Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,137 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? (5421 Views)

Quality land Clearing, plowing and harrowing / Quality Bulldozer Land Clearing Service Nationwide. Reliable services. / My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by sagacious2016: 3:25pm On Mar 09, 2017
Please I need expert advice.

Just rented a 10 acre piece of land in Abeokuta but the money the labourers there are charging is exorbitant (18000-20000) per acre. That's about 200,000 naira alone on land clearing. But a friend suggested that I use chemical to clear the land.

So I want to know if it's advisable that I use chemical for land clearing of maize/cassava farm.

Whoever has an idea should please respond.

This is giving me sleepless nights already.

Thanks for your anticipated response.
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by sagacious2016: 5:39pm On Mar 09, 2017
sagacious2016:

Just rented a 10 acre piece of land in Abeokuta but the money the labourers there are charging is exorbitant (18000-20000) per acre. That's about 200,000 naira alone on land clearing. But a friend suggested that I use chemical to clear the land.

So I want to know if it's advisable that I use chemical for land clearing of maize/cassava farm.

16 views and no response.
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by bizzibodi(m): 5:46pm On Mar 09, 2017
does d land has thick shrubs & trees on it?
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by sagacious2016: 7:20pm On Mar 09, 2017
bizzibodi:
does d land has thick shrubs & trees on it?

Few trees and shrubs. Any suggestions please
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by farmerwealth(m): 8:57pm On Mar 09, 2017
I'll advice you look out for cheap labour outside that area, because you'll still have to plough the land and it won't be possible for tractor to move.
sagacious2016:

2 Likes

Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by sagacious2016: 10:19pm On Mar 09, 2017
farmerwealth:
I'll advice you look out for cheap labour outside that area, because you'll still have to plough the land and it won't be possible for tractor to move.

How about using herbicide (chemical) to clear the non-woody plants before using labour to cut down the trees and shrubs?
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by farmerwealth(m): 10:26pm On Mar 09, 2017
sagacious2016:

How about using herbicide (chemical) to clear the non-woody plants before using labour to cut down the trees and shrubs?
no need of using herbicides, just clear, pack in to different part of the farm and burn before the rain become stable. You can whatsapp me through 08059371220 for proper discussion
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by soil9: 10:39pm On Mar 09, 2017
farmerwealth:
no need of using herbicides, just clear, pack in to different part of the farm and burn before the rain become stable. You can whatsapp me through 08059371220 for proper discussion
Go to any agrochemical store and ask for Unitedforce.
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by Cee9(m): 10:39pm On Mar 09, 2017
get labourers to remove d few trees.Tractor will work on d shrubs.Then spray immediately after tractorization with pre&post herbicide. This will rid the area of weeds..
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by sagacious2016: 10:44pm On Mar 09, 2017
soil9:

Go to any agrochemical store and ask for Unitedforce.

How effective is it in terms of killing the ground vegetation and how long do i have to wait before plowing?thanks.
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by sagacious2016: 10:46pm On Mar 09, 2017
Cee9:
get labourers to remove d few trees.Tractor will work on d shrubs.Then spray immediately after tractorization with pre&post herbicide. This will rid the area of weeds..

I'm trying to look at the cost too
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by Cee9(m): 11:13pm On Mar 09, 2017
sagacious2016:

I'm trying to look at the cost too
I will advice u to do a smaller number of acres,with time u can expand.by then u can understand things more.labour&cost of such things doffer from place to place

1 Like

Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by sagacious2016: 7:10am On Mar 10, 2017
Cee9:

I will advice u to do a smaller number of acres,with time u can expand.by then u can understand things more.labour&cost of such things doffer from place to place

I've actually paid for 10 acres. And I have little farming experience. I studied agric related course but the only problem I'm having here is that of labour cost
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by omo17(m): 12:10pm On Mar 10, 2017
sagacious2016:

I've actually paid for 10 acres. And I have little farming experience. I studied agric related course but the only problem I'm having here is that of labour cost

Y don't u hire tractor nd clear it at once, I know you will get tractors to do d job in abeokuta, please where is ur farm.

1 Like

Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by bizzibodi(m): 4:19pm On Mar 10, 2017
sagacious2016:

Few trees and shrubs. Any suggestions please
use tree killer chemical to kill d trees & spray herbicides to kill d grasses,which u will still need 2 remove the standing dead grasses with cutlass,gather & burn them.That land is about 60 plots it is advisable u start small,large farm required high cost to manage,large farm need 2 be mechanised to b successful,u will need over a #1milln to successfully manage such large cassava & maize farm.
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by sagacious2016: 5:10pm On Mar 10, 2017
omo17:

Y don't u hire tractor nd clear it at once, I know you will get tractors to do d job in abeokuta, please where is ur farm.

