Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,405 members, 7,836,636 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom (771 Views)

Despite Military Presence, Over A Million Cows Have Flooded Benue, Ortom Laments / Benue Killings: Army Providing Cover For Armed Herdsmen – Tiv Leaders / Herdsmen In Neighboring Countries Planning To Attack Benue – Ortom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by PMBNG(m): 8:05pm On Mar 16, 2017
BENUE State Governor, Samuel Ortom, has said he ordered for Fulani herdsmen to leave his state because he could no longer fold his arms and watch while they continue killing his people.

Ortom was answering questions from State House correspondents shortly after attending a meeting of the National Economic Council at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

He described the herdsmen as unfriendly to his people, adding that he needed to take the decision because his responsibility as the state governor is to ensure safety of lives.

Ortom said, “I ordered armed herdsmen out of my state. They are not friendly to my people. They kill them and I cannot tolerate that. My job as governor is to provide security for lives and property. I cannot watch seeing people being killed unprovoked. It is not right.

“The only thing my people are living on is farming. When you go to their farmlands and destroy their crop and then when they complain, you kill them. That will never be acceptable. I will not fold my hands to watch this happen.

“I have told the security men to ensure the arrest of all those who have arms. You are aware that through my amnesty programme, I was able to disarm the criminal elements in my society because I believe in the rule of law and due process.

“Without the rule of law, there is no way we can govern. A stronger person will come and take over the affairs of the state from where ever you are. And so, we must abide by the rule of law.”

Ortom said apart from corruption, governments at all levels must be ready to fight impunity which he said is worse than corruption.

“Another thing is impunity, it is worse than corruption. So, why we are fighting corruption, we must also fight impunity. This is not right.

“Those armed herdsmen, are they above the law? So, the security men must track and arrest them and prosecute them according to the law.

“I have told my people that as farmers, they have no business carrying arms. And so, I will protect them as long as I am governor is my state,” he added.

The governor added that since the arms with the herdsmen were not licensed, they must be apprehended.

http://www.socialtimesng.net/2017/03/why-i-expelled-armed-herdsmen-from-benue-ortom/
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by Flexherbal(m): 8:05pm On Mar 16, 2017
It has gotten, there!
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by yudee233: 8:07pm On Mar 16, 2017
A new dawn
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by PMBNG(m): 8:07pm On Mar 16, 2017
Orton good morning sir
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by REDshouse(m): 8:12pm On Mar 16, 2017
Conflicting report here herdsmen or armed herdsmen how will d govt identify them
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by Escalze(m): 8:12pm On Mar 16, 2017
ok
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by Nobody: 8:13pm On Mar 16, 2017
Did he say all herdsmen or all armed herdsmen?
Bravo if it's the formal, a fool he is if it's the later.
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by Davash222(m): 8:14pm On Mar 16, 2017
PMBNG:
Orton good morning sir
Don't mind him, and he's even explaining.

1 Like

Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by greatgod2012(f): 8:14pm On Mar 16, 2017
"Ortom said, “I ordered armed herdsmen out of my state. They are notfriendly to my people. They kill them and I cannot tolerate that. My job as governor is to provide security for livesand property. I cannot watch seeing people being killed unprovoked. It is not right"

Mallam El-Rufai need to read the above qoute from Orton!
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by BiafraBushBoy(m): 8:15pm On Mar 16, 2017
This man is a weakling !!!

Pvssy ass old man!!
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by Emycord: 8:18pm On Mar 16, 2017
They will soon commence to license them, but before then even if they are licensed are they licensed to kill?
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by Emycord: 8:21pm On Mar 16, 2017
Is this man no longer apc? Is he no longer "one north"
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by Karlman: 8:36pm On Mar 16, 2017
...paper tiger...until every state gov arm a vigilante groug to track and kill every armed fulani herdsmen the animals wil continue to kil at wil
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by SalamRushdie: 8:40pm On Mar 16, 2017
Is this man a clown ..How did he order the most out? So he means he could order them out just by proclamation and he failed to do so all these years allowing Fulanis to kill thousands in Benue
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by Ojiofor: 8:46pm On Mar 16, 2017
Why did you have to wait for so long before you act?
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by cleatoris: 10:05pm On Mar 16, 2017
maria43:
Did he say all herdsmen or all armed herdsmen?
Bravo if it's the formal, a fool he is if it's the later.
It's the latter. The guy is a scared weakling.

This measure will not solve the least of the Fulani menace. Who's even gonna enforce the so-called order when the entire state is already under seige?

3 Likes

Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by BankeSmalls(f): 10:08pm On Mar 16, 2017
He ordered them out by mouth action grin

Clown of a governor.

1 Like

Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by BankeSmalls(f): 10:09pm On Mar 16, 2017
cleatoris:

It's the latter. The guy is a scared weakling.

This measure will not solve the least of the Fulani menace. Who's even gonna enforce the so-called order when the entire state is already under seige?

Did he also order the fulani dominated police to obey the order and cooperate?
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by Idomapikin: 10:11pm On Mar 16, 2017
He only expelled them out of tiv land but want them to graze in Agatu land. God will soon expose you Mr governor.
Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by cleatoris: 10:13pm On Mar 16, 2017
REDshouse:
Conflicting report here herdsmen or armed herdsmen how will d govt identify them
When a government loses control of it's real power and territory (as in the case of Benue in the hands of Fulani terror), they come up with vague and ambiguous declarations, policies that they don't intend to implement.

This is just a way of reminding the people that they still have a governor. Nothing more.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Expelled Armed Herdsmen From Benue – Ortom by Idomapikin: 10:16pm On Mar 16, 2017
Emycord:
Is this man no longer apc? Is he no longer "one north"
. Forget about one sided governor.

(1) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Graduated From ABU, Full Stop: Ndume / Most Of Those EFCC Arrested Under Obasanjo Were PDP Members – Ribadu / I Am Disappointed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.