Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,393 members, 7,826,517 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? (2044 Views)

You Bootlick Northerners In Expense Of Your People: Wike Fires Back At Amaechi / Kogi Has Been Faring Well Under My Watch', Gov. Bello Boasts Of Achievements / Dambe: A Game Of Relaxation For The Northerners In Obalende - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Nowenuse: 8:39pm On Apr 04, 2017
Both the Middlebelt and Core-northern states were all part of the same Northern region during the colonial period and even after independence. Western education, administration, social amenities e.t.c came to both regions the same time and infact, Core-northernerns even had an advantage because they already had towns/cities before the British came and they ruled the Northern region and were in Positions of Power.

But why is it that today, the average person from Jos-Plateau, Southern Kaduna, Kogi, Benue, Kwara, Niger is most likely to be more educated, more exposed and not as poor as the average person from Yobe, Kebbi, Sokoto, Zamfara, Jigawa or Kano?

When you check the poverty or illiteracy rates of Nigerian states you find a very clear difference between middlebelt and far northern states. Many middlebelt states are even beginning to catch up with some southern states despite the fact that education came fifty years later to the Northern region.

The difference between both groups of people is becoming more obvious by the day and this has become the more reason why most Middlebelters or Northern minorities feel increasingly ashamed to identify with the Northern identity unlike in the past when all identified as One Arewa or OneNorth.

What is really the major problem/cause?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by nigeriancritic1(m): 8:43pm On Apr 04, 2017
Islam!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by farouk0403(m): 8:46pm On Apr 04, 2017
Op what are you scared of? just hit the nail on the head.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Nowenuse: 8:57pm On Apr 04, 2017
nigeriancritic1:
Islam!

But there are many muslims in the middlebelt too!
Muslims are the majority or about half in Niger, Kwara, Kogi and Nasarawa states, but people from these states are still faring far better than their counterparts in the core-north. Yorubas have so many muslims too. I dont think it's really about religion.
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by nigeriancritic1(m): 9:00pm On Apr 04, 2017
Nowenuse:

You can't be serious. Check taraba, plateau, benue, abuja and nasarawa.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Nowenuse: 9:07pm On Apr 04, 2017
farouk0403:
Op what are you scared of? just hit the nail on the head.

Hit what nail on the head? What else do you want me to say?
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 04, 2017
op why should dey align with poverty terrorism child marriage Fulani massacre desert encroachment....dey are prone to all communicable diseases meningitis ebola and d rest...for me is better dey fight for der own right....d only prob dey have is dat most of der governor's deserve impeachment.....ESP Benue and kogi

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by farouk0403(m): 9:23pm On Apr 04, 2017
Nowenuse:

Hit what nail on the head? What else do you want me to say?

You are asking an indirect question, while you already knew the answer.

Culture and religion differs
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by realnas(m): 9:27pm On Apr 04, 2017
A number of factors contribute to this mainly polygamy, you see the average core northerner has at least 3 wives with alot of children, he the head of the family is not in a position where he can provide for those three wives and their numerous children, a situation where the baba is struggling to provide tuwo da miyan kuka other soundry things like education will take a back seat .
Most middle belters came in contact with xtian missionaries who were able to send some of them to church funded schools and some where able to further their education in the UK and the US ,this exposure contributed in the way the average middle belter views family, education marriage etc I'm not saying core northerners are bad but the issue of polygamy in my view has had far much more negative influence on northern society than anything else

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 9:54pm On Apr 04, 2017
[quote author=nigeriancritic1 post=55267742]
You can't be serious. Check taraba, plateau, benue, abuja and nasarawa.[
/quote]
Taraba is not part of north central. U forget to add niger ,kogi and kwara which are all Muslims dominated state.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Basic123: 11:03pm On Apr 04, 2017
Nowenuse:

Muslims are the majority or about half in Niger, Kwara, Kogi and Nasarawa states, but people from these states are still faring far better than their counterparts in the core-north. Yorubas have so many muslims too. I dont think it's really about religion.
you should have let him die with his ignorance and religious bigotry.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Nowenuse: 12:03am On Apr 05, 2017
farouk0403:

You are asking an indirect question, while you already knew the answer.

Culture and religion differs

I don't know any answer. If u say culture, u may have to expansiate in what way because the various tribes of the middlebelt do not have the same cultures and outlook of life. And even among the core-northernerns, the Hausas, Pure fulanis, Kanuris, Shuwa arabs e.t.c have different cultures too.

