Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,877 members, 7,817,585 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA (14748 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Wins 2019 Everett M. Rogers Award / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins 2018 PEN Pinter Prize / Mention One Book You'll Read Over And Over Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by henryanna36: 6:54am On Mar 24, 2017
Congratulation to celebrity novelist, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. New York City residents picked her book "Americanah" as the winner of the “One Book, One New York" program - America's biggest book club.

Program Description

One Book, One New York is the largest community reading program in the country, bringing together book-loving New Yorkers to read the same book at the same time. The program was launched in February 2017 with quintessential New York flair, featuring five celebrities who each urged New Yorkers to vote for one of five award-winning books. Ultimately, the votes were tallied and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s Americanah was selected as the book all New Yorkers will read together. During the coming months, the Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment will present a series of free events throughout the five boroughs, with a culminating One Book, One New York event in early June. See below for a full list of upcoming events, and join in the conversation on social media using the hashtag #OneBookNY.

Source: http://www.trezzyhelm.com/2017/03/congratulation-to-celebrity-novelist.html?m=1

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by Rotjijatau(m): 7:31am On Mar 24, 2017
So finally FTC...... Abeg help me jubilate with "Likes"

13 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by geostrata(m): 10:06am On Mar 24, 2017
grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by DuBLINGreenb(m): 10:06am On Mar 24, 2017
My bae

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by FengChui(m): 10:06am On Mar 24, 2017
Urgent Please - Pls if you know anybody who wants to sell his or her car, any model & any colour, with AC and you are sure it's in perfect working condition & valid papers, with price around 2.5 or 3 million with good engine, pls let the person sell it, it's none of my business.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by YonkijiSappo: 10:06am On Mar 24, 2017
Okay
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by Amberon: 10:07am On Mar 24, 2017
Good
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by Olanews: 10:07am On Mar 24, 2017
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by Vickiweezy(m): 10:07am On Mar 24, 2017
Congrats. Thank you for making us proud.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by dacblogger: 10:07am On Mar 24, 2017
Go girl... grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by Nobody: 10:07am On Mar 24, 2017
Her novels are so boring to read. No remarkable story of her in my head. She's a good writer but boring story teller. the

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by Empressbecky(f): 10:08am On Mar 24, 2017
Too cerebral for you clowns to comment on?

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by idbami2(m): 10:08am On Mar 24, 2017
I dey gbadun this Chibabanda well well.. She sabi write..

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by Nobody: 10:08am On Mar 24, 2017
Na them
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by musicwriter(m): 10:08am On Mar 24, 2017
This's why Malcolm X said if the west is rewarding a black man that person is doing a disservice.

“When we see a Black man who is constantly being praised by the Americans, begin to suspect him. When we see a Black man get honors and all sorts of decorations and the United States flatters him with fine words and phrases, immediately suspect that person. Because our experience has taught us that the Americans do not exalt to any Black man that is really working for the benefit of the Black man.”............... Malcolm X

"I've never seen a sincere white man, not when it comes to helping black people. Usually things like this are done by white people to benefit themselves. The white man's primary interest is not to elevate the thinking of black people, or to waken black people, or white people either. The white man is interested in the black man only to the extent that the black man is of use to him"................Malcolm X

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by YonkijiSappo: 10:08am On Mar 24, 2017
She usually infuses too many characters into her stories.
Makes it hard for the reader to keep track of each of them.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by Greatbeard(m): 10:09am On Mar 24, 2017
Good achievement.

The director of the "half of a yellow sun" movie tried too hard to make it seem deep. it wasn't.

Despite the fact that I share different views from this lady.

I respect the fact that she has a strong opinion and holds on to it as she fights for the rights of women.

my respect for her skyrocketed during the recent transwomen saga. she didn't twist her statement to please anybody.

she doesn't deserve the hatred she gets from Nigerians.

Keep going dear Amazon!

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by diasporaman(m): 10:09am On Mar 24, 2017
Sahara desert reporters don't report this kind of good news

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by DollarAngel(m): 10:09am On Mar 24, 2017
Just in case you don't know

Born 15 September 1977 (age 39)
Enugu, Enugu State, Nigeria
Occupation Novelist, short story writer, nonfiction writer
Nationality Nigerian
Ethnicity :IGBO
Period 2003 — present
Notable works Purple Hibiscus
Half of a Yellow Sun
Americanah
Notable awards MacArthur Fellowship (2008)
Spouse Ivara Esege

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by uyaha: 10:10am On Mar 24, 2017
queen of the east

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by FrankNetter(m): 10:11am On Mar 24, 2017
Igbo lady cool

11 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by BrutalJab: 10:11am On Mar 24, 2017
Igbo Amaka!!!

Chukwu gozie umu igbo nile!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by Godprotectigbos(f): 10:11am On Mar 24, 2017
grin grin grin grin

thank God we have somebody that will replace our late legend Prof Chinue Achebe (father of african literature)...may his soul rest in peace

thank u chimamada for all this.... keep repping us well

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by God2man(m): 10:11am On Mar 24, 2017
Bravo!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by henrydadon(m): 10:12am On Mar 24, 2017
does she still cialm to be a nigerian.

of course y'all will cialm her and celebrate her because she not involved with drug like her brothers
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by Nobody: 10:12am On Mar 24, 2017
Mizzysexy:
Her novels are so boring to read. No remarkable story of her in my head. She's a good writer but boring story teller. the

Wow?

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by Elle277(f): 10:12am On Mar 24, 2017
Kudos
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by kvvlin(f): 10:12am On Mar 24, 2017
This woman is going from strenght to strenght

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by ruggedized1: 10:12am On Mar 24, 2017
Anambra born Chimamanda is doing Nigeria and Africa as a whole proud. cool

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by SwillG: 10:12am On Mar 24, 2017
I'm sorry I know I shouldn't be posting this here but I serious detastes what's been going on in NairaLand. NairaLand mods practice tribalism. I got banned cos I'm not a Muslim and the reply button was disabled. Please check out the thread I was trying to reply to before it was disabled. Mods tryna force me to accept that I'm a Muslim. SMH

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA by skarz: 10:13am On Mar 24, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters / Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Two (by Kayode Odusanya) / Oluchi (birthday Special)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.