Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,855 members, 7,828,084 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

The Gunshot Injury Law And The Tragic Death Of Kelechi Ibezunma!!! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Gunshot Injury Law And The Tragic Death Of Kelechi Ibezunma!!! (676 Views)

Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor / Stop Rejecting Gunshot Victims, Police Warn Hospitals / Doctors To Now Treat Gunshot Wounds Without Police Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Gunshot Injury Law And The Tragic Death Of Kelechi Ibezunma!!! by Damian2016: 12:53am On Mar 14, 2017
Source: DOCTORSHUB NIGERIA

It was with a heavy heart that I read the tragic and untimely death of Kelechi Ibezunma, a physiology student of Madonna University, Okija. Kelechi was attacked over the weekend by gun-wielding daredevil robbers on his way back from a shop where he had gone to buy bread and milk to eat for the night. He was brutally shot in the face by the evil robbers because he, according to reports, refused to part with his phone when they (the robbers) demanded that he give it to them.

Sadly, this is not the first time such a tragedy is happening in Nigeria. In fact, it is a pretty common occurence. It is now routine for one to wake up to such disturbing and heartrending news. However, the aspect of Kelechi's death news that grieves me more than anything is the fact that, although Kelechi was shot, he still could have been saved and would be alive now (probably in coma, but alive) only if the doctors at Federal Medical Center, Owerri, where he was rushed to, had attended to him. According reports, Kelechi was still alive, struggling to hold on to it with all his might, when he arrived the hospital. But guess what? He was rejected treatment once it became apparent that he didn't have a police report. Even with his blood gushing all over the place, with his pulse fading away and his breathing severely strained, the doctors couldn't help poor Kelechi. No necessary emergency operations or resuscitation was done to save Kelechi's life. Absolutely nothing. Why? Because of ordinary police report!

Right now I am positively livid and unconsolably sad, at the same time, because this is the umpteenth time that such a senseless practise has resulted in the death of a Nigerian. I am so sure young Kelechi, before his untimely demise, was brimming with so much hope and dreams of a better tomorrow. Only for his young life to be brutally cut short- both by the action of the robbers and the inactions of the doctors at Federal Medical Center, Owerri.

However, a few days ago I read on the news a statement credited to the current IG of police where he urged doctors to go ahead and treat gunshot victims without police reports. Sometime last year too, the FG, via the minister of health, admonished medical practitioners to do same. The news made it sound as though the obnoxious law has been repealed. If indeed that is true (I truly hope it is), then the doctors at FMC Owerri are culpbable of medical negligence and liable to sanctions.

That said, I do have a few burning questions on this issue that are bugging my mind:

1. How did such a diabolic and infamous law (that all gunshot victims must obtain a police report before they can get treated) come to be in the first place? What was the modus operandi of its authors?

2. If indeed the wicked law has been repealed, why are healthcare practitioners still not complying with this directive from the FG? While are they still requesting for the so-called report?

3. Why hasn't a new law that makes it an offense for doctors not to attend to gunshot victims without police reports been promulgated and be made to reflect in the code of medical ethics? Or is it possible there is a law in place already that I am ignorant of? Please someone should educate me.

4. Assuming the law still hasn't been repealed, when will the NMA stand up to such a senseless law and push for a bill that would abolish this cruel practice?

Here me, Nigerians....

If indeed the federal government has abolished the practice (as they are making us think they have) and also communicated this correction to the MDCN and NMA, then it amounts to gross misconduct on the part of the doctors at FMC Owerri to have denied Kelechi the appropriate treatment. As such, instituting a litigation against them won't be out of place. The FG MUST send a very strong and clear message that they won't tolerate any instance of refusal by doctors to treat gunshot victims even though they (the FG) have urged medical practioners to disregard the hitherto infamous law.

