Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,067 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

Rapper Loon Converts To Islam - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Rapper Loon Converts To Islam (5997 Views)

PHOTOS: Michael Jackson’s Sister Recount Regrets As She Converts To Islam / Liz Da Silva Converts To Islam For Baby / Janet Jackson Converts To Islam, Quits Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rapper Loon Converts To Islam by nellaluv(f): 2:58am On Dec 19, 2009
Former Bad Boy artist Loon has made a declaration to change Hip-Hop following his conversion to  orthodox Islam.  
While reports surfaced last year of  Loon’s (now named Amir Junaid Muhadith) conversion, the Harlem rapper recently made a public declaration on Al Jazeera, the sole independent news network stationed in the Middle East.  
“Loon is working his way out of my system,”
Loon stated, while sporting traditional Islam garb. “[I’ m] happy to be accepting Islam, and finding the  peace of mind I was always searching for in the music business. . . Thanks to Islam I was able to complete my search and now I’m very much at peace. Bad Boy days are over, I’m now what you call a good boy.”  
Loon was a staple of the late 90 s, early  millennium Bad Boy roster. The Harlemite was most prominently featured on the hit singles “I  Need a Girl, Part 1  & 2. ” When asked if he will continue to rap, Loon  referenced the importance of being spiritually grounded before making that decision, as the media will be cognizant of any contradictory  actions. “Right now I’m focusing on studying Islam and becoming more knowledgeable of the deen ( Islamic way of life),” Loon explained. “Being in  the position of influence, I have to be able to protect myself. The media sometimes tries to use these transitions that artists make as an  opportunity to make a mockery of Islam, or  whatever faith a person might choose . . . But Allah  knows best, maybe I will [return to rap].”   Acknowledging that mainstream Hip-Hop  currently has a very low spiritual component,  Loon asserts that it is a challenge to all artists who follow religious tenets. “That’s something that all of us artists that have  accepted Islam struggle with, because it’s a very fine line,” Loon said. “With me I really love the  music, but it’s the lifestyle that’s really the bad  influence. The music can be geared towards things that influence people to do positive things. But the actual part that detours people from practicing their faith or concentrating on  positive things is the lifestyle.”

Last year, T-Pain, Akon,  Busta  Rhymes  and  others raised the ire of the Muslim world with  their remix of “Arab Money,” which featured  Qur’anic scripture over music.   This action is considered blasphemy in Islam, and  forced the artists to remove the remix from  rotation. As a potential Islamic artist, Loon is aware of this issue and is considering the safer avenue of spoken word. “The mass audience that we reach as artists are  particularly in the club. So to have people in the  club actually reciting ayahs (verses) or things that pertain to Islam would kind of give the wrong impression,” Loon detailed. “Spoken word  is something I’ve been focusing on. I do have the  lyrical ability to establish a lot of things that  make Islam so beautiful. But it’s very hard to  walk that fine line when you have music in the  background that plays a role as dance rhythm or something that may mislead a person from the  message we’re trying to give.” Loon is the second Harlem rapper, following  former friend Mase, to leave Hip-Hop due to  spiritual enlightenment.   Loon’s last LP was a 2007 joint project with  fellow Bad Boy alum G-Dep, entitled  Bad Boy.

Source: http://allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2009/07/06/21748711.aspx

Re: Rapper Loon Converts To Islam by nellaluv(f): 3:34am On Dec 19, 2009
Former rapper Mr Loon, known now as Amir Junaid Muuhadith after his conversion to Islam, speaks on the evils of hip hop .
“It's a dirty business, it's a grimey business. I think it extracts the soul out of people and it's really just something that doesn't contribute to any type of reward when it comes down to doing things that are pleasing to the one that created the Heavens and the Earth.”
I see!

culled from Lindaikeji
Re: Rapper Loon Converts To Islam by semid4lyfe(m): 8:06pm On Dec 20, 2009
Louis Farrakhan has waved his magic wand again. All these confused black rappers sef.
Re: Rapper Loon Converts To Islam by oboms(m): 8:24pm On Dec 20, 2009
My brother,welcome to my world.Islam is the place to be.
Re: Rapper Loon Converts To Islam by Nobody: 8:55pm On Dec 20, 2009
Threadtstarter, e be like say you just wake up.

This is not news.
Re: Rapper Loon Converts To Islam by nellaluv(f): 9:17pm On Dec 20, 2009
E hen na, i just dey wake, so this is news to me tongue
Re: Rapper Loon Converts To Islam by semid4lyfe(m): 11:11pm On Dec 20, 2009
nellaluv:

E hen na, i just dey wake, so this is news to me tongue

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Mint! Thats my Nella.

(1) (Reply)

The Only Woman Who Married The President Of Two Different Countries / Ghanaian Hip-hop Life Artiste, Castro The Destroyer Drown Dead / Di’ja Vs Seyi Shay, Who Got The Biggest? (must See Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.