Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,754 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class (3159 Views)

I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd / Lady Shares Before & After Photos With Her Dad After He Graduated With Masters / Beautiful Lady Who Graduated With Third Class Shares Her Touching Story (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by tosynomolara(f): 6:29pm On Mar 29, 2017
Soyinka Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka has dispelled the insinuation that he graduated with third-class division.

He made this disclosure in Aboekuta on Sunday when he hosted secondary school students across the country as part of this year’s Open Door Series Project, an international cultural exchange programme.

Soyinka said that he graduated from the University College, Ibadan with a Second Class Upper.

He explained that although he had kept silent on the issue over the years, he decided to open up for the first time over the rumour as a mark of respect for the participants.

The programme was organised as part of activities to mark his 79th birthday.

Soyinka appealed to the students, particularly, those studying in the violence-prone areas of the north, not to be discouraged by the activities of Boko Haram sect.

He urged them to draw inspiration from the 16-year-old Pakistani girl, Malala Yousafzai, who was shot in the head on October 9, 2012 by Taliban fighters over her campaign for girl-child education in Pakistan.

Soyinka, who fielded questions from 79 student participants, charged them to cultivate zero tolerance for failure and strive to excel in all their endeavours.

“It might look very negative and hopeless, but we must not allow ourselves to be discouraged.

“The fact that people are still going to schools in those violence-prone areas shows that we should not be discouraged.

“You are not a complete human being if you are not educated, schooled or cultured.

“No matter what goes on around you, you must insist on your education.’’

Earlier, Gov. Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun, described Soyinka as a world citizen and encouraged the participants in the essay competition to emulate his life and be more studious.

Amosun commended the organisers and re-stated the commitment of his administration to celebrate prominent Nigerians whose lives have remained sources of inspiration to younger generation.

The event, tagged: “Memoirs of our future”, was organised by a Lagos based multimedia company, Zmirage, in conjunction with the Ogun State Government.

– NAN
Video Photos
Government Jobs

Following the certificate forgery scandal rocking Senator Dino Melaye, representing Kogi West, the lawmaker has not taken to to shame while some third graduates are growing in morale.

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by SexyNairalander: 6:32pm On Mar 29, 2017
booked
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 29, 2017
Hum... Different stories in Nija.
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by Epositive(m): 6:34pm On Mar 29, 2017
uncle wole is the new character in this endless movie shocked
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by JAHseal: 6:34pm On Mar 29, 2017
Sage, no mind that bingo (dino)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by Ashleydolls(f): 6:38pm On Mar 29, 2017
Second Class Upper not Third Class

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by Nobody: 6:42pm On Mar 29, 2017
grin grin grin grin

Op your write up was doing well until you did what to my understanding is an unnecessary attack on folks with poor results.

It'll be a cat and mouse game of "for and against" to go that route if I wanted to.

Every class of degree counts for different types of knowledge , those with indepth knowledge made the top grades and those with the "good to have" knowledge, came out with the less good grades.

In between the top and bottom some have been drifting; my point is let's do away with this certificate bashing as it serves no other purpose than to start a class war which our society is already rife with.

If you made a thirdy out there good for you never give up and if you are one of the eagles out there keep on accomplishing as we all have a part to play to better the society.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by ITbomb(m): 7:15pm On Mar 29, 2017
I think it's high time the Senate invite him to come and defend his 2:1
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by skilfulsagei(m): 7:18pm On Mar 29, 2017
The clarification is highly imperative so as to draw a line of dichotomy between a student that was forced to leave the university with a third class and an erudite professor of repute. There is nothing wrong with a third class provided you can change your profession or learn a trade.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by Nobody: 7:31pm On Mar 29, 2017
But where is lalasticlala sef ..
Prof show your original certificate
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by obamd: 7:40pm On Mar 29, 2017
I grew up hearing that tale.

I'm wondering how and why he didn't refute it all along

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by AngelicBeing: 8:27pm On Mar 29, 2017
Keneking:
But where is lalasticlala sef ..
Prof show your original certificate
No l will not show it, if Buhari did not show his own , I , an erudite professor & a Nobel laureate will not display mine to a corrupt society tongue

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by Rotimijoguntayo(m): 8:56pm On Mar 29, 2017
tosynomolara:

Soyinka Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka has dispelled the insinuation that he graduated with third-class division.

He made this disclosure in Aboekuta on Sunday when he hosted secondary school students across the country as part of this year’s Open Door Series Project, an international cultural exchange programme.

