Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,894 members, 7,814,020 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

The Law Against Suicide Attempters Should Be Repealed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Law Against Suicide Attempters Should Be Repealed (597 Views)

Osinbajo Explains How The Law Supports Presidential Restriction Orders / Why The Land Use Act Needs To Be Repealed / How Senator Dino Melaye Broke The Law Against Spraying Of Naira Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Law Against Suicide Attempters Should Be Repealed by suyamasta(m): 7:30am On Mar 25, 2017
It is very wrong to punish people who are suffering from depression with poor life coping mechanisms. The law criminalizing suicide attempters only add more pain to the depressed suicide attempter.

Suicide attempters after rescue should be medically attended to with great regard to their welfare and emotional stability to help them see life as worth living!

1 Like

Re: The Law Against Suicide Attempters Should Be Repealed by anitapreeti(f): 7:34am On Mar 25, 2017
Please what is the law? The last time I checked there is no such law in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Law Against Suicide Attempters Should Be Repealed by Pieromania: 7:42am On Mar 25, 2017
What is this Op writing?The Doctor that commited suicide,is he living in Penury?As much as i agree they have to be assited to recover,bt they must be punished too.
Anything that will discourage anyone from commiting suicide is welcomed
Re: The Law Against Suicide Attempters Should Be Repealed by orisa37: 7:43am On Mar 25, 2017
The Law of God is against Suicide not Attempt. So if I say I want to die and repented not to die God will surely forgive me. Suicide attempt is deniable, .regrettable, repentable and forgivable

1 Like

Re: The Law Against Suicide Attempters Should Be Repealed by suyamasta(m): 7:43am On Mar 25, 2017
anitapreeti:
Please what is the law? The last time I checked there is no such law in Nigeria.
Section 327 of the Nigerian Criminal Code states that “Any person who attempts to kill himself is guilty of a misdemeanour and liable to imprisonment for 1 year”.

1 Like

Re: The Law Against Suicide Attempters Should Be Repealed by emeijeh(m): 7:45am On Mar 25, 2017
I see... .
But i still maintain my stand:

"That we are in a recession, and we are all in it together.

Whoever is thinking of attempting suicide.. .. . Better have a rethink about it.
I repeat.... . We are in this together"
Re: The Law Against Suicide Attempters Should Be Repealed by suyamasta(m): 7:48am On Mar 25, 2017
Pieromania:
What is this Op writing?The Doctor that commited suicide,is he living in Penury?As much as i agree they have to be assited to recover,bt they must be punished too.
Anything that will discourage anyone from commiting suicide is welcomed
It is not about living in penury, varying life encounters, experiences and conditions lead to mental, emotional and psychological breakdown! In a sane society rescued suicide attempters should be helped
Re: The Law Against Suicide Attempters Should Be Repealed by Pieromania: 8:02am On Mar 25, 2017
suyamasta:
It is not about living in penury, varying life encounters, experiences and conditions lead to mental, emotional and psychological breakdown! In a sane society rescued suicide attempters should be helped
Enacting law to punish them is another way of helping them,that wil discourage anyone attemting suicide to have a re-think.
Everyone has challenges,the way we handle it is what makes one from surmounting it and another committing suicide
Re: The Law Against Suicide Attempters Should Be Repealed by suyamasta(m): 8:08am On Mar 25, 2017
Pieromania:
Enacting law to punish them is another way of helping them,that wil discourage anyone attemting suicide to have a re-think.
Everyone has challenges,the way we handle it is what makes one from surmounting it and another committing suicide
For someone to give up on life no form of punishment will deter that person! We all have challenges but we are not all strong or bold enough to surmount!
Re: The Law Against Suicide Attempters Should Be Repealed by Pieromania: 8:20am On Mar 25, 2017
suyamasta:
For someone to give up on life no form of punishment will deter that person! We all have challenges but we are not all strong or bold enough to surmount!
Then committing suicide is the best?The fact that someone has the courage to take his life shows how courageous that person is,if they channel that same courage to tackle their challenges,they won't have any reason to commit suicide
Re: The Law Against Suicide Attempters Should Be Repealed by suyamasta(m): 10:48am On Mar 25, 2017
Pieromania:
Then committing suicide is the best?The fact that someone has the courage to take his life shows how courageous that person is,if they channel that same courage to tackle their challenges,they won't have any reason to commit suicide
I have never said suicide is the best option , My point is people have different points of weakness and strength in facing challenges of life, it is inhumane and totally inflictive to punish someone who tried to give up on life

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Willie Obiano Shares Easter Message.. Lady Blasts Him, Calls Him A Murder / BREAKING: Nnamdi Kanu Leaves Kuje Prison — Lawyer / Fuel Scarcity Hits Enugu As Protests Continues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.