Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,209 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

[superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons (1459 Views)

Ifa Spiritual System Is Not A Source Of Magic, Superstition And Lies... / New Man Movement Online Seminar: The Making Of Men / The Making Of The Collapsed Church Building In Uyo (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

[superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by johnydon22(m): 10:06pm On Mar 30, 2017
What is wrong with us?
How did we get this far?
How did it all get down to this level?

These were the questions that troubled my mind through out today as I looked with total dismay what primitive savages Nigerians have been turned into by our stubborn cling to disturbing superstition that contradicts reason.

My sadness was affirmed by the fact that I looked on at Africans doing what in every essence is unafrican, I looked on with untold horror at the blatant barbarism meted on the weak and frail, utter disrespect heaped on the head that bear grey hairs.

This is not who we are!
This is not how we used to be!
This is not what our culture is about!
This is not us!!

It is a common sight to see an old woman or a little girl being lynched by a mob of senseless youths in so many corners of the south with a preposterous accusation of “witches”
This pricking bother, a lingering pain in my mind was unearthed today as I looked on with horror at stories about old women that were supposedly witches littered all over the internet today.

Frail, old, weak and tired women naked and bloody from the sting of an unforgiving pack of morons led by fear and their simplistic clutch at demeaning superstition.

Shamed, beaten and let out in the open for all to feast their eyes filled with malice and unmerited anger.

It saddens me how we could be reduced to such outrageous state, a level that makes us no more than cave men with smart phones.

How did we get so Unafrican in the long run.

The African society boasts of a rich culture that reveres the old, respect the grey haired and protect the children.

Here we are on the cross road of history, we have turned on those deserving our protection, the grey hair of the aged becomes a mark that comes with undeserved stigma, a pointer that garners misplaced suspicion.

I will like you you to reason with me right now as you read this, ask yourself.

why is it that mostly old women and children are always at the center of most accusation on witchcraft?

we have thousands of politicians, none has ever being pin pointed as a witch and given the same treatment we so heartlessly met out on weak fragile creatures like old women and children.

Maybe being poor and old is now a pointer to being a witch.
Maybe being weak and vulnerable makes you more likely to be a witch.

I have many a time written against the dangers of superstition, I have at many times called out the disparaging effects of such beliefs – we are a generation of smart morons.

the inclusion of foreign beliefs, myths and superstition into our social structure has in so many ways damaged the very sanity of our societal form, disrupted the very foundation of our moral compass, we are riding on waves we are ignorant of, fools following blindly riding on the back of heavy propagandas filled with promises of post-humorous reward or untold horrors of an ever burning fire.

The very Europeans that we so sheepishly follow in belief and ideas made away with such degrading practice such as believing in witches, witch hunting, maiming or killing women or kids accused of witchcraft hundreds of years ago.

This is known to history as the dark ages.

In a world rocked by unprecedented boom in civilization, scientific breakthroughs and technological wonders, in the year Anno Domini 2017 Africans are still reenacting the very practices discarded as dark and undeserving of humanity.

We still have confined ourselves in a dark age that has been as a result of our inability to reason independently and objectively.

We still let undiluted piety to the charges of bible wielding con-men who prey on our fears and our vulnerability to make profits, we still let this piety run our thoughts and the way we see the world.

We still fill our world with so much fear and unhealthy suspicion that even harmless animals like cats, albino cockroaches are manifestation of witchcraft.

This is a lamentation on a generation that is so disappointing, a rotting society that is taken for ransom by unparalleled ignorance and superstition.

I only can hope that we realize the faults in our thoughts, the faults in our belief and the faults in our actions.

Lift ourselves above such primitive savagery and for once move along wit the time, the world waits for us no longer.

20 Likes 10 Shares

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by Nobody: 10:14pm On Mar 30, 2017
Wow. Nice write up.

If only many would read to the very end without scrolling, only to hit the REPLY button & type "TOO LONG"...

Lalasticlala come see better write up filled so much with sense and strucking words to Africans, particularly Nigerians atlarge.....

Hope lala moves this to FP

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by hahn(m): 10:15pm On Mar 30, 2017
Land for sale! grin

1 Like

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by Silentscreamer(f): 11:28pm On Mar 30, 2017
Not a bad write up. Government shuld to do something bout this. These accusations and killing of peeps for witchcraft is becoming too rampant.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by Naturalized(m): 11:54pm On Mar 30, 2017
While it is easy to jump on both bandwagons - that of belief and unbelief in the supernatural - it really doesn't take much to think deeply about issues and apply a bit of rationale in situations as appropriate.

I am more agnostic than atheist but I find that both sides have a point.

Take for instance the Port Harcourt story, while it may sound like baloney to you, someone who doesn't believe in the existence of a supernatural (and by extension witches/wizards), did you at anytime ask yourself the question of what time the woman was discovered at that location? Did you consider the possibility that if she had been 'dumped' earlier commuters would have seen her earlier and the story wouldn't have happened around 9am? These are the questions we must always seek answers to inasmuch as we want to be the 'right' ones.

