Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot (728 Views)

SGF: How Fashola Was Schemed Out / Impeachment Plot Against Governor Aliyu Stopped / How Fashola Looted N402bn Lagos Funds - Elombah.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot by AloyEmeka9: 6:45am On Dec 21, 2009
How Fashola survived impeachment plot
By Lekan Fadeyi, Assistant News Editor

• Automatic ticket for second term threatened

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/dec/19/402.html

It has emerged that members of the Lagos State House of Assembly actually collated signatures to sack Governor Babatunde Fashola after seven impeachable offences were allegedly established against him days after he and the Action Congress (AC) denied any infighting in the party.

A source at the Alausa seat of power in the state said the signature collation followed months of complaints that Fashola was going it alone without carrying along the Assembly and the party chieftains, who are said to be upset at the man for not oiling the AC machinery as expected of a loyal party man.

The source said the Assemblymen had complained to former Governor, Bola Tinubu, that Fashola was not carrying them along, and were told to exercise restraints, as their grievances would be addressed.

Saturday Independent was further informed that “Tinubu also told them of his frustration with the man on many fronts. However, he promised to talk to him. I can confirm to you that the former Governor once came to the Round House and he almost wept. He asked the man in charge what his offences were to deserve some treatments being meted to him.

“At a time, it became clear that the man (Fashola) would not be moved and the other camp had to go back to Tinubu. It is believed that the man told them to look into the books and see what they can do. He reportedly told them that no governor can be so careful as not to commit any impeachable offence. Eventually, they got at least seven impeachable offences. Add that to complaints that Fashola was not implementing the party’s manifesto and the problem becomes compounded.

“Funny enough, one of them was said to have leaked the compilation of list of offences and the signature strength to Fashola, who reportedly became jittery and came to the realisation that he had gone too far. He settled with the Assembly immediately, and has agreed to listen to them to avoid further trouble.”

The source refused to divulge any of the impeachable offences, but said the Governor’s adversaries had planned to rally public opinion behind them by citing his alleged refusal to listen to the party on key policy issues, particularly those the masses say impose hardship rather than comfort on them.

Alausa continues to deny that any rift ever existed between Fashola and his predecessor. A statement by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Opeyemi Bamidele, last week said “Tinubu has never mounted any pressure on the Governor and government and any such report is mischievous, wicked and malicious. It is also not true that Governor Fashola had twice nearly resigned following illicit demands and indecent pressure and harassment on him.”

This paper was, however, reliably informed that the conflict between both men may have polarised the party.

Some party chieftains are not happy with Fashola “because they believe he hardly respects them. In fact, top party men, including a deputy chairman, are wondering how Fashola will be giving them a month’s appointment just because they want to see him. They don’t find it funny. One of them even complained of the Governor delaying him for one hour, and at the end of the day he didn’t see him. This is considered unacceptable,” a source volunteered.

Asked what the thinking is ahead of the 2011 poll, the source said nothing is certain yet, but that the appearance at the AC Convention last weekend of the Democratic Peoples Alliance (DPA) Governorship candidate, Jimi Agbaje, may imply he plans to return to his former party.

“And if that is the case, I can tell you Agbaje enjoys the support of large number of AC members. They were not comfortable with his leaving the party before. And don’t forget, Agbaje was a candidate to beat. Look at his campaigns and the large followings he commanded within a short period. Lagosians will accept him if he replaces Fashola as AC candidate in 2011,” the source concluded.
Re: How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot by Fhemmmy: 6:49am On Dec 21, 2009
How i wish i would know what those impeachable offences were.
Re: How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot by Nobody: 7:01am On Dec 21, 2009
In as much as fashola is doing well in lagos,he should not forget his source which we all know.
Re: How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot by AloyEmeka9: 7:06am On Dec 21, 2009
~Bluetooth:

In as much as fashola is doing well in lagos,he should not forget his source which we all know.

Are you threatening him for disobeying the rules of your mafia and helping Nigerian citizens?
Re: How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot by Nobody: 7:10am On Dec 21, 2009
Forget threat.Every politicians have godfathers afterall he was not an independent candidate.
Re: How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot by Fhemmmy: 7:20am On Dec 21, 2009
~Bluetooth:

He will not be the first to come to power and do the right things.
Re: How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot by No2Atheism(m): 7:26am On Dec 21, 2009
~Bluetooth:

Forget threat.Every politicians have godfathers afterall he was not an independent candidate.

I am sorry to say that its mentality like yours that is dragging Nigeria backwards . . .
Re: How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot by Nobody: 8:26am On Dec 21, 2009
The best politicians are those with grassroot support that can get people mobilized for them during election even obama had people canvassing for him.Fashola got the nominated through the influence of tinubu.I actually thought jimi agbaje will get the party nomination but fashola was singlehandedly chosen by tinubu.I'm not in a anyway supporting godfatherism but a party candidate need not go wayward when he get what he wants!
Re: How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot by Kobojunkie: 8:33am On Dec 21, 2009
~Bluetooth:

[size=14pt]The best politicians are those with grassroot support that can get people mobilized for them during election even obama had people canvassing for him.[/size]Fashola got the nominated through the influence of tinubu.I actually thought jimi agbaje will get the party nomination but fashola was singlehandedly chosen by tinubu.I'm not in a anyway supporting godfatherism but a party candidate need not go wayward when he get what he wants!

Now you are talking !!! this is what I was trying to say on another thread.
Re: How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot by ubandire(m): 10:57am On Dec 21, 2009
I knew it will Come to this. When fashola publicly conceded the leadership of the party to the chief thug of lagos state.
Re: How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot by yemmight(m): 11:11am On Dec 21, 2009
Its al about ambitions. 2 loyalists of Tinubu are aspiring and what do you expect? Munire and Ikoforiji. One thing I am sure is that if Tinubu with his plans to field either of these 2 people, I amm sure they are losing Fashola to another party may Labour and BRF will always win.
Re: How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot by dedeike: 11:16am On Dec 21, 2009
Can anyone tell me the difference bw tinubu and chris uba?
Re: How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot by Nobody: 11:39am On Dec 21, 2009
No politician is better than other.Most only go wayward all the line.That makes tinubu berra than chris uba.
Re: How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot by ud4u: 2:25pm On Dec 21, 2009
Tinubu and his so called chieftans should allow Fashola to work.
Re: How Fashola Survived Impeachment Plot by AloyEmeka9: 3:34pm On Dec 21, 2009
They are threatening his 2nd term term ticket because he is doing a good job. PDP will be happy to welcome him only that he is not made like a normal PDP stalwart.

(1) (Reply)

Ecowas Leaders To Replace Yar’adua As Chairman - ‘his Tenure, The Worst Ever’ / Beware Of What You Post On Facebook / Sshh Hush Hush! Coup Planned For 1/10/2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.