Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,358 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:07 AM

Do We Really Need A Degree To Succeed In Life? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do We Really Need A Degree To Succeed In Life? (2896 Views)

Why I Dropped My Degree To Become A Taxi Driver - Abuja-based Female Taxi Driver / Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Really Need A Degree To Succeed In Life? by snow123: 7:10pm On Dec 20, 2009
I have some friends who have gotten differents degrees in different fields . inshort to make a long story short, one of them has Bsc in Mass communication, bsc in accountancy Bsc in Engineering and still yet has not gotten a job in any of the fields . So my advise to all those who are wasting time and money acquiring degrees in different field are:.
1. that you don;t need a degree in life to be successfull in life .what you need is a basic education .eg in developed world you dont need a degree to be a banker , work in oil company ,work in communication company, be a journalist, be stock broker, be a president of a country ,governor , senator.or even a nurse.
2.Reserches have shown that most of the world riches men and women did not have even a degree.
But pls. don't misunderstand me, education is good but i think that one should focus in one field and be the best in his or her field instead of jumping from one course to another .
Re: Do We Really Need A Degree To Succeed In Life? by MrCrackles(m): 7:20pm On Dec 20, 2009
No. . . .
Re: Do We Really Need A Degree To Succeed In Life? by Nija4Life(m): 3:46pm On Dec 21, 2009
snow123:

I have some friends who have gotten differents degrees in different fields . inshort to make a long story short, one of them has Bsc in Mass communication, bsc in accountancy Bsc in Engineering and still yet has not gotten a job in any of the fields . So my advise to all those who are wasting time and money acquiring degrees in different field are:.
1. that you don;t need a degree in life to be successfull in life .what you need is a basic education .eg in developed world you dont need a degree to be a banker , work in oil company ,work in communication company, be a journalist, be stock broker, be a president of a country ,governor , senator.or even a nurse.
2.Reserches have shown that most of the world riches men and women did not have even a degree.
But pls. don't misunderstand me, education is good but i think that one should focus in one field and be the best in his or her field instead of jumping from one course to another .

You could have rephrased the question to ask 'do you need an education to succeed in life'?  Success in life does not depend on one factor alone, there are different variants that contribute to a successful life, depending on your definition of success. However, there is no denying the fact that a good education gives you more choices in life. When I arrived in the UK  some years ago, I went in search of engineering jobs but little did I know that my engineering degree counted for nothing in the field . However, after years of trying my hands on different things, last year I enrolled for a Post Graduate teaching course. Today I’m a qualified teacher, with a good job and earning a decent wage. The same degree that wasn’t good enough for engineering jobs was useful when I was applying for my PGCE.
Re: Do We Really Need A Degree To Succeed In Life? by AjanleKoko: 7:39pm On Dec 21, 2009
snow123:

@poster, in an absurd way, I kind of agree with you. Especially when I look at the Nigerian context.

You should not need a degree to be successful in life, under any circumstances. If you feel you want to get one, fine. Else, there are lots of other stuff you can do. Especially in Nigeria where the dearth of skilled workers of any kind is shocking. Nobody knows how to build or fix anything. Skills are at best mediocre. Training is abysmally poor.

What I see in the world today is degrees are no more worth the paper they're written on. And this applies for everywhere else, not just Nigeria. Look at the modern-day MBA craze, especially in the United States. People doing overpriced MBAs, with no apparent tangible value. An industry created wholly out of perception. I only regret that I have endorsed this sham in the past. No wonder the world's economy is in a mess.

We need more people who can roll up their sleeves and get things done. We need road builders, carpenters, technicians, mechanics, etc. That's why you see that nobody is really interested in those degrees that mean a lot of work, like medicine, science, and engineering tech. Everybody wants a top MBA, everybody wants a top financial sector job, somewhere they can hide and earn big money. Even IT is now being touted as a hiding place for mediocres, so you see IT certifications as a substitute for degrees, and the bunch of 'certified' IT people end up as trainers, training other aspiring IT people.

Apologies but I felt someone needed to say the oft unsaid.
Re: Do We Really Need A Degree To Succeed In Life? by yemmight(m): 4:02pm On Dec 28, 2009
I don't think degree is a must. I must tell you that its crazy having to get 3 degrees at a time. Any good recruiter will not shotrlist anyone with 3 degrees for a single position. Best bet you can have BSc, MBA/MSc and a must professional qualification that of your background. That is sufficient.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Does Airtel Pay? / How Much Does FERMA Abuja Pay? / Pls Help Me Decide My Future

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.