Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,156 members, 7,811,317 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:10 AM

Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle (12726 Views)

Burning Vehicle Along Lagos-ibadan Express Causes Traffic (photos) / Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online / FRSC - Items You Must Have In Your Vehicle Always (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by chelseabmw(m): 5:53pm On Dec 22, 2009
I"m loving it here
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by Dammyray(m): 6:40pm On Dec 23, 2009
Nice tread
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by LordReed(m): 10:00am On Dec 25, 2009
If a car is manufactured in 2000 does that mean its model year is 2001?
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by kwekwe: 10:24am On Dec 25, 2009
Is this applicable to trucks/trailers.? For instance, how can i know the year a truck from Mack company was produced.
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by Nobody: 11:38am On Dec 25, 2009
kwekwe:

Is this applicable to trucks/trailers.? For instance, how can i know the year a truck from Mack company was produced.

This rule applies to Mack Trucks as well, for example, 1M2AK06C57N018146 belongs to a 2007 Mack Truck. Note that the 10th digit of the Chassis number(VIN) is 7:

VIN 1M2AK06C57N018146
Year/Make/Model: 2007 MACK 600 CXN
Body Style: TANDEM
Manufactured In: UNITED STATES
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by ROBEN(m): 7:57am On Jan 12, 2010
@Sienna, Thanx for ue educative piece but i seem to be a bit confused here cos I just got a new Toyota Corolla car and it seems not to agree with your analysis. The VIN is AHTLC58E503015578. Pls what explanation can u offer for this as to identifying year of manufacture?

GTay:

^^^ VIN or Vehicle Identification Number is also called Chassis Number

It contains 17 Digits of which the letters O, I and Q and are excluded (to avoid confusion with the numbers 0,1 and 9 respectively)

Every car has its unique VIN just like every computer device has a unique Mac Address  wink

@GTay, what explanation can u give since my 10 digit is 0 and U said 0 is always excluded to avoid confusion?
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by magragold(m): 8:50pm On Mar 04, 2010
So what will be the VIN of 2010 cars?

Can someone help out please? grin
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by Nobody: 9:06pm On Mar 04, 2010
ROBEN:

@Sienna, Thanx for ue educative piece but i seem to be a bit confused here cos I just got a new Toyota Corolla car and it seems not to agree with your analysis. The VIN is AHTLC58E503015578. Pls what explanation can u offer for this as to identifying year of manufacture?

@GTay, what explanation can u give since my 10 digit is 0 and U said 0 is always excluded to avoid confusion?

When you say your Corolla's brand new, do you mean brand new as in bought new from a dealership, with yourself being the first registered keeper?

Or Nigeria's version of brand new, as in bought as an import (Tokunbo) and you're the first registered keeper in Nigeria?
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by chelseabmw(m): 10:09pm On Sep 04, 2010
smiley smiley smiley
nice job seinna
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:44pm On Feb 07, 2012
bobszz!!!  shocked my car was manufactured in 1960  angry i dey vex grin grin good job Siena
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by Noslan007: 9:04pm On Feb 07, 2012
Good day sienna, Thanks for your education on car. I really appreciate it. Am planning to get my first car this month and my choice is Toyota previa 96 or 97 model. Please can you tell me some fact i need to know about this van. Please reply.
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by eros(m): 9:46pm On Feb 07, 2012
Great post.
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by Oboy1: 9:45pm On Apr 19, 2013
ROBEN: @Sienna, Thanx for ue educative piece but i seem to be a bit confused here cos I just got a new Toyota Corolla car and it seems not to agree with your analysis. The VIN is AHTLC58E503015578. Pls what explanation can u offer for this as to identifying year of manufacture?

am also confused, my toyota carina e VIN SB164ABK10E032383 the 10th digit is 0, so how do i know the year of manufacture?
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by jum33: 10:34am On Apr 22, 2013
Hello ,
My car(nissan Primera p11 144) VIN no 10th digit is letter 'U ',hw do i get the date of manufacture from this
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by uboma(m): 8:26pm On May 12, 2013
@ Siena, this is a very informative thread. Kudos and keep up the good work.
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by IbukaDantata: 1:19am On May 13, 2013
U is the 10th digit in my VIN no.....
please somebody help, it seems there is a twist somewhere?
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by aaidel(m): 3:41am On May 13, 2013
"The European Union has a similar regulation for VINs, but it is less stringent than the North American rule. European VINs are not required to include year, factory or vehicle attribute data. However, the two systems are compatible. While most countries have some form of VIN system that is compatible with the North American system, cars that are imported must have their VIN number entered into the MVR database along with enough information to explain what the codes are if the original VIN system differs from the ISO 3779 standard." ( http://auto.howstuffworks.com/vin.htm )
this might help
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by aaidel(m): 3:57am On May 13, 2013
It simply means that the topic starter has been looking at an explanation as to what the American VIN-number positions mean. European VIN-number directives aren't as stringent as their American equivalent. They're still based on the same ISO 3779 procedure but they don't require the year of manufacture (position ten), the factory code (position eleven) or the accuracy check number (position nine), nor the VDS (positions three to eight) for the model description.
The way Toyota VIN-numbers are made up is manufacturing country (position one), factory location (position two), division of Toyota responsible for that model (position three), body shape (position four and five), model code (position six to nine), assembly line (position ten and eleven) and finally the serial number (position twelve to seventeen). For lines in which more than 999999 serial numbers are being used, the last position of the assembly line will change a digit to allow another 999999 serial numbers.
In recent years due to the proliferation of different submodels and the use of five-digit model codes, the body shape and model code positions have changed from their actual meaning (for instance ..LBTA60... meant LiftBack TA60 model or ..COAW11... meant COupe AW11 model) to a sort of code based on the ISO 3779 VSD requirements allowing more possibilities.

thats from toyota owners club the gist of the matter seems to be that only american prodeced models have the year of production as the tenth digit for other european models its not certain.
P.S if the parts of a vehicle are imported largely from a different country it might not be designated as an american produced vehicle despite being assembled there.

