Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,499 members, 7,830,505 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions (27540 Views)

Planes Wedged Together After Collision At Aberdeen Airport / The Beauty Of Abuja Airport Runway At Night As It Nears Completion / Arik Air To Buy Boeing Planes To Double Its Fleet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by Jakumo(m): 7:20am On Apr 07, 2017
At ground speeds above 20 knots during a typical takeoff roll, most jet airliners transition from steering the nose-wheel with the hand-operated tiller, which produces up to a 20 degree range of deflection from a straight line, to steering with the rudder pedals, whose own range of wheel deflection is limited to just 6 degrees to either side of a straight line.

The tiller is ONLY used during taxi to, and from, the runway of arrival or takeoff, while the rudder is used exclusively at all ground speeds above 20 knots, with typical rudder inputs being very subtle, and limited to the small corrections required to track the DEAD STRAIGHT runway center-line as the aircraft thunders down the runway under full takeoff throttle settings.

The concept of a circular runway will NEVER work in practice, because of the major steering inputs that would be required to keep the aircraft in a constant turn around that circular path. As speed builds during takeoff, any deviation from a dead straight line would cause the aircraft to become unstable due to tangential forces that would arise, resulting in the bird simply veering off the circular runway into an uncontrollable crash. With all this in mind, I therefore join the Almighty Baale of San Fernando Valley, Egun Mogaji, in reaching for my bullchit whistle in order to raise a timely alarm to the inherent falsehood of this tall tale about circular airport runways.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by stevebond007(m): 7:22am On Apr 07, 2017
KingRex1:

Oga they can always tilt a lil after touch down. Its way better than before touch down

Now imagine, landing with no flaps, no reverse thrust,
Applying the brakes
How can one maintain in the circle, without difficulties?

1 Like

Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by Nobody: 7:22am On Apr 07, 2017
it is lovely, maybe we should do it in Nigeria too.
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by hillsway(m): 7:24am On Apr 07, 2017
when are we going to invest in mind blowing research?

STOP ENCOURAGING SHOWS LIKE THE BB9JA AND THE REST! Shows like "work it out on N.T.A, K.K.B on Silverbird e.t.c " should be our major priority.

2 Likes

Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by ishua(m): 7:28am On Apr 07, 2017
Hmmm. This looks more of a design, than actual. @ MagnaB. The entry and exit of passengers to the airport will be underground

1 Like

Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by Incrizz(f): 7:32am On Apr 07, 2017
Gosh! How come no one thought of this before now? *spreads hands*
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by MagnaB: 7:34am On Apr 07, 2017
So not feasible a plan. Will the passengers have to cross the circumference of the airway before they can board a flight or what will convey them to the airport without having to cross the airway.

Provide me an answer to this or i'l say its a short sighted plan.

1 Like

Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by solomorinho(m): 7:35am On Apr 07, 2017
Gud for em sha. Wish naija can tire a sheet from oyinbo maybe o
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by Jakumo(m): 7:40am On Apr 07, 2017
MagnaB:
So not feasible a plan. Will the passengers have to cross the circumference of the airway before they can board a flight or what will convey them to the airport without having to cross the airway.

Provide me an answer to this or i'l say its a short sighted plan.

Passenger movement is NOT an issue here. In airports like Chicago Ohare, where I transit through quite frequently, passengers move with ease from one terminal to another, on moving walkways routed through underground tunnels that pass beneath the runways and taxiways.

The issue with a circular runway is that an aircraft at landing or takeoff speeds MUST maintain a dead straight line, with NO curvature at all. This straight line is the only way to maintain stability when a plane is zipping along at speeds in excess of 100 knots before takeoff or after landing.

5 Likes

Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by ashjay001(m): 7:44am On Apr 07, 2017
Explorers:
Nice concept, but requires professional and experienced pilots to take off/land here.

Imagine a plane with faulty flaps, having difficulties taking off, taxing round to face another taking off or landing plane.

