Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,030 members, 7,814,512 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill (16206 Views)

Lagos To Relocate 400 Jakande Estate Residents / Police Have Abandoned Us, Nitel/mtel Ikorodu Estate Residents Lament / 28 Tenants Flee Estate Where Electricity Bill Is More Than Rent (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by solarview(m): 7:47am On Mar 13, 2017
Huh! I think my service would be of help here
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by buffalowings: 7:48am On Mar 13, 2017
PapaBrowne:
In my estate in Lekki I pay average N60,000 monthly and we get 24hrs light. I run 5 air conditioners very regularly and a couple other appliances.

I also operate outside of Lagos and have residence in my base of operation. Here I use a private generator. The average consumption on 6 hrs usage is about 15 litres =Average 2200. I also get an average of 8 hrs light daily. In total my power consumption a month for 14 hrs light daily comes up to approximately 90,000 Naira and I can bare run 2 Air conditioners on that.

I tell you those guys might actually be better off paying that amount than running their own generators,
yea 60k on electricity bill

how much does a regular worker takes home per month

please let's take time to reason

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by Itzurboi(m): 7:50am On Mar 13, 2017
PapaBrowne:
In my estate in Lekki I pay average N60,000 monthly and we get 24hrs light. I run 5 air conditioners very regularly and a couple other appliances.

I also operate outside of Lagos and have residence in my base of operation. Here I use a private generator. The average consumption on 6 hrs usage is about 15 litres =Average 2200. I also get an average of 8 hrs light daily. In total my power consumption a month for 14 hrs light daily comes up to approximately 90,000 Naira and I can bare run 2 Air conditioners on that.

I tell you those guys might actually be better off paying that amount than running their own generators,
We know your type, you that dont even have "tiger" gen.... keep aspiring for LAI post

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by pavy(m): 7:52am On Mar 13, 2017
PapaBrowne:

Why not opt for solar instead and save some serious cash?
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by jeftalene(m): 7:53am On Mar 13, 2017
Oooops! That's pretty high tho'

Our services include;
Piling/Pile Foundation
Pile Load Test
Soil Test/Geotechnical Survey
Integrity Test
Underpinning of Weak/Faulty Foundations
Structural Steel Construction
Clearing/Opening up of Large Expanse of Land
Estate Road/Drainage works
Dredging
Project/Contract Partnership
@ budget-friendly rates anywhere in Nigeria.

We are;
Heavens Contractors Ltd (RC1288467)
Phone: 08167394799
Blog: http://engineerosaz..com
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by mapet: 8:04am On Mar 13, 2017
Ezedon:
Fasholaa and APC , criminals

Bros,

GTFOH.......you did not read the report, you just simply announced your daftness
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by bettercreature(m): 8:21am On Mar 13, 2017
kennygee:
150k, na factory them dey run?
They can't even use 150k to run generator per month
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by bitingcool: 8:21am On Mar 13, 2017
chukwukahenry:
things are getting out of hands

Nice. Things have gotten out of hand

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by rheether(f): 8:22am On Mar 13, 2017
PapaBrowne:

That's it. I currently pay 53k per month and I am not complaining because there is power 24/7
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by einsteinn(m): 8:22am On Mar 13, 2017
PapaBrowne:

..15litres....for 6hrs??....i doubt hw possible that is.
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by jimoqua: 8:24am On Mar 13, 2017
this madness , the light dem no go bring and if you did not pay they cut your light. i hate exploitation and cheating. this is tartamount to robbery
NERC should perform there responsibilty.
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by egobetatoday: 8:35am On Mar 13, 2017
Jabioro:
If runs generator will you spend such amount per month? Wouldn't you managed your system? Let all the estate habitant stop payment, rise in one voice and you see collapse like pack of cigarettes.

