Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,824 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? (1687 Views)

Man Posts Bottle Of Beer And Bible Verse To Justify His Drink (Photo) / What Is Your Best Bible Verse? / Which Bible Verse Is The Most Quoted By People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by izzou(m): 11:31am On Mar 23, 2017
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking

Matthew 6:7 (KJV)

Personally, I think Jesus was trying to say we should have more faith in our prayers than words.

But when I attend prayer meetings and a point is raised, after praying for like 8 minutes, the pastor will say something like "it's like you people don't understand the prayer point. Open your mouth and pray again" angry

I really want to hear other people's views about prayer pertaining to the quoted verse.

Please

cc:OAM4J
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by felixomor: 11:37am On Mar 23, 2017
izzou:
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking

Personally, I think Jesus was trying to say we should have more faith in our prayers than words.

But when I attend prayer meetings and a point is raised, after praying for like 8 minutes, the pastor will say something like "it's like you people don't understand the prayer point. Open your mouth and pray again" angry

I really want to hear other people's views about prayer pertaining to the quoted verse.

Please

There is difference between "vain' repetitions and persistence in prayer.
One is show off, which the Pharisees were guilty of and some people still are guilty of.
While the other comes from the state of your spirit.

The bible also mentions people who persisted in prayer.

It all depends on the motive of the human heart which Jesus sees.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by izzou(m): 11:40am On Mar 23, 2017
felixomor:

There is difference between "vain' repetitions and persistence in prayer.
One is show off, which the Pharisees were guilty of and some people still are guilty of.
While the other comes from the state of your spirit.

The bible also mentions people who persisted in prayer.

It all depends on the motive of the human heart which Jesus sees.

Okay
So if I am praying and I start saying "Heavenly Father,bless me this year", and I repeat this line for the next 5 minutes, is it vain repetitions or persistence in prayer

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by Thepasserby(m): 11:42am On Mar 23, 2017
izzou:

Please

You have already given yourself the answer. I just want you to know that the kingdom of God is built on principles. There is what I call consistency in the place of prayer.

Elijah after telling Ahab to o and wait for rain, went to the mountain top and prayed until there was a visible appearance of a cloud. It was not because he had little faith but the matter at hand required him to wait upon God.

The verse you quoted was spoken by Jesus yet he himself had to pray three times for the cup of suffering to pass over him. It is good to have faith but it is even better to pray until something happens.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by izzou(m): 11:44am On Mar 23, 2017
Thepasserby:

You have already given yourself the answer. I just want you to know that the kingdom of God is built on principles. There is what I call consistency in the place of prayer.

Elijah after telling Ahab to o and wait for rain, went to the mountain top and prayed until there was a visible appearance of a cloud. It was not because he had little faith but the matter at hand required him to wait upon God.

The verse you quoted was spoken by Jesus yet he himself had to pray three times for the cup of suffering to pass over him. It is good to have faith but it is even better to pray until something happens.

It's getting clearer small small
cool
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by felixomor: 11:45am On Mar 23, 2017
izzou:

Okay
So if I am praying and I start saying "Heavenly Father,bless me this year", and I repeat this line for the next 5 minutes, is it vain repetitions or persistence in prayer

Then u may have to check your connection with the Holy Spirit. (Permit my language)
U seem to be very concerned about vocabulary.
Rather than the promptings of the Spirit.....

Yes the Spirit may sometimes prompt verbal repetitions from within.

Remember,
Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by izzou(m): 11:48am On Mar 23, 2017
felixomor:

Then u may have to check your connection with the Holy Spirit. (Permit my language)
U seem to be very concerned about vocabulary.
Rather than the promptings of the Spirit.....

Yes the Spirit may sometimes prompt verbal repetitions from within.

Remember,
Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

You haven't explained what Jesus actually meant still?
What was Jesus trying to say? That's my question
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by felixomor: 11:50am On Mar 23, 2017
izzou:

You haven't explained what Jesus actually meant still?
What was Jesus trying to say? That's my question

Check my first post.
I have.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by izzou(m): 11:52am On Mar 23, 2017
felixomor:

Check my first post.
I have.

"For they think they can be heard for their much speaking"

This statement speaks a lot. Can you explain this please?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by mejai(m): 11:55am On Mar 23, 2017
as human, if someone requested for something and kept on repeating it to ur hearing continuously.... I tell u u may want to spank him/her.
How much more God, the kind thunder wey He go fire u for repeating ur prayers over and over again still dey Malachi's junction.

