Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Black President In America - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Black President In America (3497 Views)

Poll: Is the US of A ready for a black president?

Yes, maybe: 48% (19 votes)
No: 51% (20 votes)
This poll has ended

Photo Of Bola Tinubu On The 'wall Of Fame' As An Outstanding Alumni In America / President Jonathan Hosts John Mahama, Ghana's President In Port-Hacourt (Photos) / Mammoth Crowd Waiting For Mr President In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black President In America by U1(m): 8:27pm On Jan 21, 2007
Do anyone really see the possibilty of seen a black president in U.S anytime soon?
Re: Black President In America by kenshin(m): 8:46pm On Jan 21, 2007
They have never had a white female president before and we are talking about a black president?
cheesy
Re: Black President In America by McKren(m): 9:28pm On Jan 21, 2007
well there is always a first time u never know.
Re: Black President In America by kenshin(m): 9:31pm On Jan 21, 2007
personally, I don't think America is ready for a black president yet
Re: Black President In America by LadyT(f): 9:33pm On Jan 21, 2007
I hope they never get one. Once you get a balck person there eveyone will be waiting from he/she to fail. Black people have too much bad press and they dont do much to dispel the bad press. You will either get a black presido who is a whitemans puppet or you'll get a black presido who wants to wipe out whites in America.
Re: Black President In America by AmeriNaija(f): 10:43pm On Jan 21, 2007
I think that it is set in American history that before any breakthrough was bestowed on blacks, (white) women were given it first.
Re: Black President In America by kenshin(m): 10:51pm On Jan 21, 2007
AmeriNaija:

I think that it is set in American history that before any breakthrough was bestowed on blacks, (white) women were given it first.

My point precisely! despite America's much hyped gender equality there have been positions that women have not been able to access until now, example they just had their first female Speaker in Congress.
eventually they may have a black president but they still have a long way to go before they get there.
Re: Black President In America by BigB11(m): 5:16am On Jan 22, 2007
Guys, you just never know.

Currently, Americans are desperate and very scared. Believe me, if a black man will ever be an American president at-all, this is the time. These folks are open to changes.

FYI: Have you noticed that Obama is so smart and has never mentioned the word "BLACK" during any of his speeches?

I think he can do it as long as [b]Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson and Farrakhan [/b]stay home.
Re: Black President In America by 4Play(m): 5:28am On Jan 24, 2007
The biggest obstacle to Obama's bid is not actually from Whites but from African Americans.Obama has greater levels of support among White Americans than African Americans.

Obama is not seen as as a proper African American since he is half white and half Kenyan

According to the last ABCNews/Washington Post Poll,Obama enjoys lower levels of support from Blacks than Hillary Clinton,26 points difference
Re: Black President In America by llcoolg05: 1:13pm On Jan 24, 2007
I personally dont think Obama can defeat Hillary if it boils down to them at the democratic primaries. The problem for Obama within the black commnunity is something that he can easily solve. As a black man all is has to do is reach out to the respective black leaders accross the US, and come to an agreement. Americans may be open to changes, but not a change in the color of the face of the presidency. I know that much. Stuff like that can fly in the north, but certainly not in the south.
Re: Black President In America by Easyy(m): 1:21pm On Jan 24, 2007
Big B1:

Guys, you just never know.

Currently, Americans are desperate and very scared. Believe me, if a black man will ever be an American president at-all, this is the time. These folks are open to changes.

Just where did you get that impression from?

Look well beyond newspaper headlines please.
Re: Black President In America by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:29pm On Jan 24, 2007
LadyT:

I hope they never get one. Once you get a balck person there eveyone will be waiting from he/she to fail. Black people have too much bad press and they don't do much to dispel the bad press. You will either get a black presido who is a whitemans puppet or you'll get a black presido who wants to wipe out whites in America.
na wa oo shocked shocked
Re: Black President In America by LadyT(f): 11:57pm On Jan 24, 2007
JosBoy4Lif:

na wa oo shocked shocked

Damn right na wo look at my bloody spelling mistakes and typos!
Re: Black President In America by anton(m): 7:00am On Jan 28, 2007
4 Play:

Obama is not seen as as a proper African American since he is half white and half Kenyan

Posh. Plain and simple. Obama is a mullato and definately AA to the core. Born and bred.

