Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,980 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:12 PM

Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) (46944 Views)

Kogi Election: Corper Who Died, Buried Amidst Tears / Akwa-Ibom Corper Dies After Slumping During Football Match / Corpse Of Corper Who Died From Laptop Explosion Taken To Home Town In Ogun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by Yomiwayne80(m): 10:30am On Mar 25, 2017
StarBukola:
Some Dr knows when a patient will not make it, I did my it in an hospital so I no what am saying, it a real pity he died honestly, such a fine tall guy, like a glass a tall of water... Rip. I just hope nysc no talk say dey no send him make e go play ball

Doctors are supposed to assumed every patient have that ability to survived no matter the state of his or her illness
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by Stylz69(m): 10:30am On Mar 25, 2017
When did doctors start giving injections??
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by nonjebose(m): 10:30am On Mar 25, 2017
madridguy:
unprofessional conduct of the Doctor? You got it wrong. Cardiac arrest can occur anytime so don't blame anyone. Let pray for his soul and the family he left behind.

So when cardiac arrest "happen" to anyone, a doctor can afford to fold his hands until a card is paid for and he is pleaded with to attend to the patient. You got it wrong
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 25, 2017
A zoo called Nigeria. watch as only those who have never seen how things are done outside Nigeria will attack me with abundance of ignorance and loads of tribal patriotism
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by nonjebose(m): 10:34am On Mar 25, 2017
StarBukola:
Some Dr knows when a patient will not make it, I did my it in an hospital so I no what am saying, it a real pity he died honestly, such a fine tall guy, like a glass a tall of water... Rip. I just hope nysc no talk say dey no send him make e go play ball
He should have referred him immediately, instead of wasting everyone's time because of how much.
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 25, 2017
Yomiwayne80:

Doctors are supposed to assumed every patient have that ability to survived no matter the state of his or her illness
That is when the doctor is practicing in a place other than a zoo.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by tosyne2much(m): 10:36am On Mar 25, 2017
In this part of the world, people die due to the careless of others and then we attribute the death to "that's the time God appointed for the person to die".. SMH
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by Equal2DeTask(m): 10:37am On Mar 25, 2017
StarBukola:

u are crushing on the Dead wink
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by Equal2DeTask(m): 10:40am On Mar 25, 2017
Olivia111:
Rip to

thunder Fire U there...

Naso una give me game before 1st don finish e don cast like casting of demons...

If I see u I will arrest U...
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by nonjebose(m): 10:42am On Mar 25, 2017
stasius:
Don't rush to blame the doctor.

Disappeared into thin air and then came back to give injection? Do u know what he went to get? Or is he going to perform magic with his saliva? He might have referred u cos they don't have facility to handle the case. So it's not his fault. Rather than wait and do nothing, He did the best he can which is to refer to a more "sophisticated" center.
He was too slow in acting. Whatever happened to referring him immediately, rather than giving them false hope that he can handle it
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by Nobody: 10:48am On Mar 25, 2017
Yomiwayne80:

Depends....sometimes, you know once the case is brought in that the patient is already dead...especially when you shine a light into the eyes, and see that the eye pupils are a) not responding to light b) dilated grossly, and when there is no breathing, or pulse felt everywhere.

And sometimes you know that the patient is going to die, no matter what you do, as in human cases of rabies for example (Have seen two cases as a student, and it is as horrifying as the textbooks describe.).
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by princepeter566: 10:49am On Mar 25, 2017
some of this doctors are not qualified to be in this world . I remember when my younger sis was about to be operated at FMC makurdi and those doctors were not willing to operate her simply because d bill will be paid by national health insurance scheme. what a country ?
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by CaptPlanet(m): 10:50am On Mar 25, 2017
You guys should have gotten the goats name and pictures and probably done some damages to him/office

RIP son!
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by BBBlaze: 10:59am On Mar 25, 2017
WELLECOME to NAIJA WHERE HUMAN LIVES ARE TREATED AS THAT OF ANIMALS cry

*news flash*

to serve naija is not by force. RIP my broda
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by Cornerstone2020(m): 11:00am On Mar 25, 2017
StarBukola:

Clap for yourself nice defence.
I pity for this country. what is actually responsible for the increasing Stupidity among youths?
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by Nobody: 11:07am On Mar 25, 2017
Corpers don too die, something should be done
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by Olysmile(f): 11:09am On Mar 25, 2017
It's unfair, at least the doctor should have attended to the guy first. Doctors are known only to show empathy. God help us.
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by DonMekino(m): 11:15am On Mar 25, 2017
Exactly why I hate the news n quarrels about fake certificate saga.... We insult ourselves about these stupid politicians who don't give a Bleep about our Healthcare. They always run abroad at slightest health challenge (president is eg).... So how will our basic health care improve.... This one concerns all of us irrespective of tribe and political affiliation.... A young promising brain just lost because of poor health delivery while these aged politicians run to the best hospitals with public money..

