Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,363 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:16 AM

Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! (22106 Views)

Jobs Seekers – See Best Way To Answer “why Should We Hire You?” / WHEN GE Nigeria Doesnt Want To Hire You But Advertise Anyways!!! / Best Answer To The Interview Question - Why Hire You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by Bodjetstar(m): 11:05pm On Mar 23, 2017
There are lots of qualified applicants like you out there striving for that same position but one of the question to distinguish you is: Why Should We Hire You?
Have you been asked the question before? What was your response?
Well you will reply to that after this post.
Based on my research, I will try and give you details on what you need to understand about the question and possible answers.

After all, the whole interview process is about answering this question: Why should we hire you instead of one of the many other well-qualified applicants?
Every interview question is an attempt to gather information to inform this hiring decision . Many interviewers will also specifically ask you to make your case with one of these questions:
Why should we hire you?
Why are you the best candidate for the job?
Why are you the right fit for the position?
What would you bring to the position?

To close the deal on a job offer, you MUST be prepared with a concise summary of the top reasons to choose you. Even if your interviewer doesn’t ask one of these question in so many words, you should have an answer prepared and be looking for ways to communicate your top reasons throughout the interview process.

Why Do Interviewers Ask This Question?

The interviewer’s job is to hire the best person for the position. Most of the candidates that make it to the interview stage are qualified for the job. The winning candidate must be more than qualified, especially in a very competitive job market.
Every hire is a risk for the company. Your interviewer will also be taking a personal career risk in recommending a particular candidate to hire. If the candidate performs well, Mr. Interviewer looks brilliant and gets a pat on the back (and maybe a bigger annual bonus).
If the candidate turns out to be a dud
(doesn’t perform well, doesn’t get along with the team, leaves the job prematurely, etc.) , the interviewer looks like a dummy and his professional reputation suffers.
With this question, your interviewer is asking you to sell him on you and your status as the best person for the position. Make his job easier by convincing him that:
You can do the work and deliver exceptional results
You will fit in beautifully and be a great addition to the team
You possess a combination of skills and experience that make you stand out from the crowd
Hiring you will make him look smart and make his life easier
How to Answer: Why Should We Hire You?
This is your chance to wow them with your highlight reel. Your answer should summarize the top three or four best reasons to hire you. It’s better to have three or four strong reasons with memorable descriptions and/or examples than to rattle off a laundry list of twelve strengths without context.
This is an opportunity to reiterate your most impressive strengths and/or describe your most memorable selling points, tailored to align with the top requirements in the job description. Your 3-4 bullet points could include a combination of the following:
Industry experience
Experience in performing certain tasks or duties
Technical skills
Soft skills
Key accomplishments
Awards/accolades
Education/training
Accomplishments and success stories are always good bets, especially if you can describe how a key accomplishment
(a successful marketing campaign, for example) demonstrates a desired competency (creativity, results-orientation).
One approach is to mention any unique combination of skills(s) and experience that you possess. For example, many candidates may have strong programming skills, but what if you combine those with team leadership experience that others don’t have? Sounds like a great recipe for a senior programmer. Explain why in your answer.

(......to be continued to avoid too long post)

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by Bodjetstar(m): 11:08pm On Mar 23, 2017
(continuation of the discussion......)