Check d name tags, high speed exits, several of them!
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by ojimbo(m): 7:50am On Apr 07, 2017
sapientia:
Imagine what they are thinking about and we still believe in money rituals down here...
you didoing not even mention about catching old women and labelling them witch.
The most funny but strange one is that of a Governor who said that God I punishing us with Menggities because of our funovation

1 Like

Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by gloryman91: 7:51am On Apr 07, 2017
Allah please protect us, I kuku neva enter the tin before. In sha Allah one day one I enter am soon.

1 Like

Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by kelly72: 7:57am On Apr 07, 2017
Just wondering how an aircraft can land or takeoff on a circular runway. There is high speed before takeoff and after landing, are aeroplanes going to be rebuilt like tubes?
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by obinna222: 7:58am On Apr 07, 2017
Nice idea, but a circular runway isn't the safest. in extreme weather condition like snow or similar condition , a circular runway might not be the best choice for landing or taking off.

I also don't believe it's ideal for a high speed take off and emergency landing.
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by Dareomo(m): 8:02am On Apr 07, 2017
Excellent innovation.
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by Mojibola(m): 8:05am On Apr 07, 2017
One major issue would be the amount of "float". Although airplanes target touching down right at the end of the runway, that doesn't always happen. Sometimes due to excess speed, gusty winds, or a misjudged flair, the plane will float a distance down the runway before actually touching down. During this time, the plane's nose may be high, and visibility of the runway is limited. Because the runway is straight, its no problem.

But suggesting that a pilot navigate a curved runway while floating further than anticipated is just nuts. If they don't turn enough, they end up outside the curve of the runway. If they turn too much, they end up inside the curve. Either way, if they over correct at low altitude and airspeed, the chance of a catastrophic crash is unacceptably high.

#copied

4 Likes

Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by Nobody: 8:20am On Apr 07, 2017
ojimbo:
you didoing not even mention about catching old women and labelling them witch.
The most funny but strange one is that of a Governor who said that God I punishing us with Menggities because of our funovation
Really?! shocked That God is punishing nigerians with meningitis? Chai! Instead of providing treatments for the meningitis. Oh! Lawd! In other words go and pray and ask God to stop the punishment. You know? Some ignoramuses will believe it. What about people who are sick with meningitis over in England are they also been punished by God? Nigeria really is a backward country.
Blinded with religious sentiments no common sense. grin
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by martinz1: 8:24am On Apr 07, 2017
Explorers:
Nice concept, but requires professional and experienced pilots to take off/land here.

Imagine a plane with faulty flaps, having difficulties taking off, taxing round to face another taking off or landing plane.

Who will allow no professional pilot to drive their plane, do i look like i wanna die grin
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by Nobody: 8:28am On Apr 07, 2017
gloryman91:
Allah please protect us, I kuku neva enter the tin before. In sha Allah one day one I enter am soon.
Good optimism! wink one day you'll. Or you can just buy a flight ticket today it isn't that expensive from were you are to another city. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by Nobody: 8:30am On Apr 07, 2017
martinz1:

Who will allow no professional pilot to drive their plane, do i look like i wanna die grin
i wonder o! They are all professional pilots. grin if they aren't professional they wouldn't be flying would they?
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by DaInferno(m): 8:30am On Apr 07, 2017
Explorers:

so if you not professional and experienced,wetin u wan the find for airport as pilot
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by LeSaint(m): 8:31am On Apr 07, 2017
Air traffic control nightmare, definitely
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by Nobody: 8:31am On Apr 07, 2017
DaInferno:

so if you not professional and experienced,wetin u wan the find for airport as pilot
i wonder o! grin
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by lobiologs(m): 8:39am On Apr 07, 2017
Just thinking out loud here.
If the airport is round and the planes are to land at the surface area of the airport thus dividing the terminals from the general public, how are they gonna get to the terminals? Underground roads cost a lot of money and thus maki this airport much more expensive than your average airport.
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by LeSaint(m): 8:50am On Apr 07, 2017
Mojibola:
One major issue would be the amount of "float". Although airplanes target touching down right at the end of the runway, that doesn't always happen. Sometimes due to excess speed, gusty winds, or a misjudged flair, the plane will float a distance down the runway before actually touching down. During this time, the plane's nose may be high, and visibility of the runway is limited. Because the runway is straight, its no problem.

