Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,154 members, 7,811,315 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:02 AM

The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. (7814 Views)

The Origin Of Urhobo People / White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently / Trio Kingdoms Of Ijebu Owo And Bini (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by donogaga(m): 10:52am On Mar 19, 2017
Recently, we saw how some enemies of Urhobo nation have worked in vain to destroy the unity of the Urhobo united Kingdom UK.

We hear some say Olomu kingdom is Ijaw from Mein kingdom and others say the Okpe kingdom is not Urhobo.

Why do you sow the seed of discord amongst men of the same household?

To settle this case,we have taken it as a duty to publish the names of the twenty-four kingdoms of Urhobo nation:

(1)Olomu kingdom

(2)Agbarho kingdom

(3)Ogor kingdom

(4)Idjerhe(Jesse) kingdom

(5)Okpe kingdom

(6)Agbarha-Otor kingdom

(7)Okparabe kingdo

(cool Okere-Urhobo kingdom

(9)Uvwie kingdom

(10)Effurun-Otor kingdom

(11)Arhavwarien kingdom

(12)Udu kingdom

(13)Orogun kingdom

(14)Umiaghwa-Abraka kingdom

(15)Orhuarivie-Abraka kingdom

(16)Eghwu(Ewu) kingdom

(17)Ughelli kingdom

(18)Evwreni kingdom

(19)Agbarha-Ame kingdom

(20)Ughievwen kingdom

(21)Uwheru kingdom

(22)Agbon kingdom

(23)Oghara kingdom

(24)Mosogar kingdom.

Please, if yours is not mentioned, help us by stating it.

Urhobo wadooo!!!

NOTE: The lead-post has been edited to give worthy recognition to the two kingdoms that were birthed as a result of the division that erupted in the old Abraka kingdom.
As a result of that we now have 24 kingdoms in Urhobo nation.

1 Like

Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by uckennety(m): 12:23pm On Mar 19, 2017
donogaga:
Recently, we saw how some enemies of Urhobo nation have worked in vain to destroy the unity of the Urhobo united Kingdom UK.

We hear some say Olomu kingdom is Ijaw from Mein kingdom and others say the Okpe kingdom is not Urhobo.

Why do you sow the seed of discord amongst men of the same household?

To settle this case,we have taken it as a duty to publish the names of the twenty-four kingdoms of Urhobo nation:

(1)Olomu kingdom

(2)Agbarho kingdom

(3)Ogor kingdom

(4)Idjerhe(Jesse) kingdom

(5)Okpe kingdom

(6)Agbarha-Otor kingdom

(7)Okparabe kingdo

(cool Okere-Urhobo kingdom

(9)Uvwie kingdom

(10)Effurun-Otor kingdom

(11)Arhavwarien kingdom

(12)Udu kingdom

(13)Orogun kingdom

(14)Umiaghwa-Abraka kingdom

(15)Orhuarivie-Abraka kingdom

(16)Eghwu(Ewu) kingdom

(17)Ughelli kingdom

(18)Evwreni kingdom

(19)Agbarha-Ame kingdom

(20)Ughievwen kingdom

(21)Uwheru kingdom

(22)Agbon kingdom

(23)Oghara kingdom

(24)Mosogar kingdom.

Please, if yours is not mentioned, help us by stating it.

Urhobo wadooo!!!

NOTE: The lead-post has been edited to give worthy recognition to the two kingdoms that were birthed as a result of the division that erupted in the old Abraka kingdom.
As a result of that we now have 24 kingdoms in Urhobo nation.

All this benin autonomous communities should go and sit down!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by Rexxie234(m): 8:51pm On Feb 09, 2023
I luv my urhobo

1 Like

Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by AreaFada2: 10:04pm On Feb 09, 2023
uckennety:

Haba! not nice na. Urhobo people have done well for themselves in their "new" abode. I know that most Urhobo people are proud of their heritage and links with Benin/Edo. But they have an Urhobo identity now and we should all respect that. It is up to various people to decide how to relate with their kilt and kin from the past.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by omakay(m): 7:37pm On Feb 11, 2023
This plenty ethnicity in the Niger Delta is the reason that region will never develop.

Only the Itsekiri kingdom has that oneness. They can be spread across different locations but they are still ITSEKIRI.