Most job seekers should be able to develop a standard answer to this question that can be customized a bit for each opportunity. Here’s how:
Step 1: Brainstorm
To get started, review the job description
(or a representative job description if you don’t have an interview lined up right now) and your resume and ask yourself these questions:
What are the most important qualifications for this position from the company’s perspective?
In which of these areas do I really shine?
What are my most impressive accomplishments?
What makes me different from the typical candidate?
Brainstorm and jot down everything that comes to mind.
Step 2: Structure Your Sales Pitch
Next, choose the 3-4 bullet points that make the strongest argument for you. Use those bullet points to structure your sales pitch. Don’t write a script to memorize — simply capture the bullet points that you want to convey. Each bullet will describe the selling point with a brief explanation and/or example for context.
Keep it concise — you still want to keep your answer in the 1-2 minute range so you won’t be able to rattle off every skill and accomplishment on your resume. You have to really think about what sets you apart from the competition.
Step 3: Practice
Once you feel pretty good about the points you want to make, it’s time to practice. Again, it’s not a good idea to memorize a script — you can end up sounding like a robot or feel more nervous because of pressure to remember specific wording.
The better approach is to capture your bullet points, study them, and then practice until you feel comfortable talking about them off the cuff. Your answer should come out a little bit different each time, but it should always cover the points that you want to make.
Remember: It’s also very important to come across as confident and
enthusiastic when you deliver your pitch. Make them believe in you — your abilities and your commitment.
If you project confidence (even if you have to fake it a little), you’re more likely to make a strong impression. As for enthusiasm, keep in mind that true passion for the work required is a pretty compelling selling point. Yes, experience and qualifications are important, but the right attitude can definitely give you an edge over those with similar professional backgrounds.

(to be continued.....)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by Bodjetstar(m): 11:37pm On Mar 23, 2017
:::EXAMPLE OF ANSWERS:::

Example Answer 1: Project Manager

“Well, I have all of the skills and experience that you’re looking for and I’m confident that I would be a superstar in this project management role.
It’s not just my background leading successful projects for top companies — or my people skills, which have helped me develop great relationships with developers, vendors, and senior managers alike. But I’m also passionate about this industry and I’m driven to deliver high-quality work.”

Why it's Liked:
She has a lot of confidence and is able to concisely sum up how she meets the position’s top requirements (project management experience, relationship and team skills) . This answer is a little bit general and could perhaps be further strengthened with examples (describing a successful project, naming one of those top companies, offering evidence of those great relationships).
However, assuming that the candidate has already discussed some specifics of her past roles, this answer does a good job of reiterating and emphasizing. She doesn’t make the interviewer put all of the pieces together on his own.
She does it for him and naturally does it with a very positive spin. We also really like the last line: What’s not to love about passion, drive, and high-quality work?

Example Answer 2: Programmer

“Honestly, I almost feel like the job description was written with me in mind. I have the 6 years of programming experience you’re looking for, a track record of successful projects, and proven expertise in agile development processes.
At the same time, I have developed my communication skills from working directly with senior managers, which means I am well prepared to work on high-profile, cross-department projects. I have the experience to start contributing from day one and I am truly excited about the prospect of getting started.”

Why We Like It:
This is another good approach to summing up key qualifications and demonstrating a great fit with the position requirements. In particular, this candidate is likely to win points with “the experience to start contributing from day one.” He won’t need much training or hand-holding and that’s attractive to any employer.

Example Answer 3: Fresh Graduate

“I have the experience and the attitude to excel in this production assistant position. I have almost two years of television production experience — including two summers interning at The Ellen Show, where I was exposed to all aspects of TV production and worked so hard the first summer that they invited me back for a second summer and gave me more responsibilities.
During my senior year at UC San Diego, I have been working part-time for a production company, where I have served in an assistant role but also recently had the chance to help edit several episodes. I have a reputation for getting things done — and with a smile on my face.
That’s because I love working in the television industry and am excited to learn and get experience in every way possible.”

Why We Like It:
This candidate has some nice internship and part-time experience, but she’s a new college grad and doesn’t have any full-time positions to talk about.
This answer highlights the experience that she does have (and the fact that she performed well — she was invited back to her internship and was given an opportunity to edit at her part-time job).
She also expresses her enthusiasm for the job and her strong work ethic. These qualities are important for an entry-level hire, who will likely be doing quite a bit of grunt work at first.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by peirson5: 7:14am On Mar 24, 2017
Ftc.....
After all these years
To mama, papa, sister, uncle, brother, aunty.
And to special Dina
Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by Ola2004: 7:14am On Mar 24, 2017
Ol
Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by OgidiOlu3(m): 7:14am On Mar 24, 2017
Please op, what's the answer to the question "who do you know"? undecided

5 Likes

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by ken19: 7:15am On Mar 24, 2017
Kk
Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by VickyRotex(f): 7:15am On Mar 24, 2017
peirson5:

M

Ola2004:
Ol

See them! angry
Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by naijarates2017: 7:15am On Mar 24, 2017
Hire me and find out cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by Nobody: 7:15am On Mar 24, 2017
you try

help visit my blog www.abtech.com.ng
Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by VickyRotex(f): 7:15am On Mar 24, 2017
Hire me cos I'm da Boss! cool
Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by Kockane(m): 7:15am On Mar 24, 2017
Interviewer: why should we hire you?