Besides, the middlebelt is a religiously mixed region, so it's not clear
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by NASTYNASOSO: 12:12am On Apr 05, 2017
Nowenuse:
Both the Middlebelt and Core-northern states were all part of the same Northern region during the colonial period and even after independence. Western education, administration, social amenities e.t.c came to both regions the same time and infact, Core-northernerns even had an advantage because they already had towns/cities before the British came and they ruled the Northern region and were in Positions of Power.

But why is it that today, the average person from Jos-Plateau, Southern Kaduna, Kogi, Benue, Kwara, Niger is most likely to be more educated, more exposed and not as poor as the average person from Yobe, Kebbi, Sokoto, Zamfara, Jigawa or Kano?

When you check the poverty or illiteracy rates of Nigerian states you find a very clear difference between middlebelt and far northern states. Many middlebelt states are even beginning to catch up with some southern states despite the fact that education came fifty years later to the Northern region.

The difference between both groups of people is becoming more obvious by the day and this has become the more reason why most Middlebelters or Northern minorities feel increasingly ashamed to identify with the Northern identity unlike in the past when all identified as One Arewa or OneNorth.

What is really the major problem/cause?
HMMMNN
PLEASE WHAT PROMPTED YOU TO WRITE THIS POO?
HAVE YOU EVER TRAVELLED TO THE NORTH AND THE MIDDLE BELT TO MAKE THIS GRAVE BLADERISH.
YOU EVEN HABE THE AUDACITY TO EVEN MENTION KANO STATE AS IF YOU HAVE BEE BITTEN BY A RAVAGED RABIS INFECTED DOG.
ALL THE MIDDLE BELTANS ARE CRYING DUE TO DOMINANCE OF THE CORE NORTH IN ALL AFFAIRS EDUCATION I
GUY YOUR OLODO ACUMEN kHAS JUST GOT UPGRADED
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Nowenuse: 12:18am On Apr 05, 2017
realnas:
A number of factors contribute to this mainly polygamy, you see the average core northerner has at least 3 wives with alot of children, he the head of the family is not in a position where he can provide for those three wives and their numerous children, a situation where the baba is struggling to provide tuwo da miyan kuka other soundry things like education will take a back seat .
Most middle belters came in contact with xtian missionaries who were able to send some of them to church funded schools and some where able to further their education in the UK and the US ,this exposure contributed in the way the average middle belter views family, education marriage etc I'm not saying core northerners are bad but the issue of polygamy in my view has had far much more negative influence on northern society than anything else

You have a strong point here. Although polygamy exists in the middlebelt too but i think the percentage is far higher in the core-north and is still on high levels.
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Nowenuse: 12:30am On Apr 05, 2017
NASTYNASOSO:

HMMMNN
PLEASE WHAT PROMPTED YOU TO WRITE THIS POO?
HAVE YOU EVER TRAVELLED TO THE NORTH AND THE MIDDLE BELT TO MAKE THIS GRAVE BLADERISH.
YOU EVEN HABE THE AUDACITY TO EVEN MENTION KANO STATE AS IF YOU HAVE BEE BITTEN BY A RAVAGED RABIS INFECTED DOG.
ALL THE MIDDLE BELTANS ARE CRYING DUE TO DOMINANCE OF THE CORE NORTH IN ALL AFFAIRS EDUCATION I
GUY YOUR OLODO ACUMEN kHAS JUST GOT UPGRADED

Oga i am from the middlebelt and have been to many states of the core-north/middlebelt including the Kano you are boasting of.
I know that there is great wealth in core-northern cities like Kano, but the issue is, what the percentage of rich, educated and exposed core-northnerns to the poor, illiterate and unexposed ones?
We all know that the difference is very high.

Your people still have the highest poverty and illiteracy rates in Nigeria. You are free to search for the yearly estimates of literacy and poverty rates in Nigeria and see that middlebelt states are far better than core-northern states.

Core-north only dominates the Middlebelt politically and that is where it ends, this is because the Hausa-fulani elites are good at politics and take it to be a do or die affair.
The majority of Core-northnerns are still living in abject poverty and stark illiteracy compared to majority of middlebelt people and it baffles me that till date you will find many core-northern adults who never stepped their feet in even a Primary school.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Emekamex(m): 12:33am On Apr 05, 2017
Culture and high inter-marriages among middlebelt states play a major role.
The core north rarely marry outside and thus the positive impacts of mixing cultures is not noticed there.
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by farouk0403(m): 7:51am On Apr 05, 2017
Nowenuse:

I don't know any answer. If u say culture, u may have to expansiate in what way because the various tribes of the middlebelt do not have the same cultures and outlook of life. And even among the core-northernerns, the Hausas, Pure fulanis, Kanuris, Shuwa arabs e.t.c have different cultures too.

