Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,463 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:45 PM

U Report: A Bug, A Scam. - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / U Report: A Bug, A Scam. (1695 Views)

NYSC Introduces U-report Program For Corps Members In Ondo State / Ex Corpers - This Is How To Opt Out Of U-report Messages Successfully / Solution To U-report Text Wahala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

U Report: A Bug, A Scam. by Sambest2(m): 11:06am On Apr 06, 2017
As shared by Ogadimma Mbadiwe on facebook

#U-report: My #Experience

First time “U-report” was mentioned to my hearing was during my compelled registration into it. Then I was like “report what?” later, we were made to understand that it was not an address as in “you report”, but a name of an organization alleged to be “amplifying the voice of the masses” (U-Report). That was over a year now, at Paiko training camp for my National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).

It is alleged that U-report, an sms-based platform “empowers Nigerians by enabling them participate and engage in policy-making and governance” and synonymous to “freedom” for the masses; but it actually means different things to different people; for me, it is an infection.

Wondering about the enforced registration, I inquired “Is U-Report part of NYSC programs? I got a fine response “…it is necessary!” But let’s not forget that “Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” (William Pitt).

Because of the manner we were forced into it, and my lack of interest in their usually rhetoric updates or questions like “have you ever been bullied? A) Yes B) No” or their latest question “Do you think climate change is a threat to the wellbeing and security of humans? A) Yes B) Somewhat C) No” I decided I will unsubscribe soon as I leave the camp, not knowing I was already trapped. While in service, every corps member were again forced to register twenty people, without which we can’t get our monthly stipends; we had no option. After that, I searched for ways to unsubscribe, i couldn’t find. I googled, checked the u-report website for code to unsubscribe, I found nothing. Luckily, I found and message u-report Nigeria Facebook forum, I got a response to text “help” to 24453, I was happy. I did that, followed the directions that followed… after many trials, I discovered it was sham, I always get bounced back; there was no way to unsubscribe.

For me, getting consistent messages I didn’t willingly subscribe for, with no room for me to unsubscribe is harassment. In this case, my little address to u-report is: “my freedom is more important than your good idea”

I saw a news some time ago that Nigeria is the first to reach a million subscribers on U-report platform, it was celebrated. But the truth is, it was reached through unfair means.

One of the friends I managed to register into U-report as a corp member to avoid losing my monthly stipends was always like “You put me in this, it’s a bug. Unsubscribe me!” Although I appreciate the fact that their buggy sms no longer comes often, I made a promise for him to exercise patience, that am still in search of a way out. Till now, am still searching.

U-report must have crossed over 10 million subscribers unless they stopped the enforced registration of NYSC members. They surpassed their target, I hope they can now make a way for un-subscription.

If you can help me un-subscribe, I’ll appreciate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: U Report: A Bug, A Scam. by Sambest2(m): 11:06am On Apr 06, 2017
I also experienced this in NYSC camp, we were stylishly forced to subscribe but I didn't fall prey to this scam.

I believe NYSC is still propagating this scam. Who knows how much NYSC is receiving for this .

Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: U Report: A Bug, A Scam. by Ozaha(m): 2:33pm On Aug 15, 2018
Send youreportexit to 24453
Re: U Report: A Bug, A Scam. by FreshShavedBalls(m): 8:15pm On Aug 15, 2018
You have spoken the mind of many.

Did you know that serving corp members are being made to register at least 10 people per week. As a matter of fact, for the past 4 weeks we have not had our normal CDS instead we are being forced to go to different public places such as motor parks, markets, schools etc. to register people. This is really frustrating as they are teaching corpers how to lie to people to get them to do what you want. Very few people will willfully sign themselves up to recieve unsolicited SMS when such is a already a nuisance to them

3 Likes

Re: U Report: A Bug, A Scam. by Ife2020: 10:18am On Aug 10, 2019
They don't only force you to register, they also force you to register 20 non youth corps members and like them on Facebook.
If you don't, you won't get cleared to receive your salary
Too bad angry

(1) (Reply)

Entry Level Jobs / SEE What Happened To NYSC Who Just Left Camp In Ogun State Yesterday (photos) / NYSC 2017 Batch B PCM Initial Posting To Choice State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.