Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,466 members, 7,830,347 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

17 Kinds Of Atheism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 17 Kinds Of Atheism (770 Views)

My Prophecy About The End Of Atheism Still Very Much On Course 3 Months Later / Exposing the ignorance of atheism through simple class five poem / Conclusion : Atheism Is So Illogical , The Atheist Delusion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

17 Kinds Of Atheism by akintom(m): 7:26am On Mar 11, 2017
‘Atheism’ is a much simpler concept than ‘Christianity’ or ‘Hinduism’, but the word atheism is still used in a wide variety of ways.

This can cause confusion. Someone may announce that she is an atheist, and her listeners may assume she is one type of atheist, when really she is a different type of atheist.

So to clear things up, here are 17 kinds of atheism, organized into 7 sets. Some kinds of atheism can be combined in a person, and some cannot. For example, it is perfectly consistent to be an agnostic, narrow, friendly atheist. But one cannot simultaneously be both a passive atheist and a militant atheist.

This list is not definitive. There are many ways to organize and label different kinds of atheism.

For brevity’s sake, I have substituted “gods” for the usual phrase “God or gods.”

1. Difference in Knowledge

A gnostic atheist not only believes there are no gods, he also claims to know there are no gods.

An agnostic atheist doesn’t believe in gods, but doesn’t claim to know there are no gods.

2. Difference in Affirmation

A negative atheist merely lacks a belief in gods. He is also called a weak atheist or an implicit atheist.

A positive atheist not only lacks a belief in gods, but also affirms that no gods exist. He is also called a strong atheist or an explicit atheist.

3. Difference in Scope

A broad atheist denies the existence of all gods: Zeus, Thor, Yahweh, Shiva, and so on.

A narrow atheist denies the existence of the traditional Western omni-God who is all-good, all-knowing, and all-powerful.

4. Difference in the Assessed Rationality of Theism

An unfriendly atheist believes no one is justified in believing that gods exist.

An indifferent atheist doesn’t have a belief on whether or not others are justified in believing that gods exist.

A friendly atheist believes that some theists are justified in believing that gods exist.

5. Difference in Openness

A closet atheist has not yet revealed his disbelief to most people.

An open atheist has revealed his disbelief to most people.

6. Difference in Action

A passive atheist doesn’t believe in god but doesn’t try to influence the world in favor of atheism.

An evangelical atheist tries to persuade others to give up theistic belief.

An active atheist labors on behalf of causes that specifically benefit atheists (but not necessarily just atheists). For example, he strives against discrimination toward atheists, or he strives in favor of separation of church and state.

A militant atheist uses violence to promote atheism or destroy religion. (Often, the term “militant atheist” is misapplied to non-violent evangelical atheists like Richard Dawkins. But to preserve the parallel with the “militant Christian” who bombs abortion clinics or the “militant Muslim” suicide bomber, I prefer the definition of “militant atheist” that assumes acts of violence.)

7. Difference in Religiosity

A religious atheist practices religion but does not believe in gods.

A non-religious atheist does not practice religion.

Of course, there are many more “kinds” of atheism than this, for one may be a Republican atheist or a Democratic atheist, a short atheist or a tall atheist, a Caucasian atheist or an Hispanic atheist, a foundationalist atheist or a coherentist atheist, an enchanted atheist or a disenchanted atheist.

http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=6487
Re: 17 Kinds Of Atheism by Nobody: 7:55am On Mar 11, 2017
Just like we have a Brood of Vipers or a Herd of Cows, Your topic should read THE CONFUSION OF ATHEISM!

Or THE CACOPHONY OF ATHEISM.

Court Jesters you all are!
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 17 Kinds Of Atheism by ValentineMary(m): 8:22am On Mar 11, 2017
4everGod:
Just like we have a Brood of Vipers or a Herd of Cows, Your topic should read THE CONFUSION OF ATHEISM!

grin grin grin
Last I check religion had a broader classification. And they are yet to agree on the right God. But of course they are not confused, they are actually coherent thinkers grin

1 Like

Re: 17 Kinds Of Atheism by akintom(m): 8:51am On Mar 11, 2017
4everGod:

grin grin grin
This piece was posted here, to help the chronic lack of broader knowledge acquiring capacity, of the religious folks, especially the christards.

A hydramoniker(damogul/naijadeyhia/4everGod1/4everGod /damagepbuh) like your type, who unabashedly and cowardly boasted here on NL, that his coward and desert dwelling Idol, can grow amputated limb back, should be hiding in oblivion.
Re: 17 Kinds Of Atheism by Nobody: 9:38am On Mar 11, 2017
akintom:

This piece was posted here, to help the chronic lack of broader knowledge acquiring capacity, of the religious folks, especially the christards.

A hydramoniker(damogul/naijadeyhia/4everGod1/4everGod /damagepbuh) like your type, who unabashedly and cowardly boasted here on NL, that his coward and desert dwelling Idol, can grow amputated limb back, should be hiding in oblivion.

I guess you do not know that a boast is never cowardly.

Cretinous Jesters masquerading as atheists. You belong on comedy central.