Secondly, if it was just mere lip service that the IG of police and minister of health were paying (I want to believe they meant every word they spoke), then it is truly sad and unfortunate. Bearing this in mind, let all Nigerians rise up against this senseless law and bring it to an end. Enough is enough. Too many Nigerians have died because they were the unlucky victims of gunshot injuries.

Now to all those who command massive social or political influence or both, please lend your voices to this call and draw attention to this uncivilized practice.
To every Nigerian, at home or abroad, let us commit ourselves to ending these killings. It is an anomaly that should not have been in the first place. Let us remember that the tragic fate that befell Kelechi can happen to anyone else. No one is immune to the power of stray bullets.
Although we all fervently pray that such misadventures be averted in our lives, no one knows when a trigger-happy robber, kidnapper or even some reckless security operatives would turn their muzzles at us and squeeze the trigger with demonic satisfaction.

Finally, my heart is with the family and friends of Kelechi who are overcome with grief at such an inopportune moment. May the good lord grant you all the fortitude to bear his loss.

R.I.P Kelechi .C. Ibezunma.

You may also find useful, "5 MEDICAL MISTAKES YOU CAN SUE YOUR DOCTOR FOR" here:http://doctorshub.com.ng/2017/02/22/5-medical-mistakes-you-can-sue-your-doctor-for/

http://doctorshub.com.ng/2017/03/13/the-gunshot-injury-law-an-anomaly-long-overdue/
Re: The Gunshot Injury Law And The Tragic Death Of Kelechi Ibezunma!!! by Buharimustgo: 1:38am On Mar 14, 2017
I have been in this situation before,when I was shot over 50something bullets but Almighty God saved me,its not human to deny anybody gun shot injury treatment because of no Police report,the police have repeated given media blanket approval,they doctors can save life while at the same time report the case to the police instead of using lack of police report as an excuse not to save a life
Re: The Gunshot Injury Law And The Tragic Death Of Kelechi Ibezunma!!! by Nobody: 3:03am On Mar 14, 2017
Damian2016:
Source: DOCTORSHUB NIGERIA

It was with a heavy heart that I read the tragic and untimely death of Kelechi Ibezunma, a physiology student of Madonna University, Okija. Kelechi was attacked over the weekend by gun-wielding daredevil robbers on his way back from a shop where he had gone to buy bread and milk to eat for the night. He was brutally shot in the face by the evil robbers because he, according to reports, refused to part with his phone when they (the robbers) demanded that he give it to them.

Sadly, this is not the first time such a tragedy is happening in Nigeria. In fact, it is a pretty common occurence. It is now routine for one to wake up to such disturbing and heartrending news. However, the aspect of Kelechi's death news that grieves me more than anything is the fact that, although Kelechi was shot, he still could have been saved and would be alive now (probably in coma, but alive) only if the doctors at Federal Medical Center, Owerri, where he was rushed to, had attended to him. According reports, Kelechi was still alive, struggling to hold on to it with all his might, when he arrived the hospital. But guess what? He was rejected treatment once it became apparent that he didn't have a police report. Even with his blood gushing all over the place, with his pulse fading away and his breathing severely strained, the doctors couldn't help poor Kelechi. No necessary emergency operations or resuscitation was done to save Kelechi's life. Absolutely nothing. Why? Because of ordinary police report!

Right now I am positively livid and unconsolably sad, at the same time, because this is the umpteenth time that such a senseless practise has resulted in the death of a Nigerian. I am so sure young Kelechi, before his untimely demise, was brimming with so much hope and dreams of a better tomorrow. Only for his young life to be brutally cut short- both by the action of the robbers and the inactions of the doctors at Federal Medical Center, Owerri.

However, a few days ago I read on the news a statement credited to the current IG of police where he urged doctors to go ahead and treat gunshot victims without police reports. Sometime last year too, the FG, via the minister of health, admonished medical practitioners to do same. The news made it sound as though the obnoxious law has been repealed. If indeed that is true (I truly hope it is), then the doctors at FMC Owerri are culpbable of medical negligence and liable to sanctions.

