Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,989 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? (973 Views)

“What Is Happening To Churches Qualifies As Persecution”-Chris Oyakhilome(video) / Am I A Saint If I Do This? / You Are A Saint Through Christ. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by FreeSpirited: 8:51pm On Mar 25, 2017
I realise the title 'saint' is assigned to a few people in some christian sect. I have no idea how they came about such title. Does being a saint means the person is totally flawless and without any sin? What's the justification? Is it biblical? Considering the fact that Jesus rebuked those who once called him 'a good person' , by saying no one is good except his father in heaven. What are the yardsticks that qualifies someone to be a saint and who assigns the title.

I just need some clarifications and l want to learn....Thanks
Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by 2cato: 8:59pm On Mar 25, 2017
To me saints are imperfct humans who are also sinner but continue to do and try their best to become perfect and righteous in the ways of God. From the above it shows any body can become saint
Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by yemmit90: 9:01pm On Mar 25, 2017
Humans are not capable to be parfect.
Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by Mummyjoy: 10:25pm On Mar 25, 2017
If you are genuinely saved ie washed by the blood of Jesus and aspiring towards perfection, you are already a saint. Forget the way some churches give it as a title, it's not biblical. When church give someone the title, they may not know if God is pleased with the person, only God know his saints. It's not supposed to be a title.
Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by Syncan(m): 5:05am On Mar 26, 2017
FreeSpirited:
I realise the title 'saint' is assigned to a few people in some christian sect. I have no idea how they came about such title. Does being a saint means the person is totally flawless and without any sin? What's the justification? Is it biblical? Considering the fact that Jesus rebuked those who once called him 'a good person' , by saying no one is good except his father in heaven. What are the yardsticks that qualifies someone to be a saint and who assigns the title.

I just need some clarifications and l want to learn....Thanks

In the Catholic Church, saints in the sense we use it today are not people who are still with us on earth, so do not worry about calling another person good , even though the same Christ told us to be perfect like our heavenly father is. Everyone in heaven wether known or unknown is a Saint. For those the church make known however, the process is as follows:

After the death of a person, it is actually those who were close to him or her in life, that demands for a declaration of the person as saint. Not outsiders, but insiders who knew the hidden virtues and vices. Saints are not people who never sinned, but people who never stopped trying to reach perfection. There are those who lived holy lives from childhood like: St.Theresa of Lisieux in France. There are some who turned from sin and to God later in their lives like St.Augustine of Hippo in Algeria.

When the people ask that someone be considered for sainthood, the church looks into it, if there exists reasonable facts, the Church then appoints, a theologian, under a bishop, to investigate his life. At this point, the person gets the title "servant of God".

If from the investigations, the Bishop is able to provide evidence to those in charge of sainthood in Rome, that this person truly lived a heroic life of virtues, the Church gives the person the title of "Venerable".

The Church all these while continue to ask God for a miraculous prove that the person is with Him. The people are encouraged to ask for miraculous favour through the intercession/prayers of this holy person. Once there is a proven case of a miracle wrought through his or her intercession, and the church accepts one as true beyond all doubts(note that there may be thousands claimed), the Pope declares the person a "blessed".

On the occurance of a second miracle again obtained via the person's intercession/prayers, and accepted by the Church as undeniable, the person is declared a saint. It is now clear to the universal Church that this child of hers is now in the branch of the Church in heaven, and that the life of such a person on earth is a practical example of how to put Jesus words into use.

Apart from miraculous interventions in the lives of the people, God also shows His endorsement through some extraordinary events on some saints eg. Some remain incorruptible years after their death eg St. Bernadette, some like St. Januarius have their coagulated blood turn to liquid at certain predetermined times repeatedly, Some have a sweet odour around them many years after death. Etc.

Is it biblical to say that someone is in heaven? Well, the Jews when they talk about: Abraham, Isaac, Esther, Judith, Jacob etc, they never talk of them as people who may be damned do they? There was never a doubt that these people obeyed God, and God was happy with them.

