simply cant geology has to do with lots of chemistry physics nd biology in fact there is a course in geology called geochemistry a level 2 course if I can recall wish u all d best
Re: Can I Study Geology Without Chemistry? by Aegerine: 10:57am On Mar 07, 2017
Those two posters, especially the 2nd one have done justice to your question. I am a geologist. You cannot study geology without chemistry.
Apart from geochemistry as a branch of geology, the knowledge of chemistry is very vital in mineralogy (the study of minerals), geochemistry, petroleum geology (in the aspect of hydrocarbon composition), economic geology and some aspects of petrology which is the backbone of geology.
All of the above are core areas in geology that require a good knowledge of chemistry.

If you truly aspire to be a geologist, try to re-enroll and concentrate your energy on passing your chemistry. However, you must brace up yourself and master your biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics very well. Geology requires all.

A good knowledge of elementary geography will also assist you, but it is not necessarily a prerequisite for admission in most cases. Though, you can consult your jamb brochure for UNICAL requirements, as I did not graduate from there.

Geology is interesting. We look forward to welcome into the field in the near future.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Study Geology Without Chemistry? by Nobody: 11:04am On Mar 07, 2017
no you cannot,has d poster above me have rightly said,chemistry is essential for geologist as other science subjects like biology,physics.By the way my subject combinations were English,chemistry,biology and chemistry.It depends on the department requirements tho
Re: Can I Study Geology Without Chemistry? by massalati(m): 5:23pm On Mar 07, 2017
wandevincent:
No you can't, I will advise u to check the brochure anyway
Aegerine:
Those two posters, especially the 2nd one have done justice to your question. I am a geologist. You cannot study geology without chemistry.
Apart from geochemistry as a branch of geology, the knowledge of chemistry is very vital in mineralogy (the study of minerals), geochemistry, petroleum geology (in the aspect of hydrocarbon composition), economic geology and some aspects of petrology which is the backbone of geology.
All of the above are core areas in geology that require a good knowledge of chemistry.

If you truly aspire to be a geologist, try to re-enroll and concentrate your energy on passing your chemistry. However, you must brace up yourself and master your biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics very well. Geology requires all.

A good knowledge of elementary geography will also assist you, but it is not necessarily a prerequisite for admission in most cases. Though, you can consult your jamb brochure for UNICAL requirements, as I did not graduate from there.

Geology is interesting. We look forward to welcome into the field in the near future.
Aegerine:

Aegerine:

thanks so much for ya contributiöns so much apreciate..i love geology so well that i started thinking of that course riqht from time,it means am going to write another wassce again or wil i be given admision if i combine it with neco?
Re: Can I Study Geology Without Chemistry? by Aegerine: 6:44pm On Mar 07, 2017
[quote author=massalati post=54361968] thanks so much for ya contributiöns so much apreciate..i love geology so well that i started thinking of that course riqht from time,it means am going to write another wassce again or wil i be given admision if i combine it with neco?[/quote

Firstly, I will like to reiterate it that you are not making a wrong choice in geology as a field of study. In as much as your passion lies there, pls be encouraged to go for it. You will find it an exciting, challenging and adventurous field. Besides, the opportunities are limitless both outside and within the country, though with a good grade in it.

Having said that, your chemistry is also important as mentioned earlier, but you can check or try to find out if your proposed institution accept a combination of WASSCE and NECO results. If not, gather your wit and re-enrol so as to make all the necessary papers....... Cheers
Re: Can I Study Geology Without Chemistry? by massalati(m): 12:57am On Mar 13, 2017
Wow you are a darling really appreciate
Re: Can I Study Geology Without Chemistry? by massalati(m): 12:58am On Mar 13, 2017
[quote author=Aegerine post=54364229][/quote] thankz

(1) (Reply)

M / Uniosun Ukraine Trained Medical Students In Trouble / UK Oil And Gas Training Academy Fully Funded Scholarship, 2018 – Apply Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.