Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,622 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

5 Foods You Should Avoid When Trying To Lose Weight - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 5 Foods You Should Avoid When Trying To Lose Weight (2215 Views)

Top 10 Foods You Should Avoid During Weight Loss / See Things To Avoid When Pregnant / Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Foods You Should Avoid When Trying To Lose Weight by gechyy2(f): 10:41am On Apr 03, 2017
Losing weight requires a lot of discipline especially from the food you eat. Exercising, then eating the wrong foods is like a wild goose chase – you would not have a significant decrease in your weight because you keep replacing the fat lost with unhealthy diet.

Here are 5 foods you should not eat when trying to lose weight

1. Deep Fries: Deep fried foods (foods covered with lots of oil while frying )such as French fries, fried plantain, potato and plantain chips, akara (bean cake) etc. potato on its own is a healthy food when boiled, but when fried it becomes unhealthy, same with other fried foods. Deep fried foods introduce a lot of oil and calories in your meals.

2. Sugary Drink: A typical Nigerian on the go snack on soft drinks and junk foods, the parties are not left out because sugary drinks are a norm, drinks we offer our guest are sugary drinks the truth is these drinks are laden with processed sugar of no nutritional value but can lead excessive weight gain. The practice of still going on sugary drinks when you are trying to lose weight should be totally eliminated because such decision could hamper your weight loss goals.

3. Carbohydrates: When it comes to carbs, reducing the carbs in your diet is the best way to go if you are trying to lose weight. The fact that carb is a staple food in most homes in Nigeria tend to make individuals eat it in excess, which in turn stalls weight loss goal. These carbs include- white bread, pasta (spaghetti), white rice, yam etc.

4. Junk Foods: These junk foods have a high amount of sugar and fat in them. They are made in different ways to attract people with sweet tooth, they are actually sweet but of no nutritional value, the likes of pastries, cakes, biscuits etc. These foods don’t satisfy your hunger so in a short while you are on your way to another food.

5. Ice Cream: Delicious indeed but high in calories and has so much sugar added. Definitely not a good choice if you want to lose weight. Some would say a little doesn’t hurt but mind you it’s very easy to consume a lot at a go. So it’s better to abstain so as to achieve that perfect body you always wish for.

Reducing or totally eliminating some of these foods from our diet promotes good health and can help prevent heart and blood vessel diseases.

See More:http://www.womanlycare.com
Re: 5 Foods You Should Avoid When Trying To Lose Weight by chukxie(m): 11:41am On Apr 03, 2017
I'm guilty of all... I'm trying to lose some belly fat yet I keep eating rice, bread and occasionally hamburgers and French fries. In fact, I'm having a burger, French fries and a cup of Pepsi now. I don tire oooo!
Re: 5 Foods You Should Avoid When Trying To Lose Weight by gechyy2(f): 4:30pm On Apr 03, 2017
chukxie:
I'm guilty of all... I'm trying to lose some belly fat yet I keep eating rice, bread and occasionally hamburgers and French fries. In fact, I'm having a burger, French fries and a cup of Pepsi now. I don tire oooo!
replace your cravings with healthy foods, a meal could be 100% fruit juice and vegetable salad..in all discipline is key!
Re: 5 Foods You Should Avoid When Trying To Lose Weight by chukxie(m): 5:13pm On Apr 03, 2017
gechyy2:
replace your cravings with healthy foods, a meal could be 100% fruit juice and vegetable salad..in all discipline is key!

Thanks, mate! I'll discipline myself in order to achieve my weight loss goal.
Re: 5 Foods You Should Avoid When Trying To Lose Weight by Nobody: 2:30pm On Apr 04, 2017
chukxie:

Spot reduction doesn't work. You can't lose fat from one place. It has to happen evenly all over your body. Doing stomach exercises without changing your diet would only build muscles underneath the fat.
Re: 5 Foods You Should Avoid When Trying To Lose Weight by chukxie(m): 2:44pm On Apr 04, 2017
Gaara101:

Spot reduction doesn't work. You can't lose fat from one place. It has to happen evenly all over your body. Doing stomach exercises without changing your diet would only build muscles underneath the fat.

Which approach do you suggest, mate? I'm going on fruits this month and doing cardio. I hope it works.
Re: 5 Foods You Should Avoid When Trying To Lose Weight by Nobody: 3:31pm On Apr 04, 2017
chukxie:

Which approach do you suggest, mate? I'm going on fruits this month and doing cardio. I hope it works.

The only approach is to go on a calorie deficit. That's how fat is lost. Let more create a scenario below.

