Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,585 members, 7,827,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

Polygamy Is Not A Sin In Christianity - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Polygamy Is Not A Sin In Christianity (4435 Views)

Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? / Can You Live Above Sin In This Present World? / Polygamy Is Not Sinful! A Biblical Defense (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Polygamy Is Not A Sin In Christianity by cooljude(m): 7:46am On Mar 21, 2017
delishpot:
Neither was slavery or slave ownership. OP I will come and pack you and ya family to be my slaves and I will still make heaven. Even If I hit you and you die one or two days later, I am not going to be held accountable. God said so in the Bible

“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be punished; for the slave is his money.”
—Exodus 21:20-21 (RSV)

Does that mean we should own slaves? After all many men n the Bible owned slaves and God did not complain.
Last time I checked Jesus spoke against men marrying and divorcing wives . He said For made one eve for one Adam. But, he never spoke one word against slave masters. Making slavery more accepted than men marrying up and down.
Truth tho is that men would find ways to twist and sellect portions of bible that suits their flesly desires. OP has decided to pick his favourite portions. For some it would be the portion where Paul said a little alcohol for the stomach sake, for some it is the tithes paying part. For some it is the submission part. All ma can disect, remove and keep the portion that calms their conscience to make them feel better.

I know you might find this post highly offensive/disgusting but it is what it is, the plain truth and most times it hits us harder than a brick. I am a product of a simple family and I would love to have a simple family but I would never condemn anybody who chooses a polygamous marriage, so far he and his wife/wives are in agreement. I know you might feel this is a total BS and unfair to the women folk, remember that most religion never proposed gender equality.

1 Like

Re: Polygamy Is Not A Sin In Christianity by delishpot: 9:44am On Mar 21, 2017
cooljude:

I know you might find this post highly offensive/disgusting but it is what it is, the plain truth and most times it hits us harder than a brick. I am a product of a simple family and I would love to have a simple family but I would never condemn anybody who chooses a polygamous marriage, so far he and his wife/wives are in agreement. I know you might feel this is a total BS and unfair to the women folk, remember that most religion never proposed gender equality.

Same with my observation. You may not want to be my slave, people may find it unfair if you and your family became my slaves, but it deosnt mean it is wrong. Inshort, it is encouraged to take slaves by force, sleep with the virgins etc. It was even more acceptable than marrying many wives. At least jesus spoke againt the men and multiple divorces in their thiest to put away the old wives and take new ones.But he never said slavery was a sin. In this world, if it is only by both parties agreeing, many things would be considered good and acceptable. Hardly would you see a wife that would look at her home, it is happy and full of love and she will call her man to go bring in another wife. It happens only when one partner is feeling pressure from a lack or dissatisfaction. So that excuse doesnt cut it. If you believe GOD Is behing your life activicties, why then try to play God by looking for solution from another angle? Why not carry your cross just as God has designed it?
There were cases of willing slaves who agree to be slaves to other people. If you see a man keep a slave because the slave willingly presented himself to be owned, will you not judge the slave master? Would you not say why did he not help the desperate man and let him keep his freedom? Even tho before God, the slave master is not a sinner nor a criminal.He did justice as far as God is concerned according to the bible.
Re: Polygamy Is Not A Sin In Christianity by cooljude(m): 9:21pm On Mar 21, 2017
delishpot:

Same with my observation. You may not want to be my slave, people may find it unfair if you and your family became my slaves, but it deosnt mean it is wrong. Inshort, it is encouraged to take slaves by force, sleep with the virgins etc. It was even more acceptable than marrying many wives. At least jesus spoke againt the men and multiple divorces in their thiest to put away the old wives and take new ones.But he never said slavery was a sin. In this world, if it is only by both parties agreeing, many things would be considered good and acceptable. Hardly would you see a wife that would look at her home, it is happy and full of love and she will call her man to go bring in another wife. It happens only when one partner is feeling pressure from a lack or dissatisfaction. So that excuse doesnt cut it. If you believe GOD Is behing your life activicties, why then try to play God by looking for solution from another angle? Why not carry your cross just as God has designed it?
There were cases of willing slaves who agree to be slaves to other people. If you see a man keep a slave because the slave willingly presented himself to be owned, will you not judge the slave master? Would you not say why did he not help the desperate man and let him keep his freedom? Even tho before God, the slave master is not a sinner nor a criminal.He did justice as far as God is concerned according to the bible.

You are too bitter and not intelligent enough to bring up a sound argument. Your analogy doesn't correlate in any way with our argument. As for your personal attacks, It is a rubbish example aimed at making me irrational and emotional with my response to you in other to draw me down to your level of reasoning. I see past that and I won't respond with an insult.
Re: Polygamy Is Not A Sin In Christianity by Ken4Christ: 11:08pm On Mar 21, 2017
Yes, I agree that there is no Scripture that outrightly condemns polygamy but it is not a good culture for the New Creation.

Apostle Paul said,

1st Corinthians 10:23.
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

There are certain things that are not sinful by law but they are not important.

If a Bishop is advised to stick to one wife, what makes the man who is not yet a Bishop think that God may not call him into the office of a Bishop one day.

Most people receive their calling after some years in the Christian faith. If they get married to more than one wife before they are called, it will sure ruin their chances to serve as a Bishop in later years.

Again, if the majority of young people decide to go polygamy, that means the numbers of Bishops will be relatively few and many lost souls will have a very slim chance of hearing the gospel.

If we are emboldened to practice polygamy based on your expositions, the next question that will readily come to mind is how many wives can you marry.

What about the feelings of the women in question. How many women really want to share their husbands with another man? The few that do it do so out of frustration. Quite a few others do it for financial gains.

So, in as much as there is no Scripture forbidden it, it should not be encouraged. It creates more problems than solution. The men just want to satisfy their sexual appetite.

If you also use the same rule of judgment, there is no Scripture that condemns one having a concubine. It was permissible under the Old Testament. But we know it cannot fit into the lifestyle of the new creation.

It is therefore not a good culture for believers to practice polygamy.
Re: Polygamy Is Not A Sin In Christianity by Nobody: 11:44pm On Mar 21, 2017
A pastor once told me.

" There are many truths we pastors know that you cant preach on the Pulpit and one is polygamy. Polygamy is not a sin"

The truth is when the white brot Christianity they brot their culture with it and one of is monogamy.

Preach polygamy today and ppl will be ready to cast the demon in you out.

They will say its heresy.

In the issue of Paul to Timothy
Imaging a teacher standing infront of tge class and say who ever wants to be a prefect in this class must always tuck in his shirt.

What it means is every other person that doesnt want to be a prefect can loose their shirts.

Polygamy is never a sin. it is the culture of the missionaries that brot Christianity.
Re: Polygamy Is Not A Sin In Christianity by delishpot: 11:44pm On Mar 21, 2017
cooljude:

You are too bitter and not intelligent enough to bring up a sound argument. Your analogy doesn't correlate in any way with our argument. As for your personal attacks, It is a rubbish example aimed at making me irrational and emotional with my response to you in other to draw me down to your level of reasoning. I see past that and I won't respond with an insult.

Your heart is set.You see only what you want to see. Why accept many wives but deny owning slaves? Hypocrite much? The bible is not a bend down sellect market.
Polygamy is not a sin same as owning slaves is not a sin. Lets practice both.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atheistic Nuisance, Barcelona And Chelsea / Talisman To Win Lottery, Gambling, Betting, Football Pools And Lotto / How Do We Know Christianity Is True And We Are Not Deceived?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.