Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD (5998 Views)

My Argument For God's Existence / There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe / A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 4:27pm On Mar 17, 2017
akintom:

I do know that you don't have sight impairment, didn't you see that i quoted the verse?

Am asking you, how does folks running upandan with increased proliferation of knowledge (churches on every street) about god, synonymous with ICT?

The Bible says knowledge will increase in the end times, and not just knowledge about GOD. Stop constructing strawman arguments.
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by jchioma: 4:27pm On Mar 17, 2017
Wilgrea7:

then what is the bible to you if i may ask?
and what would you classify as “word of God"

[/quote] The bible is not the WORD OF GOD. And if we believe it as such, then we have made the bible into an idol. Our elevation of the bible to almost divine status has seemingly resulted in the Church believing it is to be the moral authority over the world – as though
they speak for God. We have equated the language of the bible with the Words of God.

This has seemingly resulted in the bible being used as a weapon of power to oppress others. Incredibly, the Church’s
oppression has not been limited to the secular world, but has even been used as a weapon to oppress its
own people.

The bible is a book. Just like any other book it contains words, propositions, stories, ideologies,
and philosophies. But it contains something that is far greater than any other book that has ever been
written. It contains testimonies. But not just any testimony. It contains testimonies about God – not
just about any God, but the living God. It contains a testimonies about who God is, and who man is; and
who man is in light of his discovery of God. (Eric English).[/quote]

This testimonies are not limited to the Bible, as there are thousands of texts, cuneiform and other evidences that point to God beyond the scope of Bible understanding.
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by Wilgrea7(m): 5:20pm On Mar 17, 2017
jchioma:

The bible is not the WORD OF GOD. And if we believe it as such, then we have made the bible into an idol. Our elevation of the bible to almost divine status has seemingly resulted in the Church believing it is to be the moral authority over the world – as though
they speak for God. We have equated the language of the bible with the Words of God.

This has seemingly resulted in the bible being used as a weapon of power to oppress others. Incredibly, the Church’s
oppression has not been limited to the secular world, but has even been used as a weapon to oppress its
own people.

The bible is a book. Just like any other book it contains words, propositions, stories, ideologies,
and philosophies. But it contains something that is far greater than any other book that has ever been
written. It contains testimonies. But not just any testimony. It contains testimonies about God – not
just about any God, but the living God. It contains a testimonies about who God is, and who man is; and
who man is in light of his discovery of God. (Eric English).

This testimonies are not limited to the Bible, as there are thousands of texts, cuneiform and other evidences that point to God beyond the scope of Bible understanding.

some Christians won't go with your view... what other “texts" point to God beyond the scope of bible understand... can you list a few??
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by akintom(m): 5:26pm On Mar 17, 2017
DoctorAlien:

The Bible says knowledge will increase in the end times, and not just knowledge about GOD. Stop constructing strawman arguments.
Are you saying increase in knowledge (according to your Bible) = ICT?
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by jchioma: 6:57pm On Mar 17, 2017
Wilgrea7:

some Christians won't go with your view... what other “texts" point to God beyond the scope of bible understand... can you list a few??

It's deep. The definitions and ideas about God in the Judaeo-Christian tradition were heavily
influenced by classical Greek philosophy.

"The Greeks were fascinated by the idea of some kind of existence that underlay all individuals.
One idea proposed that all things shared some common element, a universal material providing
the stuff of which all things are made. Another idea proposed a being or principle that inhabited
some form of heavenly realm. Plato proposed his idea of an ultimate reality through his theory of
the Forms. He suggested a supreme good that existed beyond all other ordinary beings.

The Platonic idea of a highest principle which was utter perfection strongly influenced Jewish and
early Christian discussions of God. Additionally, Aristotle suggested his supreme being to be an
unchanging form that is also a first mover. Aristotle’s first mover is a simple, unchanging form that
still causally affects other beings: in Aristotle’s case all movement in the universe was as a result
of the prime mover. It was through a desire to reach the perfection of this being movement was
caused; all material things were drawn toward the prime mover."
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by jchioma: 7:02pm On Mar 17, 2017
jchioma:

It's deep. The definitions and ideas about God in the Judaeo-Christian tradition were heavily
influenced by classical Greek philosophy.

