Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Album Review-tradition-9ice - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Album Review-tradition-9ice (8469 Views)

M.I 3 Chairman Album Review / Album Review: Psquare Double Trouble. / Timaya New Album Review "dem Mama Soujas" What Do You Guys Think? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Album Review-tradition-9ice by julian21(f): 7:10pm On Dec 15, 2009
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by tosinaded(m): 7:19pm On Dec 15, 2009
between growing and marketing themselves to a wider audience.with "tradition",9ice opts for growth over fan base expansion.this album showcases 9ice flowing over beats from seasoned beat makers like Terry G,Dr Frabs,ID cabasa and newcomers like Cheepho & SARS.Collaborations are kept to a minimum as Asa is the only notable artiste featured on this 16 track project although Nneka,Snow,Wise & Seriki lend 9ice a helping hand to make tradition a worthwhile ear-xperience.

9ice gets things started by sending out a positive message on "show your love" featuring Nneka,which has a jamaican tinge/flavour and sets the tone perfectly for the album.the alapomeji train cruises along smoothly with tracks like "respect is reciprocal" and the sex centered tune "bluetooth".the cheepho produced "liquor" is an uptempo track that will definitely get you in the groove,but it is on the ID cabasa produced "gbamu gbamu" where the album hits top gear.with the way 9ice kept the proverbs coming on this track,one will be inclined to think that dropping knowledge is running out of fashion.

The album veers off course slightly with tracks like the Dr frabs produced "bo kini yen" which is quite unnecessary with all the unwarranted sexual undertones and the Terry G produced "charging charger" which is not only low in quality but also meaningless cos all of a sudden 9ice stops been a party rider and decides to become a charging charger(lame).it looks like collaborations bring out the best in 9ice as it is quite evident on the Asa assisted "pete-pete" and the snow & wise assisted "once beaten,twice shy" which restores balance to the album.

One thing that is noticeable on this LP is the lack of creativity and fluidity as most of the songs are neither here nor there.with tradition 9ice fails to take his game to the next level and loses his chance to obliterate the competition.he runs through the final parts of this album as if his fans gave him an ultimatum when he actually has all the time in the world.i can't even say which one is more worrying,the fact that there is no song on this album that has hit written all over it or the fact that ony 3 songs on this album have yoruba titles?it clearly looks like 9ice is gradually losing his identity & street credibility in his quest for a grammy.

They say "as you pose for picture,na so you go show" but me i say "as you flow for studio,na so you go blow".no love song for toni payne,no song for his mother and more ominous is the absence of long time friends & collaborators,Lord of ajasa,2 phat & Jahbless(probably all is not well in the land of coded tunes).this album paints a sad picture of 9ice relying on the false cushion of reputation.this year is definitely not 2009ice.

RATINGS-6/10

PLAY-liquor,gbamu gbamu,show some love,anytime,pete-pete
SKIP-Bbo kini yen,my people,energy,no be mistake,charging charger
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by tayoast(m): 8:01pm On Dec 15, 2009
tosinaded@:

RATINGS-6/10

PLAY-liquor,gbamu gbamu,show some love,anytime,pete-pete
SKIP-Bbo kini yen,my people,energy,no be mistake,charging charger

Ratings 5/10

ts either Adigun doesn't av adviser(s) or he chose to ignore them.

Another name 4 d album tradition, IMPETUOUS 9ice!!!

I'd never skip Bo Kini Yen ,
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by tosinaded(m): 8:12pm On Dec 15, 2009
i will never skip bo ki yen undecided
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by punchlinee: 8:28pm On Dec 15, 2009
haha i have been waiting for u julian , i thot they arrested u .lol welcome , where u been?
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by slimshay(m): 1:12pm On Dec 16, 2009
Slanted review in my opinion. Especially putting 'No be Mistake' on tracks to be skipped?!! You lost some cred right there.

Spot on on Charging Charger though. What was that about Adigun?!!
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by tundewoods(m): 1:52pm On Dec 16, 2009
@ Tradition review

Lets face it concerning the recently released tradition album. I know expectations may have been extremely high for 9ice to surpass his sophomore album Gongo Aso. But to be honest i knew deep inside that was going to be an impossible task to deliver.

As it may seem,its still relatively too early to judge the album in terms of acceptability. I've tried hard to make a point regards differentiating between beat makers and producers here in Nigeria. And one thing is obvious what we have mainly in this part of the world are what i called beat makers, Terry G, ID Cabasa, Dr Fabbs and the likes.