I also take umption with this "half white and half kenyan" nonsense. Do you mean half American and half Kenyan? Or do you mean half white and half black? He is merely looked upon as another high class negro that grew up around white folks if you want to get technical. Only the media harps on the fact that his Dad is from Kenya. Every black who has sense in his head understands that to the whites, he is just another nigger and will be treated as such if he does not play his cards right. Also, show a little political astuteness in recognizing that Barack is not really creating a new political identity based on the fact that his Dad is a Continental. He still refects the primary identity of a Black Politician, he is just sharp enough to avoid the pitfalls that have hamstrung the Three Stooges mentioned earlier (J S F) (^_^).

I think it cool that he is riding the media induced, so-called "disassociation" from mainstream Blackness, but remember to look hard and see that he is hardly different from any other upper class black, mullato or otherwise.

Furthermore, polls don't mean Sweet Honey Iced Tea except to shape opinion, not reflect it. Currently he is reaching out to the Who's Who of the Upper Crust of American Blacks to build his warchest and I think he will do fine (exceedingly well, in fact) if he can finally reach out to the real power players of Black America and began to integrate them into the political process instead of the same old tired NAACP negros.

Clinton is only riding the wave of good association with her jazz playin, chicken eatin', Haiti invadin', Bilderburger, Trilateral Husband. Fact. She has no real basis of support from Black America.

If Obama can secure support from that upper crust, it's over. Damn what you think or your petty opinions. Cause then all he got to do is get on the chitlin circuit and hit up the Black Belt churches with that 'christian talk'. Memories of MLK will wash over America (and maybe the world). Then, it'll really be over. Know Dat. (and I don't even like the man.(^_^), but I'll help him win.)

Let's say he does get elected. . . now think of the boost that the AU 6th Region will get. shocked shocked shocked Wow. . . so many variables to factor in. . . cool
Re: Black President In America by anton(m): 7:33am On Jan 28, 2007
LadyT:

I hope they never get one. Once you get a balck person there eveyone will be waiting from he/she to fail.

Lord. . . grow up anytime now, Brit. I have yet to hear Blacks from anywhere say "I hope the Blacks in the UK never get a PM." Gosh, I was really taken aback by that. Oh well, remind me to mail your IHOH card. That's Internation House of Haters for the uninitiated. STOP HATIN'! kiss As far as "everyone" else goes, waiting for us to fail (Oh no! tongue) there is an interesting trend that occured with several fortune 100 companies that ran into major trouble. When Shit get bad, they hire a black ceo. Every time that has happened, not only where the major problems solved but the company made a stellar comeback. Interesting and rather curious. Well, not really.

LadyT:

Black people have too much bad press and they don't do much to dispel the bad press.

Um, are you Black?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . kiss lipsrsealed

Even better: Are you working to dispel the "bad press"?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . tongue lipsrsealed

LadyT:

You will either get a black presido who is a whitemans puppet or you'll get a black presido who wants to wipe out whites in America.

I certainly agree with the former although I don't think Obama is the kind of political creature that will allow himself to be comprimised and, subsequently, controlled. However, as "CEO" (used loosely, of course) of the U.S.A., there are a number of forces that he will find himself beholden too. This is the case will all democratic leaders.

As far as the latter goes, "a black presido who wants to wipe out whites in America". . . Well, anybody who makes it that far and actually attains the presidentcy. . . let's just say I'll feel sorry for the whites (^_^). Realisticly however, that will probably never be the case, even after a long line of Black Presidents. Most folks who want to "wipe out whites in America" are not 1) smart enough to create capacity that goes in hand with the intent, 2) politically astute enough to garner the neccesary support the attain a mayorship, nevermind the Presidentcy, and 3) develope the nessecary alliancies with other races in the country to create a majority body that can shift power from the whites.

