Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,452 members, 7,846,894 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 06:33 AM

25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians (30603 Views)

Tension!! As Father Mbaka Replies Peter Obi And Nigerians / 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know / Independence Day: Osinbajo Makes Prophetic Declarations About Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Ajaodolapo(m): 6:48pm On Mar 28, 2017
Benita27:
Being able to read qurans isn't tantamount to being literate. At the precolonial era, the SE and SS where believed to be the most Literate regions in Nigeria because they embraced Western Education and due to their level of enlightenment they were able to frustrate Lugard's direct role system which went smoothly in the North because of their illiteracy.

Mind you, I am not in any way talking down on the Northern region. It's History!. The op is totally wrong on this one. grin
first of all, being able to recite nd write Quran is literacy, u myt wana chck ur dictionary as to what exactly is called LITERACY. secondly, it was only in the north that der were records of written text, no record of written text were found in any other part of the country. Oral literature is how we preserved our cultures and ideas. Thirdly, there is no such thing as WESTERN EDUCATION, you Shuld rather say SECULAR EDUCATION, and record of ADVANCE chemistry, mathematics and algorithm were seen in the north as dey strive to attend university of timbaktu in Mali.u call dem illiterate bcus they weren't informed by their enemies (slave master) and so dey culdnt use them subjugate nd entrench their evil scheme of indirect rule. Learn ur history, brother

1 Like

Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Omoluabi16(m): 6:49pm On Mar 28, 2017
lost glories. If it's the will of God, let us us recover it all. . if not let us go our separate ways and each of us to chart our respective course.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by iambijo(m): 7:17pm On Mar 28, 2017
Benita27:
Being able to read and write. What happened now?, did they stop reading and reading with how populated they are?. They should remain on that spot if that's the basis.
nope they didn't stop reading and writing in arabic,western education is a bonus+ it's bad reading arabic ? *when ever you'll write again balance hate and selfishness.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Herrmes: 7:58pm On Mar 28, 2017
I will make it outta this country, too much backwardness and hate.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by whizcartel(m): 8:42pm On Mar 28, 2017
spartan117:
One Nigeria till death
You and Who?
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by spartan117(m): 8:49pm On Mar 28, 2017
whizcartel:
You and Who?
Me and u grin
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Mutuwa(m): 9:23pm On Mar 28, 2017
iambijo:
nope they didn't stop reading and writing in arabic,western education is a bonus+ it's bad reading arabic ? *when ever you'll write again balance hate and selfishness.

the northerners are by default illiterates (according to sadist and love children) ask them, how come with their level of education (as widely proclaimed, and if any)they are still being ruled by the north? maybe they are illiterates too on another angle yet to be looked into, which they themselves don't really understand.

2 Likes

Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by whizcartel(m): 9:29pm On Mar 28, 2017
spartan117:
Me and u grin
lol. I'm not Nigerian anymore.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by juman(m): 9:40pm On Mar 28, 2017
Agimor:
Tired of reading 10BC interesting facts about Nigerians... We need 21st century facts about Nigerians.

nigeria is a country without good news.

A country that moves backward instead of moving forward.

A country always with bad "leaders".
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by stonemasonn: 9:50pm On Mar 28, 2017
Mutuwa:

the northerners are by default illiterates (according to sadist and love children) ask them, how come with their level of education (as widely proclaimed, and if any)they are still being ruled by the north? maybe they are illiterates too on another angle yet to be looked into, which they themselves don't really understand.
No they are not by default illiterate but the kind of education they had 100 years ago is no longer relevant today. Secondly the north still rules the south because of the support they get from the west (Europe), the west control of Nigerian oil wealth is guaranteed by northern (especially Fulani) rule.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Ojiofor: 9:54pm On Mar 28, 2017
Debaddest:
The north was the more literate part of Nigeria in the past. According to Lord Luggard, there were 25,000 Qur’anic Arabic schools with about 250,000 pupils in the north, if I hear, so what happened