It's time we understand that we all have a common enemy in this country.... Those who have refused to give us the basic necessities of life, those who don't value our lives one bit.... This young man in a sane clime would have been treated by paramedics even if doctor isn't available.... But as Nigerians we will say *God knows best* while our leaders take us for a ride...

How does certificate saga solve the basic problems bedevilling us in this country.... Am pained honestly because we have neglected the basic to chase the mundane.... I won't totally blame the doctor.... It is the reflection of the society that we find ourselves.... Yet we insult ourselves because of these nefarious politicians

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by Spacecraft: 11:18am On Mar 25, 2017
This robot is likely to replace our keys in the as it can turn your phone into your key. see link here:
http://www.techeda.com/this-robot-will-turn-your-phone-into-your-key-sesame-lock/
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by Nobody: 11:20am On Mar 25, 2017
StarBukola:
So if he were related to u, Would u b saying what u re saying now?
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by nihil(m): 11:24am On Mar 25, 2017
@9jakohai..
Good write-up. The truth is that the health sector is moribund. ..just like every other thing in Nigeria. How many tertiary centres can are prepared to offer BLS properly and routinely not to talk of Advanced life support?
@ phrekabit.. .the suggestion of any eye for an eye is not a bad idea.. .but directed in the wrong direction. A former governor of Akwa-ibom state launched a 5 star hospital in Uyo in the last political dispensation. How far with that.. .these are the people who MUST be held accountable!
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by AreaFada2: 11:29am On Mar 25, 2017
madridguy:
unprofessional conduct of the Doctor? You got it wrong. Cardiac arrest can occur anytime so don't blame anyone. Let pray for his soul and the family he left behind.

Well we know the chances of surviving it are low, but if anyone has a chance, it would be an otherwise fit young guy like Ab. Like the football player Muamba a few years ago.

Aside a surgery in process and few other conditions, the corper should have been the doctor's priority. Not being begged for 40 minutes by a pastor first to lift a finger.
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by Nobody: 11:57am On Mar 25, 2017
AreaFada2:

Well we know the chances of surviving it are low, but if anyone has a chance, it would be an otherwise fit young guy like Ab. Like the football player Muamba a few years ago.

Aside a surgery in process and few other conditions, the corper should have been the doctor's priority. Not being begged for 40 minutes by a pastor first to lift a finger.

In Muamba's case

1.There were paramedics equiped with a defibrillator to give CPR immediately.(Infact, five years before the incident, the English FA, based on a report written by one of its officials, mandated that every stadium in England have an AED)
2.A cardio-thoracic surgeon, who was also a Tottenham fan rushed in to assist.
3.When the ambulance arrived, the surgeon directed that they go to one of London's top hospitals...which also happened to be dedicated to the management of heart issues....
4.CPR continued in the ambulance, and in the hospital until they got to surgery
5.I should note that Muamba's heart stopped at least once..but was brought back into rhythym immediately.
6.Muamba had a pacemaker fitted, was in hospital for several weeks, before he was discharged (Unfortunately he could not play football again, so he enrolled in a university to do a Masters in Journalisim).

In the corper's case
1.No one around to do CPR...and that includes members of the public (In the UK, CPR classes are held in many centers several times a week...and they are open to members of the public.You do not need a medical degree to attend one...just pay a fee, and you are welcome).
2.CPR was not done enroute to hospital (and there is every chance he was transported poorly. If there is no ambulance...you can use any other vehicle, provided the patient is transported lying supine, on a flat surface, and in this case CPR continued).
3.At hospital....no defibrillator, no doctor or nurse trained in CPR, no attempt to continue CPR in the hospital (you continue doing it until you are tired , then someone takes over), no airway most likely, no ECG monitor....patient left for 40 minutes. Had an injection (possibly adrenalin...I am wildly speculating here...so don't quote me verbatim. Only my fellow doc knows what he injected ).
4.Referred late...patient dies.

