Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,416 members, 7,822,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:50 PM

'law Blogging, An Untapped Goldmine ' - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 'law Blogging, An Untapped Goldmine ' (6592 Views)

3 Other Ways To Earn Passive Income Apart From Blogging (an Enterpreneurs Idea) / 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Blogging / 20 Untapped Way To Make Money With Your Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'law Blogging, An Untapped Goldmine ' by TheAdvocate(m): 4:01pm On Mar 08, 2017
fidorocks:
How can this be remedied?

The young of every profession is the future of that profession and no profession can survive by devouring or not nurturing its young. The major changes in all areas of life are technologically driven and youth propelled. So, the legal profession must not only nurture its young but should be open to the innovations young lawyers are bringing into the profession.

Legal practice is still very conservative and esoteric for the 21st century. The traditional areas of practice are shrinking daily. I think we should be allowed to find new fishing ponds or create new ones. We can also expand the shrinking ponds through ICT (information and communications technology)-driven marketing. We can also use ICT to properly manage service delivery in the profession thereby reducing cost and increasing profit. Everything boils down to the seniors allowing change and giving younger lawyers a chance. We are the ICT generation and we can do a lot if given the chance.

Also, the NBA should do more to protect junior lawyers from abuse and exploitation.

What was your most embarrassing day in court?

I once appeared before Justice S. O. Nwaka of the Lagos State High Court early last year in a very contentious land matter and I made a mistake in addressing the Court. My lady was visibly angry and said I was rude. I was leading some juniors in the case that day and I was so ashamed and so apologised profusely to the court.

However, the defence counsel who was an over 60 years’ old lawyer told my Lady that I had no home training. I felt very hurt by that statement, but I apologised to the court again and informed my Lady that the defence counsel had no right to cast aspersion on my family background and demanded he retracted his statement and apologise to me.

Justice Nwaka made a truce by asking the older lawyer to apologise and withdraw his statement which he did and proceedings continued.

You run a blog. What is it about?

I run www.legalfido.com, a career development blog for lawyers and law students. It enjoys readership from lawyers all over the world, although a majority of my readers are from English speaking African countries. It is a platform for young lawyers all over the world to learn and share ideas on recent professional trends and developments. I am also set to start a business blog where I shall blog on entrepreneurship and legal tools for starting, managing and running a business.

Which is more lucrative, law blogging or law practice?

Blogging for me is about passion and not about the money. Yeah, blogging is very lucrative and an untapped goldmine. However, my blog is barely two years old and so I have not started raking in a lot of money but I make enough to sustain my blog and myself.

You recently opened your chambers, what have been your challenges?

The most difficult challenge for most lawyers starting up their chambers is lack of capital. Accessing credit for start-ups in Nigeria is very difficult but then it’s worse for lawyers. It is very disheartening that lawyers are not included in most state and Federal Government’s Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) start-ups or intervention fund programmes.

Many lawyers on their admission to the Bar go into private practice and most of them establish their chambers after about five years of pupillage. They employ legal and non-legal staff as well as pay taxes. So, I wonder why the government excludes lawyers from SME funding. Banks should also provide credit facilities suited for law firm start-ups with flexible repayment plans. The NBA too should partner the government and financial institutions to correct this anomaly.

You’re single. Would you marry a lawyer?

I am single but my marital status will be altered in a very short time. My woman is not a lawyer. Her discipline is in the natural sciences and for me it strikes a good balance. Though it is impossible to marry or date a lawyer without becoming a lawyer, so my woman is a lawyer in her own right.

http://thenationonlineng.net/law-blogging-untapped-gold-mine/

A female judge is referred to as 'My Lord" because there is no female in the legal profession. That's why you refer to a female judge while you are before a male judge or another female judge, you call that female judge "your learned brother".
Re: 'law Blogging, An Untapped Goldmine ' by fidorocks(m): 4:33pm On Mar 08, 2017
Nancy42:
nice one maduka. n congratulation on d successful opening of your own chambers, make i begin d find trouble den

Thanks but find better trouble oh and have a deep pocket.
Re: 'law Blogging, An Untapped Goldmine ' by fidorocks(m): 4:35pm On Mar 08, 2017
Daniyemi:
We sure do have a lot of things in common. Hoping to start a law blog myself when I open my Computer institute next year God willing. I have my law chambers already.
I wish you the best sir.
Re: 'law Blogging, An Untapped Goldmine ' by toprealman: 3:57pm On Mar 10, 2017
So because of the so-called "risks" involved.....sharing an opinion that may be wrong, people should run away from it?
Well that tells you the quality of graduates we have in naija. They cram to pass exam and nothing more. Less than 5% think of how to add good value to the system. Go read about the UK MP with Nigerian blood...Chuka Umunna. The guy started from something very similar to law blogging and from there took his game to the next level. The guy is just 39 this year.
Hard work...legit hustle pays big style!

1 Like

Re: 'law Blogging, An Untapped Goldmine ' by lilvinco: 1:19am On Mar 29, 2017
Anyone who wants to go into law blogging and looking for a platform, send me a WhatsApp message 09051902298

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Scammer Princeogun -- Webmasters Judge Us / 12 Most Important SEO Features You Should Know / My Blog May Have Been Banned By Google. Please Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.