hehehe. pple who use solar panels dont spend that much. Abi dem be mugu?
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by dotcomnamename: 8:39am On Mar 13, 2017
This is the reason some people prefer buying their plot of land from individual and build their house in a pre-developed area. Estate land / property is a big problem if you are not rich.
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by Jabioro: 8:45am On Mar 13, 2017
egobetatoday:

hehehe. pple who use solar panels dont spend that much. Abi dem be mugu?
I tired for them
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by Zane2point4(m): 8:55am On Mar 13, 2017
Itzurboi:
We know your type, you that dont even have "tiger" gen.... keep aspiring for LAI post

I just wan reply you, buh then i checked your profile and immediately saw the reason you disagreed with the man, what did he say that isnt obtainable?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by Rekeb: 8:58am On Mar 13, 2017
eph12:

Do you really need to run all those appliances regularly or you doing so to make the best of your bill?

We haven't had light in my area for over two years and my gen runs for a minimum of 6hrs daily sometimes more. I spend about 20k monthly on fuel and even if I'm to double my gen usage I still won't spend up to 60k not to talk of 150k.

Do you use diesel generator and how many appliances do you use. Your cost of fuel looks pretty low. Please tell us the trick.
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by eph12(m): 9:26am On Mar 13, 2017
Rekeb:

Do you use diesel generator and how many appliances do you use. Your cost of fuel looks pretty low. Please tell us the trick.
Nah I don't use diesel gen. It's a 5 bedroom apartments, no AC, two tv, a fridge and a deep freezer. During weekdays, gen comes on around 6.30-7pm and goes off between 12-1am. No trick.
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by stevedre: 9:32am On Mar 13, 2017
Zane2point4:

I just wan reply you, buh then i checked your profile and immediately saw the reason you disagreed with the man, what did he say that isnt obtainable?

Nairaland is seriously losing it due to people like that kid so dont waste your breath on him. Now back to the topic, the bill is definately on the high side considering the power is not provided by the estate but a public power sector. Would rather run a solar + Gen than pay such an amount monthly, whats your take on this ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by Zane2point4(m): 9:44am On Mar 13, 2017
stevedre:

Nairaland is seriously losing it due to people like that kid so dont waste your breath on him. Now back to the topic, the bill is definately on the high side considering the power is not provided by the estate but a public power sector. Would rather run a solar + Gen than pay such an amount monthly, whats your take on this ?

Its obvious the power provider is looting everyone in what i call day light robbery, i rather write to them officially to disconnect me, then run my gen as i like.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by VULCAN(m): 10:01am On Mar 13, 2017
Tell us more please?

amiablesystems:

I agree with the analysis but not 150k, abeg, i generate 24hours light and can create a design for even the most complex buildings to run on electricity, it doesn't cost this much
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by Kingspin(m): 10:06am On Mar 13, 2017
These are some of the little things that require good attention and for government to address. Because this touch the live of every Nigerian. But unfortunately we are nowhere. Change can never be on papers but in the live of many Nigerians.
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by Chicastle: 10:14am On Mar 13, 2017
hydroking23:
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC, is facing the allegation of conspiring with a property development firm against electricity consumers who pay as much as N150,000 monthly for power in Abuja.

Residents of Emerald Court, a housing estate in Gudu District of Abuja, accuse UAC Property Development Company, UPDC, of illegal generation of electricity, overbilling, disconnection of residents, and failure to separate the public electricity supply from residents’ private lines.

They also accuse the company of violating the Electricity Power Sector Reform Act, EPSRA, 2005, and doing so with the support of the regulator, NERC.

The residents say NERC has refused to sanction UPDC almost a year after clear illegalities committed by the company were reported to it.

At the core of the controversy is that UPDC installed and operated in the estate electricity generating sets with combined capacity of over 1,015 KVA, without an operating license.

As part of its services, UPDC has been distributing the generated electricity to the estate and levying residents arbitrarily bills without providing meters to determine consumption, said Odilim Enwegbara, a resident of the estate.

Each of the 42 flats and five service apartments in the high rise section of the estate are required to deposit N1 million every year to take care of electricity bills, subject to a minimum charge of N150,000 every month, irrespective of consumption, Mr. Enwegbara said who sent a petition to NERC.