Soyinka said that he graduated from the University College, Ibadan with a Second Class Upper.

He explained that although he had kept silent on the issue over the years, he decided to open up for the first time over the rumour as a mark of respect for the participants.

The programme was organised as part of activities to mark his 79th birthday.

Soyinka appealed to the students, particularly, those studying in the violence-prone areas of the north, not to be discouraged by the activities of Boko Haram sect.

He urged them to draw inspiration from the 16-year-old Pakistani girl, Malala Yousafzai, who was shot in the head on October 9, 2012 by Taliban fighters over her campaign for girl-child education in Pakistan.

Soyinka, who fielded questions from 79 student participants, charged them to cultivate zero tolerance for failure and strive to excel in all their endeavours.

“It might look very negative and hopeless, but we must not allow ourselves to be discouraged.

“The fact that people are still going to schools in those violence-prone areas shows that we should not be discouraged.

“You are not a complete human being if you are not educated, schooled or cultured.

“No matter what goes on around you, you must insist on your education.’’

Earlier, Gov. Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun, described Soyinka as a world citizen and encouraged the participants in the essay competition to emulate his life and be more studious.

Amosun commended the organisers and re-stated the commitment of his administration to celebrate prominent Nigerians whose lives have remained sources of inspiration to younger generation.

The event, tagged: “Memoirs of our future”, was organised by a Lagos based multimedia company, Zmirage, in conjunction with the Ogun State Government.

– NAN
Video Photos
Government Jobs

Following the certificate forgery scandal rocking Senator Dino Melaye, representing Kogi West, the lawmaker has not taken to to shame while some third graduates are growing in morale.
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by Rotimijoguntayo(m): 8:57pm On Mar 29, 2017
I ve told pple this for long that prof is nt a 3rd product. Can u see

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by marsoden: 9:09pm On Mar 29, 2017
obamd:

I find it hard to believe that he graduated with second class uppers. If he actually did, he would have refuted the 3rd class stories since.
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by Elnino4ladies: 9:40pm On Mar 29, 2017
marsoden:

I find it hard to believe that he graduated with second class uppers. If he actually did, he would have refuted the 3rd class stories since.

Oga, better believe him oh

He didn't graduate with 3rd class

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by Iyowuski: 10:07pm On Mar 29, 2017
You didn't quote him...so I don't believe
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by Doriana2: 11:10pm On Mar 29, 2017
Interesting! Third class graduates have been using him as an excuse to cover up their poor performance in school. Next they will move on to Elumelu who would not even hire them into juicy positions with their third class degree only.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by Nobody: 12:01am On Mar 30, 2017
Professor my foot.

This shameless wifeless Grey haired cultist is a disgrace to Nobel laureate. TUFIAKWA
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by Nobody: 12:24am On Mar 30, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
Professor my foot.

This shameless wifeless Grey haired cultist is a disgrace to Nobel laureate. TUFIAKWA
lol what are you angry at?

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by jericco1(m): 12:42am On Mar 30, 2017
I knew it!
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by BlackOnassis(m): 2:13am On Mar 30, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
Professor my foot.

Frustration has dealt with this one grin

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by Nobody: 3:30am On Mar 30, 2017
marsoden:

He might have let the rumours circulate for more fame.
You know people are suckers for "Grass to grace" stories and his "third class" might have helped him win sympathy.
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by Annibiteye: 4:20am On Mar 30, 2017
obamd:

I tell you... heard this way back in the early nineties, early years as an undergraduate. Still wondering too o!
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by chacoonder(m): 4:37am On Mar 30, 2017
This is a misleading post..Prof.Wole Soyinka is *NOT* 79 yrs..He will be 83 on July 13th of this year.
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by jordyspices: 7:27am On Mar 30, 2017
Erudite professor aka john bull
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by neyopumpn(m): 7:54am On Mar 30, 2017
Zagaleti is an International Organization with focus on Africa. We are currently seeking office OWNERS for FRANCHISE.
Kindly click https://k0b1y9l8k3.mailerlite.com/t7p4k6/ for more information.
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by obafemee80(m): 1:25pm On Mar 30, 2017
It doesn't matter
What matters now is that you are now a professor and a Nobel laureate in literature
Re: Soyinka Dispelled The Insinuation That He Graduated With Third Class by ademasta(m): 1:47pm On Mar 30, 2017
Ok

(1) (Reply)

Mandela Did This Ritual Everyday In his 20 Years Solitary Confinement / Unijos Resumption Date / Uniben Release Part Time And Diploma Exam Result For 2008/2009 Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.