25,000 Almajiri schools...don't argue its very true.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by noziz(m): 10:06pm On Mar 28, 2017
maclatunji:
Nigeria, a country blessed with approximately 160 million people stands as the giant of Africa and the seventh most populous nation in the world. Nigeria continues to attract people from neighbouring countries and foreign investors alike, as it is one of the liveliest places in Africa and home to Lagos one of the most prominent citadel city of industry and commerce in sub-Saharan Africa. Its journey as an independent nation may have started in the 60’s but its history and culture dates far back to the precolonial era.

Contrary to what several people believe, many aspects of modern day life in Nigeria began to take shape as various states began to thrive and a sudden bloom in the economy saw an increase in the influx of investors.

State of the art facilities began to spring up across major cities like Abuja, Lagos and Port Harcourt.

The elite few began to spend more on leisure life, various resorts in Lagos and across major states, luxury hotels like Federal Palace Hotel Lagos became the hub of relaxation for elites who required top notch service.

Listed below are 25 interesting/fun facts about Nigeria and its people.

1.Nigeria was formed under Governor Fredericke up one-fifth of the total population of Black Africa.

3.The Nigerian currency was introduced in 1959.

4.With 521 languages, Nigeria is the third most multi lingual country in the world according to ethnologue.

5.In the 1850s, Kano, one of the largest cities in Africa, made 10 million sandal pairs and 5 million hides for export annually.

6. In 1246 AD the Kanemi of Borno created a sensation in Tunisia when he sent a gift of a giraffe to Al-Mustapha, king of Tunis.

7. In 1000AD, Queen Luwo, the twenty-first Ooni of Ile-Ife supervised the design and construction of the streets with quartz pebble and broken pottery. Originally created to pave the way for the queen so as not to soil her clothing and feet during the rainy season. By the 14th and 15th centuries, apaadi Luwo had become part of the architectural heritage of Ife.

8. Lord Lugard described Kano: ‘Commercial emporium of the western Sudan.’ Of its wall, he said, ‘I have never seen, nor even imagined, anything like it in Africa.’ He estimated in 1904 that there were 170 walled towns still in existence in the whole of just the Kano province of northern Nigeria.

9. The Guinness Book of World Records (1974) describes the walls of Benin City as the world's second largest man-made structure after China's Great Wall. “The Walls of Benin City was the world's largest man-made earth structure.” Fred Pearce wrote in New Scientist. Finished in 1460, the Benin Iya or moat is a historic world defence wonder. Before it was ravaged by the British in 1897, it was known as one of the largest man made structure lengthwise and considered as the largest earth work in the world by most.

10. Established in 1965, Cocoa house in the city of Ibadan, Oyo state was once the tallest building in tropical Africa.

11.Discovered in 1928, Nigeria’s North and North Central region hosts West Africa’s oldest civilization; the Nok, which flourished between 1000 BC and 300 BC.

12. In 1976, 75 kobo exchanged for one British Pound and 60 kobo for one US dollar.

13. 5 of the 10 richest pastors in the entire world are Nigerians, with net worth’s according to Forbes, from $10-150 million. They include; Pastors, David Oyedepo, E. A. Adeboye, Chris Oyakhilome, Temitope Joshua and Mathew Ashimolowo.

14. A brand new car sold for N2000 in 1975.
this was when our Naira had value. come try ham now na

15. A ticket to London was less than N100 in 1975.

16. Until 1984, travel visa was not required to travel to the United Kingdom.

17. King of Kanem-Bornu, Idrîs Aloma (1571-1603) went on pilgrimage and came across firearms. He brought some guns backfirearms. He brought some guns back, along with Turks to train his army on how to use them.

18. The north was the more literate part of Nigeria in the past. According to Lord Luggard, there were 25,000 Qur’anic Arabic schools with about 250,000 pupils in the north.

