Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,707 members, 7,823,999 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Why Can't Nigeria As A Nation Adopt The Use Of The Dollar As Our Local Currency. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Can't Nigeria As A Nation Adopt The Use Of The Dollar As Our Local Currency. (1034 Views)

Naira Depreciates To ₦410 Per Dollar As Local Currency Weakens / Today's Naira Exchange Rate Against The Dollar, Pounds And Euro / Naira Strengthens Against The Dollar As Bdc Intervention Goes On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't Nigeria As A Nation Adopt The Use Of The Dollar As Our Local Currency. by sambright(m): 7:38pm On Mar 28, 2017
I am of the opinion that since our economy is import dependent why can't we adopt and adapt the dollar as our local currency? at least it would save us from inflation and globe economies.... In addition Canada as a country make use of the Canadian dollar which is almost close to US dollar when converted; Nigerian can have their own Nigerian dollar.

Scholars should please help me out.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria As A Nation Adopt The Use Of The Dollar As Our Local Currency. by Horus(m): 7:45pm On Mar 28, 2017
Colonial mentality!. Why the Dollar?, what about a common single currency for all countries in Africa?

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigeria As A Nation Adopt The Use Of The Dollar As Our Local Currency. by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:45pm On Mar 28, 2017
renaming our currency to Nigeria Dollar will add NOTHING to its value...

Please, what is the value of Zimbabwean Dollar?

BTW I hope you aren't suggesting that we adopt the US Dollar? That will be suicidal

5 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigeria As A Nation Adopt The Use Of The Dollar As Our Local Currency. by Eno38151: 7:48pm On Mar 28, 2017
You should read up on the concept of currency, the dollar only has the current value it has because the majority if not all of opec members sell their oil in exchange for the dollar hence creating the demand for it and boosting the curency thereby.

There is nothing special about the dollar, the American dollar is a separate curency, if Nigeria were to adopt the dollar, it would not make Nigerias currency equal to the american dollar, they would still be 2 different currencies.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigeria As A Nation Adopt The Use Of The Dollar As Our Local Currency. by Khd95(m): 7:50pm On Mar 28, 2017
My own question,is why cant N5 buy anything in this country again.
Pls pple should attend to my question too,cos iam not understanding any more
Re: Why Can't Nigeria As A Nation Adopt The Use Of The Dollar As Our Local Currency. by Nobody: 8:07pm On Mar 28, 2017
Khd95:
My own question,is why cant N5 buy anything in this country again.

Pls pple should attend to my question too,cos iam not understanding any more
grin
Let me think...
Yes! You can buy Zorro sweet for #5.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Nigeria As A Nation Adopt The Use Of The Dollar As Our Local Currency. by sambright(m): 8:36am On Mar 29, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
renaming our currency to Nigeria Dollar will add NOTHING to its value...

Please, what is the value of Zimbabwean Dollar?

BTW I hope you aren't suggesting that we adopt the US Dollar? That will be suicidal

Why would it be suicidal when every transaction in this country is based on the dollar...
Re: Why Can't Nigeria As A Nation Adopt The Use Of The Dollar As Our Local Currency. by sambright(m): 8:41am On Mar 29, 2017
Eno38151:

There is nothing special about the dollar, the American dollar is a separate curency, if Nigeria were to adopt the dollar, it would not make Nigerias currency equal to the american dollar, they would still be 2 different currencies.

When we export, they pay us in dollars; when will import, we pay them in dollars...is it that our Naira is not acceptable in making business transactions outside our climes and why do we keep basing our business transaction on the dollar.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria As A Nation Adopt The Use Of The Dollar As Our Local Currency. by Eno38151: 4:39pm On Mar 29, 2017
sambright:

When we export, they pay us in dollars; when will import, we pay them in dollars...is it that our Naira is not acceptable in making business transactions outside our climes and why do we keep basing our business transaction on the dollar.

@sambright i dont know for them ooh, its just politics and more precisely political exploitation ooh, they stole 4rm africans through colonialism, now they do it through forcing them to accept "world bodies" like IMF and the implementation of policies that will mainly further their own interests/agenda to our great expense.

And the worst part is that the people at CBN will say we are trying to boost the NAIRA/Economy while boosting other currencies and they will call the same people that this current situation is working in their favour (as experts) and expect them to just come and and reverse it to our favour.

They will tell the people "Buy Made In Nigeria" or whatever but the government doesn't "Buy Made in Nigeria".

You know even PMB recently said when he refused to devalue the Naira as the IMF recommended that was when he was overthrown. Gaddafi and Saddam too, they were just talking about their actions on TV but when they sought to move away from the dollar, that was when they had to go.

Mugabe when he sought to reduce the white mans influence on Zimbabwe (the white people that are not native to Zimbabwe, own majority of the farming land.) The same white people that were fighting and killing them when he and them Mandela were fighting apartheid. Because he just took back the land that they claimed as their own and gave it back to the black people they placed​ sanctions on him that make his government incapable of delivering on the basics that it should be able to. Then they say he can't even provide for his people that are dying of hunger, forgetting that their sanctions are what caused​ the situation in the 1st place.

Yahya Jammeh had a nice statement that he made when accused by western backed journalists of failing " abject poverty drove the Europeans to Africa (colonialization) they should pay back interest on what they have stolen"

They sabotage africans and blame them for the predicament that they place them in. They label them "3rd World" & "under-developed".

Beacuse we are Nigerians and we get a full dose of reality on a daily basis we know that "The hope on a politicians tongue never ever trickles down to the city".
And in the words of pete edochie "a set of white teeth (even a white face) is not an assurance of a good heart".

Enough said.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Best Business Idea For A Student. / Fiverr Review Available / Interested In Deploying Tableau Into Your Organisation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.