Stats: 3,155,816 members, 7,827,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

“I Want A Divorce Because I Want To Go To School” – 17 Year Old Girl Cries Out - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / “I Want A Divorce Because I Want To Go To School” – 17 Year Old Girl Cries Out (457 Views)

WAEC Timetable Is Anti-muslim - MURIC Cries Out / 17-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Police College Swimming Pool In Lagos / "I Didn't Get Admitted To OOU Because I Am Too Beautiful" - Young Lady (2) (3) (4)

“I Want A Divorce Because I Want To Go To School” – 17 Year Old Girl Cries Out by Choiszman(m): 9:53am On Mar 08, 2017
A 17-year-old girl, Fatima B., has appealed to the Niger Child Right Protection Agency to dissolve her one-month-old marriage.

Fatima, who is married to 35-year-old Salihu M., told the agency on Tuesday in Minna, that she was no more in love with her husband, a resident of Shaba Legbo village in Gbako Local Government Area of the state.

She pleaded with the agency to dissolve her marriage to enable her further her education.

I was given in marriage to Salihu by my family, who thought I will have a better life with him. I do not want this marriage; I do not love this man. I want a divorce because I want to go to school and it is only when I am divorced that I can return to school,” she said.

In his response, Salihu said that he married his wife legally, and with the consent of her family.

He said that his wife’s uncle, S. Mustapha gave her to him in marriage after she consented.

At first, my wife was happy with the marriage until she suddenly changed her mind and opted for a divorce. I still love my wife and I want to spend my life with her, but if she wants a divorce, I have no objection. I cannot force her to remain in the union,” he said.

Halilu Shaba, the District Head of Shaba Legbo, in his reaction, told the agency that parents in the community were fond of forcing their children into early marriage.

Some also send their children to become house-maids, thereby denying them the opportunity to go to school,” he said.

He commended the agency for its intervention, adding that such step would serve as deterrent to parents.

The Director-General of the agency, Maryam Kolo, commended Fatima for the courage to seek for divorce, and gave both families a two-week ultimatum within which to dissolve the marriage.

“If you fail to do so within the two weeks, the agency will file for divorce on behalf of the girl in a Sharia Court,” she said.

Kolo warned parents and community leaders against forcing children into early marriage thereby denying them the opportunity to acquire western education.

She said that early marriage had many disadvantages including the risk of Vesico Vaginal Fistula (VVF) diseases.

Kolo advised other girls to emulate Fatima’s bravery and report similar matters to the agency.

CC: Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Ishilove, Marpol, Semid4lyfe, Obinoscopy

Re: “I Want A Divorce Because I Want To Go To School” – 17 Year Old Girl Cries Out by Guru9ja(m): 9:56am On Mar 08, 2017
Important update:
Jamb regularization procedure guideline

http://www.guru9ja.com.ng/2017/03/jamb-regularization-proceduresguidelines-help-201718/

UTME 2017 Registration- Its Not Compulsory You choose A Private University

http://www.guru9ja.com.ng/2017/03/utme-2017-registration-its-not-compulsory-you-choose-private-university/

check out junior waec 2017 timetable or download here: http://www.guru9ja.com.ng/2017/03/junior-waec-201718-timetable-bece/

Waec 2017 May/June Time table. Download here to your phone:
http://www.guru9ja.com.ng/2017/02/waec-mayjune-20172018-time-table/

Nigerian Airforce Secondary Schools 2017/2018 Application Form Is On Sale
http://www.guru9ja.com.ng/2017/03/nigerian-airforce-secondary-schools-20172018-application-form-sale/

NCEE 2017/2018 Entrance Exam Cut-Off Marks For All 36 States Of Nigeria
http://www.guru9ja.com.ng/2017/03/ncee-20172018-entrance-exam-cut-off-marks-for-all-states-nigeria/
Re: “I Want A Divorce Because I Want To Go To School” – 17 Year Old Girl Cries Out by Kondomatic(m): 9:56am On Mar 08, 2017
Na im dey still dey delay? Abeg free the girl already?

Where are the e-femenists when you need them?

It's time to go offline and support your sister

Re: “I Want A Divorce Because I Want To Go To School” – 17 Year Old Girl Cries Out by Gurumaharaji(m): 9:58am On Mar 08, 2017
North believe more in bleeping dan schooling....Highest rate of VVF ,illiteracy and mortality rate.!
Re: “I Want A Divorce Because I Want To Go To School” – 17 Year Old Girl Cries Out by Choiszman(m): 10:01am On Mar 08, 2017
Don't mind em undecided
Kondomatic:
Na im dey still dey delay? Abeg free the girl already
Re: “I Want A Divorce Because I Want To Go To School” – 17 Year Old Girl Cries Out by peteregwu(m): 10:44am On Mar 08, 2017
Islam is a cankerworm. That is the fruits of Islam. Small small pikin dey sweet them. When we have much adults women that are not yet marred.
Re: “I Want A Divorce Because I Want To Go To School” – 17 Year Old Girl Cries Out by Choiszman(m): 10:59am On Mar 08, 2017
My brother it's really just sad
peteregwu:
Islam is a cankerworm. That is the fruits of Islam. Small small pikin dey sweet them. When we have much adults women that are not yet marred.

UCAS Application / Help Which Course Can I Study With This Result / 25 Extraordinary Math Principles To Challenge Your Brain