UPDC replicates the same practice in all the over 16 residential and commercial properties it currently owns and operates in Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt.

NERC wades in

Part IV, Section 62 of the EPSR Act 2005, which sets up NERC, prohibits the generation, distribution and trading in electricity by any person, except in accordance with a licence issued by commission.

Sub-section 62(2) specifically states: “…, a person may construct, own or operate an undertaking for generating electricity not exceeding one megawatt in aggregate at a site or an undertaking for distribution for electricity with a capacity not exceeding 100 kilowatts in aggregate at a site, or such other capacity as the Commission may determine from time to time, without licence.”

Section 62 (5) stipulates: “…any person who contravenes any of these provision “commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding five hundred thousand Naira, or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding two years , or to both such fine and imprisonment.”

NERC waded in after it received a petition from Mr. Enwegbara, and on March 10, 2016, its officials visited the estate to confirm the allegations.

On April 11, 2016, General Manager (Legal, Licensing and Enforcement Division), Olufunke Dinneh, wrote to UPDC management on NERC’s findings during its visit to the estate.

NERC’s findings, Mrs. Dinneh said, confirmed the allegations against UPDC. Apart from operating two electricity generating units with combined capacity in excess of the one megawatt limit set in the Act, NERC also found UPDC’s electricity distribution within the estate was above 100 KW.

Besides, Mrs. Dinneh said documents reviewed from residents during the visit also revealed the company’s billing system did not conform to NERC’s regulation.

Mrs. Dinneh said an analysis of what UPDC levied Mr. Enwegbara for January 2014 to January 2015 showed grid supply at N32,123.60, generator supply (N178,914.73); VAT (N100,289.97) and service charge (N496,030.96).

“An appraisal of facts from our investigation, vis-a-vis the provisions of the Act, brings us to no other conclusions than that you are clearly in violation of the Act,” Mrs. Dinneh said in her letter to UPDC.

On May 6, 2016, NERC sent a letter to UPDC directing it to desist from its illegal activities and maintain status quo, by collecting only recognised tariff and refrain from illegally disconnecting residents, pending the final determination of the complaint.

Meanwhile, UPDC was served notice to commence enforcement of its rules for violating the Act if within seven days of the receipt of the letter it did not respond to all the issues.

On May 13, 2016, NERC said UPDC requested a meeting with it and the petitioner. At the meeting, UPDC was directed to replace bulk metering with AEDC individual meters to residents within 30 days and report progress to the Commission.

The meeting resolved to carry residents along by copying them in all correspondences between NERC and UPDC till the matter was settled.

On May 27, 2016, NERC said UPDC wrote to request that enforcement action should not commence against it, as it had commenced the process of obtaining a captive generation permit, while a consultant would advise on the separation of grid from private electricity supply.

Curiously, contrary to its resolution during the meeting, Mr. Enwegbara said NERC deliberately refused to inform residents about UPDC’s moves and its decision to grant a six-month extension for the company to comply with its directive.

NERC said during the extension, UPDC would obtain a valid captive power generation permit, provide detailed work plan with specific timelines, stop disconnecting residents and separate public electricity power supply from others.

“The fact that NERC kept residents in the dark about what UPDC was doing only confirms it was more interested in defending and protecting it, to continue defrauding unsuspecting residents of Emerald Court,” Mr. Enwegbara said.

“Let NERC produce a letter it sent jointly with UPDC to Emerald Court residents and the evidence they agreed that extending the timeline would be in their best interest, while stopping the illegal captive electricity generation and distribution would hurt them,” Mr. Enwegbara noted.

He told PREMIUM TIMES residents have good reason to suspect NERC officials compromised their job.

“If NERC officials were not compromised, how come they failed to sanction UPDC for violating the law? Apart from the N500, 000 fine stipulated in the Act for offenders like UPDC, why did NERC not demand the refund of all payments by residents in excess of the legal electricity bills?