1 Like

Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by Pastafarian: 5:08am On Mar 26, 2017
Learning

1 Like

Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by Syncan(m): 3:18pm On Mar 26, 2017
yemmit90:
Humans are not capable to be parfect.

Jesus: Be perfect, for your heavenly father is perfect Matt.5:48.

Yemmit90: Humans are not capable to be perfect.

Me: I believe Jesus, for with God all things are possible.
Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by FreeSpirited: 8:04am On Mar 28, 2017
Syncan:

Jesus: Be perfect, for your heavenly father is perfect Matt.5:48.

Yemmit90: Humans are not capable to be perfect.

Me: I believe Jesus, for with God all things are possible.
think about these bibke passages:

All things are possible for those that believe.

Be perfect as your father in heaven is perfect , then we have......

Our righteousness is but a filthy sackcloth, we also have

Call me not a good one for no body is a good person except mg father in heaven....

All these contradicting passages are found in the bible......How can you make me understand I am still meant to be perfect.
Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by Paulopackager(m): 8:35am On Mar 28, 2017
WE HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT WE ARE SAVED BY FAITH AND NOT BY WORKS. BEING RIGHTEOUS IS NOT BY TRYING YOUR BEST NOT TO LIE OR STEAL BUT BY A CONTINUAL BELIEF IN OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST PLUS WORKS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS.
Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by Syncan(m): 3:08pm On Mar 28, 2017
FreeSpirited:
think about these bibke passages:

All things are possible for those that believe.

Be perfect as your father in heaven is perfect , then we have......

Our righteousness is but a filthy sackcloth, we also have

Call me not a good one for no body is a good person except mg father in heaven....

All these contradicting passages are found in the bible......How can you make me understand I am still meant to be perfect.

First, I saw what you wrote in the opening post seeking clarification, and I did my best to enlighten you, yet not even as much as an acknowledgment from you, ok o.

On the matter you just raised, phrases and clauses are not picked out from scripture arbitrarily. The context of such speeches are taking into consideration, and that's the problem of personal interpretation of scriptures.

In the quote about righteousness being like filty rags, taken from Isaiah 64:6, you need to study verse 5 first and see that Isaiah said something like "we have all sinned, gone astray..." So for such who have gone astray and does not keep God's ordinance, what such consider as righteous cannot be perfect.

on the matter of good teachers...Note that Jesus was teaching something there. First that God is the supreme good, and united in God only can man be good. It was a temptation from the ruler and Jesus didn't fall for pride. That you may understand this , recall that Jesus said himself" I am the good Shepherd".

Be perfect, for your heavenly father is perfect. This is a clear admonission from Jesus. A Christian can reach perfection, but in union with God,thats you supplying your effort, and God supplying His Grace. Christ death and resurrection has merited you that grace. With God nothing is impossible.

1 Like

Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by Syncan(m): 3:13pm On Mar 28, 2017
Paulopackager:
WE HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT WE ARE SAVED BY FAITH AND NOT BY WORKS. BEING RIGHTEOUS IS NOT BY TRYING YOUR BEST NOT TO LIE OR STEAL BUT BY A CONTINUAL BELIEF IN OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST PLUS WORKS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS.

We are saved by grace. Your faith without good works is dead James 2:14-26
Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by FreeSpirited: 3:47pm On Mar 28, 2017
Syncan:

First, I saw what you wrote in the opening post seeking clarification, and I did my best to enlighten you, yet not even as much as an acknowledgment from you, ok o.

On the matter you just raised, phrases and clauses are not picked out from scripture arbitrarily. The context of such speeches are taking into consideration, and that's the problem of personal interpretation of scriptures.

In the quote about righteousness being like filty rags, taken from Isaiah 64:6, you need to study verse 5 first and see that Isaiah said something like "we have all sinned, gone astray..." So for such who have gone astray and does not keep God's ordinance, what such consider as righteous cannot be perfect.

on the matter of good teachers...Note that Jesus was teaching something there. First that God is the supreme good, and united in God only can man be good. It was a temptation from the ruler and Jesus didn't fall for pride. That you may understand this , recall that Jesus said himself" I am the good Shepherd".