1 Like

Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by samir101ng(m): 10:52am On May 15, 2013
Hello,

many posters have made contributions on the history of VINS and their use in the identification of a vehicle. However, nobody has still broken down how to interpret a vehicles VIN number to identify the date of manufacture.
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by wisesystem: 1:18pm On May 18, 2013
aaidel: It simply means that the topic starter has been looking at an explanation as to what the American VIN-number positions mean. European VIN-number directives aren't as stringent as their American equivalent. They're still based on the same ISO 3779 procedure but they don't require the year of manufacture (position ten), the factory code (position eleven) or the accuracy check number (position nine), nor the VDS (positions three to eight) for the model description.
The way Toyota VIN-numbers are made up is manufacturing country (position one), factory location (position two), division of Toyota responsible for that model (position three), body shape (position four and five), model code (position six to nine), assembly line (position ten and eleven) and finally the serial number (position twelve to seventeen). For lines in which more than 999999 serial numbers are being used, the last position of the assembly line will change a digit to allow another 999999 serial numbers.
In recent years due to the proliferation of different submodels and the use of five-digit model codes, the body shape and model code positions have changed from their actual meaning (for instance ..LBTA60... meant LiftBack TA60 model or ..COAW11... meant COupe AW11 model) to a sort of code based on the ISO 3779 VSD requirements allowing more possibilities.

thats from toyota owners club the gist of the matter seems to be that only american prodeced models have the year of production as the tenth digit for other european models its not certain.
P.S if the parts of a vehicle are imported largely from a different country it might not be designated as an american produced vehicle despite being assembled there.

very informative addition, more like the exception to the general rule of VIN classification. very much appreciated broda!
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by aaidel(m): 4:18am On May 25, 2013
samir101ng: Hello,

many posters have made contributions on the history of VINS and their use in the identification of a vehicle. However, nobody has still broken down how to interpret a vehicles VIN number to identify the date of manufacture.

if you read through the posts you will see that for merican produced cars it is position 10 while for japanese and european prodeuced cars its not a requirement for year of production to be included in the VIN so u can use the manuals if available or the seatbelt label

wisesystem:

thanks glad to be of help

very informative addition, more like the exception to the general rule of VIN classification. very much appreciated broda!
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by cephark: 9:26am On Jan 20, 2019
Please what is the model year of this car with VIN SB164AEB1"0"E566156. The car is European car. The 10th digit is is "0" (Zero) and is different from American digit.

aaidel:
"The European Union has a similar regulation for VINs, but it is less stringent than the North American rule. European VINs are not required to include year, factory or vehicle attribute data. However, the two systems are compatible. While most countries have some form of VIN system that is compatible with the North American system, cars that are imported must have their VIN number entered into the MVR database along with enough information to explain what the codes are if the original VIN system differs from the ISO 3779 standard." ( http://auto.howstuffworks.com/vin.htm )
this might help

Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by CarGuideNG: 9:59am On Jan 20, 2019
cephark:
Please what is the model year of this car with VIN SB164AEB1"0"E566156. The car is European car. The 10th digit is is "0" (Zero) and is different from American digit.

Hello Sir

Your car is a 1999 Toyota Corolla 4 door Lift back. It was produced in 11/1999.

It looks similar to this, but black.

1 Like

Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by cephark: 8:41am On Jan 21, 2019
Please what is the model year of this Car with VIN SB164AEB1"0"E566156? The car is European Car. the 10th digit is "0" (Zero) and is different from America digit

inspiredm:

Seat belts Could have been Replaced or the info Label tampered With.

The Most accurate way to know the Year of Manufacture is Using the 10th Digit on the VIN / Chasis number.
  cool cool
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by cephark: 8:48am On Jan 21, 2019
THANKS.

CarGuideNG:

Hello Sir

Your car is a 1999 Toyota Corolla 4 door Lift back. It was produced in 11/1999.

It looks similar to this, but black.
Re: Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle by HassieMalcomson(f): 3:14pm On Sep 17, 2021
Thanks for this thread. I am amazed that you guys are good at recognizing car brands and models. However, as a programmer, I usually use good databases to find the models and manufacturers of different vehicles. I recently worked on an app project and used this dataset https://www.thedataplanet.com/databases/autoparts-database.html to fetch all details of car models, parts, brands and images. I think if you also want to guess the different vehicles and their models, then you can consider using this database.

Similarly, you can also use the websites like FuelEconomy https://www.fueleconomy.gov/ and even the official websites of these car brands to know about their models, manufacturing details and other credentials. Hopefully, with these resources, you can find all the required information.

Best of luck!

(1) (2) (Reply)

22 Essential Tips For Uber, Oga-taxi & Taxify Drivers / 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident / Step By Step Instructions On How To Change Your Car Engine Oil Yourself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.