But suggesting that a pilot navigate a curved runway while floating further than anticipated is just nuts. If they don't turn enough, they end up outside the curve of the runway. If they turn too much, they end up inside the curve. Either way, if they over correct at low altitude and airspeed, the chance of a catastrophic crash is unacceptably high.

#copied

Very correct indeed.
Besides, the approach and landing guidance support system for this has not been invented yet. You have to wonder whether this concept came from an aeronautical engineer or an architect!
It's just too futuristic.
But, let's watch and see. In technology, never say never.
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by factwriter(m): 8:53am On Apr 07, 2017
sapientia:
Imagine what they are thinking about and we still believe in money rituals down here...

We are all collectively involve (guilty) of this mentality.

It's either you are thinking of Money ritual, or you already did Money ritual or you are celebrating those who did money ritual.
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by factwriter(m): 8:59am On Apr 07, 2017
Jakumo:
At ground speeds above 20 knots during a typical takeoff roll, most jet airliners transition from steering the nose-wheel with the hand-operated tiller, which produces up to a 20 degree range of deflection from a straight line, to steering with the rudder pedals, whose own range of wheel deflection is limited to just 6 degrees to either side of a straight line.

The tiller is ONLY used during taxi to, and from, the runway of arrival or takeoff, while the rudder is used exclusively at all ground speeds above 20 knots, with typical rudder inputs being very subtle, and limited to the small corrections required to track the DEAD STRAIGHT runway center-line as the aircraft thunders down the runway under full takeoff throttle settings.

The concept of a circular runway will NEVER work in practice, because of the major steering inputs that would be required to keep the aircraft in a constant turn around that circular path. As speed builds during takeoff, any deviation from a dead straight line would cause the aircraft to become unstable due to tangential forces that would arise, resulting in the bird simply veering off the circular runway into an uncontrollable crash. With all this in mind, I therefore join the Almighty Baale of San Fernando Valley, Egun Mogaji, in reaching for my bullchit whistle in order to raise a timely alarm to the inherent falsehood of this tall tale about circular airport runways.

If the things I learn about HOW PLANE FLIES during my childhood are anything to go by, then I second your analysis that this concept of a CIRCULAR RUNWAY is NOT PRACTICABLE.
Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by FYTnRUN: 9:12am On Apr 07, 2017
Clearly, whoever is proposing this circular runway didnt and haven't considered alot of factors before publicizing this great idea. I noticed how he made account for skidding since its gonna be a BANKED circular runway, but that only covers for takeoffs. What about landing?! Are planes supposed to land on a banked runway?! This clearly is a disaster because planes need their landing terrain well leveled and balanced. The proposal has alot of advantages than disadvantages, but in this case, one disadvantage is more important than a whole lot of advantages because this matter holds alot of lives.

1 Like

Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by flyforall: 9:24am On Apr 07, 2017
My only question is wouldn't this increase your takeoff run and takeoff distance as you have to turn while accelerating as against a straight and level acceleration.

1 Like

Re: Circular Runway Allows Planes To Take Off And Land In All Directions by ExInferis(m): 9:30am On Apr 07, 2017
Explorers:

Taxiing.

You missed an extra 'i'.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Asphalting Of Iweka Road Onitsha (pictures) / Governor Sanwo-Olu Inspects The Lagos Blue Line Rail Project (Videos) / Lady Dies In Fatal Accident In Kaduna, Her Son Severely Injured (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.