Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

10 Things You Should Know About Internet Of Things (iot) – Ideology - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 10 Things You Should Know About Internet Of Things (iot) – Ideology (1310 Views)

InventTech Building A Global IoT-based Hardware Company / 5 Basic Facts You Should Know About The Human Body / The Internet Of Things (IoT): Everything You Need To Know. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things You Should Know About Internet Of Things (iot) – Ideology by ideology(m): 11:08am On Mar 27, 2017
The Internet of Things with each passing year gets more media coverage. It has gone beyond what is obtainable in sci-fi movies and gradually being a part of our everyday lives.

Have you ever thought of owning a refrigerator that can communicate with you? Inform you when you are running short of milk, beef, cheese, etc. We are already have this model of fridges in USA. They Fridge can also place order for items that are out of stock at home from a nearby store.

Wow! The next word coming from your mouth, i guess ... grin

The following are 10 things we need to know about Internet of things

1. What is the Internet of Things
From the name, this is simply the connection of ‘things’ to the internet. These things include our smartphones, cars, refrigerators, TVs, clothes, wearables and much more. Think of it as an organism sustained by the internet.

2. Is the Internet of Things new?

Not exactly. The idea has been around virtually since the birth of the modern internet. One notable early example of IoT was at Carnegie Melon University from the early 1980s. Local programmers used the internet on a Coca Cola machine to check if drinks were available and if they were cold.

3. What are the potential applications of IoT
Imagine coming from work and telling the air conditioner to keep your room cool 30 minutes before you get home. A factory can know the exact machines to replace when faults arise. The possibilities are practically endless. There are even the talks of building smart cities.

Read Also – What is Augmented Reality in IT ?

4. Driverless cars are part of the ride
Driverless cars are already gaining ground. Google, Tesla, Uber and even Blackberry have driverless car projects. They will be an integral of the ecosystem of an IoT supported society.

5. IoT is growing at an alarming rate
For the Internet of Things to take shape there have to be many internet-connected devices. According to Gartner, over 6.4 billion devices were connected to the internet in 2016. This is excluding smartphones, tablets, and computers. While there have been conflicting estimates, there is no doubt that internet connected devices are growing in their numbers.

6. IoT will require a staggering amount of processing and data
The potentials are indeed endless with different hardware able to take certain actions on behalf of users. However, IoT will require many data to work with. Billions of connected devices will be collecting data, which is analyzed and stored in real time. You’ll agree that that is an insane amount of processing power needed

7. It will be cloud based
With the amount of data generated every second, there is no better storage option than in the cloud. This cloud will also help in retrieving information whenever, wherever.

8. The Internet of Things will impact economies
McKinsey forecasts an economic impact of $3.9 trillion to $11.1 trillion by the year 2025. This is a lot of money that will have a definite impact on world economy.

9. New set of privacy issues
An innovation like IoT comes with a new set of privacy issues. Just how much can we share with those managing this data?

10. Security could be a potential grey area
There’s still much debate on just how safe IoT can be. In an environment where everything is connected to the internet, this puts a new arsenal in the hands of hackers and other bad people.

Source - http://www.ideologieshub.com.ng/internet-of-things-iot-10-things-you-should-know/

What are your opinions on this new IT invent?

Share your views and comment …

CC: Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

1 Share

Re: 10 Things You Should Know About Internet Of Things (iot) – Ideology by ideology(m): 3:04pm On Mar 27, 2017
Hi Seun,

Here is another fresh content, kindly do the needful.. wink wink wink

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: 10 Things You Should Know About Internet Of Things (iot) – Ideology by AideeSheks(m): 9:57pm On Apr 08, 2017
This is one topic I'm especially interested in. I really hope Nigerians do not sit back while the rest of the world is continuously tapping into this. Honestly, the possibilities the IoT offers are almost beyond imagination.
Re: 10 Things You Should Know About Internet Of Things (iot) – Ideology by ideology(m): 2:02am On Apr 09, 2017
We have allowed the politicians to give us topics to think, every week new news.

Where the world is going, Nigeria is busy still importing toothpick .....