"The Greeks were fascinated by the idea of some kind of existence that underlay all individuals.
One idea proposed that all things shared some common element, a universal material providing
the stuff of which all things are made. Another idea proposed a being or principle that inhabited
some form of heavenly realm. Plato proposed his idea of an ultimate reality through his theory of
the Forms. He suggested a supreme good that existed beyond all other ordinary beings.

The Platonic idea of a highest principle which was utter perfection strongly influenced Jewish and
early Christian discussions of God. Additionally, Aristotle suggested his supreme being to be an
unchanging form that is also a first mover. Aristotle’s first mover is a simple, unchanging form that
still causally affects other beings: in Aristotle’s case all movement in the universe was as a result
of the prime mover. It was through a desire to reach the perfection of this being movement was
caused; all material things were drawn toward the prime mover."

The idea of a simple God developed from the idea that God exists eternally. In Judaeo-Christian
philosophy the concept of God being eternal can have two senses.

Firstly, eternal can refer to God existing outside of time and is referred to as God being timeless.
Secondly eternal can also refer to God having no beginning and no end, but time does pass for
God or that God is everlasting. The Christian belief that God is eternal (timeless) was strongly
influenced by the philosophy of Boethius. Boethius argued that God is changeless and does not
exist in time. Boethius argued that God’s life is limitless and that God possesses the whole of his/her
life eternally without end. For God there is no past, present and future. Instead, God exists eternally
and all of time is present to God ‘simultaneously’. Boethius argues that God sees everything in
‘one glance’.
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by Wilgrea7(m): 7:24pm On Mar 17, 2017
jchioma:

gr."

its deep indeed... its funny how people with views such as yours are never known on nairaland... so to my first question....

what book/testimonies talk about God outside the bible
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by Wilgrea7(m): 7:40pm On Mar 17, 2017
jchioma:

The idea of a simple God developed from the idea that God exists eternally. In Judaeo-Christian
philosophy the concept of God being eternal can have two senses.

Firstly, eternal can refer to God existing outside of time and is referred to as God being timeless.
Secondly eternal can also refer to God having no beginning and no end, but time does pass for
God or that God is everlasting. The Christian belief that God is eternal (timeless) was strongly
influenced by the philosophy of Boethius. Boethius argued that God is changeless and does not
exist in time. Boethius argued that God’s life is limitless and that God possesses the whole of his/her
life eternally without end. For God there is no past, present and future. Instead, God exists eternally
and all of time is present to God ‘simultaneously’. Boethius argues that God sees everything in
‘one glance’.

this is interesting

the two positions seem to be relative... because if God exists outside time, then he can't have a beginning... because a beginning signifies time... and God is simply beyond it

1 Like

Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by MrMontella(m): 10:53pm On Mar 17, 2017
Niflheim:
The Koran is always true!!!(According to Muslims)

The Koran says that Allah exists!!!(According to Muslims)

Therefore, Allah exists!!!(According to Muslims)

@Doctor alien,

Is this what you were trying to say? Therefore Jehovah and allah must both simultaneously exist in this universe, one impregnating virgins(that belong to his servants), while the other preparing virgins(like 72 or so) for his servants!!!
exactly. best reply

1 Like

Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 12:06am On Mar 18, 2017
MrMontella:

exactly. best reply

You can actually try to disprove my argument. Prove the Bible false. Don't produce red herrings. But I know that you hate anything that puts the burden of proof upon you.
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by dungas30(m): 4:46am On Mar 18, 2017
Pastafarian:

Professor David Sperling and Rabbi David Wolpe to name a few
WHO IS UR MENTOR, A PROFESSOR OR THE WORD ITSELF, DO NOT LAY UR TRUST IN MERE HUMAN THOUGHT. COZ THAT WILL BE THE BEGINNING OF UR JOURNEY TO DOOM
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by dungas30(m): 4:48am On Mar 18, 2017
jchioma:
The case for the existence of God goes beyond the Bible as written 'word of God'. I doubt if you even know the god of which you speak. The bible is not the WORD OF GOD.
WRITE UPS WITH REASONS TO SUPPORT UR ARGUMENT
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by Pastafarian: 9:28am On Mar 18, 2017
dungas30:
WHO IS UR MENTOR, A PROFESSOR OR THE WORD ITSELF, DO NOT LAY UR TRUST IN MERE HUMAN THOUGHT. COZ THAT WILL BE THE BEGINNING OF UR JOURNEY TO DOOM

I'm an atheist
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by MrMontella(m): 12:46pm On Mar 18, 2017
DoctorAlien:

You can actually try to disprove my argument. Prove the Bible false. Don't produce red herrings. But I know that you hate anything that puts the burden of proof upon you.
I cannot redo what you know I've done a thousand times bro
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 1:07pm On Mar 18, 2017
MrMontella:
I cannot redo what you know I've done a thousand times bro
When and where did you prove the Bible false?
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 11:18am On Mar 20, 2017
Have the atheists no proof of their claim that the Bible is not always true?
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by benzics(m): 1:10pm On Mar 20, 2017
DoctorAlien:

Premise 1: The bible is always true.

FALSE!

Joshua 10: 12-13

On the day the LORD gave the Amorites over to Israel, Joshua said to the LORD in the presence of Israel: "Sun, stand still over Gibeon, and you, moon, over the Valley of Aijalon."

So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, till the nation avenged itself on its enemies, as it is written in the Book of Jashar. The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day.

One would expect that God being all knowing would at least know the sun is always still, and that it's the earth that revolves , unless God is also a flat earther grin .. The stupid is strong

“Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, `Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ it will happen. “And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.” (Matthew 21:21-22 NAS)

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. (Matthew 7:7-8 NAB)

Why is it that Christians ask for things and they don't get it? Oh, "they don't have enough faith" (what amount of faith would be required to be just like a mustard seed undecided ) and "God knows best".. Yeah right, sounds like bullshit to me

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by obinna58(m): 3:19pm On Mar 20, 2017
DoctorAlien:
ARGUMENT FROM THE BIBLE

Premise 1: The Bible is always true.

Premise 2: The Bible states that GOD exists.

Conclusion: Therefore GOD exists.

What made u think bible wasn't human made
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 3:56pm On Mar 20, 2017
benzics, below is an exposition by Dr. Claude Mariottini.

In Hebrew, the word translated “stand still” literally means “be silent.” In this context, Joshua was commanding the sun “to be silent,” that is, to keep from shining. Since the sun was rising in the east, his command to the sun was that it refrains from shining.

When Joshua came to fight against the Amorites, he came at night and caught them by surprise. Joshua was aided by the darkness caused by a huge storm that produced hail so big that it killed many people. In fact, the biblical text says that more people died from the hailstones than the people of Israel killed with the sword.

Since the hailstorm did not affect the army of Israel, Joshua needed the storm to last so that the hail could continue decimating the army of the Amorites. Consequently, Joshua’s prayer was for more darkness (the continuation of the storm) and not for more light. The reason Joshua’s army did not kill many soldiers was because the storm prevailed most of that day.
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 3:58pm On Mar 20, 2017
The view that Joshua prayed for more darkness is in agreement with the biblical text because the sun stood still (was silent, did not shine) for a whole day. This view also allows for a better understanding of the text without forcing upon it an interpretation that would require the reversal of the laws of physics.
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 4:01pm On Mar 20, 2017
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 4:05pm On Mar 20, 2017
benzics:
Why is it that Christians ask for things and they don't get it?

"Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." James 4:3
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 4:15pm On Mar 20, 2017
obinna58:
What made u think bible wasn't human made

The Bible is yet to be equaled by any human work. The glorious light of its divine Wisdom continues to confound even men of understanding.
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by benzics(m): 4:49pm On Mar 20, 2017
DoctorAlien:

"Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." James 4:3
So asking for your loving mother to be cured of cancer is satisfying your lust? You never stop surprising us..
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by benzics(m): 4:52pm On Mar 20, 2017
DoctorAlien:
benzics, below is an exposition by Dr. Claude Mariottini.