“Clearly, NERC allowed UPDC to get away with the fraud, not only in our estate, but in all properties the company runs across the country,” Mr. Enwegbara said.

Mr. Enwegbara, on July 18, 2016, protested against NERC’s decision to grant UPDC operating license.

“My greatest disbelief is that NERC, which as a regulator, should be protecting public interest from the illegal and exploitative activities by private companies like UPDC, is not only (failing) to do so, but in fact providing such public exploiters all the backdoor support to legitimize their exploitation of the unsuspecting public,” Mr. Enwegbara said in a letter to the Commission.

“Why is NERC biased and in a hurry to grant UPDC captive license to legitimize its illegal trading in electricity, but reluctant in stopping UPDC from defrauding its unsuspecting residents,” he added.

He gave NERC seven days to respond or risk legal action. A copy of the protest was sent to the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Tunde Fashola. The Minister is yet to respond to the letter.

However, UPDC in a letter to all residents last December said the estate was connected to the national grid with a dedicated transformer and skipper panel meter for reading the total power consumption in kilowatts from the electricity distribution company.

To carry out NERC’s directives, UPDC said the 650 KVA generator would be replaced with a 400 KVA generator to avoid violating the law and reduce its total power generation capacity to about 765 KVA, less than one megawatt limit.

The company said the cost of connecting each generating unit to the national grid and each unit having two meters for public and generator power consumption would be borne by each resident.

In its response to PREMIUM TIMES’ enquiry last Thursday, NERC said over 90 per cent of the work on the installation of dual tariff meters had been completed by UPDC, with the entire work to be completed in March.

No changes

However, residents told PREMIUM TIMES during a visit to the estate that UPDC had continued to act in defiance of its agreement with NERC.

Although bulk supply meters have been installed about a month ago, the company is yet to connect them to individual premises as directed. Yet, they have continued to levy residents arbitrarily. Those who refuse to pay up are disconnected instantly from public supply.

“The so-called meters were only brought in late last month, while the old fraudulent billing system continues to date. It’s almost one year since the petition was sent to NERC, March 7, 2016. Yet, all the delays have been carefully orchestrated to benefit UPDC, since it continues to send residents the illegal bills,” Mr. Enwegbara said.

When contacted, UPDC representative, Yemi Ejidiran, told PREMIUM TIMES the company had complied fully to NERC’s directives on the issues.

Asked about reports by residents that bulk meters installed at the estate were yet to be connected to individual premises, Mr. Ejidiran said he was not permitted to comment further as the matter was in court.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/business-news/225861-nigerian-estate-residents-paying-n150-000-monthly-electricity-bill-accuse-regulator-conspiracy.html/amp
i have seen a hotel in edo state where they pay 150k. And there is 24hr power generation
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by Ab4all(m): 10:56am On Mar 13, 2017
Chicastle:
i have seen a hotel in edo state where they pay 150k. And there is 24hr power generation
Bros which part of edo state? just curious.
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by laudate: 11:19am On Mar 13, 2017
PapaBrowne:

Guy, if you are paying 90,000 naira every month running your private generator for 8 hours of light everyday, yet you can barely run two airconditioners, then someone is definitely stealing your diesel or fuel supplies. There is an element of waste, loss or leakage somewhere. Pls investigate. undecided
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by Codes151(m): 11:27am On Mar 13, 2017
Some Nigerians are cowards!! I know say some people go still pay keep quiet
Re: Nigerian Estate Residents Paying N150, 000 Monthly Electricity Bill by Standing5(m): 2:16am On Mar 14, 2017
PapaBrowne:

Petrol or deisel gen? stop misinforming people on topic u barely understand.

(1) (2) (Reply)

AVAILABLE PLOTS AT ALMOND GREEN ESTATE ABRAHAM ADESANYA AJAH. / Price/cost Per SQM Of Aluminium Step Tiles,long Span, Metcoppo Roofing Sheets! / Let Your House Design Speak Who You Are,to Hav A Perfect Design Pls Read This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.