Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,673 members, 7,813,243 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

Netherlands Company Introduces Plastic Roads That Are More Durable Than Asphalt - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Netherlands Company Introduces Plastic Roads That Are More Durable Than Asphalt (907 Views)

These 4 Expensive Cars Abandoned On Nigeria Roads Cost 1.2 Billion Naira / 5 Of The World’s Longest Trucks You Will Never See On Nigerian Roads / Nigeria At 57: These Cars Have Rocked Nigerian Roads For The Past 57 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Netherlands Company Introduces Plastic Roads That Are More Durable Than Asphalt by AutoReportNG: 2:39pm On Mar 21, 2017
The Netherlands is already home to the world’s first solar road (or bike lane, technically). Now, the country could soon be the first to use recycled plastic as pavement.

The idea for plastic roads comes from VolkerWessels, a Netherlands-based construction firm. According to the company, plastic roads would be a “virtually maintenance free product” that’s “unaffected by corrosion and the weather.” The roads could handle temperatures as low as -40°F and as high as 176°F. The company says that this hardiness will make the roads’ lifespans three times as long as typical asphalt roads.

[center][img]https://1.bp..com/-Zi2LaDYmGNQ/WNEqA0ouMII/AAAAAAAAI8M/UbceFVIehTYsAMCNb7j-9tvYi8iuiBeygCLcB/s640/plastic%2Broads.jpg[/img][/center]

According to the company, any type of recycled plastic can be used. The main goal, the company says, is to keep plastic out of the oceans.

The idea for plastic roads came after the company took a look at all the different road-related problems cities face, said Simon Jorritsma from InfraLinq, a subdivision of VolkerWessels and KWS Infra that works specifically with asphalt. Those problems included a future where oil — the main component of asphalt — is less available, as well as more immediate problems like flooding and road maintenance.

“For contractors, asphalt is a great and sound product to build roads,” Jorritsma said in an email to ThinkProgress. “However, contractors have to meet more and more demands concerning noise reduction, water permeability, and flatness. These questions and conditions were the inspiration which has led to the idea of the PlasticRoad.”

The company is also hoping to avoid some carbon dioxide emissions by switching asphalt roads to plastic ones. The carbon footprint of asphalt totals 1.6 million tons of carbon dioxide per year, the company says, so using recycled plastic instead could help cut down on some of those emissions.

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/03/netherlands-company-introduces-plastic.html

Watch the video below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROJpjmA_5rs
Re: Netherlands Company Introduces Plastic Roads That Are More Durable Than Asphalt by AutoReportNG: 2:40pm On Mar 21, 2017
How I wish we have people that think like this in Nigeria...

Lalasticlala, Seun
Re: Netherlands Company Introduces Plastic Roads That Are More Durable Than Asphalt by agabaI23(m): 2:52pm On Mar 21, 2017
AutoReportNG:

Lalasticlala, Seun
It has to be another person and not you?

4 Likes

Re: Netherlands Company Introduces Plastic Roads That Are More Durable Than Asphalt by Imoy(m): 3:37pm On Mar 21, 2017
This is good, but hope Africa's especially Nigeria's sun no go melt am?
Re: Netherlands Company Introduces Plastic Roads That Are More Durable Than Asphalt by AutoReportNG: 3:59pm On Mar 21, 2017
Imoy:
This is good, but hope Africa's especially Nigeria's sun no go melt am?

I don't think so, read the article again
Re: Netherlands Company Introduces Plastic Roads That Are More Durable Than Asphalt by Nobody: 4:15pm On Mar 21, 2017
AutoReportNG:

Lalasticlala, Seun
them dey sha its just that....they can only stop at thinking since the govt is realy not science/technology inclined...who can blame the old men....

1 Like

Re: Netherlands Company Introduces Plastic Roads That Are More Durable Than Asphalt by bravolad(m): 9:25pm On Mar 21, 2017
What happens when a car gets burnt on the plastic road? The effect could stretch thousands of kilometres.

Just my thought!

1 Like

Re: Netherlands Company Introduces Plastic Roads That Are More Durable Than Asphalt by Nobody: 10:00pm On Mar 21, 2017
bravolad:
What happens when a car gets burnt on the plastic road? The effect could stretch thousands of kilometres.

Just my thought!

I dey tell you. Even Kano & Maiduguri sun go melt this plastic one time grin

2 Likes

Re: Netherlands Company Introduces Plastic Roads That Are More Durable Than Asphalt by DaimlerBen(m): 8:13am On Mar 22, 2017
bravolad:

Just my thought!

Or if trailer tyre come burst?

(1) (Reply)

BMW E36 318i Transmission Replacement / Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Gets Special Quality Updates / Petrol Vs Diesel – Which Is The More Efficient And Recommended Engine?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.