Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,051 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Ayade: Celebrating An Uncommon Achiever - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ayade: Celebrating An Uncommon Achiever (377 Views)

Governor Ayade Presents N1.3trn Budget For 2018 / Governor Ayade Cries In His Office Over The Condition Of Refugees. Photos / Governor Ayade's Wife, Linda Drives Him To Construction Site. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ayade: Celebrating An Uncommon Achiever by offiong187: 12:45pm On Mar 17, 2017
The thunderous applause from the crowd as well as accolades from elder statesmen and distinguished personalities at the 2016 Vanguard Personality Award were but a statement of support and acknowledgment of the befitting honour of Vanguard Governor of the Year Award to Cross River State governor, Prof. Ben Ayade. Peace Obi who was at the event, reports

The Convention Centre of the Eko Hotels and Suits, Victoria Island, Lagos, venue of the Vanguard Personality of the Year Awards 2016 which held over the weekend was filled to the brim with captains of industries, distinguished personalities and some top notch in the media industry. The hall which had its sitting capacity overstretched, saw a throng of supporters, admirers and observers that seem to suggest that Vanguard Board was not alone in the acknowledgement of the exceptional achievements of its 2016 Frontliners, but that it enjoys the people’s backing.

In his remarks, the Publisher/Chairman, Uncle Sam Amuka, hinted that the Vanguard Personality Awards was instituted four years ago to celebrate exceptional achievers in the country. And that it recognises those who through hard work have left indelible marks of excellence in the society in the preceding year. Adding that though “2016 was arguably a challenging year in Nigeria with the economic recession and security challenges. However, a few persons saw opportunities for growth and advancement in the midst of these challenges and emerged stronger.” According to him, these highly motivated individuals have shone through challenging times and have gone beyond their call of duties for the sake of service.

The 2016 edition, tagged ‘The Frontliners’ which marks the fifth edition of the Vanguard Personality Awards had 14 distinguished Nigerians recognised and honoured for their remarkable achievements in various fields. The flagship award, ‘Vanguard Personality of the Year’ which went to the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr. Godwin Emefiele was said to be in recognition of his unwavering focus on ensuring economic growth amidst present economic challenges. Other categories of the awards include the Vanguard Businessman of the Year, Banker of the Year, Governor of the Year and Lifetime Achievement Award. The Vanguard Governor of the Year, 2016 went to four governors – Anambra, Mr. Willie Obiano; Cross River, Prof. Ben Ayade; Kebbi, Abubakar Bagudu and Lagos, Mr. Akinwumi Ambode. For the awardees, considered as the shining examples of good leadership, innovative approach to development, they were said to have adopted unique governance template worth emulating.

And on the ground to commend these icons of good governance and leadership with a difference, were some very distinguished personalities in Nigeria such as the former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon (rtd); former Secretary General, Commonwealth, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, Alhaji Isa Funtua, among others. Commendations flowed in from respected voices. Supporters including some troupes rolled out their drums to celebrate and sheer the achievers. Although not with any praise-singing group, the call up to podium of Governor of Cross River State, Prof. Ben Ayade left the hall with a deafening applause. Described by many as a silent worker, a promising politician, a resourceful person, a promise keeper, a rare occurrence of an intellectual in politics, among others showed a man whose leadership quality has won him the heart of his people, nay Nigerians.

In his remarks, Gowon urged other governors to emulate what he described as the welfarist policy of governor Ayade. According to him, “I say well done to Governor Ayade and I want all other governors to follow his example by taking care of their civil servants because civil servants are the custodians of any good work any governor or even president is doing.”

Stressing the need for governors to pay attention to workers’ welfare, the former Head of State said, “It was because I paid attention to civil servants, and in return, they helped me implement my policies as Head of State. For Ayade, I say well done to him and I want others to follow his example not only by paying attention to the civil servants but the welfare and wellbeing of their people. Let the people be the ones to say thank you Mr. Governor. The gratitude of your people is the greatest thing you have,” he said.

Also commending the governor uncommon feat within a short period of time, Anyaoku declared that “Governor Ayade is clearly one of the best performing governors in Nigeria today. He has kept faith by paying salaries regularly to workers. I am glad to see that he was recognised by Vanguard Newspapers for the award. I will want to encourage all the governors to emulate him and pay greater attention to the management of the resources in their states and to set the right priorities by developing infrastructure, welfare of their workforce and development of greater capacity for their internally generated revenues. They should also pay attention to agriculture,” Anyaoku said.

And describing it as an unusual characterisation for the combination of academics and politics and emerging with astounding results, the former South West Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Bode Geroge, said that “Ayade is a typical intellectual who works and knows at the back of his mind way back while he was a senator that the centrepiece of politics is the people ‎and I am so happy that he has portrayed that.”

Stating that Ayade is a kind of leader Nigeria needs at the national level, George disclosed that the governor’s achievements so far, is just but the beginning of the greater results to be delivered by the PDP governor. And that the party is very proud of the governor whom he said is a silent worker and a very loyal party member. “He is unique and very resourceful. With what he is doing like what you have heard other people say about him, he will take Cross River to greater heights. And with meager resources, he has not failed to pay salaries. We must go and find out what methodology he is using. This is the kind of people required at by the country at the national level. He is a silent worker, a very committed and loyal party member. We (PDP) are extremely proud of him as a member of our party. This is the only PDP governor awardee tonight. I want to thank the people of Cross River for giving him the opportunity to be able to do his work,” he said.

Speaking also, the former National Chairman of PDP, Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, said he was proud of Ayade for making the party proud. ‎”When Ayade wanted to run as governor, I told him that ‘you know I am from Cross River, so I am looking forward to seeing the best in you in the interest of those who elected you’ and there is no doubt that he is making me proud. I was in Calabar a week ago and from what I saw regarding the infrastructure and the report I got, I am satisfied. I’m the father of all of them. Ayade should continue the good work he is doing,” he said.

In his remarks earlier, the Chairman of the occasion and former governor of Cross River State, Mr. Donald Duke said, “Governor Benedict Ayade left no one in doubt that by the time he is through with Cross River, Cross River will never remain the same. He has defined an agenda that left every Cross Riverian breathless. He is not satisfied with where the state is at the moment and he is determined to take it ‎to greater heights and make it an iconic state in the comity of states in Nigeria.”

And presenting the award to Ayade amidst the largest entourage on the podium, Senator Florence Ita-Giwa said that the thunderous applause by Nigerians from different parts of the country when the governor was called out to receive the award was a sign of acceptability of a man who is well appreciated and loved by his people.

In his acceptance speech, Ayade who expressed his gratitude to the organisers said that though the award was a recognition of his effort at repositioning Cross River State, “it does not make much meaning to me, especially when my people are still wallowing in lack and want. How can I receive an award when my people of Bakassi are homeless in their own country? How can I receive an award when my people of Bakassi are stateless in their own country? This is why I will know no rest until they are accorded the dignity they deserve as a people. However, I receive this award with the singular fact that it is a further call for me to sit up and do more,” Ayade said.

(1) (Reply)

#todayinplenary *proceedings Of The Nigerian Senate Of Tuesday 21st March 2017* / Buhari Condemns Fake Certificates, Exam Fraud / Lawmakers Laud Lekki Free Trade Zone Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.