In a country where 'my brother, my brother' is the order of the day, how 24 kingdoms wan take agree towards development.

And am very sure that the language spoken in all 24 kingdoms is not Urhobo.

Language alone don mess una up......

Cheeeiiii......
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by omakay(m): 7:44pm On Feb 11, 2023
Please note that Lagos has 51 kings yet they all speak the Yoruba language.

Can we say the same for the 24 Urhobo kingdoms!!!!!
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by Maazieze(m): 3:21pm On Feb 12, 2023
omakay:
Please note that Lagos has 51 kings yet they all speak the Yoruba language.

Can we say the same for the 24 Urhobo kingdoms!!!!!

Whats your issue?
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by Maazieze(m): 3:24pm On Feb 12, 2023
Also why are their 24 kingdoms? From what ive read most "monarchs" these didnt exist prior to colonialism and the imposition of "warrant chiefs", its more likely these fragmented kingdoms your reffering to are the various clans of the urhobo, and the precolonial polities of urhobo was stable and united, or part of the edo empire( ofcourse ik their were nobles that ruled the land in the oba's stead)

1 Like

Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by Efewestern: 2:59pm On Feb 13, 2023
Maazieze:
Also why are their 24 kingdoms? From what ive read most "monarchs" these didnt exist prior to colonialism and the imposition of "warrant chiefs", its more likely these fragmented kingdoms your reffering to are the various clans of the urhobo, and the precolonial polities of urhobo was stable and united, or part of the edo empire( ofcourse ik their were nobles that ruled the land in the oba's stead)

Just like the Igbos, the Urhobos were republican. During precolonial times, there was never any Urhobo clan that was under the rulership of an external government. Urhobo clans were fiercely independent and maintained autonomouship.

Although they were mostly republican, some Urhobo kingdoms were already in existence long before the formation of the Bini Empire. Ughelli kingdom for example existed long before Oba Eweka established a new kingdom.

Modern day Urhobo Kingdoms represent their clans and each with their origins. Olomu Kingdom for example is blend of Urhobo and Ijaw. The ancestors who formed the kingdom were Ijaw who blended with the Urhobo aboriginals.

2 Likes

Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by Maazieze(m): 3:37pm On Feb 13, 2023
Efewestern:

Just like the Igbos, the Urhobos were republican. During precolonial times, there was never any Urhobo clan that was under the rulership of an external government. Urhobo clans were fiercely independent and maintained autonomouship.

Although they were mostly republican, some Urhobo kingdoms were already in existence long before the formation of the Bini Empire. Ughelli kingdom for example existed long before Oba Eweka established a new kingdom.

Modern day Urhobo Kingdoms represent their clans and each with their origins. Olomu Kingdom for example is blend of Urhobo and Ijaw. The ancestors who formed the kingdom were Ijaw who blended with the Urhobo aboriginals.

i see, thank you for informing me.
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by darfay: 9:04pm On Feb 13, 2023
Efewestern:

I always thought they were primarily of Benin origin. My community in isoko migrated from that axis, In fact the chief deity of the community was/is ogwha- olomu or something like that.
This might mean that the ijaw components might either have been long assimilated before the migration or were later migrant as both element should have been retained in our dialect at least fractionally. We can't really know our African history with certainty sha
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by Efewestern: 11:09pm On Feb 13, 2023
darfay:

I always thought they were primarily of Benin origin. My community in isoko migrated from that axis, In fact the chief deity of the community was/is ogwha- olomu or something like that.
This might mean that the ijaw components might either have been long assimilated before the migration or were later migrant as both element should have been retained in our dialect at least fractionally. We can't really know our African history with certainty sha

Are you by any chance from Olomoro? Olomoro is a direct descendants from Olomu and till date they maintain a healthy relationship. The Ohworode is always present in every event and vise versa.

The Ijaws were mainly riverine people. I believe they met few Urhobo speaking people and over the years lost touch of their mother tongue. The Olomoro migration happened decades after Olomu has been established and the Urhobo dialects well spoken. Agbon and Okpe had ancestors from Olomu as well.

Kiagbodo, another Ijaw enclave almost fell to Urhobo. It took the conscious effort of several Ijaw bodies to revive the fading Ijaw influences in modern times.

The ruling house in Olomu is directly Ijaw reason for the OGONI title.

