Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,512 members, 7,854,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 12:06 PM

Senate moves To Restrict Arms Use In Certain Domestic Operations By Armed forces - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate moves To Restrict Arms Use In Certain Domestic Operations By Armed forces (474 Views)

Senate Moves To Approve E-Voting For Future Polls / Oil Marketers To Shut Down ALL Loading Operations By Midnight / Senate Moves To Unbundle Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate moves To Restrict Arms Use In Certain Domestic Operations By Armed forces by Blue3k(m): 1:51am On Apr 06, 2017
*As Bill to establish a Universal Postal Service Fund scales second Reading

By Henry Umoru

ABUJA- THE move by the senate to put in place a law to restrict the use of Arms in certain internal Security Operations by the Armed Forces yesterday got a boost as the bill scaled second reading.

The bill provides for an effective legal framework for the use of armed forces in internal security operations as well as ensure the observance of the rules of engagement and international conventions on the use of force and fire arms by the armed forces during internal operations.

In his lead debate yesterday, Senator David Umaru, APC, Niger East, sponsor of the Bill titled, ” Armed Forces( Restriction on Use in Certain Internal Security Operations, etc) Bill, 2017″, A bill for an Act to regulate the use of the armed forces of the Federation in internal security operation and for this purpose prescribe the conditions and procedure for its deployment in aid to civil security authorities to suppress domestic emergencies such as insurrection, civil disturbances, ethno- religious clashes, interdiction of Narcotics, drug and controlled substances; joint military and police anti-robbery patrol; and for related matters, said that the Bill would promote information sharing and effective collaboration between the armed forces and the Civil Security authorities in the interest of Nigeria’s counter-terrorism campaign.

According to him, it will also stipulate conditions, procedure and other safeguards in the use of the armed forces in internal security operations, adding that it would also ensure that the military capability of the armed forces to discharge its primary constitutional duty is not undermined and the statutory responsibilities of the civil security authorities is not unintentionally stultified.

He said that the Bill would stipulate punitive measures against arbitrary use of the armed forces as well as promote accountability regarding the use of the armed forces in aid to civil security authorities.

Senator Umaru said that the Armed Forces of the Federation as contained in the Bill would include the Nigerian Army, the Nigerian Air-force, the Nigeria Navy and such other branches of the armed forces of the federation as may be established by an Act of the National Assembly.

Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu who presided over yesterday’s plenary, referred the Bill to the Committee on Defence, with four weeks to report back.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/04/senate-moves-restrict-use-arms-certain-internal-security-operations-armed-forces/

Note I edited title because it was too long.

1 Like

Re: Senate moves To Restrict Arms Use In Certain Domestic Operations By Armed forces by sarrki(m): 2:04am On Apr 06, 2017
The military in the first place as nothing to do with most of the work assigned to them

It's because we have a weak police system that's why they are involved

So telling a military man not to use gun is like telling a referee not to use whistle during football match

2 Likes

Re: Senate moves To Restrict Arms Use In Certain Domestic Operations By Armed forces by Desyner: 2:21am On Apr 06, 2017
When will PIB be passed?

1 Like

Re: Senate moves To Restrict Arms Use In Certain Domestic Operations By Armed forces by Blue3k(m): 2:22am On Apr 06, 2017
This bill is going to be interesting. Thino about the murders of IBOP in Anambra and Shiite Muslims in Zaria. Such incident might be better avoided with this bill. It might be conjecture on my part for now though.

Better information sharing always a plus between the two agencies. If I'm correct both are controlled by the Federal government so I wonder why they don't work closer together anyway.

We do need to stop using Armed forces arbitrarily it would avoid and accountability. I feel like soldiers stretched thin doing police duties all over country. I agree with Senator David Umaru, APC, Niger East.

2 Likes

Re: Senate moves To Restrict Arms Use In Certain Domestic Operations By Armed forces by MadamExcellency: 2:57am On Apr 06, 2017
sarrki:
So telling a military man not to use gun is like telling a referee not to use whistle during football match

Does it include using a gun to settle family dispute?

The spouses and the children of armed personnels are on death row should they question any misbehaviour or vices from their father if I should put this comment in a messy context.

That's risky, my friend. This bill is the most important and urgent bill with regards to regulating the use of force in internal security at the moment.

This bill will help squeal constitutional dictatorship.
Re: Senate moves To Restrict Arms Use In Certain Domestic Operations By Armed forces by Caseless: 3:33am On Apr 06, 2017
sarrki:
The military in the first place as nothing to do with most of the work assigned to them

the bill didn't say they won't use guns. I think it's talking of where they can be deployed for operation.

1 Like

Re: Senate moves To Restrict Arms Use In Certain Domestic Operations By Armed forces by Funlordmaniac(m): 3:38am On Apr 06, 2017
sarrki:

Even at 2 am again? You still dey here dey rant?

My guy come jam us for strip club abeg make you drink henny rub ass...its ladies night for _fucks sake! grin
Re: Senate moves To Restrict Arms Use In Certain Domestic Operations By Armed forces by Blue3k(m): 4:02am On Apr 06, 2017
sarrki:

I think your misunderstood reread the blue bold section. The senator made sure to avoid that situation.
Re: Senate moves To Restrict Arms Use In Certain Domestic Operations By Armed forces by Adminisher: 4:41am On Apr 06, 2017
The Senate cannot tamper with the constitution that gives President the power to use the military. No bill can change that . The President will merely veto the rubbish.
Even the Nigerian military can go to court. The Senate cannot tamper with their right to develop rules of engagement
Re: Senate moves To Restrict Arms Use In Certain Domestic Operations By Armed forces by Blue3k(m): 9:59am On Apr 06, 2017
What's up with these mods. How does a topic about domestic politics get moved to Foreign affairs?

(1) (Reply)

Reuben Abati’s Dubious, Inconclusive Research On Dino Melaye: Ogashub.com.ng / Nigerian Intelligence Claims Ownership Of $50million Found In Lagos Apartment / Tension As Imo Assembly Wants 110 Autonomous Communities Nullified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.