Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Eight Things You May Not Know About The Late Business Tycoon David Rockefeller - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Eight Things You May Not Know About The Late Business Tycoon David Rockefeller (751 Views)

Must Read If You're A Business Tycoon / Billionaire Banker David Rockefeller Dies Aged 101 / Sola David-Borha, The Highest Paid CEO In Nigeria Makes N484,931 Daily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eight Things You May Not Know About The Late Business Tycoon David Rockefeller by Nobody: 8:20am On Mar 21, 2017
Here are 5 Things You May Not Know About The Late David Rockefeller, history’s most fabled business man

1. Early life

David Rockefeller was born on June 12, 1915, in Manhattan, New York, where he grew up in the Midtown district. He was the youngest of six children born to John . D. Rockefeller Jr . and Abby Aldrich Rockefeller, and the grandson of John D. Rockefeller, the founder of Standard Oil.

2. He is an Army Veteran

Five months after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, David Rockefeller enlisted in the U.S. Army. He served in North Africa and France, and had a post as an assistant military attache in Paris. He was discharged in 1945, having earned the rank of captain. For his service, he was awarded with the U.S. Legion of Merit, the U.S. Army commendation Ribbon and the French Legion of Honor.

3. His Entry into the business world

After returning to the United States, Rockefeller began a storied career in banking.

He first joined Chase National Bank in 1946, and rose through the ranks to become a senior vice president in 1952. His work involved expanding Chase's business in Latin America, as well as helping to oversee the 1955 merger of Chase National and the Bank of Manhattan, resulting in what is now known as Chase Manhattan Bank. By 1969, Rockefeller had become CEO of the bank, as well as chairman of its board of directors.
By the time he retired in 1981, David Rockefeller had built a reputation as a global leader in the world of finance, foreign relations and public service.

4. His grand father John .D. Rockefeller lived so long that his life insurance company had to pay him off

His Grand father John d. Rockefeller certainly enjoyed long life.
When he turned 96, his insurance company was required to pay him the $5 million face value of his policy.

His life spanned from the presidency of Martin Van Buren to that of Franklin D. Roosevelt before his death at age 97 on May 23, 1937.

5. He holds a record in Harvard

In 2008, Rockefeller donated $100 million to his alma mater, Harvard University—the largest gift by an alumnus in the school's history.

6. Death

David Rockefeller died on March 20, 2017, at his home in Pocantico Hills, New York, at the age of 101.

7. Many organisations stand to gain from his death

When he was alive, David Rockefeller Bequeathed Vast Sums of Money to Organizations and Non-Profits, To Be Paid When He Died.

On his 90th birthday, he pledged $100 million to the Museum of Modern Art upon his death, and $100 million to the Rockefeller University for capital improvements and graduate studies. He also pledged $100 million to Harvard upon his passing.

That’s not all though, there are likely more bequests which haven’t been publicly shared.

8. He knew 150,000 people

According to Bloomberg News, David Rockefeller assembled an "electronic Rolodex" that listed a grand total of 150,000 people he knew.

Back in the day, nobody, with the possible exception of Henry Kissinger, was so successful at racing around the globe, meeting heads of state and business leaders.

http://listwand.com/2017/03/eight-things-you-may-not-know-about-the-late-david-rockefeller/

Re: Eight Things You May Not Know About The Late Business Tycoon David Rockefeller by PMPhoenix(m): 8:54am On Mar 21, 2017
No offense, but dude looks like a vampire with bloodshot eyes and fangs hanging from his mouth sad
Re: Eight Things You May Not Know About The Late Business Tycoon David Rockefeller by Nobody: 9:00am On Mar 21, 2017
Baba bless me until I can build duplex for everybody in my community. Bless until I can touch 1billion lives. Nonsense world, we came with nothing and will go with nothing yet Nigerian politicians loot like they will leave earth with the money

1 Like

Re: Eight Things You May Not Know About The Late Business Tycoon David Rockefeller by Nobody: 10:10am On Mar 21, 2017
PMPhoenix:
No offense, but dude looks like a vampire with bloodshot eyes and fangs hanging from his mouth sad
He's 101.... how else do you want him to look like?
Re: Eight Things You May Not Know About The Late Business Tycoon David Rockefeller by Nobody: 10:13am On Mar 21, 2017
jcmaiah:
Baba bless me until I can build duplex for everybody in my community. Bless until I can touch 1billion lives. Nonsense world, we came with nothing and will go with nothing yet Nigerian politicians loot like they will leave earth with the money
Not just our politicians, even our pastors amass wealth like they will leave earth with it...

(1) (Reply)

My Dorm Room In China. Hustler Life In China. (video) / Distributors Wanted For A Fast Moving Consumer Goods / Grow Your Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.