Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,836 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

Way Forward - Nigerians? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Way Forward - Nigerians? (355 Views)

Northern Groups Plot A Way Forward At The Annual Arewa Youth Leadership Summit / The Way Forward Nigerians / Security Challenges In Nigeria And The Way Forward. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Way Forward - Nigerians? by Appswheel(m): 11:24pm On Mar 17, 2017
The lioness sights the excited cub and wondered where he wandered to, she queried, “Where have you been and what gets you so excited?”. “Mum, I wandered to the plains; I had fun playing with my new friend”. Looking at the cub with tender eyes, the curious lioness asked, “New friend…, tell me about your new friend”. “It’s a kid (baby goat) mum”. “Oh mine! That’s game! You can’t be friends with a kid, you ate goat meat for dinner last night, the next time you are out to the plains, kill the kid and let us feast”.

One day, the cub was back to the plains and sighted the kid from afar. Sighting the cub, the kid retreated and had a flash back to their first meeting and his mother’s advise.

“Mum, I have a new playmate”. “Really, tell me about your new mate”. “It’s a cub…” she hardly let him complete the statement…. “My goodness! Where did you meet a cub, next time you meet one, Run! Run!!! Run for your dear life, they are not our friends, they will never be”.

Looking in the direction of the cub, the kid announced, “Do not come any close, I am not in the mood to play”. He continued, “My mother told me what your mother told you”.

I listened to the story at a restaurant earlier this week. A man narrated it to his friends over a plate of pepper soup while trying to make a point. I found the story absorbing and interesting.

It dawned on me that Nigeria, a country made up of many tribes and ethnic groups mirror the cub and kid. We have listened to different accounts from our “mothers” and allowed these stories tear us apart. Stories of how yorubas are not reliable. Stories of how Igbos are arrogant, proud and don’t like to pay their rents. Stories of how Hausas are the problem of this country……

Maybe there are elements of fact in these stories. However, having spent many years interacting with Nigerians from different ethnic groups, I can safely say that there is strength and beauty in our diversity. We cannot continue to stereotype ourselves; it creates a fertile ground for division, hatred and distrust.

Visionless and looting leaders are the beneficiaries of our lingering gullibility. The day we unite as citizens and demand for good leadership, Nigeria will get out of the woods.

Nigerians Unite!

God Bless Nigeria. God bless you.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

President Buhari And His Letter Writers / Why Govs Paid Consultants N19bn From Paris-london Clubs Refunds / The Real Problem With Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.