Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,030 members, 7,866,898 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 07:46 AM

Lunatic’s Pad: International Women’s Day; Can We Scrap “bride Price” Now? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lunatic’s Pad: International Women’s Day; Can We Scrap “bride Price” Now? (369 Views)

Patience Jonathan At Rivers Golden Jubilee Women's Day (Photos) / Fayose Turns Tailor. Pictured Sewing Clothes Ahead Of The World Women's Day / Do We Scrap Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lunatic’s Pad: International Women’s Day; Can We Scrap “bride Price” Now? by Chizgold: 4:17pm On Mar 08, 2017
It is International Women’s Day, and I am in support of the #WifeNotCook agitation, and I have very valid reasons. I believe that wives shouldn’t cook at all, and we can push it further by cancelling the idea of kitchens in houses. These are not the only things I want thrown away from marriage.

I want ‘introduction’; (you know that process where you have to go to the house of the girl, the same girl whose parents are all aware you’re dating their daughter, and explain to them that you are interested in their daughter) removed. Yes. We don’t need it at all. You start off with an Introduction, then the List Collection, ha! That’s another scary process. Some families insist that the list must be on foolscap sheets, and one uncle will scribble all those items, sometimes in short hand. Pray he isn’t the traditional medical doctor notorious for their hieroglyphs and codes with long necks like some prescription to some unknown ailment, you’re done for. You might even be fined for saying that some words are not clear enough.

We don’t need that too.

And then, the almighty bride price. The break or keep bride price. In some societies, you’ll have to build houses, some might even request for plots of land. All these just to call a girl wife. To take her to your home so you can live together.

That’s not all. The traditional marriage is another energy-sapping, consuming, and showy thing that isn’t necessary. Of all the processes, the woman having to kneel or genuflect to give her husband a drink, to me, is dehumanising. It is rather strange that our women do this, even smiling, and later dance their hearts out in celebration. Shouldn’t we put a stop to this?

There’s the white wedding too. People should be tired na, haba! We should be tired. But we aren’t. The girl wants all these. Her family wants it. It is her pride. It shows she is valued.

After all these, this sweet sister will move into your house, and demand that you live the way of our brothers from the West. The Americans, the Europeans, the fellows whose marriages are so simple that the girl just has to take a ride from her house to a tree, or small chapel where the man will be waiting with a priest, and the act is done. Ah, sister, after introduction, list collection, traditional, and....

http://ikengachronicles.com/lunatics-pad-international-womens-day-can-we-scrap-bride-price-now/

1 Like

Re: Lunatic’s Pad: International Women’s Day; Can We Scrap “bride Price” Now? by Bigdigpussylova(m): 6:55pm On Mar 08, 2017
Chizgold:
. . . . .

After all these, this sweet sister will move into your house, and demand that you live the way of our brothers from the West. The Americans, the Europeans, the fellows whose marriages are so simple that the girl just has to take a ride from her house to a tree, or small chapel where the man will be waiting with a priest, and the act is done. Ah, sister, after introduction, list collection, traditional, and....

http://ikengachronicles.com/lunatics-pad-international-womens-day-can-we-scrap-bride-price-now/

i support u bro. after all these long african process and she would want us to live the western way. . . . mbanu! ! ! chukwu abiama no go gree.
Re: Lunatic’s Pad: International Women’s Day; Can We Scrap “bride Price” Now? by Rollsnjaguar(m): 7:16pm On Mar 08, 2017
Supported
Re: Lunatic’s Pad: International Women’s Day; Can We Scrap “bride Price” Now? by isbish(m): 7:20pm On Mar 08, 2017
Hmm
Re: Lunatic’s Pad: International Women’s Day; Can We Scrap “bride Price” Now? by babyfaceafrica: 7:32pm On Mar 08, 2017
Feminist will disagree

(1) (Reply)

That Awkward Moment / Is It Ok For Nass To Sit On Federal Budget For 3months? / El Rufai Did Not Say Anything New About President Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.