Also, let's realize that America is a business and the government is the biggest business. You don't get to the top unless you have major business behind you and right now, that is not even a reality for the total Black Politic, nevermind the "kill yt" portion of it.

Sooooo. . . yes, I'm back in Politics. . . Holla!
Re: Black President In America by kimba(m): 10:07am On Jan 28, 2007
Ok guys, lets vote:

Obama or Hillary.

Re: Black President In America by Chyy(f): 4:28pm On Jan 28, 2007
Please for God's sake, this whites do they have two heads?
Sure they don't, we taught them what they know, what is Bush without Rice, if he can let him retrench her, no i hate it when people especially blacks think the whites are better. Better in what, see am a female engineer, how many white girls read, they wear pants and bra and run the catwalk. I believe if the Americans what a total turn around and improvement in their economy, OBAMA IS IT.
Re: Black President In America by oyinboaja: 10:05pm On Jan 28, 2007
na wa oh
Re: Black President In America by slimnike(m): 5:35am On Jan 29, 2007
I do not think there will be a black president for America atleast for the now. Because Senator Barak Obama is already being called a terrorist by the white folks there in America.
Re: Black President In America by kenshin(m): 5:51pm On Jan 29, 2007
slimnike:

I do not think there will be a black president for America atleast for the now. Because Senator Barak Obama is already being called a terrorist by the white folks there in America.

There must be something in a name after all, grin grin grin grin
Re: Black President In America by anton(m): 7:05pm On Jan 31, 2007
Chyy:

Please for God's sake, this whites do they have two heads?
Sure they don't, we taught them what they know, what is Bush without Rice, if he can let him retrench her, no i hate it when people especially blacks think the whites are better. Better in what, see am a female engineer, how many white girls read, they wear pants and bra and run the catwalk. I believe if the Americans what a total turn around and improvement in their economy, OBAMA IS IT.

That is very true. Another thing to realize is just how diverse his family. This guy could become the new face of the melting, the Next All American Guy. Family member from several different cultures making him not only a simple of diversity (hack, vomit) but he also married a black american which connects him to the plight and hope of disadvanged people in the country. This guy might take it.

slimnike:

There is no way the media, whether liberal or conservative, can make that really stick as the campaign progresses. The terminology as your using it is silly. Do you mean terrorist or the other vague term: islamist? Even if he did go to a madrasah (spelling), then that would obviously asset now, if he can meanuvear around the fact that he accepted "christ" not long ago. He could be the poster child for tolerance and understanding and cultural tolerance to Indonesia. Such a move would defianetely be advantageous to both the US (major pacified in war on terror:Indonesia), indonesian business types and moderates, and the bastids who invaded the Dreaming Land (australians for you dimwits).

But i don't see how they can attack obama while he is the darling. unless he is just stupid and timid which a lot og black politicans here are.
Re: Black President In America by rikkyjen(m): 7:12pm On Jan 31, 2007
slimnike:

Truly,some whites thinks he he may have symphathy for terrorism simply becos he spent a year or two in a madrassa( islamic skool of fundamentalism) in Indonesia which is known as the world's most populated islamic country. But his critics are dumbasses,the guy was there in his infancy age,prolly he can't remember nada from the things he was taught! undecided
Re: Black President In America by IykeD1(m): 10:23pm On Jan 31, 2007
Not happening, at least not in 2008. He won't make it pass the primaries.

I like him personally, but I think its much too soon for him to be running for
president. His opponents will highlight his inexperience when the time comes.

Folks, things have changed but don't underestimate this thing called skin
color in America! He may not poll highly among African Americans now, but if
miraculously he survives the primary, they will vote overwhelmingly for him.

