Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,759 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite (40795 Views)

Nigerian State Bans Consumption Of Coke, Fanta, Sprite At Its Events / Nigerians Still Drinking Fanta And Sprite After High Court Ruling? - CNN Polls / NAFDAC Appeals Ruling Declaring Fanta, Sprite Poisonous With Vitamin C (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by 360frolic(m): 10:46am On Mar 16, 2017
1. Benzoic acid was first obtained from the resin of trees belonging to the Styrax genus. The fragrant resin smells like vanilla and is sometimes known as gum benzoin. In the present day, benzoic acid is produced in the lab from other chemicals instead of being extracted from gum benzoin.

2. Benzoic acid is a white, crystalline powder with a faint, non-offensive odour.

3. Benzoic acid is used to manufacture a wide variety of products such as perfumes, dyes, topical medications and insect repellents.

4. Benzoic acids are common additives to food, drinks and other products. They are useful chemicals in manufactured products because they kill or inhibit both bacteria and fungi and can act as preservatives.

5. Benzoates are derived from benzoic acid and are more commonly used as food preservatives than the acid. When the chemical reacts with vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in drinks under certain conditions, benzene may be produced. Benzene is a carcinogen. A carcinogen is a substance that is capable of causing cancer.

6. Most people don't need to worry about benzoic acid and benzoates in food, drinks and other sources, since the chemicals are usually present in small amounts. However, for safety sake, you should try as much as possible to reduce your exposure to benzoic acid and benzoates since high levels are potentially dangerous

http://www.newshelm.com/2017/03/benzoic-acid-important-information.html

27 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by Nobody: 10:52am On Mar 16, 2017
Orishirishi Benzoic

Benzoic ko...

Bubuozic acid.

We don hear.

We go dey careful.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by newyorks(m): 10:54am On Mar 16, 2017
jaa bless yu.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by Nobody: 11:03am On Mar 16, 2017
Thank you my brother in chemistry...nice one, please can that snake man move this topic to fp??
Somebody please call him

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by Osasnidas(m): 11:04am On Mar 16, 2017
alright... but from the screenshot below... the ingredients in fanta are sodium benzoate and ascorbic acid which means it is unsafe to drink it since this two things are already present..

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by Beremx(f): 11:28am On Mar 16, 2017
Benzoic acid, Benzine Benzoate.... I love Chemistry. grin

The information has been noted.

Lalasticlala how far?

5 Likes

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by searchng4love: 11:33am On Mar 16, 2017
Thanks OP for the clarification. God bless.

1 Like

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by lonelydora: 11:55am On Mar 16, 2017
Organic chemistry......my best part of chemistry

9 Likes

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by Goldenheart(m): 11:56am On Mar 16, 2017
Still confounded why would anyone consciously take sprite and vitamin C.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by Nobody: 11:57am On Mar 16, 2017
A worthy FP topic at last
Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by slimthugchimee(m): 11:57am On Mar 16, 2017
and on the previous thread nigerians started insulting nafdac without knowing its for their own good, this is thesame thing that happened with MMM, nigerians never hear untill its tok late

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by WebSurfer(m): 11:58am On Mar 16, 2017
angry
Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by Komozua(m): 11:58am On Mar 16, 2017
Thanks for that...
Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by Angelb4: 11:58am On Mar 16, 2017
I will panic when it's present in 33 or Goldberg

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 16, 2017
Beremx:
Benzoic acid, Benzine Benzoate.... I love Chemistry. grin

The information has been noted.

Lalasticlala how far?
hmmm...give me alabukun there.

1 Like

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by StPete: 11:59am On Mar 16, 2017
lonelydora:
Organic chemistry......my best part of chemistry

same as me

2 Likes

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by Crieff(m): 11:59am On Mar 16, 2017
Bottomline: The UK did not see it fit for consumption for her citizenry but here in Nigeria, anything goes. Shame on NAFDAC and NBC. NB should better ramp up Fayrouz production and reduce its price.

