Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,767 members, 7,809,957 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? (878 Views)

Howard Sueing III Ekundayo: American Man Adopts Nigerian Wife’s Surname / Chinese Man Rocks His Nigerian Wife's Behind At An Event (pics) / Uk-based Nigerian Wife Attacks Husband’s Sidechick With Bleach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by Joromi1: 4:44pm On Mar 21, 2017
I opened this thread to solicit members of this thread for support or advice to women living with cheating partners. Raised by a single mother myself, I understand the plight of motherhood, especially when there is nobody to to for assistance.

By common Nigerian wife, I mean the regular woman with no influence in the society. She may be a housewife, a trader or a working class woman but because she's not very rich and has to rely on her husband for family support, she has to endure and suffer silently in a Nigerian society that is quick to applaud a cheating husband and in the same breath give the thumbs down when a wife does same.

This has discouraged and rendered many women living with cheating partners powerless and unable to protest, more especially the uneducated ones among them. They are either left with the options to endure, sulk, nag or look for ways to attack the husband snatchers. Only a few can muster up courage to walk out of the marriage like my mama; and she took me along because her father in-law supported her.

Sadly, feminism in Nigeria is a comic play. It is mainly in theory and hardly in practice. Only successful women with high profiles and celebrities have the the privilege to speak out and be listened to - and that's because they're richer and more popular than their partners.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5035140_cheatinghusband_jpeg8ad6566c293ecdc8b2510a5f5a105eb6

Lalasticlala, Dominique
Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by ikbnice(m): 5:01pm On Mar 21, 2017
The best thing is to bow out of such marriage. Marriage is never meant for suffering, neglect, cheating etc. It is meant to be enjoyed and not endured.

3 Likes

Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 21, 2017
ikbnice:
The best thing is to bow out of such marriage. Marriage is never meant for suffering, neglect, cheating etc. It is meant to be enjoyed and not endured.
These ones can't bow out of such marriages. They'd rather choose to endure.

The best thing that could happen to any woman is to get an education, make sure you're not solely dependent on your husband. So when he starts sleeping around like a "Dog", you would simply walk out of his life and have nothing to loose.

2 Likes

Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by Aliyeous(m): 5:11pm On Mar 21, 2017
For better or worse till death..... But honestly she has none
Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Mar 21, 2017
ikbnice:

The best thing that could happen to any woman is to get an education, make sure you're not solely dependent on your husband. So when he starts sleeping around like a "Dog", you would simply walk out of his life and have nothing to loose.
Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by ikbnice(m): 5:14pm On Mar 21, 2017
kimbra:

The best thing that could happen to any woman is to get an education, make sure you're not solely dependent on your husband. So when he starts sleeping around like a "Dog", you would simply walk out of his life and have nothing to lose.
This is why a girl should erase that mentality of being someone else property and being use and toss around like rag. Most guys out now are not worth the sacrifice.

2 Likes

Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by nnamdibig(m): 5:35pm On Mar 21, 2017
I society that is quick to applaud a cheating husband.
Where did you get that??
Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Mar 21, 2017
ikbnice:
This is why a girl should erase that mentality of being someone else property and being use and toss around like rag. Most guys out now are not worth the sacrifice.
Exactly!, most get married not knowing what they're getting into and then feel there's always an option to cheat. Anyone that could toy with as sacred as marital vows are, isn't worth calling a man but a boy. So I assume these women ended up marring boys who had the physique of men but were mentally boys.
Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by Akposb(m): 8:12pm On Mar 21, 2017
It's indeed sad and a divorce is permissible in an adulterous union. Not for lack of education but lack of confidence and low self esteem will a woman remain in such a union.
Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by Joromi1: 2:07pm On Mar 22, 2017
nnamdibig:
I society that is quick to applaud a cheating husband.
Where did you get that??
The Nigerian society.

2 Likes

Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Mar 22, 2017
I've thought about it myself and really, it's a difficult decision to make.

Honestly, if Nigerian women were divorcing their husbands because of infidelity, I'm not sure there would be any married couple left.

divorce no be beans and it's only easier if the woman is alot independent, financially and less religious.

Divorce is not easy in Nigeria, especially when kids are involved.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Mar 22, 2017
ikbnice:
You are 100% right lot of useless men out there
Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by ikbnice(m): 8:55pm On Mar 22, 2017
pcguru1:

You are 100% right lot of useless men out there
useless is even an understatement They are shamelessly irresponsible and absolutely useless. The funniest part is they have good partners and that makes one wonder why God allows bad things to happen to good people.
Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by octopusfreaky(f): 9:52pm On Mar 22, 2017
Not all men cheat. I repeat there are still good men out there.
Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by Joromi1: 7:35am On Mar 23, 2017
Joavid:
I've thought about it myself and really, it's a difficult decision to make.

Honestly, if Nigerian women were divorcing their husbands because of infidelity, I'm not sure there would be any married couple left.

divorce no be beans and it's only easier if the woman is alot independent, financially and less religious.

Divorce is not easy in Nigeria, especially when kids are involved.
You made valid points with the emboldened. In fact, I've thought about it myself, with a deep consideration to the children factor (it's easier for a woman to walk away when there are no children) but my worry is for the those who are more like victims than wives to their husbands. The Nigerian system do not frown at cheating husbands but they will quickly crucify a wife for infidelity. What is the hope for them? Are they just going to fold their arms and pretend all is well or cry their eyes out and still do nothing?
Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by Nobody: 8:07am On Mar 23, 2017
There's no hope....the only hope left is to run for your life or do tit for tat smiley
Re: What Hope Is There For The Common Nigerian Wife Married To A Cheating Partner? by Nobody: 9:01am On Mar 23, 2017
Joromi1:

You made valid points with the emboldened. In fact, I've thought about it myself, with a deep consideration to the children factor (it's easier for a woman to walk away when there are no children) but my worry is for the those who are more like victims than wives to their husbands. The Nigerian system do not frown at cheating husbands but they will quickly crucify a wife for infidelity. What is the hope for them? Are they just going to fold their arms and pretend all is well or cry their eyes out and still do nothing?

https://www.nairaland.com/3691205/depressed-wife-needs-urgent-advice#54741029

the victim mentality is the worst to have.
They always need help.

But you see, the world is undergoing a major plot twist. Marriage is slowly being demystified as an ineffective system.

More people than ever are following other routes to seek what biology has enslaved us to.

All it'll take is a higher living standard, and our population will become sane again.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

April Fool: She Told Her Nigerian Mum She Has A 1-year-old Baby, It Was Epic / My Family Is Frustrating Me - Mature Advise Please / Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.