In Hebrew, the word translated “stand still” literally means “be silent.” In this context, Joshua was commanding the sun “to be silent,” that is, to keep from shining. Since the sun was rising in the east, his command to the sun was that it refrains from shining.

When Joshua came to fight against the Amorites, he came at night and caught them by surprise. Joshua was aided by the darkness caused by a huge storm that produced hail so big that it killed many people. In fact, the biblical text says that more people died from the hailstones than the people of Israel killed with the sword.

Since the hailstorm did not affect the army of Israel, Joshua needed the storm to last so that the hail could continue decimating the army of the Amorites. Consequently, Joshua’s prayer was for more darkness (the continuation of the storm) and not for more light. The reason Joshua’s army did not kill many soldiers was because the storm prevailed most of that day.
Damn! Another remodification of the biblical context by some Apologist.

Do you know what will happen if the sun should stop shining? What baffles me most is you believe that shit happened!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 5:13pm On Mar 20, 2017
benzics:

So asking for your loving mother to be cured of cancer is satisfying your lust? You never stop surprising us..

GOD answers prayers only when the conditions are met by the one praying. And then, He answers only as He dims fit. He might decide to let cancer take His child out of this wicked, sin-cursed world for the best reasons best known to Him, knowing that such a person would rise in his/her immortal body on that glorious resurrection morning to suffer diseases no more.
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 5:23pm On Mar 20, 2017
benzics:

Do you know what will happen if the sun should stop shining? What baffles me most is you believe that shit happened!

What will happen?

I believe you can read and I believe you have a functional brain. Reread that exposition; this time slowly.
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by Pastafarian: 5:33pm On Mar 20, 2017
benzics:

Hehehehehehehehe
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by randomperson: 6:48pm On Mar 20, 2017
Don't have too much time on my hands so will just drop this contradiction from the bible...

GE 10:5, 20, 31 There were many languages before the Tower of Babel.

GE 11:1 There was only one language before the Tower of Babel.

GE 15:13, ACT 7:6 The sojourn in Egypt lasted 400 years

EX 12:40 430 years

2SA 24:1 The Lord inspired David to take the census.

1CH 21:1 Satan inspired the census
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by Pastafarian: 6:52pm On Mar 20, 2017
randomperson:
Don't have too much time on my hands so will just drop this contradiction from the bible...

GE 10:5, 20, 31 There were many languages before the Tower of Babel.

GE 11:1 There was only one language before the Tower of Babel.

GE 15:13, ACT 7:6 The sojourn in Egypt lasted 400 years

EX 12:40 430 years

2SA 24:1 The Lord inspired David to take the census.

1CH 21:1 Satan inspired the census

you need the holy spirit

1 Like

Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by Nobody: 7:39pm On Mar 20, 2017
Pastafarian:

you need the holy spirit
Lolllllll
Re: The Best Argument For The Existence Of GOD by benzics(m): 8:21pm On Mar 20, 2017
DoctorAlien:

GOD answers prayers only when the conditions are met by the one praying. And then, He answers only as He dims fit. He might decide to let cancer take His child out of this wicked, sin-cursed world for the best reasons best known to Him, knowing that such a person would rise in his/her immortal body on that glorious resurrection morning to suffer diseases no more.
You are basically saying God doesn't exist, since you seem to know how he behaves.

I might as well create a God who provides rain, and then I tell people to pray for rain, if they eventually see rain, "all glory be to the God of rain", if they don't, "the God of rain answers when he deems fit"... And there you go, I've completely deceived people to believe in the imaginary God I created!

Jesus didn't say "ask, and if I like it, I'll give", he rather said "ask and you will receive"... Stop modifying your" infallible" book

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rape In The Bible / How Can I Help God Fulfill His Promises? / Disbelief In God.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.