Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,121 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Application Of GIS And Remote-sensing In Agriculture - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Application Of GIS And Remote-sensing In Agriculture (2564 Views)

Conduct Your Soil Sampling / Land Survey Using GIS And Remote Sensing / The Disadvantages Of Shifting Cultivation In Agriculture / Why Nigerian Slay Queens Should Embrace Agriculture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Application Of GIS And Remote-sensing In Agriculture by Factism(m): 10:40pm On Apr 02, 2017
Remote sensing is the act of getting information about a particular location without being there physically but with the aid of satellite.
GIS means the Geographic Information system. it is a system that involves accessing, processing, analyzing of remotely sensed data. GIS technology has been used successfully in various fields including Agriculture.
Its used in developed world for precision agriculture.
Geographic Information Systems are incredibly helpful in being able to map and project current and future fluctuations in precipitation, temperature, crop output, and more.
By mapping geographic and geologic features of current (and potential) farmland scientists and farmers can work together to create more effective and efficient farming techniques; this could increase food production in parts of the world like Nigeria, that are struggling to produce enough for the people around them.
GIS can analyze soil data combined with historical farming practices to determine what are the best crops to plant, where they should be planted, and how to maintain soil nutrition levels to best benefit the plants.
Many organizations are now implementing GIS systems including the United States Agriculture Department, USDA. They use many GIS variations in each of the USDA sectors to best capture what that department specializes in; in recent months, however, the benefit of combining this information has been realized due to the incredible capacity of GIS to transform and combine large amounts of data into a data set.
In the United States GIS systems are used by the USDA to protect crops, solve crop issues, and investigate fraudulent claims of crop damage as well as give farmers an easy way to access information about their crops season by season.
Currently, i have been able to estimate and map erosion rates, classify land suitability in maps,take sample points for soil analysis, monitor crop health and vigour with GIS (ARCGIS Application) for the purpose of my postgraduate thesis.
Am opening this thread to interact with anyone using GIS Technology in agricultural field and also help and assist anyone interested in learning it, for the purpose of improving crop production in Nigeria.
Re: Application Of GIS And Remote-sensing In Agriculture by nikaShow(m): 9:48am On May 11, 2017
I like this !

I believe Agriculture and it's institutions in Nigeria would come around to its advantages.

I have worked on some Gis projects. I carried out Land suitability analysis for commercial fish ponds in Ibadan.

I'll share more details and some pics later
Re: Application Of GIS And Remote-sensing In Agriculture by Factism(m): 11:57am On May 28, 2017
@nikkashow, just seeing your post, i have been busy. I am.impressed someone of interest is here.

Which GIS software do.you make use of

1 Like

Re: Application Of GIS And Remote-sensing In Agriculture by emak1991: 8:09pm On May 10, 2020
My work.I'm a GIS (Geographic information system analyst). I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index).etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.thanks and God bless.
Re: Application Of GIS And Remote-sensing In Agriculture by Atlanticfire: 9:39pm On May 10, 2020
emak1991:
My work.I'm a GIS (Geographic information system analyst). I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index).etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.thanks and God bless.

Can you identify areas with more reliable electricity in Nigeria for the purpose of setting up small and medium scale businesses that will benefit from public power supply. You could analyse the night pictures from such areas for example to know areas with relatively stable power at night as a means of comparison.
Re: Application Of GIS And Remote-sensing In Agriculture by akin1991: 9:07am On Jan 08, 2021
Get d best GIS (Geographic information system) training..u will ive d opportunity to learn different things like NDWI(normalized difference water index),NDVI (Normalized difference vegetation index),Time mapping, 3d mapping, georeferencing,digitizing,Geocoding,watershed delineation, stream extraction, digitizing in google earth, image classification, land cover mapping, land change modeler and celulla automata/Markov chain for land cover forecast/prediction, creation of web map(Qgis2web),map publishing (Qgis cloud),preparation of data,buffering analysis, service area analysis, cost path,location allocation analysis, contour mapping etc..... U will also have d opportunity to use different GIS software's such as ArcGis,Qgis,surfer,idrisi terrset,Global mapper,smartGIS, SAS planet,map puzzle etc... Online training 7k, physical training 40k.call 08106244065
Re: Application Of GIS And Remote-sensing In Agriculture by akin1991: 7:09pm On Jan 20, 2021
Get d best GIS (Geographic information system) training..u will ive d opportunity to learn different things like NDWI(normalized difference water index),NDVI (Normalized difference vegetation index),Time mapping, 3d mapping, georeferencing,digitizing,Geocoding,watershed delineation, stream extraction, digitizing in google earth, image classification, land cover mapping, land change modeler and celulla automata/Markov chain for land cover forecast/prediction, creation of web map(Qgis2web),map publishing (Qgis cloud),preparation of data,buffering analysis, service area analysis, cost path,location allocation analysis, contour mapping etc..... U will also have d opportunity to use different GIS software's such as ArcGis,Qgis,surfer,idrisi terrset,Global mapper,smartGIS, SAS planet,map puzzle etc... Online training 12k, physical training 40k.Call 08106244065
Re: Application Of GIS And Remote-sensing In Agriculture by emak1991: 2:26pm On Jan 21, 2021
Get d best GIS (Geographic information system) training..u will ive d opportunity to learn different things like NDWI(normalized difference water index),NDVI (Normalized difference vegetation index),Time mapping, 3d mapping, georeferencing,digitizing,Geocoding,watershed delineation, stream extraction, digitizing in google earth, image classification, land cover mapping, land change modeler and celulla automata/Markov chain for land cover forecast/prediction, creation of web map(Qgis2web),map publishing (Qgis cloud),preparation of data,buffering analysis, service area analysis, cost path,location allocation analysis, contour mapping etc..... U will also have d opportunity to use different GIS software's such as ArcGis,Qgis,surfer,idrisi terrset,Global mapper,smartGIS, SAS planet,map puzzle etc... Online training 12k, physical training 40k.call 08106244065
Re: Application Of GIS And Remote-sensing In Agriculture by nuelleoz(m): 12:21am On Jan 07, 2022
nikaShow:
I like this !

I believe Agriculture and it's institutions in Nigeria would come around to its advantages.

I have worked on some Gis projects. I carried out Land suitability analysis for commercial fish ponds in Ibadan.

I'll share more details and some pics later

I have some fishes, 800g - 1200g for sale. Location is Ilesa, Osun state.
Quote me if interested for further details
Re: Application Of GIS And Remote-sensing In Agriculture by emak1991: 1:52pm On Jan 11, 2022
For your GIS training (Online and physical) and project, contact Center for Geospatial Science and 3D Graphics Design Ltd (CGS3D). Call +2348106244065 or +2347089382284

(1) (Reply)

Mill Your Animal Feed If You Are In Ibadan At A Cheaper Price. / Please How Do Sell My Plantain / Get your Peanut Coating Machines in Lagos Nigeria. Haulage is Nationwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.