While the core of the Urhobo people is Edo, the Urhobos had ancestors from other Groups mostly Ijaws who we bordered on almost all front.

We barely have any recorded history, so it is really hard to trace our roots. Was having this debate days back about the Oba and Ogie title. If our ancestors had atleast kept some records, we won't even debate somethings.
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by darfay: 6:14pm On Feb 14, 2023
Efewestern:

Are you by any chance from Olomoro? Olomoro is a direct descendants from Olomu and till date they maintain a healthy relationship. The Ohworode is always present in every event and vise versa.

The Ijaws were mainly riverine people. I believe they met few Urhobo speaking people and over the years lost touch of their mother tongue. The Olomoro migration happened decades after Olomu has been established and the Urhobo dialects well spoken. Agbon and Okpe had ancestors from Olomu as well.

Kiagbodo, another Ijaw enclave almost fell to Urhobo. It took the conscious effort of several Ijaw bodies to revive the fading Ijaw influences in modern times.

The ruling house in Olomu is directly Ijaw reason for the OGONI title.

While the core of the Urhobo people is Edo, the Urhobos had ancestors from other Groups mostly Ijaws who we bordered on almost all front.

We barely have any recorded history, so it is really hard to trace our roots. Was having this debate days back about the Oba and Ogie title. If our ancestors had atleast kept some records, we won't even debate somethings.

Yes that's were I'm from, I'm fully aware of the deep relationship both communities continue to share even though there are some element who are trying to rewrite that part of our history by opting for a more fashionable migration from Benin but the evidence is not really in their favour. I also believe the migration would have happened after olomu was established as an urhobo community if not we would have retained some element of both languages in our dialect, their is also a possibility of acculturation, I find it odd that neighboring communities like enwhe with a supposed igbo migration has a dialect more closer to urhobo than ours that actually migrated from that axis, infact "come" in enwhe is "Yare" and not Nyanze

I'm vaguely aware of kiagbodo, is it close to olomu?I knew they were are bilingual ijaw people. Plus one of the satellite communities/villages of olomoro is ikiagbodo. I think colonization might have put an end to an outward(west/east) migration of urhobo (of ughelli) and isoko people as evidenced by bilingual communities like kiagbodo and some ndokwa clans ibedeni ,ashaka and Ase that are bilingual

Our ancestors kept records in their own way albeit inefficient, they told folklores which in itself Forms the bulk of what we know about our past. I partially followed that argument on ogie/oba debate, very informative tbh. I once came across a scholarly report that postulated that edoid people migrated from edo North. I don't know how factual it is but of the edoid languages north of sapele, I hear Esan is the most intelligible with ours.
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by Efewestern: 5:08am On Feb 15, 2023
darfay:

Yes that's were I'm from, I'm fully aware of the deep relationship both communities continue to share even though there are some element who are trying to rewrite that part of our history by opting for a more fashionable migration from Benin but the evidence is not really in their favour. I also believe the migration would have happened after olomu was established as an urhobo community if not we would have retained some element of both languages in our dialect, their is also a possibility of acculturation, I find it odd that neighboring communities like enwhe with a supposed igbo migration has a dialect more closer to urhobo than ours that actually migrated from that axis, infact "come" in enwhe is "Yare" and not Nyanze

I'm vaguely aware of kiagbodo, is it close to olomu?I knew they were are bilingual ijaw people. Plus one of the satellite communities/villages of olomoro is ikiagbodo. I think colonization might have put an end to an outward(west/east) migration of urhobo (of ughelli) and isoko people as evidenced by bilingual communities like kiagbodo and some ndokwa clans ibedeni ,ashaka and Ase that are bilingual

Our ancestors kept records in their own way albeit inefficient, they told folklores which in itself Forms the bulk of what we know about our past. I partially followed that argument on ogie/oba debate, very informative tbh. I once came across a scholarly report that postulated that edoid people migrated from edo North. I don't know how factual it is but of the edoid languages north of sapele, I hear Esan is the most intelligible with ours.

The Benin migration story is more palatable, reason for it's widespread. Recently, some Urhobos are trying to establish a non-existent link with Ife. I don't know why few Okpe historian would say Okpe ancestors migrated from Ile-Ife when we can easily trace their origins to Olomu. Infact Okpe quarters in Olomu is still standing till this very day.