Be perfect, for your heavenly father is perfect. This is a clear admonission from Jesus. A Christian can reach perfection, but in union with God,thats you supplying your effort, and God supplying His Grace. Christ death and resurrection has merited you that grace. With God nothing is impossible.
I acknowledged you though....I liked your post
U be strong pastor

1 Like

Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by Syncan(m): 4:01pm On Mar 28, 2017
FreeSpirited:
I acknowledged you though....I liked your post
U be strong pastor

Hahahaha, now you're tempting me like that man did Jesus, Only Jesus is strong, the solid rock. Only Him pastors the sheep.cheesy

Thanks, God bless you.
Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Mar 28, 2017
I'm tempted to gate-crash this.... grin
Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by Syncan(m): 4:09pm On Mar 28, 2017
SirWere:
I'm tempted to gate-crash this.... grin

Lol, no one is above temptation.
Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by Paulopackager(m): 6:42pm On Apr 10, 2017
Syncan:

We are saved by grace. Your faith without good works is dead James 2:14-26
PLS LETS UNDERSTAND D SCRIPTURE. JAMES 2 WAS SPECIFICALLY TALKING MORE OF MANIFESTATION OF OUR BELIEF. I.E FAITH + WORKS = MANIFESTATION. READ V 15,16. WHAT DOES IT V 21 AND 22 ALSO SAYS? ABRAHAM WAS JUSTIFIED BY WORKS PLUS FAITH MADE HIM PERFECT IN GODS SIGHT. A PERFECT PERSON IS A SAINT AND WILL DEFINITELY BE SAVED IF HE CONTINUALLY WROUGHT THIS PROCESS. IT IS CORRECT TO SAY WE ARE SAVED BY GRACE BUT DONT FORGET ITS THE GRACE WEVE RECIEVED THAT BRINGS ABOUT FAITH I.E BRINGS ABOUT OUR BELIEVE IN CHRIST JESUS. WITHOUT CHRIST JESUS WE CANT ENJOY GRACE AND WE CANT BELIEVE. READ GAL 3. PRECISELY 3:8.
Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by Syncan(m): 8:01am On Apr 11, 2017
Paulopackager:

PLS LETS UNDERSTAND D SCRIPTURE. JAMES 2 WAS SPECIFICALLY TALKING MORE OF MANIFESTATION OF OUR BELIEF. I.E FAITH + WORKS = MANIFESTATION. READ V 15,16. WHAT DOES IT V 21 AND 22 ALSO SAYS? ABRAHAM WAS JUSTIFIED BY WORKS PLUS FAITH MADE HIM PERFECT IN GODS SIGHT. A PERFECT PERSON IS A SAINT AND WILL DEFINITELY BE SAVED IF HE CONTINUALLY WROUGHT THIS PROCESS. IT IS CORRECT TO SAY WE ARE SAVED BY GRACE BUT DONT FORGET ITS THE GRACE WEVE RECIEVED THAT BRINGS ABOUT FAITH I.E BRINGS ABOUT OUR BELIEVE IN CHRIST JESUS. WITHOUT CHRIST JESUS WE CANT ENJOY GRACE AND WE CANT BELIEVE. READ GAL 3. PRECISELY 3:8.