Me: Because you're hiring! undecided

19 Likes

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by ledamola(m): 7:16am On Mar 24, 2017
Good one
Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by kabawa(m): 7:17am On Mar 24, 2017
Because i'm the best you can't afford to loose grin
Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by littlewonders: 7:18am On Mar 24, 2017
Nice
Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by littlewonders: 7:18am On Mar 24, 2017
OgidiOlu3:
Please op, what's the answer to the question "who do you know"? undecided

God!

1 Like

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by 0b10010011: 7:18am On Mar 24, 2017

Would have made a 3rd class honours out f the university if I could read the long epistle.

Someone should please do the summary in 5 sentences.
Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by kevoh(m): 7:18am On Mar 24, 2017
because I need the job, duh! angry angry angry
Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by Humility017(m): 7:19am On Mar 24, 2017
there is something I don't still get....why should a company query her employee of not being passionate enough for the job while at the same they pay peanuts only able to meet the employees transport fare and nothing else

3 Likes

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by grandstar(m): 7:19am On Mar 24, 2017
This post is tooooo long!
Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by 1metre: 7:21am On Mar 24, 2017
Applying all you stated above is not a criteria that you gonna get the job.smart guys are sitting without jobs.getting jobs now is by HIS Grace

5 Likes

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by awoo47: 7:21am On Mar 24, 2017
Cause if you don't hire me i will find you and embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by snowden9(m): 7:22am On Mar 24, 2017
Why shouldn't you hire me?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by peirson5: 7:22am On Mar 24, 2017
VickyRotex:

See them! angry
wetin we do
Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by SexyNairalander: 7:23am On Mar 24, 2017
booked

because am the best man for the job

4 Likes

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by Benwems(m): 7:27am On Mar 24, 2017
Oga OP too much talk talk. simply go straight to the point why you should be hired.

2 Likes

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by Nobody: 7:28am On Mar 24, 2017
because if u don't hire me,I will turn to a kidnapper and kidnap u.

1 Like

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by rxgodwin(m): 7:36am On Mar 24, 2017
Thanks op, just wat I need this morning. One plate of your favorite wen dz is done.

1 Like

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by Eazylion: 7:37am On Mar 24, 2017
At the end if u don't have connection , you will just look like a deaf and dumb speaking Chinese ...
Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by ednut1(m): 7:37am On Mar 24, 2017
Ok
Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by Nobody: 7:41am On Mar 24, 2017
This question should be answered in the most sincere way possible. Using all the grammar you described above still may not earn you the job, simply because the previous interviewee may have said better. The next interviewee may have read this post too and say the very same thing, or something way better. So, tell me, when two people answer the question in exactly the same way, who should they now hire? Besides, last time i checked, talk is cheap.

When an interviewer asks you that question, answer it sincerely. Say the very thing they least expect, the truth. Say something in the line of 'Well, truth is, i'm not the only one suited for this job. There are many people who'd do this job perfectly, as well as i would. I'm only certain i'm a bonafide member of that set of people. My credentials speak for me, i'm qualified for the job, you can see i possess the skills you need, but it's not a do-or-die affair and my life isn't tied to the job. I'll be happy for whoever gets this job whether it is me or not. It's your job and awarding it is your call. It's up to you'.

This would surely leave the interviewer speechless, because you have spoken the truth he knows and nobody else would dare speak. You have shocked him. It's better than constructing white lies in Queen's english, boasting and ranting about what you very well know you are not.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! by citrate(f): 7:43am On Mar 24, 2017
Can someone please summarize these 50 pages for me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question / Nigeria Air Force Recruitment For 2017: To Engage 5,000 Nigerians / N-Power: How To Check Your Shortlising/selection Status Using *45665#

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.