Your post is to help your Jester lot because all of them are confused when it comes to what atheism is. Hit the slow motion botton and read your OP again and see how s much confusion is running riot in it. lmao

1 Like

Re: 17 Kinds Of Atheism by Nobody: 9:41am On Mar 11, 2017
ValentineMary:

Last I check religion had a broader classification. And they are yet to agree on the right God. But of course they are not confused, they are actually coherent thinkers grin

when I call you lot clowns you bare yoyr fangs. Consider your comment here. Do you assume me to be Religious? if you do then you are indeed blind and confused.

1 Like

Re: 17 Kinds Of Atheism by enshy: 9:49am On Mar 11, 2017
4everGod:

Your post is to help your Jester lot because all of them are confused when it comes to what atheism is. Hit the slow motion botton and read your OP again and see how s much confusion is running riot in it. lmao
Can you imagine the nonsense I just read up there?
It lacks credibility, insight, knowledge.
Its a show of shame out of desperation to popularize folly!
I like your conclusion, OP only succeeded in mocking atheism! Only clowns and the jesters association can find meaning in that post!
Re: 17 Kinds Of Atheism by Nobody: 10:07am On Mar 11, 2017
^^^

Seeing from above that the regilious idiots have invaded this thread, i find it safe to say that this thread won't hit the right mark.

Seems a shame too.
Re: 17 Kinds Of Atheism by Richirich713: 10:15am On Mar 11, 2017
Doesn't really matter, all 17 are fools.
Re: 17 Kinds Of Atheism by enshy: 10:23am On Mar 11, 2017
Richirich713:
Doesn't really matter, all 17 are fools.
Correct my Bro In Christ!
All 17 are fools exactly what the Bible calls them.
They say Bible is false but its true when it calls atheists fools.
Till date, atheists have not failed in proving the Bible true as they display folly with ease and without shame!
Let God be True and everyman a Liar!!

1 Like

Re: 17 Kinds Of Atheism by luvmijeje(f): 10:33am On Mar 11, 2017
It doesn't matter.... ... ... It is still an unorganized belief way of thinking. .
Re: 17 Kinds Of Atheism by akintom(m): 11:13am On Mar 11, 2017
4everGod:

You keep presenting an example of how dumb the apologists are, especially the NL herd. No other new word better describes the depth of the dysfunctional state of the minds, as far as intelligence is concerned, than being called christards.

An illusionary boast, that you can't come out to defend, when you were called out, is not foolishness and cowardice?

You see, among all the coward apologists on NL, you deserve highest position.

Why haven't you been coming here with the moniker (damogul), with which you committed that infantile ranting?

Until you withdraw that foolish boast, you have no honest and intelligent justification to participate in discussions that requires the participation of sane minds.
Re: 17 Kinds Of Atheism by Nobody: 11:17am On Mar 11, 2017
akintom:

You keep presenting an example of how dumb the apologists are, especially the NL herd. No other new word better describes the depth of the dysfunctional state of the minds, as far as intelligence is concerned, than being called christards.

An illusionary boast, that you can't come out to defend, when you were called out, is not foolishness and cowardice?

You see, among all the coward apologists on NL, you deserve highest position.

Why haven't you been coming here with the moniker (damogul), with which you committed that infantile ranting?

Until you withdraw that foolish boast, you have no honest and intelligent justification to participate in discussions that requires the participation sane minds.

Did anybody tie your tongue and stop you from boasting in atheism? Was my boast yours? Why do you want me to retract it so badly? WHY ARE YOU BEING THE COWARD ON MY BEHALF?

Your threads are devoid of content. Maybe you need to ask yourself why nobody pays you any mind here on NL. You open threads and you alone patronise it.

Buffoonery at its peak.
Re: 17 Kinds Of Atheism by akintom(m): 11:45am On Mar 11, 2017
4everGod:

Did anybody tie your tongue and stop you from boasting in atheism? Was my boast yours? Why do you want me to retract it so badly? WHY ARE YOU BEING THE COWARD ON MY BEHALF?

Your threads are devoid of content. Maybe you need to ask yourself why nobody pays you any mind here on NL. You open threads and you alone patronise it.

Buffoonery at its peak.
There's no way you will not boast foolishly, especially when you now type with your tongue.

Your position among the apologists, whose organ for reasoning suffers perforation, is now raised to power 7. Enjoy your elevation into emptiness.
Re: 17 Kinds Of Atheism by Nobody: 11:47am On Mar 11, 2017
akintom:

There's no way you will not boast foolishly, especially when you now type with your tongue.

Your position among the apologists, whose organ for reasoning suffers perforation, is now raised to power 7. Enjoy your elevation into emptiness.

If I had known that you are now floating an award giving NL agency I would have come better dressed for the occasion. lmao

Dreaming Jester!
Re: 17 Kinds Of Atheism by Ermacc: 9:46pm On Mar 11, 2017
SirWere:
^^^

Seeing from above that the regilious idiots have invaded this thread, i find it safe to say that this thread won't hit the right mark.

Seems a shame too.
same way you invade the religion section of nairaland. Let me ask you Mr atheist, what business do you have with religion? If atheism isnt a belief, this thread should have be taken to maybe, the crime or romance section.

(1) (Reply)

Standing Tall Amidst The Storms Of Life; The Biblical Approach / Advice...My Sister Made A Threat Because I Refused To Go To A Spiritual Church. / What Is The Canon?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.