10 Likes

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by alphaconde(m): 12:00pm On Mar 16, 2017
360frolic:
1. Benzoic acid was first obtained from the resin of trees belonging to the Styrax genus. The fragrant resin smells like vanilla and is sometimes known as gum benzoin. In the present day, benzoic acid is produced in the lab from other chemicals instead of being extracted from gum benzoin.

2. Benzoic acid is a white, crystalline powder with a faint, non-offensive odour.

3. Benzoic acid is used to manufacture a wide variety of products such as perfumes, dyes, topical medications and insect repellents.

4. Benzoic acids are common additives to food, drinks and other products. They are useful chemicals in manufactured products because they kill or inhibit both bacteria and fungi and can act as preservatives.

5. Benzoates are derived from benzoic acid and are more commonly used as food preservatives than the acid. When the chemical reacts with vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in drinks under certain conditions, benzene may be produced. Benzene is a carcinogen. A carcinogen is a substance that is capable of causing cancer.

6. Most people don't need to worry about benzoic acid and benzoates in food, drinks and other sources, since the chemicals are usually present in small amounts. However, for safety sake, you should try as much as possible to reduce your exposure to benzoic acid and benzoates since high levels are potentially dangerous

http://www.newshelm.com/2017/03/benzoic-acid-important-information.html

Thanks but what I know is that nafdac has failed Nigerians all they do is to burst local and small producers for all worthnot

4 Likes

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by SeniorZato(m): 12:00pm On Mar 16, 2017
All these chemical names will only confuse naira landers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:00pm On Mar 16, 2017
OP thanks. It's informative but is it dangerous in reaction to vitamin C as claimed in the court of law

1 Like

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by Pavore9: 12:00pm On Mar 16, 2017
That is why I keep away from drinking soda as I prefer home juiced fruits.
Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by slimthugchimee(m): 12:01pm On Mar 16, 2017
Crieff:
Bottomline: The UK did not see it fit for consumption for her citizenry but here in Nigeria, anything goes. Shame on NAFDAC and NBC. NB should better ramp up Fayrouz production and reduce its price.

shame to nafdac?

now they have sent an appeal to deem it poisenous, nigerias only started to insult them.

y'll never listen

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by Raintaker(m): 12:01pm On Mar 16, 2017
OAroloye
Cc
Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by nazablossom(f): 12:02pm On Mar 16, 2017
I never liked fanta and sprite.
#teamcoke

1 Like

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by GlorifiedTunde(m): 12:03pm On Mar 16, 2017
I wait to see NAFDAC respond appropriately.

I'll wait to see the charges and respective fines.

It should be sufficient to build a new Nigerian state.

CocaCola bottling coy is kukuma rich.

They have been using style to kill us since without us knowing. angry angry angry angry

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by wellmax(m): 12:03pm On Mar 16, 2017
Thank you.
Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by inositol88(m): 12:03pm On Mar 16, 2017
Nice information OP!!!!!

SOMEBODY SHOULD PLS SERVE THE OP ONE CHILLED BOTTLE OF FANTA AND A PLATE OF ASCORBIC ACID TO GO WITH IT!!!!

OP oya CHOP KNUCKLE, !!!

U remind me of my undergraduate days as a biochemist!!!!

6 Likes

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by wellmax(m): 12:03pm On Mar 16, 2017
Given the fact that the benzoic and ascorbic acid levels in Fanta as well as the benzoic acid level in Sprite produced and sold by NBC in Nigeria are in compliance with the levels approved by all relevant national regulators and the international level set by CODEX, there is no truth in the report that these products would become poisonous if consumed alongside Vitamin C.
Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by goodvision12(m): 12:04pm On Mar 16, 2017
What am i going to do because i am drinking fanta whren i came across this information

6 Likes

Re: Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite by lilybonny(f): 12:04pm On Mar 16, 2017
Thanks for the info OP

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Snake I Killed On My Arrival In The Village / Alomo Bitters Aka Casapreco: Whats The Big Deal? / Food: Whose Place Would You Visit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.