Thanks. I'm already speaking with a tractor driver and we are negotiating. #4000 per acre. But he wants to check the place himself to see if it is 'tractorable'.
My farm is not far from kila
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by sagacious2016: 10:28pm On Mar 10, 2017
bizzibodi:

use tree killer chemical to kill d trees & spray herbicides to kill d grasses,which u will still need 2 remove the standing dead grasses with cutlass,gather & burn them.That land is about 60 plots it is advisable u start small,large farm required high cost to manage,large farm need 2 be mechanised to b successful,u will need over a #1milln to successfully manage such large cassava & maize farm.

Thanks so much.

PS: You don't need up to a million naira to manage 10 acres of maize and cassava farm. About 500,000 naira will do at the beginning. I've done all the necessary enquiries plus not my first time of farming.
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by muhamm3d: 11:22pm On Mar 10, 2017
sagacious2016:

Thanks. I'm already speaking with a tractor driver and we are negotiating. #4000 per acre. But he wants to check the place himself to see if it is 'tractorable'.
My farm is not far from kila

Is it the tractor clearing that is 4k or what? Can you kindly connect me to the tractor driver?? Thanks.
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by sagacious2016: 11:27pm On Mar 10, 2017
muhamm3d:

Is it the tractor clearing that is 4k or what? Can you kindly connect me to the tractor driver?? Thanks.

Sure. Renting of tractor is quite cheap here. In fact in most LG in Ibadan, they collect 5000 naira per acre. And there ways you can still bend the rules too.
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by Hopeyem12(m): 8:17am On Mar 11, 2017
Good morning @Sagacious2016, hope all is going fine with your farm project? Pls I'm interested in farming this year especially now that it's lucrative. How can I reach you? 08157976560
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by sagacious2016: 8:43am On Mar 11, 2017
Hopeyem12:
Good morning @Sagacious2016, hope all is going fine with your farm project? Pls I'm interested in farming this year especially now that it's lucrative. How can I reach you? 08157976560

Where do you intend to do your farming? I stay in Ibadan.
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by Hopeyem12(m): 9:21am On Mar 11, 2017
sagacious2016:

I'm in Lagos State but I'm looking at Ogun State, just because of distance other state won't be idea. Nearness to farm is important
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by omo17(m): 4:30pm On Mar 11, 2017
sagacious2016:

Pls where is ur farm in abk nd hw much did u pay for it?
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by keside(m): 4:49pm On Mar 11, 2017
Please i have similar challenge, what herbicide can i use to maintain a land that has just been cleared of trees and weeds by a caterpillar.
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by Kbaba3(m): 5:33pm On Mar 11, 2017
omo17:

Hello, do you know where exactly I can hire a tractor in Abeokuta and roughly how much it costs.
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by omo17(m): 11:35pm On Mar 11, 2017
Kbaba3:

Hello, do you know where exactly I can hire a tractor in Abeokuta and roughly how much it costs.

You can visit ogun state agro services corporation in Asero, just opposite the housing estate second gate. I don't really know how much dey charge.
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by jadajada: 4:20am On Mar 12, 2017
I just got 2 acres of land with the intention of planting maize and cassava. Which chemical can I apply to control weed that won't affect either of the crop?
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by jadajada: 7:52am On Mar 12, 2017
Cee9:
shld the spraying be done before planting?
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by Kbaba3(m): 10:13pm On Mar 13, 2017
omo17:

You can visit ogun state agro services corporation in Asero, just opposite the housing estate second gate. I don't really know how much dey charge.

Thank you
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by olushowunm(m): 11:04pm On Mar 13, 2017
sagacious2016:

First, show the picture of the vegetation for proper advice.
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by sagacious2016: 2:09pm On May 08, 2017
Update:
I have been able to clear the land and planted my maize.
The farmland has been extended to 30 acres of maize only for now.

But there is another little problem. The maize is about three weeks old but it has almost been taken over by weed. This is despite spraying with athrazine and ParaeForce herbicides immediately after planting.
Now I don't know which herbicide to use that will not affect my maize but will kill the weeds both broadleaf and grasses.
Any expert advice will be appreciated.
Re: Please Help: Can I Use Chemical For Land Clearing Of Maize/cassava Farm? by omo17(m): 7:44pm On May 08, 2017
sagacious2016:
Update:
I have been able to clear the land and planted my maize.
The farmland has been extended to 30 acres of maize only for now.

But there is another little problem. The maize is about three weeks old but it has almost been taken over by weed. This is despite spraying with athrazine and ParaeForce herbicides immediately after planting.
Now I don't know which herbicide to use that will not affect my maize but will kill the weeds both broadleaf and grasses.
Any expert advice will be appreciated.

Pls someone shd say something, I want to learn oo.

Can't u do manual weeding? because at that stage, maize plant shd be free from weed totally. Pls act fast

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

120capacity Standard Premium Imported Poultry Battery Cages.instock....... / If You Want To Make Money, Be A Farmer Not A Banker! Jim Rogers / 1-200kva Inverter And Solar Power Backup System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.