Muamba was lucky. I should note that Muamba was originally from the Democratic Republic of Congo...and I am sure he would have died if he was a footballer there...or in Nigeria.

Also, training in BLS and ALS (Basic life support, and advnaced life support) is not given much in Nigeria. Sometimes, you might be lucky to go for a CME in BLS.....but these are not widely available.

As for equiping hospitals...I will say that, based on the expreience with Obasanjo's VAMED program which provided equipment for many of our teaching hospitals...it is one thing to provide equipment, it is another thing to pay the costs needed to keep the equipment running well.
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by kbams241: 12:01pm On Mar 25, 2017
oseka101:
Same shi*t dat happened in futminna u guys should have burnt the hospital down.....
O God deliver futmix from dis kids
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by jabojafa(m): 12:18pm On Mar 25, 2017
crackhouse:
It's very obvious the doctor is incompetent. He don't know what to do so he had to disappear. It's an emergency that he can't handle. Most of our doctors only know how to treat headache and malaria. Anything aside that is a big challenge and calls for God's intervention.
They only play away their time in school only to graduate and be called a doctor.
Shame!!!!
i knw u feel pained abt d youngman's death, but dt always judge based on oneside of a story. Dnt always believe evrytin u hear on d internet hook line n sinker.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by jabojafa(m): 12:24pm On Mar 25, 2017
sleek82:
please did you not read the part that the doctor was begged for 40mins before he injected the guy? Because it was cardiac arrest or not doesn't mean trying your best can't save him......Muamba also had a cardiac arrest and was saved due to a timely intervention....he was said to be dead for about 5 hours before resuscitation
i knw u feel pained, but were u among d ppl dt rushed him to d hospital? It is bias of u to judge a case based on wot u read frm n internet and u hv heard only oneside.
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by myked(m): 12:29pm On Mar 25, 2017
Ehya, RIP to Ab..... Similar to what supposedly happened @ futmx recently
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by AreaFada2: 12:35pm On Mar 25, 2017
9jakohai:

In Muamba's case

1.There were paramedics equiped with a defibrillator to give CPR immediately.(Infact, five years before the incident, the English FA, based on a report written by one of its officials, mandated that every stadium in England have an AED)
2.A cardio-thoracic surgeon, who was also a Tottenham fan rushed in to assist.
3.When the ambulance arrived, the surgeon directed that they go to one of London's top hospitals...which also happened to be dedicated to the management of heart issues....
4.CPR continued in the ambulance, and in the hospital until they got to surgery
5.I should note that Muamba's heart stopped at least once..but was brought back into rhythym immediately.
6.Muamba had a pacemaker fitted, was in hospital for several weeks, before he was discharged (Unfortunately he could not play football again, so he enrolled in a university to do a Masters in Journalisim).

In the corper's case
1.No one around to do CPR...and that includes members of the public (In the UK, CPR classes are held in many centers several times a week...and they are open to members of the public.You do not need a medical degree to attend one...just pay a fee, and you are welcome).
2.CPR was not done enroute to hospital (and there is every chance he was transported poorly. If there is no ambulance...you can use any other vehicle, provided the patient is transported lying supine, on a flat surface, and in this case CPR continued).
3.At hospital....no defibrillator, no doctor or nurse trained in CPR, no attempt to continue CPR in the hospital (you continue doing it until you are tired , then someone takes over), no airway most likely, no ECG monitor....patient left for 40 minutes. Had an injection (possibly adrenalin...I am wildly speculating here...so don't quote me verbatim. Only my fellow doc knows what he injected ).
4.Referred late...patient dies.

Muamba was lucky. I should note that Muamba was originally from the Democratic Republic of Congo...and I am sure he would have died if he was a footballer there...or in Nigeria.

Also, training in BLS and ALS (Basic life support, and advnaced life support) is not given much in Nigeria. Sometimes, you might be lucky to go for a CME in BLS.....but these are not widely available.

As for equiping hospitals...I will say that, based on the expreience with Obasanjo's VAMED program which provided equipment for many of our teaching hospitals...it is one thing to provide equipment, it is another thing to pay the costs needed to keep the equipment running well.