Just as I have seen religious folks claim any and everything as supernaturally designed with complete disregard for the realities of science, so have I seen atheists/agnostics reject the possibility of being science being wrong - which unknown to many is a possibility in itself as professed by many a renowned scientists.

1 Like

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by Pdizzle(m): 7:00am On Mar 31, 2017
It is really disheartening bro. The part that baffles me most is how we cherry pick in choosing the way of life of the Europeans we worship so much. We hold on to the most babaric things, we really need more education.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by cooncudee(m): 8:13am On Mar 31, 2017
im sorry for nigerians. religion is making us blind and heartless. people place thier religious beliefs/laws over the laws of the federation. when will we be free from this mental bondage!!

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by JackBizzle: 8:36am On Mar 31, 2017
adepeter26:
Wow. Nice write up.

If only many would read to the very end without scrolling, only to hit the REPLY button & type "TOO LONG"...

Lalasticlala come see better write up filled so much with sense and strucking words to Africans, particularly Nigerians atlarge.....

Hope lala moves this to FP

The person you are asking is one of the superstitious Moro...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by Nobody: 8:44am On Mar 31, 2017
JackBizzle:

The person you are asking is one of the superstitious Moro...
You mean Lalasticla#la shocked

grin grin

You wan chop 100 yrs ban ABI cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by JackBizzle: 8:48am On Mar 31, 2017
adepeter26:

You mean Lalasticla#la shocked

grin grin

You wan chop 100 yrs ban ABI cheesy

Create username

Get banned

Repeat

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by akintom(m): 8:52am On Mar 31, 2017
I'm dominantly a choleric (far from emotional pole). But nothing moves me to bitter cry (sometime having tears above normal temperature, streaming down my eyes), like seeing the weaker folks in the society, dehumanized, terrified and slaughtered with the most ferocious savagery. All because one religious idiocy commanded it.

It hurts me more, when i see folks, who claim to be loving and caring (based on their delusion), leading or inspiring these savagery.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by plaetton: 9:18am On Mar 31, 2017
akintom:
I'm dominantly a choleric (far from emotional pole). But nothing moves me to bitter cry (sometime having tears above normal temperature, streaming down my eyes), like seeing the weaker folks in the society, dehumanized, terrified and slaughtered with the most ferocious savagery. All because one religious idiocy commanded it.

It hurts me more, when i see folks, who claim to be loving and caring (based on their delusion), leading or inspiring these savagery.

Are there any doubts at all that these totally useless middle East sh.it religions are very toxic, and are the equivalent of depleted uranium on the mind, the African mind ?

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by hahn(m): 10:37am On Mar 31, 2017
Naturalized:
While it is easy to jump on both bandwagons - that of belief and unbelief in the supernatural - it really doesn't take much to think deeply about issues and apply a bit of rationale in situations as appropriate.

Take for instance the Port Harcourt story, while it may sound like baloney to you, someone who doesn't believe in the existence of a supernatural (and by extension witches/wizards), did you at anytime ask yourself the question of what time the woman was discovered at that location? Did you consider the possibility that if she had been 'dumped' earlier commuters would have seen her earlier and the story wouldn't have happened around 9am? These are the questions we must always seek answers to inasmuch as we want to be the 'right' ones.

Just as I have seen religious folks claim any and everything as supernaturally designed with complete disregard for the realities of science, so have I seen atheists/agnostics reject the possibility of being science being wrong - which unknown to many is a possibility in itself as professed by many a renowned scientists.

You have gotten it all wrong

The scientific process is about research, logic and bases it's conclusions on irrefutable fact

Religion on the other hand bases it's conclusions on dogma, assumptions and belief

If I am expected to believe those women are witches then you might as well believe that they are aliens

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by Naturalized(m): 1:22pm On Mar 31, 2017
hahn:

You have gotten it all wrong

The scientific process is about research, logic and bases it's conclusions on irrefutable fact

Religion on the other hand bases it's conclusions on dogma, assumptions and belief

If I am expected to believe those women are witches then you might as well believe that they are aliens

When you say facts/irrefutable facts doesn't that basically mean what you know to be true at that point in time? In this case that human cannot shape-shift? What if..What if in the slightest shapeshifting were possible but cannot the accounted yet for by the laws of physics? You agree with me that the purpose of science is to question known beliefs, create a new conclusions (which may in turn be a law) until someone else comes along to refute the claim. For years many scientist believed the earth to be flat? Do we call them stupid?

I have made my stance about religion clear, its all dogmatic, or as they say 'faith', but it doesn't mean that what science knows to be true right now may actually not be found (by science) to be wrong.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by hahn(m): 2:01pm On Mar 31, 2017
Naturalized:

When you say facts/irrefutable facts doesn't that basically mean what you know to be true at that point in time?