P.S. d first comment answered u well.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by izzou(m): 11:58am On Mar 23, 2017
mejai:
as human, if someone requested for something and kept on repeating it to ur hearing continuously.... I tell u u may want to spank him/her.
How much more God, the kind thunder wey He go fire u for repeating ur prayers over and over again still dey Malachi's junction.

P.S. d first comment answered u well.

angry grin grin
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by felixomor: 12:13pm On Mar 23, 2017
izzou:

"For they think they can be heard for their much speaking"

This statement speaks a lot. Can you explain this please?

They place emphasis on prayer vocabulary just like you are doing.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by izzou(m): 1:32pm On Mar 23, 2017
felixomor:

They place emphasis on prayer vocabulary just like you are doing.

angry angry angry angry
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Mar 23, 2017
izzou:

Please

The word vain means “empty” or “useless”; so Jesus is warning us that repeating worthless phrases in our prayers will not help them be heard by God. Our Heavenly Father is not concerned with word count, flowery expressions, or mantras; He desires “truth in the inward being” ( Psalm 51:6, ESV ).

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by izzou(m): 2:37pm On Mar 23, 2017
Junia:

The word vain means “empty” or “useless”; so Jesus is warning us that repeating worthless phrases in our prayers will not help them be heard by God. Our Heavenly Father is not concerned with word count, flowery expressions, or mantras; He desires “truth in the inward being” ( Psalm 51:6, ESV ).

Thank you for this

smiley
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Mar 23, 2017
izzou:

Thank you for this
smiley
You are welcome
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by veneza(f): 6:40pm On Mar 23, 2017
examples of prayer repetition that verse is talking about is: my father, my father say it again my father, my father shout it out my father , my father every secret house hold enemy die die die.
ignorant prayers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by petra1(m): 7:44pm On Mar 23, 2017
izzou:

Okay

Yes na . Bless me bless me .its not by number of repetition
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by CandidSeeker(m): 12:56am On Mar 24, 2017
Jesus Taught Us To Avoid Noise & Vain Repetitions

Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear - Isaiah 59:1

Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear, than to give the sacrifice of fools: for they consider not that they do evil. Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few – Eccleciastes 5:1-2

The Prayer That Brought Prophet Samuel
So Hannah rose up after they had eaten in Shiloh, …… and prayed unto the LORD, and wept sore. …….And it came to pass, as she continued praying before the LORD, that Eli marked her mouth. ……Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken - 1Sam.1 :9-10

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly - –Matt.6:6

And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he (Jesus) went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed – Mark 1:35

-Peace.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by izzou(m): 6:17am On Mar 24, 2017
CandidSeeker:
Jesus Taught Us To Avoid Noise & Vain Repetitions

Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear - Isaiah 59:1

Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear, than to give the sacrifice of fools: for they consider not that they do evil. Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few – Eccleciastes 5:1-2

The Prayer That Brought Prophet Samuel
So Hannah rose up after they had eaten in Shiloh, …… and prayed unto the LORD, and wept sore. …….And it came to pass, as she continued praying before the LORD, that Eli marked her mouth. ……Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken - 1Sam.1 :9-10

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly - –Matt.6:6

And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he (Jesus) went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed – Mark 1:35

-Peace.

Thanks
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by MuttleyLaff: 11:23am On Mar 24, 2017
izzou:

''vain repetitions'' is actually a translation from the original Greek word ''battalogeo''
and it relates to ''making empty word(s) or unintelligible sound(s) with one's voice ''
or blubbering (i.e. the unintelligible words made when weeping, crying or sobbing noisily and uncontrollably)
Also has to do with repeating words as if one is a stammerer

izzou:
Personally, I think Jesus was trying to say we should have more faith in our prayers than words
Jesus was actually against behaving like pagans, who think talking rapidly and/or continuously in a foolish, excited meaningless or incomprehensible words leads to having prayers getting attention

He was also teaching against tautology.
He prefers we just say the prayer, go straight to the prayer point without faffing about or getting embroiled in self-indulgent eloquence ego-trips
Has to be noted that stamerrers are exempted from Matthew 6:7

izzou:
The pastor ought to have said you people arent praying with conviction and belief that the prayer are going to be answered
Also instead of saying '''open your mouth and pray again angry'',
he could have said:
I would prefer you people to begin showing some level of enthusiasms and energetic interest for the next prayer activity and coming prayer points

izzou:
Please
26So they prepared one of the bulls and placed it on the altar.
Then they called on the name of Baal from morning until noontime, shouting, "O Baal, answer us!"
But there was no reply of any kind.
Then they danced, hobbling around the altar they had made
27About noontime Elijah began mocking them. “You’ll have to shout louder,”
he scoffed, “for surely he is a god! Perhaps he is daydreaming, or is relieving himself.
Or maybe he is away on a trip, or is asleep and needs to be wakened!”

