Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,287 members, 7,829,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease (24252 Views)

Meningitis Outbreak – FG Orders 800,000 Vaccine Doses From Europe / Meningitis Outbreak: Bisi Alimi Tells Nigerians Not To Rely On Holy Water / Meningitis Outbreak In 16 States In Nigeria. See Affected States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by Kaslyni: 12:32pm On Apr 03, 2017
I hear vaccines are not even available here in sokoto for Gods sake meningites is nothing new here up North its an annual reccorance sighting how the weather conditions turn out... seing how inept this nation is even regarding a predictable future?... sometimes one cant help but reason with those who refere to Nigeria as a zoo
Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by bareal(m): 12:37pm On Apr 03, 2017
lpiffy:
ebola was contained, this shouldnt be a problem

For this confused govt?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by watchindelta(m): 12:43pm On Apr 03, 2017
NIGERIA EMM NO FOOD FOR U PPL DISEASES COME JION AM, WHO NA NEED GOD HAND OHHH undecided undecided undecided shocked shocked
Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by chiraqDemon(m): 12:44pm On Apr 03, 2017
maxiuc:
Signs of endtime

So shocking even me is not prepared for the coming of our lord Jesus Christ

God save us all
There are disease outbreaks everytimes, even less now than b4, bubonic plague in 1300s, ebola in 2014 etc
Its not a sign of anybody coming back or going away
Just means that the virus or bbacteria or anything that causes the disease has found a way to spread faster and that the conditions for this spread have been met especially dirty environment and low personal hygiene amongst a large group or large groups of ppl
Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by Nathan2016: 12:47pm On Apr 03, 2017
Seeing

Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by castel428: 12:51pm On Apr 03, 2017
and let NEPA never take light in the middle of the night.
Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by FRANKOSKI(m): 1:37pm On Apr 03, 2017
JESUS IS MY HELPER AND I HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR.
Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by ikorodureporta: 1:39pm On Apr 03, 2017
No b dat thing wey de kill fowl?
Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 03, 2017
Does anybody know where we can get vaccinated against meningitis in Lagos?
Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by Wuminity(f): 2:54pm On Apr 03, 2017
Lassa fever na rat. Ebola na monkey. Then what is the cause of the disease gangan, make we know abeg. Besides am not sure those number of people listed dead are truly dead, Nigeria why?
Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by ice74: 2:56pm On Apr 03, 2017
arlomah:
Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s how to prevent spread of the contagious disease .

Following the recent outbreak of Cerebrospinal Meningitis (CSM) in Nigeria, about 328 deaths have been recorded so far according to the Federal Ministry of Health.

Cerebrospinal Meningitis (CSM) is most often caused by the bacteria Neisseria meningitides. Bacterial meningitis is an infection of the meninges, the thin covering of the brain and spinal cord. Symptoms of the disease include stiff neck, high fever, rash, headache, vomiting, and confusion.

The report from the Health Ministry indicated that 90 local government areas across 16 States including Lagos, Osun, Zamfara, Kano, Katsina, Sokoto, Kebbi, Niger, Nasarawa, Jigawa, FCT, Gombe, Taraba, Yobe, Cross Rivers, and Plateau; to have been affected with the epidemic.

According to statistics from the Ministry, 2524 people have been affected across the states and131 samples confirmed in the laboratory with majority as meningitides type C.

As a result of the contagious nature of the disease, it is pertinent to educate Mainlanders on the necessary measures to take to prevent its spread.

While the disease can cured if presented early, a statement released by Boade Akinola, Director Media and Public Relations of the Ministry advised that citizens should endeavor to do the following to prevent spread of the disease.

• Avoidance of overcrowding
• Sleeping in well ventilated places
• Avoidance of close and prolonged contact with cases
• Proper disposal of respiratory and throat secretions
• Strict observance of hand hygiene
• Reduction in sharing utensils
• Avoidance of self medication
• Reduction in hand shaking, kissing or medical intervention such as mouth resuscitation
• Usage of relevant stereotype vaccination for meningococcal

http://insidemainland.com/2017/04/03/meningitis-outbreak-heres-prevent-spread-contagious-disease/

in addition to the above is chemoprophylaxis:
ciprofloxacin 500mg start only or Rifampicin 600mg start only.

1 Like

Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by spawnx: 5:35pm On Apr 03, 2017
Meningitis has been around for quite a while. It usually occurs during the hot and humid season. I remember when I was growing up in Kaduna in the 80s', we were lined up and vaccinated within 24-48 hrs of an outbreak.

I wonder what has changed.
Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by mvem(m): 7:58pm On Apr 03, 2017
Wuminity:
Lassa fever na rat. Ebola na monkey. Then what is the cause of the disease gangan, make we know abeg. Besides am not sure those number of people listed dead are truly dead, Nigeria why?
....u no sabi meningitis...it mostly happens in the core north during the intense heat..they do give vaccination, i received mine when i was small....nothing to worry about, it happens every year
Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by Wuminity(f): 6:00pm On Apr 04, 2017
mvem:
....u no sabi meningitis...it mostly happens in the core north during the intense heat..they do give vaccination, i received mine when i was small....nothing to worry about, it happens every year
Oh thank you. I`m just hearing it for the first time.
Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by d33types: 8:21pm On Apr 04, 2017
maxiuc:
Signs of endtime

So shocking even me is not prepared for the coming of our lord Jesus Christ

God save us all

Shut up and stop displaying your ignorance.it's a normal thing at this time of the year in the Northern parts of Nigeria .don't bring God into this. Its a poverty thing.
Re: Meningitis Outbreak; Here’s How To Prevent Spread Of The Contagious Disease by mrvictor005: 12:19pm On Apr 10, 2017
the new way of solving your financial problems, see details below.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fire Accident At Igbologun Sea, Lagos / PLEASE HELP !!!, Yellow Fluids Comes Out Of My Nose When Ever I Bend Deep.(pics) / Bad Condition Of Health Clinic In Ipokia LGA In Ogun (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.