Realistically, if he plays his card right, he might end up as the first black VP of
the US. Many could live with that thought at this point in time - that is he is #2,
not #1.
Re: Black President In America by sharetroll(m): 11:34pm On Jan 31, 2007
I actually like Obama. As a republican (not a uber right wing conservative), but a moderate conservative, I think he has a good head on his shoulders and has some very good views on the geopolitical landscape that we are facing today. He has a tough road ahead of him but I think I would vote for him over 75 percent of the GOP's throwing their name in the hat to date.
Re: Black President In America by 4Play(m): 11:37pm On Jan 31, 2007
@sharetroll

Which kind of conservative are u?Obama has a voting record in Congress that marks him out as one of the most liberal members of Congress

If u are looking for a true conservative in the race,u have the likes of Mitt Romney and Sen Brownbach
Re: Black President In America by sharetroll(m): 11:40pm On Jan 31, 2007
4 Play:

@sharetroll

Which kind of conservative are u?Obama has a voting record in Congress that marks him out as one of the most liberal members of Congress

If u are looking for a true conservative in the race,u have the likes of Mitt Romney and Sen Brownbach

You are too gullible to catch the irony.
Re: Black President In America by 4Play(m): 11:45pm On Jan 31, 2007
@Sharetroll

My bad.I have to stop my habit of commenting before reading
Re: Black President In America by sharetroll(m): 11:50pm On Jan 31, 2007
4 Play:

@Sharetroll

My bad.I have to stop my habit of commenting before reading

Don't let it happen again.
Re: Black President In America by sharetroll(m): 11:54pm On Jan 31, 2007
Iyke-D:

Not happening, at least not in 2008. He won't make it pass the primaries.

I like him personally, but I think its much too soon for him to be running for
president. His opponents will highlight his inexperience when the time comes.

Folks, things have changed but don't underestimate this thing called skin
color in America! He may not poll highly among African Americans now, but if
miraculously he survives the primary, they will vote overwhelmingly for him.

Realistically, if he plays his card right, he might end up as the first black VP of
the US. Many could live with that thought at this point in time - that is he is #2,
not #1.

Just read his book "The Audacity of Hope" and you will understand why people are behind him. And one of the major reasons why he's getting support -- he hasn't been entrenched in the mountain of BS that is Washington politics.
Re: Black President In America by 4Play(m): 12:05am On Feb 01, 2007
I heard the Clinton campaign was behind the madrassa story in which he was alleged to have attended a madrassa in Indonesia .

The honest truth is, that the fact that he is black or half black has actually helped his campaign.He is riding a wave of support owing to the fact that many in the country are eager to see a black person run for President.

This does not deny that he is intelligent and just as qualified as many others in the race or that there are equally many people in the country who detest the idea of a black man in the White House

However Obama would not have been this popular if he was just another White politician with the same qualifications and experience or lack of one
Re: Black President In America by sharetroll(m): 12:35am On Feb 01, 2007
4 Play:

I heard the Clinton campaign was behind the madrassa story in which he was alleged to have attended a madrassa in Indonesia .

He is not as serious a candidate as the media leads you to believe.  Right now he is just a hot topic.  Everyone knows it is going to be Hillary for the Dem.

4 Play:

The honest truth is, that the fact that he is black or half black has actually helped his campaign.He is riding a wave of support owing to the fact that many in the country are eager to see a black person run for President.

His goal this election isn't so much as winning, but it is to build his name so he will have a legit shot in eight years.

4 Play:

This does not deny that he is intelligent and just as qualified as many others in the race or that there are equally many people in the country who detest the idea of a black man in the White House

He was near the top of his class in Harvard Law and was part auther or editor of the Harvard Law Review.  Needless to say he is a very smart man.

4 Play:

However Obama would not have been this popular if he was just another White politician with the same qualifications and experience or lack of one

True.
Re: Black President In America by IykeD1(m): 12:58am On Feb 01, 2007
You guys are underestimating racism in American politics. Yes, he is a great and
smart guy and represents the face of future politics in the US. The media loves him,
but elections and the issue of race is an entirely different matter - remember Harold
Ford of Tennesse?

Its just not happening. Its the same media that is building him up that will tear him
apart later. It wasn't by sheer mistake or coincidence that CNN, AP, FOX are confusing
Obama for Osama, or debunking the Madrassas (sp) issue - its just a taste of what
to come. Politics is a mean mean business.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Picture Of Two Senators Sleeping On Duty / Judge Tells Sanusi To Stop Parading Suspects In The Media / Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.