True

In this case that human cannot shape-shift? What if..What if in the slightest shapeshifting were possible but cannot the accounted yet for by the laws of physics?

True. But what religion also has little evidence to prove shape shifting

You agree with me that the purpose of science is to question known beliefs, create a new conclusions (which may in turn be a law) until someone else comes along to refute the claim. For years many scientist believed the earth to be flat? Do we call them stupid?

No we do not but when proof began to pop up that the earth is actually round, scientists have accepted their mistakes and adjusted their textbooks whereas there are still theists today that "believe" the earth is flat despite all the proof that suggests otherwise simply because their religion supports it

I have made my stance about religion clear, its all dogmatic, or as they say 'faith', but it doesn't mean that what science knows to be true right now may actually not be found (by science) to be wrong.

You make sense

However, the crux of the matter is that we do not have to rely on "belief" to draw conclusions

Scientists will say "provide proof of shape shifting and I will agree"

Religion says "I believe there is shape shifting even if I have never seen a case or a such a case has never been documented"

3 Likes

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by Immorttal: 2:34pm On Mar 31, 2017
The Holy Bible said "suffer not the witch to live.am not surprised because Their god Yahweh ( who allegedly created the universe) is an infamous master killer and lover of roasted flesh aroma. cry
Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by Nobody: 4:52pm On Mar 31, 2017
You know what's funny about this

When anyone speaks out about this, the response you'll get is "pray they don't "get" you" or some other inane brain-washed nonsense.

I have said it before and I'll say it again.

If the stupidity of the Nigerian masses can be harnessed into electrical energy; we'll have enough electricity to power this whole African continent and beyond

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by cooncudee(m): 9:54pm On Mar 31, 2017
Naturalized:

have u asked yourself where the oyinbo witches and wizards went, they sure once had them in abundance before and they were burnt at the stake. Were they all killed? no. The white man has purged himself of those archaic beliefs. They've reviewed and rejected the nonsense. The woman's story you heard/read is a padded version of somebody's supposition of what happened, that has passed through and has been refined by many mouths/hands before reaching your hearing/view. call someone a thief in the market and of course people will believe you and assist in lynching the person just because he looks like a thief. somebody probably came up with the idea and it gained traction because of the way she looked. Trust me, most of the people at the scene weren't there when it 'supposedly' happened. Have you even asked why she isn't stark naked?

What isn't right isn't right. The 'witches' the Russian woman saved haven't killed her.

Moreover, branding people witches and discriminating against them or meting out punishment on them based on our religious convictions is unconstitutional.

Nigeria is filled with morons.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by frank317: 10:01pm On Mar 31, 2017
How do i credit you when I post this on my Facebook wall? That's if i am permitted.
Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by johnydon22(m): 10:29pm On Mar 31, 2017
frank317:
How do i credit you when I post this on my Facebook wall? That's if i am permitted.

My facebook moniker... Johnysky Agbaeze
Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by frank317: 10:31pm On Mar 31, 2017
johnydon22:

My facebook moniker... Johnysky Agbaeze

Thanks
Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by Nobody: 10:44pm On Mar 31, 2017
Lalasticlala, Come see snake naw.
Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by plaetton: 6:46am On Apr 01, 2017
Naturalized:

When you say facts/irrefutable facts doesn't that basically mean what you know to be true at that point in time? In this case that human cannot shape-shift? What if..What if in the slightest shapeshifting were possible but cannot the accounted yet for by the laws of physics? You agree with me that the purpose of science is to question known beliefs, create a new conclusions (which may in turn be a law) until someone else comes along to refute the claim. For years many scientist believed the earth to be flat? Do we call them stupid?

Kindly name any of the world's scientists that believed that earth the was flat. The earth was believed to be flat in prescience eras.

If something cannot be proven by known scientific methods, then based on WHAT does a person like you believe that thing ?

If the scientific method has , over the past centuries , clearly proven itself as the pre-eminent arbiter of reality and existence, then , again I Ask, what is the point or benefits of tethering one's mind or worldviews on non-scientifically provable superstitions ?

Thirdly, I might ask, why do beliefs in non-scientific phenomena flourish in poor, scientifically backward societies?
How come we don't hear of old women turning into birds or cats in Europe, America, Canada, Switzerland,Singapore, etc, but only in third world, semi-primitive basket case Nations infested with middle East shi.t religions ?

I have quoted this many many times, and I repeat it again.
It is better, and human history will testify, to begin with doubts, questions and uncertainty, and then gradually arrive at facts , certainty and truth than it is to begin with certainty and truth, and then later end up with doubts.
When the later happens, cognitive dissonance becomes one's best friend.

This showcases the difference between science and belief/faith.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: [superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons by johnydon22(m): 9:20am On Jul 18, 2018
adepeter26:
Lalasticlala, Come see snake naw.

grin

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Find Good Christian Telegram Channel? / Can Anyone Explain This Christian Logic? / Transgenders Strip Naked In Front Of Kids On TV To Normalise Sex Change Surgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.