Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,192 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

Keeping Your Hairline Intact - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Keeping Your Hairline Intact (3728 Views)

How I Got My Edges/hairline/front Hair To Grow (before & After Pictures) / How Many Of You Are Tired Of That Barber Messing Up Your Hairline And Your Hair / Keeping Your Lotion Refrigerated Gives Better Result! True Or False? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Keeping Your Hairline Intact by SeanT21(f): 3:20am On Dec 21, 2009
How can one protect their hairline from falling back?? Damaging?? Can 2 much braids damage it.??
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by Akebulan: 3:55am On Dec 21, 2009
Yeah, it can but only because of tension to the hair strands. Get your hair dresser to NOT tugg at your hair when he/she braids it. Lastly, have your hair in bangs once in a while as opposed to all-back so often
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by SeanT21(f): 3:57am On Dec 21, 2009
Thanks.
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by mohawkchic(f): 4:20am On Dec 21, 2009
~It's woorying the amount of chics i've seen w/ damaged hairlines. . for some reason i hear the hair is much harder to grow on damaged hairlines. . . .

~I'm sure more folks will be on hand to give you advice on how to prevent hairline breakage. . .you can always look it up online too!

~An extract i found online

"I used to wear my braids for[b] three months at a time[/b]. As your hair grows,[b] the braids grow away from the scalp and their weight or constant manipulation along the hairline can cause breakage. [/b]If you’re pulling your hair back in a ponytail, the stress that you’re putting on your edges can eventually cause traction alopecia. Also, my hair is also definitely thinner around my edges in the front."
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by SeanT21(f): 4:25am On Dec 21, 2009
My hairdresser hairline is horrible. I was like DAMN. I wanna keep mine intact.
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by mohawkchic(f): 4:46am On Dec 21, 2009
~You best hope she aint looking for new recruits to join the club of "Damaged Hairlines" cheesy
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by SeanT21(f): 5:05am On Dec 21, 2009
I am investigating her. LOL. cheesy
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by chika98: 5:07am On Dec 21, 2009
Don't keep your hair for too long! I see some chics keep their hair for weeks! 2weeks or 3 max! Take that stuff out and like they said, make sure they aren't tugging on your hair. Don't use hair bond also. not a good look
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by chiogo(f): 5:08am On Dec 21, 2009
mohawkchic:

~You best hope she aint looking for new recruits to join the club of "Damaged Hairlines" cheesy

LOL

I know pulling too hard at braids does damage the hairline.
Also not moisturizing it enough.
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by Nobody: 5:13am On Dec 21, 2009
SeanT21:

My hairdresser hairline is horrible. I was like DAMN. I wanna keep mine intact.
LOL shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked That should be enough sigh.
If she couldnt tell her hairdresser[if she aint her own hairdresser] how to take care of her edges, dnt think she'll be able to take same preventive measures for you.
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by SeanT21(f): 5:16am On Dec 21, 2009
FL Gators:

LOL shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked That should be enough sigh.
If she couldnt tell her hairdresser[if she aint her own hairdresser] how to take care of her edges, dnt think she'll be able to take same preventive measures for you.

That's why I am asking. She don't give me any advice. Ill be damned if mine end up like hers.
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by ebinom(f): 5:30pm On Dec 24, 2009
too much tight ponytails can damage hairlines also.i try to do ponytails some days(and not very tight) and other days i just wash and go and let it air dry.
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by iice(f): 6:35am On Dec 27, 2009
Ok i wear braids for 2 months or so. Quite lazy to take it off and do it. . .i know i should just keep it for a few weeks but the stress sef. That's why i opted to have it straightened for a year and stay off braids, but now i want to let the hair rest off chemicals and braid it again. . .and i do alot of pony tails. . .or rather chignons. . but so far so good, haven't been losing my hairline.
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by madlady(f): 10:25am On Dec 27, 2009
iice:

Ok i wear braids for 2 months or so. Quite lazy to take it off and do it. . .i know i should just keep it for a few weeks but the stress sef. That's why i opted to have it straightened for a year and stay off braids, but now i want to let the hair rest off chemicals and braid it again. . .and i do alot of pony tails. . .or rather chignons. . but so far so good, haven't been losing my hairline.

Ditto to the 1st part. Thinking of straighting undecided, so tired of the hot tongs (too many burns, even on shoulder) but may just go for the chop.

Hairline fine so far, I do not do the front that tight, i think, but the mother of headaches this time.