I agree with you that the Ijaws came after Olomu has been established as an Urhobo community. Or maybe our Urhobo ancestors colonized several neighbouring Ijaw communities to form what is today the larger Olomu kingdom.

Also, I believe Olomu is one of the oldest Urhobo enclave. There is a lot we need to dig about the origins of the Urhobo/Isoko. I know the core is somewhere in Edo, but the recent Benin migration stories look so "falsetified." The Urhobo/Isoko ancestors left their initial terrain atleast 800years before anything Benin was formed. A lot of internal migration happened between Urhobo and Isoko, so trying to pin our whole existence on Benin is a joke taken too far.

@Bolded, are you sure there is a satellite community in Olomoro called Ikiagbodo? If true, we can't really dismiss the strong link between Urhobo/Isoko and Ijaw. The Olomu rulling house still make references to Ijaw till this very day. Our ancestors really did push their boundaries. Look at how they penetrated Ndokwa and western Ijaw terrains. And yes, Kiagbodo shares border with Urhobo.

I don't really subscribe to the Edo North migration history mostly because some of the groups in the zone are too recent to birth our ancestors. I believe that the ancestors of Urhobo/Isoko, Esan and Bini lived together as one in a republican society before the great migration.

Prof Ekeh did lots of research on Urhobo as a proto-edoid group. He was one of the few Urhobo historian who never subscribed entirely to the Bini migratory story.
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by IgbuduMonkey: 11:17am On Feb 15, 2023
darfay:

Interesting observation. I noticed that the Edo North people call God Oghene and their women behave exactly like Urhobo women even the ones that are Muslims, hardworking and witty. There is no doubt in my mind that these people are the closest people to the Urhobos and may be closer to them than the Isokos except for language
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by RedboneSmith(m): 12:31pm On Feb 15, 2023
Efewestern:

I don't really subscribe to the Edo North migration history mostly because some of the groups in the zone are too recent to birth our ancestors. I believe that the ancestors of Urhobo/Isoko, Esan and Bini lived together as one in a republican society before the great migration.

Origins in Edo North does not mean that the current occupants of Edo North birthed the Urhobo. In the same way, the origins of Indo-Europeans from the Ukraine area doesn't mean Ukrainians birthed the Indo-Europeans.

In the deep time when these events and first migrations were happening, none of the modern ethnic identities Ẹsan, Afenmai, Benin, Urhobo, etc, would have made any real sense to the peoples of the era.

From a linguistic POV, an Edo North origin for all Edoid speakers remains by far the best theory in scholarly circles till date.

The Benin migrations which are very alive in oral traditions belong to the era of Benin imperial expansion, and those Benin migrants already found Edoid-speaking people on ground in Urhobo/Isoko and Ẹsan areas.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by UGBE634: 12:51pm On Feb 15, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Origins in Edo North does not mean that the current occupants of Edo North birthed the Urhobo. In the same way, the origins of Indo-Europeans from the Ukraine area doesn't mean Ukrainians birthed the Indo-Europeans.

In the deep time when these events and first migrations were happening, none of the modern ethnic identities Ẹsan, Afenmai, Benin, Urhobo, etc, would have made any real sense to the peoples of the era.

From a linguistic POV, an Edo North origin for all Edoid speakers remains by far the best theory in scholarly circles till date.

The Benin migrations which are very alive in oral traditions belong to the era of Benin imperial expansion, and those Benin migrants already found Edoid-speaking people on ground in Urhobo/Idoko and Ẹsan areas.
The E is not usually dotted in Esan, it is Esan, the E is not pronounced the way the E in edo is pronounced
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by RedboneSmith(m): 3:34pm On Feb 15, 2023
UGBE634:
The E is not usually dotted in Esan, it is Esan, the E is not pronounced the way the E in edo is pronounced

My phone autocorrect did that. Since I set it to recognise Nigerian languages, it has been putting dots randomly on vowels. No time to be going back to edit. Lol.
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by darfay: 5:53pm On Feb 15, 2023
Efewestern:

The Benin migration story is more palatable, reason for it's widespread. Recently, some Urhobos are trying to establish a non-existent link with Ife. I don't know why few Okpe historian would say Okpe ancestors migrated from Ile-Ife when we can easily trace their origins to Olomu. Infact Okpe quarters in Olomu is still standing till this very day.

