Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,751 members, 7,817,081 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 (4868 Views)

DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Again! / Let's Discuss Gotv N Dstv New Subscription Price. / Dstv/gotv increase subscription fee Effective From June 2020 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by Ivegotsolutions(m): 5:45pm On Apr 01, 2017
I got this sms notification from DSTV today. Too bad! They will continue to milk us when we don't have a government that defend her citizens.
Read the sms after the cut....

Dear DStv customer, due to a price adjustment ,your Compact package fee has changed from N6,000 to N6,300 effective 1 May 2017.

Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by omophunky(m): 5:46pm On Apr 01, 2017
Ok
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by Nobody: 5:55pm On Apr 01, 2017
How much is that in rands? Anyway, it's not by force. Cable TV is a luxury item for those that can afford it. There's a price increase every year. If you can't keep up,
then simply disconnect.

*modified*

That's about R266 & here we pay more, R365 for the same package undecided
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by thesicilian: 6:03pm On Apr 01, 2017
ZarZar:
How much is that in rands? Anyway, it's not by force. Cable TV is a luxury item for those that can afford it. There's a price increase every year. If you can't keep up,
then simply disconnect.

*modified*

That's about R266 & here we pay more, R345 for the same package undecided
I have disconnected mine since last year. Not because I can't afford it, but because I have become too pissed off with their exploitation.
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by Nobody: 6:04pm On Apr 01, 2017
thesicilian:

I have disconnected mine since last year. Not because I can't afford it, but because I have become too pissed off with their exploitation.

Exploitation how? You pay way less than we do.

Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by oloriooko(m): 6:14pm On Apr 01, 2017
Got same sms on.my gotv sub from 1800 to 1900 from 1st of may
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by thesicilian: 6:17pm On Apr 01, 2017
ZarZar:

Exploitation how? You pay way less than we do.
We all know how much they have been milking Nigerians for decades, with the arbitrary almost-yearly increases, billing you at the same rate whether you use the service throughout the month or not, etc
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by bkool7(m): 6:19pm On Apr 01, 2017
Something we don't get light to watch .
I only watch it at night when I on gen.
I stopped paying last month .
when I get home I just eat and browse to sleep .
when I get visitors I will subscribe
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 01, 2017
thesicilian:

We all know how much they have been milking Nigerians for decades, with the arbitrary almost-yearly increases, billing you at the same rate whether you use the service throughout the month or not, etc

Wow, you guys like to complain. It increases every year even here, furthermore, we pay more for the same packages & yet we don't complain. The billing is the same too. Whether you watch or not, they still charge you the same amount, unless you decide not to pay, at which they automatically disconnect you.

1 Like

Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by thesicilian: 7:07pm On Apr 01, 2017
ZarZar:

Wow, you guys like to complain. It increases every year even here, furthermore, we pay more for the same packages & yet we don't complain. The billing is the same too. Whether you watch or not, they still charge you the same amount, unless you decide not to pay, at which they automatically disconnect you.
There are different sets of people in this life - there are those that take whatever comes to them without complaints, there are those who continue to make noise until things change. What DSTV is doing is overdue for a change and I believe that change will come sooner if all speak with one voice. And the fact that some can still afford it does not mean they should keep quiet
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by Nobody: 7:15pm On Apr 01, 2017
thesicilian:

There are different sets of people in this life - there are those that take whatever comes to them without complaints, there are those who continue to make noise until things change. What DSTV is doing is overdue for a change and I believe that change will come sooner if all speak with one voice. And the fact that some can still afford it does not mean they should keep quiet

Lol, I'd argue & say we're the biggest complainers in the continent, if not the entire world...when it is necessary. The difference here is that, this is a LUXURY item, for your own entertainment. It is not by force that you must have it. Some of us actually GET IT, hence we don't make unnecessary noise over things we have a choice whether to have or not have.

1 Like

Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by thesicilian: 7:24pm On Apr 01, 2017
ZarZar:

Lol, I'd argue & say we're the biggest complainers in the continent, if not the entire world...when it is necessary. The difference here is that, this is a LUXURY item, for your own entertainment. It is not by force that you must have it. Some of us actually GET IT, hence we don't make unnecessary noise over things we have a choice whether to have or not have.
Hahaha. When a LUXURY service becomes monopolized in a way that those who cannot afford it, cannot go for cheaper services, it becomes more or less an ESSENTIAL service.
Remember when GSM services first came out in Nigeria, SIM cards cost up to N45,000 and whether you use your airtime or not, there was an expiry date.
Now things have changed. The telecom agents now stand at street corners begging you to take the SIM cards free of charge and when you buy airtime, there is no more expiry date, except for special packages.
I know very soon it will be like that for Cable TV in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by Nobody: 7:31pm On Apr 01, 2017
thesicilian:

Hahaha. When a LUXURY service becomes monopolized in a way that those who cannot afford it, cannot go for cheaper services, it becomes more or less an ESSENTIAL service.
Remember when GSM services first came out in Nigeria, SIM cards cost up to N45,000 and whether you use your airtime or not, there was an expiry date.
Now things have changed. The telecom agents now stand at street corners begging you to take the SIM cards free of charge and when you buy airtime, there is no more expiry date, except for special packages.