Besides, the middlebelt is a religiously mixed region, so it's not clear

May be you misunderstood me, but when i say culture i didn't referred it to only way of dressing or language,

culture can change the way of reasoning of different individuals to be uniform/ thesame.

For you southerners you think that the north are all Hausa speaking tribe, but you got it wrong.

there are many minorities tribes that doesn't want to associate themselves with hausa's,

but due to the adventurous nature of hausa they find a way to penetrate into those language, and the simplicity of hausa language, makes everyone to adopt it quickly.

I am from a tribe of southern Borno a But mind you 75% of my tribes men are elites and a considerable percent of my tribes men are well known in the country.

Thesame goes to other tribes like kilba's, marghi, higgi, tangale, chibok, and others.

Although we are also been segregated by those so called majority tribes like hausa, fulani, and kanuri, because of our pseudo religious nature.

Lastly not every Northerner want to associat his/her self with hausa, kanuri, just like me.

God created with different tribes for a purpose, we have to be proud of it.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Akissani: 8:02am On Apr 05, 2017
Op...which of the middle belt state are u from?
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Nowenuse: 8:17am On Apr 05, 2017
farouk0403:

May be you misunderstood me, but when i say culture i didn't referred it to only way of dressing or language,

culture can change the way of reasoning of different individuals to be uniform/ thesame.

For you southerners you think that the north are all Hausa speaking tribe, but you got it wrong.

there are many minorities tribes that doesn't want to associate themselves with hausa's,

but due to the adventurous nature of hausa they find a way to penetrate into those language, and the simplicity of hausa language, makes everyone to adopt it quickly.

I am from a tribe of southern Borno a But mind you 75% of my tribes men are elites and a considerable percent of my tribes men are well known in the country.

Thesame goes to other tribes like kilba's, marghi, higgi, tangale, chibok, and others.

Although we are also been segregated by those so called majority tribes like hausa, fulani, and kanuri, because of our pseudo religious nature.

Lastly not every Northerner want to associat his/her self with hausa, kanuri, just like me.

God created with different tribes for a purpose, we have to be proud of it.

FYI, i am not a southerner. I am from the middlebelt and know the core-north well, even your southern borno which has been badly raved by Boko haram.
Southern Borno are somehow part of the northern minorities and are religiously mixed just like the middlebelters with many christian populations.
I guess u may be Bura (the largest tribe of that region)?

I know that your people are quite more literate and exposed compared to the average Kanuri or Hausa but because the other tribes are majority in your states then it makes you all look the same from an overall point of view.
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Nowenuse: 8:18am On Apr 05, 2017
Akissani:
Op...which of the middle belt state are u from?

Plateau. Why did u ask?
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by farouk0403(m): 8:38am On Apr 05, 2017
Nowenuse:

FYI, i am not a southerner. I am from the middlebelt and know the core-north well, even your southern borno which has been badly raved by Boko haram.
Southern Borno are somehow part of the northern minorities and are religiously mixed just like the middlebelters with many christian populations.
I guess u may be Bura (the largest tribe of that region)?

I know that your people are quite more literate and exposed compared to the average Kanuri or Hausa but because the other tribes are majority in your states then it makes you all look the same from an overall point of view.

I still stand by my word

I Am Not A HAUSA!

I dont care how long it takes for me to convince and educate people on their myopic thought about the north and the various tribes found in the north.

Just like you, you are from the north according to the map but your tribe and culture is different
from the Hausa's

same applied to us, we are northerners but we ain't Hausa's
our culture and language is completely different.

what piss me off the most is the hausa's even have the audacity to called us 'kabila' meaning outsiders
just because our accent differs.

So mr Op i am not hausa, i am proud of my tribe, but i wont fault you because you are from the middle and maybe you have little knowledge about the minorities found in the north
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Akissani: 8:47am On Apr 05, 2017
Nowenuse:

Plateau. Why did u ask?
rubbish....is ur state beta than kano or kaduna state?....or is ur state more educated than kano or kaduna?.....I am very sure that u are a pained christian from plateau state
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Nowenuse: 5:29pm On Apr 05, 2017
Akissani:
rubbish....is ur state beta than kano or kaduna state?....or is ur state more educated than kano or kaduna?.....I am very sure that u are a pained christian from plateau state

I cannot compare Plateau with Kaduna state because half of Kaduna state people (Southern Kadunas) are the same people with Plateau people (similar languages and cultures).
Talking about Kano, which is purely core-north, yes, Kano is more developed and larger than Jos. But the question is 'what is the percentage of the educated and well to do Core-northernerns in Kano compared to the poverty stricken and illiterate mallams, almajiris, beggars e.t.c?
The beggars, almajiris and poor ones outnumber the rich and average ones like 80/20 and this is why the official poverty rate of Kano state is still higher than Plateau state. This is also the reason why Plateau state has a higher literacy rate than Kano state.