I agree with you that the Ijaws came after Olomu has been established as an Urhobo community. Or maybe our Urhobo ancestors colonized several neighbouring Ijaw communities to form what is today the larger Olomu kingdom.

Also, I believe Olomu is one of the oldest Urhobo enclave. There is a lot we need to dig about the origins of the Urhobo/Isoko. I know the core is somewhere in Edo, but the recent Benin migration stories look so "falsetified." The Urhobo/Isoko ancestors left their initial terrain atleast 800years before anything Benin was formed. A lot of internal migration happened between Urhobo and Isoko, so trying to pin our whole existence on Benin is a joke taken too far.

@Bolded, are you sure there is a satellite community in Olomoro called Ikiagbodo? If true, we can't really dismiss the strong link between Urhobo/Isoko and Ijaw. The Olomu rulling house still make references to Ijaw till this very day. Our ancestors really did push their boundaries. Look at how they penetrated Ndokwa and western Ijaw terrains. And yes, Kiagbodo shares border with Urhobo.

Prof Ekeh did lots of research on Urhobo as a proto-edoid group. He was one of the few Urhobo historian who never subscribed entirely to the Bini migratory story.

There was a colonial document where the Erowha people of isoko south claimed to have never migrated from anywhere and were aboriginal to their current location (their esoteric speech might corroborate that) but they've suddenly jumped on the bandwagon of Benin migrants not to be out done by their neighbors.
Ife ties with okpe is laughable at best and might be a way to assert a distinct identity. I have always heard isoko people say that okpe people migrated from okpe isoko but again we cannot know for sure if the authenticity of these claims and yes ikiagbodo is one of the villages of olomoro clan

I hear they're currently protesting in warri, please y'all should stay safe
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by darfay: 6:11pm On Feb 15, 2023
IgbuduMonkey:
Interesting observation. I noticed that the Edo North people call God Oghene and their women behave exactly like Urhobo women even the ones that are Muslims, hardworking and witty. There is no doubt in my mind that these people are the closest people to the Urhobos and may be closer to them than the Isokos except for language

Extensive linguistics study still needs to be carried out on the origin of edoid people, their links and relationship between groups . I don't know much about Edo North and I'm aware they call God oghena which awfully similar to ours. The other day I got to find out that the ruler of weppa wanno people of Agenebode is called okumagbe which could be translated as unifier most like from the root word okugbe which is isoko for unity.
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by UGBE634: 7:37pm On Feb 15, 2023
darfay:

Extensive linguistics study still needs to be carried out on the origin of edoid people, their links and relationship between groups . I don't know much about Edo North and I'm aware they call God oghena which awfully similar to ours. The other day I got to find out that the ruler of weppa wanno people of Agenebode is called okumagbe which could be translated as unifier most like from the root word okugbe which is isoko for unity.
that's why they are Edoid languages sir, related lects. in Benin, we call unity-"Akugbe" that is what Esan call it too

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by UGBE634: 7:38pm On Feb 15, 2023
RedboneSmith:

My phone autocorrect did that. Since I set it to recognise Nigerian languages, it has been putting dots randomly on vowels. No time to be going back to edit. Lol.
Oh okay
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by Efewestern: 9:36am On Feb 16, 2023
RedboneSmith:

The Benin migrations which are very alive in oral traditions belong to the era of Benin imperial expansion, and those Benin migrants already found Edoid-speaking people on ground in Urhobo/Isoko and Ẹsan areas.

Do you know any research you can recommend to me as regards the Edo North origin of the Edoid people? I would love to look more into it and maybe update my historical knowledge.
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by Efewestern: 9:43am On Feb 16, 2023
darfay:

There was a colonial document where the Erowha people of isoko south claimed to have never migrated from anywhere and were aboriginal to their current location (their esoteric speech might corroborate that) but they've suddenly jumped on the bandwagon of Benin migrants not to be out done by their neighbors.
Ife ties with okpe is laughable at best and might be a way to assert a distinct identity. I have always heard isoko people say that okpe people migrated from okpe isoko but again we cannot know for sure if the authenticity of these claims and yes ikiagbodo is one of the villages of olomoro clan

I hear they're currently protesting in warri, please y'all should stay safe

Amongst the Edoid groups, Bini was the only sub-tribe to build a flourishing empire, the rest were pretty republican. So it is understandable why they all try to establish some links with Bini.