- 1 Kings 18:26-27

Praying angry or praying uselessly like the pagans did praying to God from morning up to noon, continually and/or repeatedly asking God to answer them, in 1 Kings 18:26-27 above, is never a sure-fire way of getting God's attention or prayers attended to

You might be amazed or shocked to be informed that, praying in tongues as is done today, also falls under the category of Matthew 6:7

Praying in tongues, not to be conflated with praying with or praying in the spirit, as carried out in today's believers' gatherings,
is a confusion perpetuated through not paying close attention to scripture

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by luvmijeje(f): 12:03pm On Mar 24, 2017
So Let's go Matt 6:6-8

6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. 7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

8 “Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.

Emphasis on verses 8. The reason why most Christians do pray repetitively is because our faith is not yet strong. We are easily bother by what we see and not focus on what God can do.

For instance, God's promise that you will not lack. Rather than holding on to that word, immediately you see that hunger wants to kill you, you will run back to God making the same request he has sealed in heaven.

Mark 11:24 says,

24 Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.
I will tell you a personal experience. There's something I've been praying to God for and God told me he has done it and I should start preparing for it. There was a day pastor raise the same prayer point and as I was about to pray it, do you know what the Holy Spirit told me, He ask me, do I still want to pray on what he has done? My brother, I sharply turned it to a prayer of Thanksgiving.

Since then, any prayer I've prayed on, when next I'm praying it, I'll turn it to a prayer of Thanksgiving. Thanking him for doing it irrespective of whether I've seen it or not.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Mar 24, 2017
luvmijeje:
So Let's go Matt 6:6-8

6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. 7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

8 “Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.

Emphasis on verses 8. The reason why most Christians do pray repetitively is because our faith is not yet strong. We are easily bother by what we see and not focus on what God can do.

For instance, God's promise that you will not lack. Rather than holding on to that word, immediately you see that hunger wants to kill you, you will run back to God making the same request he has sealed in heaven.

Mark 11:24 says,

24 Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.
I will tell you a personal experience. There's something I've been praying to God for and God told me he has done it and I should start preparing for it. There was a day pastor raise the same prayer point and as I was about to pray it, do you know what the Holy Spirit told me, He ask me, do I still want to pray on what he has done? My brother, I sharply turned it to a prayer of Thanksgiving.

Since then, any prayer I've prayed on, when next I'm praying it, I'll turn it to a prayer of Thanksgiving. Thanking him for doing it irrespective of whether I've seen it or not.
You've said it all brother. God bless you
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by orisa37: 12:29pm On Mar 24, 2017
Pray with your Heart, Soul, Minds and Strength and don't be verbose. To The Faithfuls, The Hopefuls, The Peacefuls and The Charitables, The Prayer of Our Lord is sufficient even at Crossroads.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by pythonista(m): 5:13pm On Mar 24, 2017
I think prayer is all about letting the Holy Spirit pray for you through you.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? by PastorAIO: 6:05pm On Mar 24, 2017
Sometimes we should just accept that there are contradictions in the bible and then we will not be so confused.

Elijah prayed till he saw a cloud. So for some that means that it's okay to keep praying without head or tail. Although we should release this one because the Praying was of Elijah's own volition and not an instruction from Yahweh. Even Moses who was considered the greatest OT prophet didn't have enough faith to trust Yahweh. Instead of commanding rock to produce water he went and struck the rock with his staff. So it doesn't make sense that we should copy fallible human beings even if they are prophets.

I wonder though. Are there any repetitions that are not vain? Since it is vain (ie worthless) repetitions that Jesus is railing against then maybe there are repetitions that are not so vain in their application. Just musing....

Sometimes I think that since God knows everything before you even ask then the purpose is of Prayer is not for God to be informed of your plight but rather it is solely for the person making the prayer. Maybe it is a way to focus your thoughts etc. Or maybe it is a form of catharsis whereby it is a lot healthier to express whatever is doing you than to just hold it in. I dunno, this is just speculations now.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Should The 80's And 90's Kids Also Keep Quiet And Accept These Religious Lies? / The Universe Looks Nothing Like It Was Created By A Loving God. / Moaning During Sexual Conjugation Is Bad For Christian Couple

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.