You're missing the point-it's a matter of choice. You do have your local TV stations that are free to watch, right? Here we have SABC & Etv channels, that's what people who can't afford cable TV watch. So stop making it sound like there are no cheaper or even free options for those that can't keep up with the payments & annual price increase.

2 Likes

Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by Escalze(m): 4:03pm On Apr 02, 2017
Free to air ti take over grin

Nigerians go still subscribe.
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by bigabbey: 6:06pm On Apr 02, 2017
If you have a dstv dish or any dish wasting away in your house.call 08066653723 let us help you put it in good use.
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by femi4: 3:10pm On May 01, 2017
Nonsense
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by Nobody: 9:08am On May 02, 2017
thesicilian:

Point of correction dstv isn't a monopoly as there are alternatives available in the market
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by Nobody: 9:09am On May 02, 2017
ZarZar:

You're missing the point-it's a matter of choice. You do have your local TV stations that are free to watch, right? Here we have SABC & Etv channels, that's what people who can't afford cable TV watch. So stop making it sound like there are no cheaper or even free options for those that can't keep up with the payments & annual price increase.
Local channels that we pay to watch?
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by Nnachi404(m): 9:26am On May 02, 2017
4ME FREE TO AIR 4 EVER
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by thesicilian: 9:52am On May 02, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Point of correction dstv isn't a monopoly as there are alternatives available in the market
Startimes? Or what other alternatives are you talking about?
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by iwarannamdi(m): 11:51am On May 02, 2017
Experience fast 5G Lite Internet speed with great features like Adblock, Full screen mode, Flash play, Javascript, Security, Privacy and lots more on Zi 5G Internet Browser for Android. Get it now on Google Play Store free!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.zivux.browser
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 02, 2017
thesicilian:
Startimes? Or what other alternatives are you talking about?
Yes. The altetnatives are star times, Consat,act TV e.t.c. all these are alternatives .the only monopoly multi choice enjoys is broadcast of epl and other football leagues in Sub Sahara Africa. Part from that, other pay TV offer similar service delivery
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by thesicilian: 3:47pm On May 02, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Yes. The altetnatives are star times, Consat,act TV e.t.c. all these are alternatives. the only monopoly multi choice enjoys is broadcast of epl and other football leagues in Sub Sahara Africa. Part from that, other pay TV offer similar service delivery
Hahaha
You think I want to subscribe 12k for satellite TV to be watching Papa Ajasco or Telemundo? Bro, EPL & Champions league na the koko, every other one na bonus. That's why we are angry that there's no option per se...
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by Nobody: 4:20pm On May 02, 2017
thesicilian:

Hahaha
You think I want to subscribe 12k for satellite TV to be watching Papa Ajasco or Telemundo? Bro, EPL & Champions league na the koko, every other one na bonus. That's why we are angry that there's no option per se...
I know so you got to bear it because epl gave multi choice the licence for sub Sahara Africa
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by AlphaStyles(m): 11:15pm On May 26, 2017
awon thief's
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by bodnel: 12:58pm On Jul 14, 2017
Hello house I have a DStv decoder given to me about a year ago , how would I go about it , since the information on the smart card isn't mine , all effort to get the info from my distance relative who gave me e decoder looks quiet abortive , what else can I do please
Bodnel@yahoo.com
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by Wilfem(m): 2:39pm On Jul 15, 2017
bodnel:
Hello house I have a DStv decoder given to me about a year ago , how would I go about it , since the information on the smart card isn't mine , all effort to get the info from my distance relative who gave me e decoder looks quiet abortive , what else can I do please
Bodnel@yahoo.com
Just don't worry yourself. Contact an installer around you and he'll get it done for you. An experienced installer will be able to bring out the Smart card number and that's all!

1 Like

Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 18, 2017
thesicilian:

Hahaha
Then be ready to pay through your nose to watch epl
Re: DSTV To Increase Subscription Price Effective 1 May 2017 by VTPASS: 3:52pm On Aug 02, 2017
Make use of https://www.vtpass.com/dstv now for paying, renewing and subscribing to any DStv plan of your choice.

(1) (Reply)

Saint Obi: Loving His Return! / X-men Origins: Wolverine - Excellent Cinematography / Teen Wolf Season 4 Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.