19. Legendary Fela’s mother, Mrs. Fumilayo Ransome-Kuti was one of the delegates that negotiated Nigeria’s independence in Britain.

20. The Adubi war in 1918 was a major uprising by 30,000 Abeokuta Egba warriors against the colonial government for colonization, taxation and slave labor. One British was killed, rail and telegraph lines were destroyed. The British rewarded their soldiers with medals for quelling the uprising.

21. Nigeria’s north (719,000 sq. km), makes up 80% of Nigeria’s land mass. It is four times the South in size.

22. Repatriated Brazilian and Cuban slaves were known as the Amaros; they are the ‘Aguda’ people of Lagos today.

23. According to U.S Bureau Census data, Nigerian immigrants have the highest education attainment level in the United States, surpassing every other ethnic group in the country,

24. The Yoruba ethnic group and its bloodlines have the highest rate of twins in the world.

25. Nigeria’s Aliko Dangote is the richest Black person in the world, with a net worth of $16.1bn.

Source: http://www.coolstuff49ja.com/2017/03/25-interesting-facts-about-nigeria-and.html#.WNpRtdLQfIU
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by iambijo(m): 10:10pm On Mar 28, 2017
Mutuwa:

i wonder i always why this hate? we are literate b4 we ever mix with them my friend.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by jerrybakermillz(m): 4:32am On Mar 29, 2017
Gbam.... Glad with shared same philosophy [1quote author=Bollinger post=55039116]

I have held that view for many years. Corruption blossomed under OBJ. He galvanized it to the levels we see today. He hurt this country more than any other leader in our history.[/quote]
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Neddyogu(m): 6:47am On Mar 29, 2017
Debaddest:
The north was the more literate part of Nigeria in the past. According to Lord Luggard, there were 25,000 Qur’anic Arabic schools with about 250,000 pupils in the north, if I hear, so what happened

Literacy doesn't always have to be in the English language. Societies under Arab influence have bn literate for centuries before the advent of European imperialists
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by AreaFada2: 8:02am On Mar 29, 2017
Benita27:
Cool, but whether British pounds abi Nigerian pounds?, I don't know which but was aware they were using the pounds at that era.

Sure. Reason why it matters is that some say if we had retained Pounds, it would be as strong as Pounds Sterling today. It wouldn't because the pound that changed in 1973 was already Nigerian indigenous pounds. Nigerian pounds today would just be weak as our Naira. cheesy
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Emmanuel602(m): 1:54pm On Mar 29, 2017
Debaddest:

Most northerners can read and write Arabic. In fact ever Alamajiri is fluent in Arabic language
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by maclatunji: 12:46pm On Mar 30, 2017
Neddyogu:

Literacy doesn't always have to be in the English language. Societies under Arab influence have bn literate for centuries before the advent of European imperialists

Don't mind that one displaying ignorance.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by dingbang(m): 8:06am On Apr 29, 2017
Floxyluv:
Nigeria is still home, it's ours. I love Nigeria, it's our collective responsibility to make it better.
I think I know you. Ur username is familiar
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Nobody: 8:25am On Apr 29, 2017
dingbang:
I think I know you. Ur username is familiar

It's possible, but your username doesn't ring a bell.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by dingbang(m): 8:26am On Apr 29, 2017
Floxyluv:

It's possible, but your username doesn't ring a bell.
went to Madonna uni?
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Nobody: 8:30am On Apr 29, 2017
dingbang:
went to Madonna uni?

No, igbinedion university smiley
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by dingbang(m): 8:32am On Apr 29, 2017
Floxyluv:

No, igbinedion university smiley
all join.. I sent a pm.. Please can we chat there. I'd like to know you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Princess Remi, Femi Fani-Kayode's Daughter Graduates From School / PDP Crisis: Atiku, Wike Strike Deal / EU Denies Asking INEC Chairman To Resign And For Tinubu To Be Disqualified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.