Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,068 members, 7,867,041 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 09:59 AM

1968 Biafran Airlift...the Real Story By David Koren, American Volunteer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1968 Biafran Airlift...the Real Story By David Koren, American Volunteer (480 Views)

1968: Biafran Students In UK Welcomes Pre. Kenneth Kaunda (pics) / Picture Of Biafran Children Shot To Death In 1968 #may30th / Alabi Isama And Obasanjo Eating During The Civil War In 1968 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

1968 Biafran Airlift...the Real Story By David Koren, American Volunteer by Youngadvocate(m): 8:18pm On Mar 25, 2017
I've just bought the book, Far Away in the Sky: A Memoir of the Biafran Airlift Paperback – by David L. Koren (Author) 
A BIAFRA HERO

Some were paid. Some felt compelled by a duty to God. Some volunteered. Some died doing it. All flew on rickety old aircraft into a nighttime, wartime patch of African forest called Biafra. "Far Away in the Sky" gives the personal account of one of them, a young American volunteer who joined the largest civilian humanitarian relief airlift ever attempted. In 1968 millions of people, mostly children, were starving due to a military blockade of Biafra, the former Eastern Region of Nigeria.

The World Council of Churches and Caritas International mounted a relief airlift. Flying at night to avoid Nigerian MiGs, without radar or any modern navigational aids, landing amid bombs on a stretch of road in the rain forest, the old planes delivered thousands of tons of food and medicines. UNICEF recruited six former United States Peace Corps Volunteers, including the author, to help unload the planes.

The former volunteers had served in Nigeria and were familiar with the area and the people. To David Koren the people of Biafra, his former students and fellow teachers, constituted his motive for joining the airlift. “Sometimes after unloading our planes in the dark, we evacuated children in the final stages of starvation. One boy, lying limp on a mat near the plane, looked up at me in the gloom and said, ‘My father, why don’t you speak to me? Don’t you know me?’ As he was about to pass into eternity he felt that no one - not his father, not God, no one - knew who he was. He survived. He grew up to be a successful adult. He has a name. Nearly a half a century later, because I wrote "Far Away in the Sky", I learned his name. Now I want you to know his name.” More than the story of a daring humanitarian rescue, this book reveals the astonishing future of the rescued children and their descendants.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR

My mother told me to write this book. She is 95 years old, and she handed me a bundle of letters that I had sent her from Africa 50 years ago. She said, "You write very well, and you need to tell this story." I served in the United States Peace Corps in Nigeria in 1964, 1965, and 1966, and I wrote home about it. Since we had no instantaneous electronic communications back then, letters contained a lot of detail and feeling.

Continue reading: http://igbobia.com/?q=the-1968-biafran-airlift-relief-missionthe-story-by-david-koren-american-volunteer-in-the-war.html

1 Share

Re: 1968 Biafran Airlift...the Real Story By David Koren, American Volunteer by raker300: 8:29pm On Mar 25, 2017
Yes ooo..you fought for the right side. You're truest God sent.

The other side that supposedly won are suffering till today..starvation will kill 20 million of them by 2030 according to the UN..God never forgets

1 Like

Re: 1968 Biafran Airlift...the Real Story By David Koren, American Volunteer by Youngadvocate(m): 8:38pm On Mar 25, 2017
While you identify with the truths in the information and contents from this Moniker...don't forget the source is Igbobia.com...the Pan-Igbo forum that reveals real facts about and discusses the Igbo people.
I registered on the site as soon as it was launched a month ago, and ever since, I fell in love with it for the unique knowledge and unknown facts it springs.
Pls, register on the site and create contents necessary and beneficial to Umu-Igbo..it is fast rising

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Melaye Graduated From ABU In 2000, VC Tells Senate / Dino Melaye Appears In National Assembly Plenary In Academic Gown (pics) / NANS: Doctorate Degree On Governor Dankwambo Undeserving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.