The population of Jamb registered candidates of last year was posted here on nairaland some time ago and i observed that both Kano and Plateau states had about 50,000 indigenes who registered for Jamb. What an anomaly. Kano state has far more indigenes than Plateau, even probably more than twice of Plateau indigenes, yet such statistics. While states like Benue and Kogi have about 70,000-80,000, far ahead of mighty Kano.
I don't want to go into these statistics, but if u wish to prove yourself intellectually, am up for the challenge.
Besides, is Kano and Zaria all u core-northernerns have? These places are just two among others like Zamfara, Jigawa, Kebbi, Sokoto, Yobe, Bauchi e.t.c and these states overtime have always produced the highest poverty rates in any survey ever carried out.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Blue3k(m): 6:02pm On Apr 05, 2017
Since I don't feel like doing too much research I'll do a laymen stab at it. The middle belt states are more educated for one. Statisticly this is proven with Jamb. Education has positive correlation to lifetime learning and job opportunities. Next lots of middle belt states have better economy per capita. States like Kogi engage in lots of mining along with other activities carried out in the state.

I would add better family planning aswell even though I have no stats on that.
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by stonemasonn: 6:16pm On Apr 05, 2017
At the end of the day we are all poor in this country especially in the whole north, no thanks to Hausa-Fulanis who have the power in their hands but will not move forward neither will they allow others move ahead.
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Nowenuse: 10:03am On Apr 06, 2017
farouk0403:

I still stand by my word

I Am Not A HAUSA!

I dont care how long it takes for me to convince and educate people on their myopic thought about the north and the various tribes found in the north.

Just like you, you are from the north according to the map but your tribe and culture is different
from the Hausa's

same applied to us, we are northerners but we ain't Hausa's
our culture and language is completely different.

what piss me off the most is the hausa's even have the audacity to called us 'kabila' meaning outsiders
just because our accent differs.

So mr Op i am not hausa, i am proud of my tribe, but i wont fault you because you are from the middle and maybe you have little knowledge about the minorities found in the north

My God, did i ever say that u are Hausa?
I know Borno very well and i can list out almost all the indigenous tribes of Borno from Kanuri to Shuwa arab, Bura, Marghi, Kibaku (chibok), Tera, Gude, Govoko, Glavda and all the numerous tribes in Gwoza LGA.
So what exactly is your point?
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by farouk0403(m): 5:29pm On Apr 06, 2017
Nowenuse:

My God, did i ever say that u are Hausa?
I know Borno very well and i can list out almost all the indigenous tribes of Borno from Kanuri to Shuwa arab, Bura, Marghi, Kibaku (chibok), Tera, Gude, Govoko, Glavda and all the numerous tribes in Gwoza LGA.
So what exactly is your point?

ok, no problem. i understand
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by Nowenuse: 12:53pm On Apr 07, 2017
Blue3k:
Since I don't feel like doing too much research I'll do a laymen stab at it. The middle belt states are more educated for one. Statisticly this is proven with Jamb. Education has positive correlation to lifetime learning and job opportunities. Next lots of middle belt states have better economy per capita. States like Kogi engage in lots of mining along with other activities carried out in the state.

I would add better family planning aswell even though I have no stats on that.

Well, i think the family planning is one of the main issues afterall.
Re: Why Are Middlebelters Faring Better Than Core-northerners In Nigeria Today? by PatriotTemidayo: 2:50pm On Apr 07, 2017
Because they are not brainwashed or they do not have the herder genes that make people line up behind stupid believes.

Jos is a modern city, not in terms of its structure or look, it houses some of the most intelligent people I have ever met. They allow mainstream education and despite the fact that they are religious people(Christians majorly), they educate their children and allow reason access to their minds. That's the difference.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

NNAMDI KANU The Peoples Leader, In Owerri Today. / Breaking News - Governor Rotimi Akeredolu......... / What Really happened In Dapachi Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.