That said, I do have a few burning questions on this issue that are bugging my mind:

1. How did such a diabolic and infamous law (that all gunshot victims must obtain a police report before they can get treated) come to be in the first place? What was the modus operandi of its authors?

2. If indeed the wicked law has been repealed, why are healthcare practitioners still not complying with this directive from the FG? While are they still requesting for the so-called report?

3. Why hasn't a new law that makes it an offense for doctors not to attend to gunshot victims without police reports been promulgated and be made to reflect in the code of medical ethics? Or is it possible there is a law in place already that I am ignorant of? Please someone should educate me.

4. Assuming the law still hasn't been repealed, when will the NMA stand up to such a senseless law and push for a bill that would abolish this cruel practice?

Here me, Nigerians....

If indeed the federal government has abolished the practice (as they are making us think they have) and also communicated this correction to the MDCN and NMA, then it amounts to gross misconduct on the part of the doctors at FMC Owerri to have denied Kelechi the appropriate treatment. As such, instituting a litigation against them won't be out of place. The FG MUST send a very strong and clear message that they won't tolerate any instance of refusal by doctors to treat gunshot victims even though they (the FG) have urged medical practioners to disregard the hitherto infamous law.

Secondly, if it was just mere lip service that the IG of police and minister of health were paying (I want to believe they meant every word they spoke), then it is truly sad and unfortunate. Bearing this in mind, let all Nigerians rise up against this senseless law and bring it to an end. Enough is enough. Too many Nigerians have died because they were the unlucky victims of gunshot injuries.

Now to all those who command massive social or political influence or both, please lend your voices to this call and draw attention to this uncivilized practice.
To every Nigerian, at home or abroad, let us commit ourselves to ending these killings. It is an anomaly that should not have been in the first place. Let us remember that the tragic fate that befell Kelechi can happen to anyone else. No one is immune to the power of stray bullets.
Although we all fervently pray that such misadventures be averted in our lives, no one knows when a trigger-happy robber, kidnapper or even some reckless security operatives would turn their muzzles at us and squeeze the trigger with demonic satisfaction.

Finally, my heart is with the family and friends of Kelechi who are overcome with grief at such an inopportune moment. May the good lord grant you all the fortitude to bear his loss.

R.I.P Kelechi .C. Ibezunma.

You may also find useful, "5 MEDICAL MISTAKES YOU CAN SUE YOUR DOCTOR FOR" here:http://doctorshub.com.ng/2017/02/22/5-medical-mistakes-you-can-sue-your-doctor-for/

http://doctorshub.com.ng/2017/03/13/the-gunshot-injury-law-an-anomaly-long-overdue/

too long ....sumary plz
Re: The Gunshot Injury Law And The Tragic Death Of Kelechi Ibezunma!!! by rommutd: 3:27am On Mar 14, 2017
Hello! I'm a Rom, I would like to challenge the whole world with the kind of games follows:
First, Super Smash Flash 2 v0 9b is a perfect upgrade of Super Smash Flash Game. A well-known, addictive game with millions of searches every month. Not many games surpass the number 1.000.000 like this game.

Second, You’ll have to be very ingenious to pass the levels in the game. At a high level, you will face many difficulties.
Rolling Sky 2 Online has 14 levels for you to conquer, if you pass level 14, you really are a top player.

And finally, Drag the ball left or right and avoid all obstacles. Do not deviate from track! Come on! Relentless pursuit of super speed. You can be faster along with the music rhythm!

Rolling Sky Game is a 3D game. There are many different levels of play at the levels of increasing difficulty. At a high level, you will have to overcome many more obstacles, requires ingenuity, agility and persistence.
Are you ready?

(1) (Reply)

Miscarriage / Contact Us For Your Varieties Of Greenworld Drugs / How To Prevent Stroke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.