Do you think we will meet up ?
AideeSheks:
This is one topic I'm especially interested in. I really hope Nigerians do not sit back while the rest of the world is continuously tapping into this. Honestly, the possibilities the IoT offers are almost beyond imagination.
Re: 10 Things You Should Know About Internet Of Things (iot) – Ideology by daveP(m): 1:24pm On Apr 10, 2017
i trust nigerians questions like "light dey, garri plenty or fuel dey" would be on the list. politicians would use it to track efcc or ballot boxes

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Know About Internet Of Things (iot) – Ideology by ideology(m): 5:59pm On Apr 10, 2017
daveP:
i trust nigerians questions like "light dey, garri plenty or fuel dey" would be on the list. politicians would use it to track efcc or ballot boxes
lol

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Know About Internet Of Things (iot) – Ideology by AideeSheks(m): 6:06pm On Apr 10, 2017
ideology:
We have allowed the politicians to give us topics to think, every week new news.

Where the world is going, Nigeria is busy still importing toothpick .....

Do you think we will meet up ?
Honestly, meeting up might be too much to ask for with the way things are going. But nonetheless, we can still start from somewhere instead of just staying aside while we're left light years behind by the rest of the world.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Know About Internet Of Things (iot) – Ideology by ideology(m): 6:18pm On Apr 10, 2017
Our Govt is not doing much, almost nothing about technology, young guys are just the ones trying to be creative and source for Tech investors.
Its a pity
AideeSheks:

Honestly, meeting up might be too much to ask for with the way things are going. But nonetheless, we can still start from somewhere instead of just staying aside while we're left light years behind by the rest of the world.
Re: 10 Things You Should Know About Internet Of Things (iot) – Ideology by AideeSheks(m): 4:54pm On Apr 16, 2017
In my own opinion, it's not too late for us young Nigerian enthusiasts to join the party. And we can only achieve that by starting from the basics. Yes, perhaps the dream of us developing our own driverless cars still appears a long shot for now but we can nonetheless look at some less complicated concepts that will add value to our society. A typical example is developing smart traffic control systems for our highways, I don't see why we can't design such for ourselves.
Also, I remember designing an android based home automation system as my final year project back in school. Now that I've gotten to know a lot about IoT, it really opened my eyes to the many possibilities and capabilities the design could have had if it had been integrated into the internet of things. I'm talking about achieving the ideal smart home where your devices operate to your desire with very minimal or no intervention from you at all. Honestly, the prospects the IoT offers are really exciting to think about.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Know About Internet Of Things (iot) – Ideology by priyankayadav: 10:37am On Sep 12, 2023
Re: 10 Things You Should Know About Internet Of Things (iot) – Ideology by priyankayadav: 10:43am On Sep 12, 2023
The Internet of Things (IoT) is a revolutionary technology that connects everyday objects and devices to the internet, enabling them to collect and exchange data. This interconnected network of smart devices enhances automation, efficiency, and convenience across various industries, from home automation to industrial processes and healthcare, transforming the way we live and work.IoT has several benefits, some of which are listed below: enables information access on any device, at any time, from anywhere. increases communication between electronically connected items. allows data packets to be transferred via a linked network, which can help you save time and money. If you are looking for an IoT certification course I suggest The IoT Academy. It provides the best digital marketing course in Noida and many courses like Machine Learning, Embedded Systems, Full Stack Java Development, and the Internet of Things.
Re: 10 Things You Should Know About Internet Of Things (iot) – Ideology by shreygautam: 9:46am On Oct 10, 2023
The Internet of Things (IoT) is a transformative technology that connects everyday objects to the internet, enabling data exchange and automation. Here are ten key points:
1) IoT devices collect data.
2) Enhances efficiency
3) Security is a concern
4) Interoperability is essential
5) IoT impacts industries
6) Privacy issues arise
7) Data analytics is crucial
cool IoT adoption is growing
9) Smart cities are emerging
10) IoT offers vast potential.
To gain expertise in this field, consider The IoT Academy's IoT training certification, ensuring you're well-prepared for this dynamic industry's challenges and opportunities.
Re: 10 Things You Should Know About Internet Of Things (iot) – Ideology by jackharry007(m): 11:44am On Oct 12, 2023
The Web of Things, or IoT, alludes to the billions of actual gadgets all over the planet that are currently associated with the web,

(1) (Reply)

How To Tell If A Snake Is Venomous Vs Non Venomous (Photos) / Transpeed M98-8K Plus With Android 13+allwinner H618 Soc / Internet Dongles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.