I think one way to keep hairline intact would be to avoid braiding the hairline continuously.
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by Sissy3(f): 8:47pm On Dec 27, 2009
iice:

Ok i wear braids for 2 months or so. Quite lazy to take it off and do it. . .i know i should just keep it for a few weeks but the stress sef. [b]That's why i opted to have it straightened for a year [/b]and stay off braids, but now i want to let the hair rest off chemicals and braid it again. . .and i do alot of pony tails. . .or rather chignons. . but so far so good, haven't been losing my hairline.

is it with flat iron or chemical strengthening like the Japanese or Brazilian ones?
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by iice(f): 4:01am On Dec 28, 2009
Sissy, it was chemical straightening. . .the japanese type.
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by chika98: 5:35am On Dec 28, 2009
iice:

Oh I've haven't heard about it before. Can you tell me more?
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by iice(f): 5:46am On Dec 28, 2009
Na long process, especially if you have long hair or plenty hair.
They first put the straightening chemicals. . .then when it sets, they use a flat iron to straighten the hair, small patch by small patch coz we have really curly hair.  Then a bonding chemical is added and when that sets, they iron the hair again.  Then its good to go.  You can't wash or tie the hair for 3 days and then after that you can only use conditioner and a very mild shampoo to wash it for a week.  The hair will last well till your roots starts growing out.  Even then, only the roots will be curly and the rest will still be straight. You can only do it every 6 months. But even then, it's advisable to let the hair rest because chemicals can be harsh.
The first time i did it. . .it took me about 8hours grin My bum! tongue But it was worth it jare.  Didn't have to stress about combing the darn thing.
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by oyinda3(f): 5:50am On Dec 28, 2009
so far, my hairline is ok. but i want to get single braids and i'm scared for my hairline.  any advice?  undecided

@ iice, wow shocked what's the difference between that and regular relaxer? relaxer doesn't get your hair straight enough or what?
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by chika98: 5:53am On Dec 28, 2009
iice:

Na long process, especially if you have long hair or plenty hair.
They first put the straightening chemicals. . .then when it sets, they use a flat iron to straighten the hair, small patch by small patch coz we have really curly hair.  Then a bonding chemical is added and when that sets, they iron the hair again.  Then its good to go.  You can't wash or tie the hair for 3 days and then after that you can only use conditioner and a very mild shampoo to wash it for a week.  The hair will last well till your roots starts growing out.  Even then, only the roots will be curly and the rest will still be straight. You can only do it every 6 months. But even then, it's advisable to let the hair rest because chemicals can be harsh.
The first time i did it. . .it took me about 8hours grin My bum! tongue But it was worth it jare.  Didn't have to stress about combing the darn thing.

Now does this cost an arm and a leg? Sounds like it. What is this "procedure" called?
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by Sissy3(f): 6:12am On Dec 28, 2009
iice:

okie! how long does yours usually last? wanted to get it done before either that one or the brazilian type but kinda brushed it off

@ oyinda

as long as the front edges are not braided too tight and you dont carry it for too long
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by iice(f): 6:34am On Dec 28, 2009
oyinda.:

@ iice, wow shocked what's the difference between that and regular relaxer? relaxer doesn't get your hair straight enough or what?
Erhh not sure the difference since i've never used relaxer before. Never permed my hair. As a child when i looked at women's hair. . .it looked like coconut husk to me, so i stayed off. My brothers were like, don't come home with that kind yama yama hair grin Anyway, it is permanent so even when you wash it or something, you don't really need to keep ironing it to look straight.

~Sissy~:

okie! how long does yours usually last? wanted to get it done before either that one or the brazilian type but kinda brushed it off

Well about after 3 weeks, my roots come out and by 2 months it's already long, but thats only the roots. . .the tips will still remain straight till you cut it off. The problem though is taking care of the hair afterwards. Due to the chemicals, you have to be careful with the hair or it will break. . well that is after the 2nd time. Hence my reason for taking time off right now.

chika98:

Now does this cost an arm and a leg? Sounds like it. What is this "procedure" called?

Erhh depends grin On hair, it's definitely an expense (my only splurge with my hair) and depending on the length of hair. Thermal reconditioning (Japanese one) or Keratin Treatment or Brazilian Blow (brazilian) Though, the brazilian one has milder chemicals so it's not so harsh on the hair.
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by chika98: 8:18am On Dec 28, 2009
Iice: I really think it sounds rather "harsh" on the hair. Pretty expensive too as you haven't really told me the price. . well the ball park that is cheesy
Although I must say that the outcome does sound nice but I don't know about it. I'd google it for more information as I'd never heard about it.
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by iice(f): 9:37am On Dec 28, 2009
It is harsh on the hair.  My motivation was the combing thing.  I'm not so particular about my hair.  Besides i've done harsher things.  Bleached it several times (at home grin), streaked it a couple of times too.  And i tend to chop off my hair once in a while, so i wanted to keep my hair for a while and not worry about combing it.  Yup it looks really good.  I kept getting the 'are you wearing a weave? shocked' (coz all my friends know i've never worn one or even permed the hair.)  But it's time to chop it off and braid again. . .
Re: Keeping Your Hairline Intact by chika98: 9:44am On Dec 28, 2009
I think I will keep away from this thermal conditioning. Thanks for letting me know about it though. We learn new things everyday!

(1) (Reply)

50% Discount! Latest Fashion Accessories & Fine Jewelry For Girls/Ladies/Women / Tomford Transparent Glasses / Please Who Knows Where I Can Get This Type Of Braids Wig Or The Extension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.