You keep saying "lets understand scripture", yet you're the one who clearly needs to learn. I pointed out something to you, it's completely scriptural, instead of acknowledging and changing your initial thoughts you go about writing many things and confusing yourself. You said am correct to say we're saved by grace (ofcourse its biblical), then it means you're wrong to say "we're saved by faith and not work" simple. St.James did not mince words, he was very clear about this thus: Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only....James 2:24. Faith is not a manifestation of belief as you try to claim, Faith is Belief. Rather faith and works could be said to be manifestations of Grace.
Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by Paulopackager(m): 1:57pm On Apr 18, 2019
Lol. Ignorance is a disease. I am saint by the grace of God which is Christ.
Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by Kobojunkie: 9:33pm On Dec 29, 2023
FreeSpirited:
I realise the title 'saint' is assigned to a few people in some christian sect. I have no idea how they came about such title. Does being a saint means the person is totally flawless and without any sin? What's the justification? Is it biblical?
■ Considering the fact that Jesus rebuked those who once called him 'a good person' , by saying no one is good except his father in heaven.
■ What are the yardsticks that qualifies someone to be a saint and who assigns the title. I just need some clarifications and l want to learn....Thanks
Close examination of the epistles reveals that the term "saint" was used to refer to those who through continuous submission and obedience to the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ have been made Holy — Children of God —, and approved righteous by God Himself, and had been sealed by God — the first fruits of the Kingdom of God. Those referred to as saints existed during the first century and were sent out before Jerusalem was destroyed into the world to gather the rest of Israel back to God in the end. undecided

Of them was written the following in the book of Isaiah.
18 “They have evil thoughts and do evil things, so I am coming to punish them. I will gather all nations and all people. Everyone will be gathered together to see my Glory.[c]
19 I will put a mark on some of the people. I will send some of these saved people to the nations of Tarshish, Libya,[d] Lud[e] (the land of archers), Tubal,[f] Greece, and all the faraway lands. Those people have never heard my teachings. They have never seen my Glory. So the saved people will tell the nations about my glory.
20 And they will bring all your brothers and sisters from those other nations to my holy mountain[g] Jerusalem as an offering to the Lord. Your brothers and sisters will ride on horses, mules, camels, and in chariots and wagons. They will be like the gifts that the Israelites bring on clean plates to the Temple of the Lord.
21 I will also choose some of these people to be priests and Levites.” The Lord himself said this. - Isaiah 66 vs 18 - 21

2. Jesus Christ told you that He is God's Way, God's Truth, and God's Eternal Life. He never said He was also God's Goodness, so calling Him God's Goodness(RIghteousness) when He was none of that was of course unacceptable. Yes, He too had to be approved Righteous by God but God's Righteousness(the standard), He wasn't. undecided

3. Jesus Christ called His followers to Holiness(Seek ye first the Kingdom of God), and God's Righteousness. Only God had the power to make men saints and He already chose those whom He made such— sealed them so they were guaranteed Heaven at the end. For the rest of us, only those who stand faithful until the very end will obtain the reward that is God's Heaven. undecided
Re: What Qualifies Someone To Be A Saint? by Kobojunkie: 9:50pm On Dec 29, 2023
2cato:
To me saints are imperfct humans who are also sinner but continue to do and try their best to become perfect and righteous in the ways of God. From the above it shows any body can become saint
I believe this is wrong! undecided

First, Perfection in the context of Scripture refers to Holiness— complying with God's Law, His teachings, and commandments. Those who are Holy know God, they can and do sin from time to time but God ALWAYS forgives them of their sins when they ask it of Him, a privilege that the unholy cannot boast of. David was a righteous man of God yet he sinned but God forgave David his sins when David asked it of Him. undecided

Second, to be a saint, one must first become holy and be approved Righteous by God Himself. Jesus Christ commanded His followers to seek first the Kingdom of God (Holiness), and God's Righteousness so that all these things — the blessings and promises of the Kingdom of God — shall be added onto them. So, one who is considered a Saint in Scripture can't have anything less. The difference, however, is that the saints spoken of in the epistles were righteous followers of Jesus Christ who had been sealed by God — God guaranteed they would all get the reward of Heaven at the end. This is because of the special work God had for them to do as He sent them out from Jerusalem right before the city was destroyed in 70 AD. Not anybody can become a saint since the Saints were the first-fruits sent out by God Himself back over 1900 years ago. undecided

All other followers of Jesus Christ are expected by Jesus Christ to stand faithful until the end to earn the reward of Heaven when He returns and judges them all. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Watch How This Man Accidentally Hangs Himself As He Plays Judas In Easter Play / Freedom From Destructive Habits - Joseph Prince / Four Reasons Why You Need To Start Serving God As A Youth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.