You may ask what this has to do with the review right ? Well the fact is 9ice kind of music is quite similar to that of Asa in genre and to be frank his album did lack to touch of real producers in terms of mixing and final production. To be candid i expected the 9nice and Asa collaboration to have been a live intrument recording but as usual another beat maker churns out beats from fruity loops and cu base for them lay their vocal tracks on.

I bitterly admit that the tradition album may still be far from his prophetic grammy award winning album but on an average may gradually gain momentum and in return street credibility.
wink
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by frijos(m): 3:34pm On Dec 16, 2009
well spoken tundewoods.
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by Dotman01(m): 9:55am On Dec 17, 2009
Am enjoyin this tradition man, and aint skippin any thin. I love everythig
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by tosinaded(m): 10:10am On Dec 17, 2009
Dotman01:

Am enjoyin this tradition man, and aint skippin any thin. I love everythig

me dey skip liquor grin
album is great cool
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by yemmight(m): 12:02pm On Dec 17, 2009
Charging Charger, Gbamu Gbamu. Great tracks.
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by punchlinee: 12:28pm On Dec 17, 2009
yemmight:

Charging Charger, Gbamu Gbamu. Great tracks.

those in my books are the worst , bokiyen is still ok than this 2 .
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by rockyfela(m): 1:41pm On Dec 17, 2009
all i know is i like pete pete ft asa.
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by Dotman01(m): 1:55pm On Dec 17, 2009
@punclinee i think those tracks are great especially gbamugbamu.
@tosin, u no like liquor? Na real shayo joint, i luve it man,
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by akinsadeez(m): 2:04pm On Dec 17, 2009
What da hell is no be mistake doing as a song to skip.this is utter rubbish.
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by akinsadeez(m): 2:09pm On Dec 17, 2009
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by Dotman01(m): 2:15pm On Dec 17, 2009
I tink d guy dat did d review doesnt really know much about music or somethin. Imagine skippin 'Energy'. dat guy is crazy lol
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by tayoast(m): 2:31pm On Dec 17, 2009
Dotman01:

I tink d guy dat did d review doesnt really know much about music or somethin. Imagine skippin 'Energy'. dat guy is crazy lol
akinsadeez:

Probably d guy listened 2 d album 1ce nd he made up his mind.
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by punchlinee: 2:39pm On Dec 17, 2009
lol, a hit song doesnt need to grow on u, na hair ?, u will know its a hit immediately u hear it, na wack song them dey suggest say he go grow, grow go where? did street credibility grow on u?did photocopy grow on u ?
bunch of boomboomclacksam skippin almost of alll it.
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by tayoast(m): 2:45pm On Dec 17, 2009
punchlinee:

lol, a hit song doesnt need to grow on u, na hair ?, u will know its a hit immediately u hear it, na wack song them dey suggest say he go grow, grow go where? did street credibility grow on u?did photocopy grow on u ?
bunch of boomboomclacksam skippin almost of alll it.

Nobody mentioned any hit track(s) on the album.

9ice tracks? Yeah!

Also, Play: Bluetooth & Alapomeji Anthem
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by julian21(f): 2:48pm On Dec 17, 2009
i JUST LISTENED TO THE ALBUM AND I MUST CONFESS THAT IAM TOTALLY DISSAPOINTED,THERE IS NO SINGLE SONG ON THAT ALBUM THAT IAM CRAZY ABOUT.THE REVIEWER WAS WAY TOO NICE.IF IT WAS ME I WILL RATE THE ALBUM 4/10.
JUST A PIECE OF CRAP.
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by punchlinee: 3:02pm On Dec 17, 2009
julian whats ur name on facebook?
send it privately to punchlinee@gmail.com
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by punchlinee: 3:03pm On Dec 17, 2009
tayo_ast:

Nobody mentioned any hit track(s) on the album.

9ice tracks? Yeah!

Also, Play: Bluetooth & Alapomeji Anthem

i just went back to play it now,
they still sound like crap. compared to photocopy , kasa final, no knowledge droppin dey there.
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by tosinaded(m): 3:13pm On Dec 17, 2009
y'all should jst watch the album go platinum and win awards tongue
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by punchlinee: 3:15pm On Dec 17, 2009
@tosin
are u serious ?as in platinum?