For example, you consume 2500 calories in a day and your body burns 2000 calories in a day, what do you think happens to the extra calories? It is stored as body fat.

What you have to do is to try the opposite. You consume 1500 calories in a day. After you body burns the 1500 calories, it takes the remaining 500 calories from your body fat. It has been estimated that 3500 calories equals a pound of fat. Thereby, eating a calorie deficit of 500 for seven days would reduce your body fat by 1 pound. (theoretically)

There are different ways to do this.
1. Reduce your food intake a day to 1500 calories.
2. Reduce your food intake a day to 1750 calories and burn 250 calories through exercise.

The above scenario is just an example. An adult male definitely burns more than 2000 calories in a day. What you need to do is to calculate your BMR. Google 'Free BMR calculator' and you'll input your values (height, weight) to get a glimpse of what your intake should during the period of weight loss.

I must advise you to quit taking junk food, the soda drinks, chocolates, ice creams. They have high number of calories but aren't nutritious at all. You'll take them and still feel hungry thereby making you to eat more food and before you know you are taking way too Mich calories.

1 Like

Re: 5 Foods You Should Avoid When Trying To Lose Weight by chukxie(m): 4:17pm On Apr 04, 2017
Gaara101:

The only approach is to go on a calorie deficit. That's how fat is lost. Let more create a scenario below.

For example, you consume 2500 calories in a day and your body burns 2000 calories in a day, what do you think happens to the extra calories? It is stored as body fat.

What you have to do is to try the opposite. You consume 1500 calories in a day. After you body burns the 1500 calories, it takes the remaining 500 calories from your body fat. It has been estimated that 3500 calories equals a pound of fat. Thereby, eating a calorie deficit of 500 for seven days would reduce your body fat by 1 pound. (theoretically)

There are different ways to do this.
1. Reduce your food intake a day to 1500 calories.
2. Reduce your food intake a day to 1750 calories and burn 250 calories through exercise.

The above scenario is just an example. An adult male definitely burns more than 2000 calories in a day. What you need to do is to calculate your BMR. Google 'Free BMR calculator' and you'll input your values (height, weight) to get a glimpse of what your intake should during the period of weight loss.

I must advise you to quit taking junk food, the soda drinks, chocolates, ice creams. They have high number of calories but aren't nutritious at all. You'll take them and still feel hungry thereby making you to eat more food and before you know you are taking way too Mich calories.

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. I'm done with junk food for good. One problem I have is the consumption of rice - a staple diet in the part of the world where I live. Discipline is the key. Thanks, mate for your expert advise.
Re: 5 Foods You Should Avoid When Trying To Lose Weight by muscleunited(m): 4:28pm On Apr 04, 2017
hard to say no to them goodies.. and lemon cheese cake.. arhh..vanilla shake.. the cream.. ill say every thing be consumed in little portions. portions !!portions..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJEpzLvyMDw
Re: 5 Foods You Should Avoid When Trying To Lose Weight by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 04, 2017
chukxie:

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. I'm done with junk food for good. One problem I have is the consumption of rice - a staple diet in the part of the world where I live. Discipline is the key. Thanks, mate for your expert advise.

You're welcome, mate.

I don't think rice should be a problem unless you take it too much. A cup of cooked rice contains 204 calories. So you can adjust it. Take proteins also, even if you tale little, it also gives you a feeling of satisfaction. You can get the app 'my fitness pal'.

It has a large database of food and their respective calories.
Re: 5 Foods You Should Avoid When Trying To Lose Weight by chukxie(m): 5:17pm On Apr 04, 2017
Gaara101:

You're welcome, mate.

I don't think rice should be a problem unless you take it too much. A cup of cooked rice contains 204 calories. So you can adjust it. Take proteins also, even if you tale little, it also gives you a feeling of satisfaction. You can get the app 'my fitness pal'.

It has a large database of food and their respective calories.

Thanks. I've just checked my BMI and the verdict is ''Overweight''. Time to work on my weight starts tomorrow. Good night from here. And thanks again for all the tips you shared...
Re: 5 Foods You Should Avoid When Trying To Lose Weight by Nobody: 6:03pm On Apr 04, 2017
chukxie:

Thanks. I've just checked my BMI and the verdict is ''Overweight''. Time to work on my weight starts tomorrow. Good night from here. And thanks again for all the tips you shared...

No problem.

Also check your BMR as well

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For January 24 2022 In Nigeria / How To Reduce Garlic Odor After Use / Advantages Of Being Tall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.