Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,081 members, 7,957,029 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 05:17 AM

Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian (1633 Views)

I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up / Nurse Under Fire After Taking Selfie With Unclad Pregnant Lady In The Background / How To Build A Successful Career As A Data Scientist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian by DateMynd44(m): 11:10am On Mar 21, 2017
I'll be 27 years this year and I'll opt for this year's jamb and chose library and information sciences.

though i dropped out from the university at the age of 20 in my third year ( due to health related issues)

ever since, I've been on self enterprise and hustling for survival but things ain't really working perfectly with the meagre stipends i earn.

I don't wanna get stranded in my 30's and it's always egregious and bizzare whenever I realize I don't have a Bsc at my age ( it's always depressing an keeps me in a state of despondency).

with my supportive parents by my side on this resilient mission.
I'll wanna opt for a career in the library cadre so I'm being compelled to ask and research for info about the course/profession.

is it really lucrative?

how much do they pay graduate librarians?

is it feasible that after graduation I could be retained as a graduate librarian in the institution I graduated from?

what's the feasibility of graduating with a first class? hope the course isn't voluminous and broad

lastly if I'm admitted this year by God's grace I'll be around 30/31 when I graduate and the ridiculous employment criterion that employers set as desiderata for employees hope it won't Dampen my chances cos I'll be 30 as a fresh graduate.

any librarian or guidance counselor or career forte adviser pls help me outta my apprehensiveness
cc Kingrex1
moneyfem
Obioji
et al

thanks cos ya contributions would certainly go a long way in helping me out
Re: Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian by KingRex1(m): 11:54am On Mar 21, 2017
Well I can't really say, your passion for it can turn things around nd favour u big time.

But being realistic, in Nigeria today I don't see how library science can make you a wealthy comfortable man if not at international level. Well, like I said it all boils down to ur passion..you can attain any height with a good deal of it.

Notwithstanding, many corporations and firms seek Young graduates irrespective of ur course of study
Re: Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian by obioji(f): 1:42pm On Mar 21, 2017
DateMynd44:
I'll be 27 years this year and I'll opt for this year's jamb and chose library and information sciences.

though i dropped out from the university at the age of 20 in my third year ( due to health related issues)

ever since, I've been on self enterprise and hustling for survival but things ain't really working perfectly with the meagre stipends i earn.

I don't wanna get stranded in my 30's and it's always egregious and bizzare whenever I realize I don't have a Bsc at my age ( it's always depressing an keeps me in a state of despondency).

with my supportive parents by my side on this resilient mission.
I'll wanna opt for a career in the library cadre so I'm being compelled to ask and research for info about the course/profession.

is it really lucrative?

how much do they pay graduate librarians?

is it feasible that after graduation I could be retained as a graduate librarian in the institution I graduated from?

what's the feasibility of graduating with a first class? hope the course isn't voluminous and broad

lastly if I'm admitted this year by God's grace I'll be around 30/31 when I graduate and the ridiculous employment criterion that employers set as desiderata for employees hope it won't Dampen my chances cos I'll be 30 as a fresh graduate.

any librarian or guidance counselor or career forte adviser pls help me outta my apprehensiveness
cc Kingrex1
moneyfem
Obioji
et al

thanks cos ya contributions would certainly go a long way in helping me out

Hi,

Do you have passion for the profession?

If you want to work with a university library in Nigeria as a graduate you MUST possess the following:

1) B.sc certificate
2) M.sc
3) Registered member of LCRN
4) publications

Also, plan to get your PHD

But with your B.sc you can work in law firms as their librarian, Media houses etc.
Some organizations like KPMG and research institutes ask for M.sc.
Re: Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian by DateMynd44(m): 5:25pm On Mar 21, 2017
obioji:

Hi,

Do you have passion for the profession?

If you want to work with a university library in Nigeria as a graduate you MUST possess the following:

1) B.sc certificate
2) M.sc
3) Registered member of LCRN
4) publications

Also, plan to get your PHD

But with your B.sc you can work in law firms as their librarian, Media houses etc.
Some organizations like KPMG and research institutes ask for M.sc.

thanks ma'am for the prompt feedback.

like Kingrex1 stated earlier that my passion could certainly go a long way in culminating me to the zenith of success in this profession. so I'll say YES I have this fervid enthusiasm for the course and my preeminent priority is to attain a first class degree... since the passion is burning inside of me then I guess I'm treading the right path to success in this field...

u also said something about PHD..
pls can u adumbrate on this PHD... how many years of research do u think I'll spend on this PHD studies?