''bluetooth'' is above average , it could have been tighter if the beat had more elements , it is the only one that is above average .
see i want u to
listen to the vocal of liquor posted by notjustok here,  http://www.notjustok.com/2009/09/21/9ice-liquor-snippet/
u would think the song would be a monster hit , maybe its the beat that was wrong sha , cuzz the vocal on notjust ok was superb,, listen to the vocal of liquor
if you are still doubting, alapomeji is  better than this album now, cant u people see
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by punchlinee: 3:21pm On Dec 17, 2009
yeah mogbe, bluetooth'' is growing on me small small o, i cant press stop o,
tosinadeda mogbeooo he be like say the song dey grow thru thru o.

na only bluetooth sha o for now , chei the beat is sick , am just hearing it on my big speaker now.
na cabasa make bluetooth beat ? who made the beats tosin?
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by mbulela: 3:22pm On Dec 17, 2009
whoever this reviewer is, i doff my heart to him/her.
I have been reading his blog for a while and i am impressed with him.
He/her is always on point.
the fact that we can not agree on the songs to skip is simply a subjective fact.he only gave his opinion as the reviewer.
tundewoods, i agree with you completely on the need for a live recording for the Asa collabo.
beatmakers are actually ruining the industry.some may argue but their success is short sighted.
real music talent are dying.autotune and beat makers have taken over.it is not just in hip hop but the entire industry.
ever wondered why everyone is singing now?even rappers like Lord of Ajasa and Ikechukwu?
on the issue of 9ice, i think this album confirms my greatest fear for him.
He lacks advisers. big time.
the talent is unmistakable but there seems to be a lack of direction that can only be provided by proper management.
from his poor stage performances that was often neglected due to the sheer quality of his previous album to this Tradition album, the lack of management is very obvious.
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by punchlinee: 3:27pm On Dec 17, 2009
no nairalander can tasi julian and his reviewing skills, julian and 9jahiphop get street credibility,
he be like say na dr frabs produce boki ni yen , ol boy , the beat is maddddddddd! as in mad!
my favourite song is bluetooth, it seems bokiniyen and blue tooth are the same , omo dr frabs na beat demon.
haha see beat !
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by mbulela: 3:33pm On Dec 17, 2009
na julian be 9jahiphop blogger?
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by punchlinee: 3:37pm On Dec 17, 2009
mbulela:

na julian be 9jahiphop blogger?

i know know o, but na him dey first past am here, maybe he wan make una know say na 9jahiphop na julian .lol

am just hearing the terry g beat well, on a good speaker na typical terry g style , he be like say na the vocals na him adigun no write well well,.it is fair , terry g dey craze o because him sick pass this beat o
why he no give 9ice testing microphone scabarobo shibaraba tiletile style beat ?
but still no song in the entire album stands bokini yen on the whole album. dr frabs double tuale!! grin grin

9ice needs to work with dr frabs and terry g more, and young producers who get correct skills.
dr frabs beats clearly shows that he has direction and skills beyond an ordinary beatmaker brain as posted by tundewood, dr frab recognise hit when he see artist. no be only to make beat na to give the artist wetinnhim go talk , wey people go gbadun. once again double tuale to dr frabs for bokiniyen .
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by tayoast(m): 9:04pm On Dec 17, 2009
punchlinee:

yeah mogbe, bluetooth'' is growing on me small small  o, i cant press stop o,
tosinadeda   mogbeooo he be like say the song dey grow thru thru o.

na only bluetooth sha o for now , chei the beat is sick , am just hearing it on my big speaker now.
na cabasa make bluetooth beat ? who made the beats tosin?

I'm a fan of 9ice's on Facebook.

He posted this 2day: ''9ice: YESTERDAY 750,000COPIES. WALAHI AYAMI N'JA. GOD BLESS MY FANS.''
3 hours ago · Comment · Like
112 people like this.
View all 214 comments

follow link: http://www.facebook.com/alapomeji9ice?ref=nf
Re: Album Review-tradition-9ice by mbulela: 4:23am On Dec 18, 2009
^^^^^^^^^
only idiots beleve sales figures in Nigeria.
Artistes just pull it out of their backsides to massage their egos.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Download MP3: Zinoleesky - "Mapariwo". / Music: Maleek Berry – Feel Me Ft Wizkid / VIDEO: Mr Eazi – Miss You Bad Ft. Burna Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.