Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,842 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:07 AM

Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" (33798 Views)

Major Differences Between 10 Sets Of Look Alike Animals / Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes / Differences Between The Gmat And Gre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by Adeyeancah(m): 9:52am On Mar 14, 2017
Good morning nairalanders, hope u are having a lovely day. This is for those who gets confused whenever they wants to use these phrases "In time and On time".
I did a little research online and found these examples so I thought I should share.

What's the difference between "in time" and "on time"?

The phrases "in time" and "on time" are very similar in meaning, but English speakers use them in slightly different situations.

On time
Doing something "on time" means meeting an appointment, or meeting a time that has been set by someone. For example:
I hardly ever get to work on time.
My flight's on time, so I'll meet you at the airport at 3:30.
If you don't turn it in on time, you'll receive a 20-point deduction.

In time
Doing something "in time" means doing it before a deadline, or doing it before it becomes unavailable:
I wanted to do some kind of study abroad program, but I didn't get my applications done in time.
Oh no; it's already 9:55. Are we going to be able to make it in time?

Let me give you more examples.

ON TIME

The flight is scheduled to leave at 10:30 AM.
If it leaves at 10:30 AM, the flight is leaving on time.
The class is supposed to start at 9:00.
If it does start at 9:00 with no delays, it is starting on time.
If you say “He’s always on time” it means he is punctual; he always arrives at the correct time, he is not late.
If you say “He’s never on time” it means he is always late.

IN TIME
In time means that something happened at the last moment before it was too late; before something bad would happen.

The accident victim was seriously injured; they got him to the hospital just in time.
(If they hadn’t arrived at the hospital, he might have died)
I missed the opportunity to go to that college because I didn’t submit my application in time.
I got stuck in traffic and arrived just in time to catch my flight.

So I tested my knowledge and got 9/10. Here's a proof below and a link to do the test. Do your own test and upload your result. No ojoro or magomago o o grin

http://www.tolearnenglish.com/exercises/exercise-english-2/exercise-english-16425.php

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by Adeyeancah(m): 9:55am On Mar 14, 2017
Let the fun begin
Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by nextprince: 9:55am On Mar 14, 2017
OP, thank you. I have been using the two interchangeably.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by Adeyeancah(m): 9:58am On Mar 14, 2017
nextprince:
OP, thank you. I have been using the two interchangeably.
No be only you oh...I just thought about it this morning . Do ur own test and submit
Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by Adeyeancah(m): 10:17am On Mar 14, 2017
Test your knowledge, will you? cc: lalasticlala
Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by nextprince: 10:18am On Mar 14, 2017
Adeyeancah:
No be only you oh...I just thought about it this morning . Do ur own test and submit

My result
I missed one.

3 Likes

Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by Adeyeancah(m): 10:27am On Mar 14, 2017
nextprince:

My result
I missed one.
I also got the number one incorrectly. Are u not in Nigeria? Your times says 2:45pm
Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by nextprince: 10:33am On Mar 14, 2017
Adeyeancah:
I also got the number one incorrectly. Are u not in Nigeria? Your times says 2:45pm

Ya head dey there. About 5 hrs difference.

Choi, you will be a good detective.

I just noticed how the whole of the screen appears on the screen shot.
Nawao.

3 Likes

Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by Adeyeancah(m): 10:50am On Mar 14, 2017
nextprince:

Ya head dey there. About 5 hrs difference.
Choi, you will be a good detective.
I just noticed how the whole of the screen appears on the screen shot. Nawao.
Ah really? God bless your hustle bro
Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by Chimaritoponcho: 11:02am On Mar 14, 2017
if you are a one-minute man,you are "in time" but if you fit last for 2hours,my brother you are "on time"..i dey my house come beat mecheesy

8 Likes

Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by Proffdada: 11:03am On Mar 14, 2017
I was in a job interview today. The interviewing manager handed me his laptop and said, "I want you to try and sell this to me."

So I put the laptop under my arm, walked out of the building, and went home.

Eventually he called my mobile and said, "Bring it back here right now!"

I said, "200k and it's yours." grin grin

14 Likes

Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by Nobody: 11:04am On Mar 14, 2017
HOW WILL GRAMMAR END RECESSION?
Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by helinues: 11:05am On Mar 14, 2017
Nice one
Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by burkingx(f): 11:05am On Mar 14, 2017
shocked

8 Likes

Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by sweetkev(m): 11:06am On Mar 14, 2017
English Na English, so far the person am talking to understand me grin

1 Like

Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by DCMIX(m): 11:06am On Mar 14, 2017
And this reminds me of Go Down There by 2Baba.

I can't believe it's happening in my own time
Somebody should have told me in time

1 Like

Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by BarakOkenny(m): 11:06am On Mar 14, 2017
I checked on this thread on time, but I didn't comment in time. grin

2 Likes

Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by heryurh(m): 11:07am On Mar 14, 2017

Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by piperson(m): 11:07am On Mar 14, 2017
on time and in time be like

2 Likes

Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by Pavore9: 11:09am On Mar 14, 2017
Adeyeancah:

Oga detective! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by manchester1: 11:09am On Mar 14, 2017
English again causing problem since 1960. French would be beta if France colonize us
Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by Xerox01(m): 11:10am On Mar 14, 2017
yourexcellency:
HOW WILL GRAMMAR END RECESSION?
fool!!! you lack sense

1 Like

Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by Halyma(f): 11:10am On Mar 14, 2017
Thanks.So Educative
Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by promisechild(m): 11:11am On Mar 14, 2017
K
Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by oobinna: 11:12am On Mar 14, 2017
sweetkev:
English Na English, so far the person am talking to understand me grin

I
Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by Enigo: 11:13am On Mar 14, 2017
Thanks
Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by davinero2: 11:13am On Mar 14, 2017
Me na boss grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by Bayou4sure: 11:14am On Mar 14, 2017
English language belike I sabi am well..
Thanks for the information..
Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by trendymarseey(f): 11:14am On Mar 14, 2017
Grammar tinz
Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by tosyne2much(m): 11:15am On Mar 14, 2017
Chimaritoponcho:
if you are a one-minute man,you are "in time" but if you fit last for 2hours,my brother you are "on time"..i dey my house come beat mecheesy
I know say na where dem dey see you be that cheesy
Re: Differences Between "In Time" And "On Time" by BizLifeE: 11:15am On Mar 14, 2017
Thank you for this informative post!

Perfect Money/Payeer here: .com.ng

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Itodo Anthony Samuel Listed Among Top 50 Teachers In The World / Composite Car Produced By University Of Jos Students (Pictures) / What Is The Opposite Of The Word 'Opposite'?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.