Those library attendants and workers I used to see at my former institution's library, do they use Bsc and what's Their salary scale like?

lastly are u a librarian?
Re: Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian by obioji(f): 9:26pm On Mar 21, 2017
DateMynd44:

like Kingrex1 stated earlier that my passion could certainly go a long way in culminating me to the zenith of success in this profession. so I'll say YES I have this fervid enthusiasm for the course and my preeminent priority is to attain a first class degree... since the passion is burning inside of me then I guess I'm treading the right path to success in this field...

pls can u adumbrate on this PHD... how many years of research do u think I'll spend on this PHD studies?

Those library attendants and workers I used to see at my former institution's library, do they use Bsc and what's Their salary scale like?

With dedication and a good supervisor 3 1/2 - 4yrs for PHD. ASSU Strike free

Those ones are library officers- depending on the level- Ond/HND are Junior staff. They can not make decision for the library, lecture students(on use of library and also teach potential librarians the course) They can not grow to the level of becoming a university librarian.

Librarian? Yes
Re: Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian by DateMynd44(m): 9:39pm On Mar 21, 2017
obioji:

With dedication and a good supervisor 3 1/2 - 4yrs for PHD. ASSU Strike free

Those ones are library officers- depending on the level- Ond/HND are Junior staff. They can not make decision for the library, lecture students(on use of library and also teach potential librarians the course) They can not grow to the level of becoming a university librarian.

Librarian? Yes
thanks so much ma. you've really spurred my vigour and boost my morale by dispensing the vital, crucial and imperative informations I needed.

I'm already on my way to register jamb this year.

course - Library and Information Sciences.
institution - University of Benin.

may God see me through.

but one thing gets me bothered an I wish I could share with u so u may give some soothing words of encouragement and dispel my fears..

my advance age (sad) I feel like it's gonna barricade me and end me in a mirage.

1 Like

Re: Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian by veekid(m): 7:10am On Mar 22, 2017
Keep it real

4 Likes

Re: Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian by rheether(f): 7:11am On Mar 22, 2017
You are finished.
Re: Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian by obioji(f): 4:14pm On Mar 22, 2017
[quote author=DateMynd44 post=54817356] thanks so much ma. you've really spurred my vigour and boost my morale by dispensing the vital, crucial and imperative informations I needed.

I'm already on my way to register jamb this year.

course - Library and Information Sciences.
institution - University of Benin.

may God see me through.

but one thing gets me bothered an I wish I could share with u so u may give some soothing words of encouragement and dispel my fears..

my advance age (sad) I feel like it's gonna barricade me and end me in a mirage.[/qoute]

Commit your plans to God, trust him to bring you to an expected end!
Re: Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian by DateMynd44(m): 6:22pm On Mar 22, 2017
veekid:
Keep it real
yes o boss.

I need to keep it real o(in shaggy's voice) make man no come dey stranded in the future so make Owu no come rubbish me and my children abeg.

what's up man?
Re: Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian by veekid(m): 6:33pm On Mar 22, 2017
DateMynd44:
yes o boss.

I need to keep it real o(in shaggy's voice) make man no come dey stranded in the future so make Owu no come rubbish me and my children abeg.

what's up man?

Well said bro
Re: Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian by StupidYorubaFool: 7:44am On Mar 23, 2017
rheether:
You are finished.
when will this old and rotten ashawo get sense na

Re: Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian by Nobody: 8:45am On Mar 23, 2017
DateMynd44:

You'll find great advice on this thread; you'll just need to connect the dots.

By the way, I like your choice of words; I've just learnt a new word, thanks to you

Cheers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Considering Taking Up A Career As A Librarian by Fortune212(m): 2:24pm On Mar 23, 2017
What if i show you how to Become Self Employed today!!!
Discover the secrets to wealth and Happiness
No special skills are needed!
Over 20 lucrative Internet businesses you can start now and you become financially free for life
Call me today on 08141539562 for more info

(1) (Reply)

Build A Solid Career In The Real Estate Industry With This Juicy Offer / Graduate Of SLT, Where Do You Work? / Nigerian Navy Basic Training Service Batch 17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.