Whatever the case, the doctor was the first to have the opportunity to try his best. Having no equipment is no reason not to try. He should not be practising medicine in 9ja if he can only help with ultra-modern facility. He knew the abysmal state of healthcare facility & poor maintenance culture 9ja. But still pledged to serve mankind.

Here in Europe, robotic surgery like Galileo is used for prostate surgery in some units. It doesn't mean those without it cannot do same operation.

People die from same condition (cardiac arrest frequently even in the best equipped units in the West. But there is a certain satisfaction that one did one's best. After all the exhausting CPR, panting from chest compression and all.
But you know that on a different day, with a bit more luck, he might have lived. And that some will survive in the future if one keeps doing one's best.

NMA ought to partner with ministry of health to educate the masses about heart attack, stroke, diabetic emergency and other common modern conditions. Or go out of their way to enlighten people.

I guess there is nothing like Federal Heart Foundation (I may be wrong though). What are all the money bags doing with their money? No putting back into society's health?
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by Madeu(m): 12:38pm On Mar 25, 2017
9jakohai:
Some thoughts on the case

1.It is obvious the guy died of a heart attack....which does happen in young athletic people with congential issues with their heart. (examples...hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, and prolonged QT syndrome). We recall the death of footballers like Sam Okwaraji and Augie, and Marc Vivien Foe on the football pitch. All of them had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. We also recall how Kanu's life was saved by a routine echocardiogram done when he was moving from Ajax to Inter.

2.When a patient comes in like that into a hospital....CPR should be started immediately. I wonder why the doctor did not start CPR...and why he gave up so easily. I recall one time as a doctor, when I entered a ward once, was talking to some doctors lightly...when one of the patients stopped breathing. CPR commenced ....and the patient was brought back.

For the info of the house...here is how to do a CPR.....which by the way should have been done right from the time he collapsed...and continued until he got to an appropriate hospital. Anyone can do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cosVBV96E2g

3.Third,to aid in the CPR, a defibrillator should have been in the Mercy Hospital. I make bold to say that most hospitals in Nigeria do not have a defibrillator at all....99%...and that includes teaching hospital. And those that have it...keep it in the Operating Theater, or the ICU.

Here is an image showing how to use an AED

4.The doctor probably did not know how to do CPR because such training is not offered frequently in Nigeria. In the UK....there are several CPR classes for members of the public and medical people...docs,nurses, etc...going on every month across the country. In Nigeria...very rare. And you have to pay.

5.Here is how the thing should have been done ideally

a.Guy slumps
b.Corpers and others at field start CPR...and continue till ambulance arrives
c.Ambulance arrives, paramedics apply CPR...and then the defibrillator...first to asses the rhythym...and then if the rhthym requires that the heart be 'shocked'..a shock is given with the defibrillator.If not...CPR continues.
d.Patient is rushed to hospital, where CPR and shocking heart continues and medication to stimulate heart is given...for as long as possible....until the patient comes back, or he dies.

Here is a brief chart for BLS.

At bold, the first responder should commence with CPR whilst call for professional help is done.
From the look of things, there is nothing the doctor could do without emergency devices
Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by kinguwem: 12:50pm On Mar 25, 2017
crackhouse:
It's very obvious the doctor is incompetent. He don't know what to do so he had to disappear. It's an emergency that he can't handle. Most of our doctors only know how to treat headache and malaria. Anything aside that is a big challenge and calls for God's intervention.
They only play away their time in school only to graduate and be called a doctor.
Shame!!!!
We're very hasty to post comments usually without proper information. There're a lot of issues here. Generally, we take a lot of issues for granted and expect miracles in return.
Firstly, it is not wise to organize a sporting event without involving a medical team. That crucial first aid on the pitch would've made a difference. No ambulance was stationed for any emergency.
Secondly, no system is functioning properly in this country yet we expect miracles in hospitals especially the general hospitals. There is no standard protocol for management of emergencies in this country. No coordinated ambulance services nor paramedics.
Finally, everybody including corps members should go for regular medical check up. Those involved in sports should have a baseline blood pressure, blood sugar check and ECG.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photos Of Akwa-Ibom Corper Who Fainted & Died On The Football Pitch (Graphic) by jidxin(m): 1:33pm On Mar 25, 2017
madridguy:

can you read at all?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Female Corper Dies Along Benin-Ore Road (Pictured) / Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools / Live Reports From NYSC Camps(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.