It could be possible that Isoko and Urhobo ancestors both formed Okpe. My own clan pays homage to Isoko and Olomu. There was a lot of internal migration between Urhobo and Isoko. I only find it strange that all of a sudden, they all begin to forge an ancestral link with Bini while dismissing their internal origins.

As it is, we can't know the true origin of the Edoid people. We are only certain it is somewhere in Edo.
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by darfay: 6:15pm On Feb 16, 2023
Efewestern:

Amongst the Edoid groups, Bini was the only sub-tribe to build a flourishing empire, the rest were pretty republican. So it is understandable why they all try to establish some links with Bini.

It could be possible that Isoko and Urhobo ancestors both formed Okpe. My own clan pays homage to Isoko and Olomu. There was a lot of internal migration between Urhobo and Isoko. I only find it strange that all of a sudden, they all begin to forg an ancestral link with Bini while dismissing their internal origins.

As it is, we can't know the true origin of the Edoid people. We are only certain it is somewhere in Edo.

Factos!
That explains our identical culture and similar languages
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by AutomaticMotors: 8:49pm On Feb 16, 2023
Efewestern:

Ughelli kingdom for example existed long before Oba Eweka established a new kingdom.

AreaFada2 what do you think about the bolded ? Not to sound cocky but I find in funny knowing the facts on ground ........
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by AutomaticMotors: 8:49pm On Feb 16, 2023
uckennety:

Chill bro grin
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by AutomaticMotors: 8:51pm On Feb 16, 2023
If this urhobos sew it arm length and did not slim fit their attire it would be almost a exact replica of the Benins fit when sewed with lace cc AreaFada2

Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by RedboneSmith(m): 10:37pm On Feb 16, 2023
Efewestern:

Do you know any research you can recommend to me as regards the Edo North origin of the Edoid people? I would love to look more into it and maybe update my historical knowledge.

It's mostly a linguistic issue. Elugbe's book on Edoid linguistics called "Comparative Edoid: Phonology and Lexcion" is the one reference that historians generally point to.
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by AreaFada2: 8:09pm On Mar 01, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

AreaFada2 what do you think about the bolded ? Not to sound cocky but I find in funny knowing the facts on ground ........
Lol.

Dude, in 50 to 100 years time, that will be the general view outside Benin. What is on ground is still very visible, yet people already dispute it. That's how it began in Eastern Yorubaland.

Well, as we continue to diverge, Edoid people will continue to be more different. At some point, quite soon enough, we will become very different.

Now, some of our Delta cousins are exploring "Edo North origin" of Edoid tribes. For some reason, some would feel more comfortable originating from Edo North than Benin area. cheesy grin cheesy

People are cool to decide their history and origins. If someone can climb down from heaven, from mountain, from Afghanistan with Alibaba flying carpet, nothing people will not come up with. It's all good. grin cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by AutomaticMotors: 10:04pm On Mar 01, 2023
AreaFada2:

Lol.

Dude, in 50 to 100 years time, that will be the general view outside Benin. What is on ground is still very visible, yet people already dispute it. That's how it began in Eastern Yorubaland.

Well, as we continue to diverge, Edoid people will continue to be more different. At some point, quite soon enough, we will become very different.

Now, some of our Delta cousins are exploring "Edo North origin" of Edoid tribes. For some reason, some would feel more comfortable originating from Edo North than Benin area. cheesy grin cheesy

People are cool to decide their history and origins. If someone can climb down from heaven, from mountain, from Afghanistan with Alibaba flying carpet, nothing people will not come up with. It's all good. grin cheesy

Bros it's really crazy the disrespect thrown at Benin this days, all is well.... Anyways all you posted is facts like always.... How have you been ?
Re: The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. by AreaFada2: 10:49pm On Mar 01, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

Bros it's really crazy the disrespect thrown at Benin this days, all is well.... Anyways all you posted is facts like always.... How have you been ?

Good, good. Been very busy. And how have you been?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? / Peter Tosh In Nigeria / Yoruba Phenomenon Of The Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.